Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dnkibble
Stats: 155/123/115
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: August 9 2013
Im a Newbie! help me out , please!

I just started JUDDD about 1 week ago, Im 23 yr old female about 5'7 123 lbs. I originally weighed 155 lbs back in May of this yr and i started my diet in May by just restricting calories and jogging a couple of timės each week. At the end of that diet i hit a platue at 125 lbs and now thanks to juddd i lost 3 1/2 additional lbs. According to Juddd website i should only be consuming 348 cals on dd and 1640 on ud, i didn't quite follow those instructions, i do well on dd (so far) sometimes even under 300 but on ud i consume 2,000 - 3,000 cals. So far I've been losing weight eating over 1600 on ud but again it has only been a few days. Has anyone else gone through eating more on up days and still lost weight? Also i am 123 lbs but look and feel like 140 still! Should i strength train, workout more? Any advice? Please and thank you!!!!
Dnkibble is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Confused!

Ok! So im fairly new been at this fir one week now and getting great results so far, lost 31 lbs since my diet in May but all together I've lost 3 of those lbs this past week from JUDDD! I was confused about how much to eat on the UD as he mentioned all over his website "eat what you want without international over eating" for most folks especially on a diet where you are so restricted for 24 hrs as much as you want is usually anywhere from 1800-3000 .... right? At atleast that's how i felt and im not an over weight person either. I finding that when i eat more on my ud and then have my DD i weighed less, again its only been one week but it seems to be working. But he is the dr so if he says to count even on UD i guess we shall....... ? Anyone else had success even after going over on UD a few times????
Old 08-13-2013, 10:09 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Hi Dnkibble. Welcome to JUDDD! If you're still looking to lose fat (you're at quite a low weight for you height right now though), the calculator says your UDs are 1676 and DDs are 335.

That said, and considering your weight and height, I would imagine some exercise might be just what you need to firm up and look as trim as your weight suggests. Weight training, Callanetics, anything to tone and tighten muscles should do the trick. I'm no exercise expert!

I imagine you'll want to up your calories if you're wanting to maintain your weight and add muscle mass. Hopefully someone with more expertise will chime in on this for you!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:52 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Hi Dnkibble. Congratulations on your weight loss so far.

Exercise is great to tone skin and muscles after weight loss.
However, if you started JUDDD only a week ago, then you're unlikely to have established the flow of sirtuin yet. That's the magic healing ingredient created by JUDDDing - and it seems to help our bodies to reshape with less effort.

I suggest you eat according to Dr Johnson's recommendations for a minimum of two more weeks before doing major tweaking. Also read his book, (or at least read some of the sticky threads explaining how JUDDD works), so you understand the science behind the plan.
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:37 AM   #5
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Did he change it up? I never saw anything that said eat as much as you want on Up days?
There's a calculator on the updaydowndaydiet site that lets you calculate how many UD and DD cals you should eat

BTW I merged your 2 threads together so your responses would be in 1 place
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:06 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
I do not measure my calories on my Up Days. I imagine that some days I DO eat 3,000+ calories, though. I have been doing JUDDD for five months, and it has not affected my weight loss. I am still holding steady at about 1.25-1.5 pounds per week, as an AVERAGE.

My suggestion would be don't worry about your Up Day calories as long as you are still losing weight, but don't judge your weight loss by one day or week's numbers- look at the trend over several weeks. I DO have weeks where I bounce between the same two numbers before suddenly going down a few pounds. If I got discouraged, I might quit, when really it is just coming off in chunks, not shavings.

Also, beginning NEW exercise, can cause you to retain fluid for a week or two. Be prepared for that, and don't expect it to make a downward impact on your weight right away.

Good luck, Dnkibble, and welcome to JUDDD.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:17 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
D. I'm glad you found our forum here. Same advice--if it's working for you, I wouldn't worry about going over on UDs. When it stops working (IF it stops working), you can always adjust then.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:39 AM   #8
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Welcome!! Great advice already so won't add anything! Cept glad you're here!
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:01 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: elphie124
Stats: 146/133/130ish 5'6"
WOE: JUDDD for loss / eating mindfully for maintenance
Start Date: 7/15/13
Quote:
Also i am 123 lbs but look and feel like 140 still! Should i strength train, workout more?
Lots of good advice here, but I wanted add YES to strength training. At my smallest, I always felt like I looked much heavier until I started strength training. It took a few months of being consistent with it, but it made me noticeably leaner even though I wasn't losing weight. I wish I had kept up with it! Now I'm back to it since I am the very definition of "skinny fat".

Good luck!
elphie124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:12 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jacquelinejolie
Stats: 183.4/163/130
Strength training will help. If you feel you look fatter than the scale shows, it's probably due to losing a bit of muscle with a fairly fast weight loss with what sounds like only cardio for activity?

The programs that I've done that I really like are New Rules of Lifting for Women, 5x5 / Stronglifts, Slow Burn and Body for Life. They're all easy for newbies to follow. Cathe Friedrich's STS program is fantastic but a little expensive. Lots of people enjoy Jillian Michaels, P90X, Insanity... But you aren't going to be building much muscle if you don't get enough protein in, including DD's.

I'm not sure why you aren't eating at maintenance levels... ?
jacquelinejolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:18 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Thank you so much amy! That really helps , i to am the definition of "skinny fat" ! Makes me feel very unaccomplished. We can do it together!
Old 08-14-2013, 07:26 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquelinejolie View Post
Strength training will help. If you feel you look fatter than the scale shows, it's probably due to losing a bit of muscle with a fairly fast weight loss with what sounds like only cardio for activity?

The programs that I've done that I really like are New Rules of Lifting for Women, 5x5 / Stronglifts, Slow Burn and Body for Life. They're all easy for newbies to follow. Cathe Friedrich's STS program is fantastic but a little expensive. Lots of people enjoy Jillian Michaels, P90X, Insanity... But you aren't going to be building much muscle if you don't get enough protein in, including DD's.

I'm not sure why you aren't eating at maintenance levels... ?

I want to reach 115-118, so i don't want to maintain just yet on my dd i eat 300 sometimes under and in my UD i sometimes go over. And maybe you're right maybe i am losing muscle as well how do i get it back? Im planning on setting up my own routine at home until i get my membership back . Jogging 3 days, lifting 3 lbs weights everyday for arms and basic sit ups everyday. I just wanted to get rid of some weight before i started obsessing over exercise
Old 08-14-2013, 07:30 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphie124 View Post
Lots of good advice here, but I wanted add YES to strength training. At my smallest, I always felt like I looked much heavier until I started strength training. It took a few months of being consistent with it, but it made me noticeably leaner even though I wasn't losing weight. I wish I had kept up with it! Now I'm back to it since I am the very definition of "skinny fat".

Good luck!

This has helped so much! Im glad there is someone who has had the same issue and got through it! Did you see a big difference once yo started training?
Old 08-14-2013, 07:33 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooticus View Post
Welcome!! Great advice already so won't add anything! Cept glad you're here!

Thanks for the welcome! And congrats on your loss!!
Old 08-14-2013, 07:34 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Did you see a big difference once yo started training?
In self esteem, yes. In my body - not right away. As I said, it takes time and consistency (months for me!). Patience is key.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:40 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtain View Post
I do not measure my calories on my Up Days. I imagine that some days I DO eat 3,000+ calories, though. I have been doing JUDDD for five months, and it has not affected my weight loss. I am still holding steady at about 1.25-1.5 pounds per week, as an AVERAGE.

My suggestion would be don't worry about your Up Day calories as long as you are still losing weight, but don't judge your weight loss by one day or week's numbers- look at the trend over several weeks. I DO have weeks where I bounce between the same two numbers before suddenly going down a few pounds. If I got discouraged, I might quit, when really it is just coming off in chunks, not shavings.

Also, beginning NEW exercise, can cause you to retain fluid for a week or two. Be prepared for that, and don't expect it to make a downward impact on your weight right away.

Good luck, Dnkibble, and welcome to JUDDD.

thank you so much!! It is helpful knowing that you didn't count and still had success as well! I feel much better knowing that ! I will see how the next two weeks go and some UD i will try to do the 1600 and some days i may go over. I wonder how many other Juddders go over on UD and still have lost weight...
Old 08-14-2013, 07:49 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Did he change it up? I never saw anything that said eat as much as you want on Up days?
There's a calculator on the updaydowndaydiet site that lets you calculate how many UD and DD cals you should eat

BTW I merged your 2 threads together so your responses would be in 1 place

Thanks for the merging lol im trying to get in the swing of things, it may take some time lol. And yes, he does say all over his website "eat what you want and as much as you want without intentionally over eating on UD" but then he has the calculator....kind of throws you off a bit. But i guess he just means eat your "regular" calories on ud.... I've been going over and still seem to be losing so maybe his calculator could use some readjusting or maybe i don't have enough experience to call it yet!
Old 08-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
D. I'm glad you found our forum here. Same advice--if it's working for you, I wouldn't worry about going over on UDs. When it stops working (IF it stops working), you can always adjust then.

yes! Thank you so so much! I love it here! Very very helpful! I can tell it will be much easier to reach my goals with such a wonderful system as this one!!
Old 08-14-2013, 08:00 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Planelman
Stats: 350.1/206.4/190(10%BF) 6' 44
WOE: Leangains/Carb Backloading
Start Date: 7/14/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnkibble View Post
I want to reach 115-118, so i don't want to maintain just yet on my dd i eat 300 sometimes under and in my UD i sometimes go over. And maybe you're right maybe i am losing muscle as well how do i get it back? Im planning on setting up my own routine at home until i get my membership back . Jogging 3 days, lifting 3 lbs weights everyday for arms and basic sit ups everyday. I just wanted to get rid of some weight before i started obsessing over exercise
3 lb weights are not really going to do anything for you and the best time to start weight lifting is before you lose all the weight. Every pound you lose without weight training and eating enough protein is likely to be a large portion of muscle with any fat you lose. The idea is to maintain/gain muscle and lose fat. It will be much harder to gain muscle after you lose all the weight and gaining muscle also usually means gaining fat which you will want to lose afterward.

If all you have is 3lb weights then get creative and lift other heavy things, backpack filled with heavy books, gallon of water, etc. anything heavy enough to fatigue you after 10-12 reps, for 3-5 sets. Also do body weight exercises, pushups, squats, planks, etc. All great ways to build/maintain muscle without weights or a gym.

I would also cut back on cardio, it will likely lead to muscle loss instead of building muscle. Instead do sprints once a week, and just walk some in between lifting/body weight workouts.

159.3 Pounds lost since 7/14/2011

Low Calorie: 7/14/2011 - 80lbs lost
Primal: 4/20/2012 - 55.3lbs lost
JUDDD: 4/10/2013 - 23.4lbs lost
Nutritional Ketosis 9/1/2013 - 15.4% BF
Planelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:11 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Old 08-14-2013, 08:14 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Quote:
thank you so much!! It is helpful knowing that you didn't count and still had success as well! I feel much better knowing that ! I will see how the next two weeks go and some UD i will try to do the 1600 and some days i may go over. I wonder how many other Juddders go over on UD and still have lost weight...:confused:
Me! My UD numbers were originally at 1850 and I've never changed them and often go up to 2200, still losing weight. Now, the more UDs I do at the higher numbers, the slower the loss, but I'm ok with that now as I'm at my original goal anyways. I DO count my UD numbers, though. It just makes me feel more in control knowing where I'm at all the time.

Welcome to you!!!
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Welcome dnkibble

Glad you are here.

I'm so new that I don't give advice. Except to say how valuable the
advice has been to me from others here. This is the most supportive
board for weight loss that I have ever been on.

Going daily to "My Plate" to confirm the calories and carbs and making
the commitment to a DD is very good for me. Seeing the success of so
many on this board is heartening.

Keep coming back is my only advice.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #23
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Dnkibble!
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:06 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

And yes, he does say all over his website "eat what you want and as much as you want without intentionally over eating on UD" but then he has the calculator....kind of throws you off a bit. But i guess he just means eat your "regular" calories on ud.... I've been going over and still seem to be losing so maybe his calculator could use some readjusting or maybe i don't have enough experience to call it yet!
At 23, you can get away with a lot of dietary stuff that us older ladies can't pull off anymore. Enjoy it while it lasts!

Have a look at Keeping it Lit's journal - she's your height, in her late 40's and weighs ~ 30 pounds more than your goal weight:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...eping-lit.html
Old 08-16-2013, 01:59 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planelman View Post
3 lb weights are not really going to do anything for you and the best time to start weight lifting is before you lose all the weight. Every pound you lose without weight training and eating enough protein is likely to be a large portion of muscle with any fat you lose. The idea is to maintain/gain muscle and lose fat. It will be much harder to gain muscle after you lose all the weight and gaining muscle also usually means gaining fat which you will want to lose afterward.

If all you have is 3lb weights then get creative and lift other heavy things, backpack filled with heavy books, gallon of water, etc. anything heavy enough to fatigue you after 10-12 reps, for 3-5 sets. Also do body weight exercises, pushups, squats, planks, etc. All great ways to build/maintain muscle without weights or a gym.

I would also cut back on cardio, it will likely lead to muscle loss instead of building muscle. Instead do sprints once a week, and just walk some in between lifting/body weight workouts.

If you're smart, you'll ditch the cardio and lift weights instead.

RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:32 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
If you're smart, you'll ditch the cardio and lift weights instead.
I agree if all you want is a great body. But cardio is excellent for your health and your mind. I would cut back on cardio but never ditch it completely for that reason.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by elphie124 View Post
I agree if all you want is a great body. But cardio is excellent for your health and your mind. I would cut back on cardio but never ditch it completely for that reason.
Many health professionals have agreed that cardio causes more stress to the body, canceling out any perceived health benefits.

The exception would be High Intensity Interval Training.

But just the regular old "get on the treadmill" or "run around" is starting to be viewed as not that healthy.

RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

I'm still hearing that excessive cardio is bad, but cardio itself is not. I'll have to look into it some more. YMMV, but I know for sure that it keeps me sane.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:48 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

I had a big long post written out but didn't want to bore anybody.

Did you guys see Mosley's documentary "The Truth About Exercise" for Horizon? It truly is a "YMMV" since there are super-responders and non-responders to cardio. I think Mosley found he was a non-responder and does HIIT for a few minutes on his bike ride home from work and takes the stairs 7 floors a day while at work.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquelinejolie View Post
Did you guys see Mosley's documentary "The Truth About Exercise" for Horizon?......super-responders and non-responders to cardio.
That is super interesting! I haven't seen it but I'd like to. Thanks for the heads up!