Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 06:24 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lylydvd
does juddd cause water retention?

i always have water retention problem which can make me gaining 3 inches on
waist and 3 or 4 on hips in just a week unbelievable but true!! plus i have large frame which make every pound make a difference ..
i did lowcarb for a year before i switched to juddd but every time i came to eat at maintenance{ 2000 calories with about 300 gram carbs}i start to swell up like a balloon and can't wear my clothes and this happens in just one or two weeks.
it's so frustrating because it make other people think that i gained 20 pounds and they can't believe that's only water
i know it's just water because i lose weight on 1500 cals diet and because when i do low carb for 3_4 days i lose those inches quickly
but i just want to live normal life i don't want to waste my life counting fasting measuring lowing carbs

Quote:
A possible cause of fluid retention often overlooked by people and difficult to diagnose is due to binge eating alternating with strict dieting. This can cause intermittent fluid retention.............Many people with fluid retention are overweight and losing weight can make a big difference to improve the oedema. A gradual weight loss (rather than fasting and bingeing) is recommended.
this from a medical article.. what do you think about that ?
what are your experiments with juddd and water retention?
what does former low carber do to avoid water retention after eating normal diet ?
can you gain like 4 inches from fluid retention?
lylydvd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2013, 11:30 AM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I don't think juddd causes water retention. It doesn't for me anyway. Low carb actually dehydrated me and I lost too much fluid. 4 inches sounds like a huge gain from water weight. I'm small 121lb 5'2", so I understand that a little bloat can feel like a lot. I feel really different at 123.5 than at 121.5, but I don't think anyone else can tell. No one would look at me and think I'd put on a great deal of weight. I have a tiny frame so it really can show. You said you have a large frame... I would think that would be much more forgiving...

There is a bounce with juddd, but a lot of that is just the difference between the volume of food in your digestive tract from a DD to an UD. I was unsure if you are low carb or not. When ever you carb up you regain water weight so maybe that is what you are interpreting as bloat?

If you give us your current stats (age, weight, height, gender) maybe we can be more helpful.

I read the quote you inserted and I felt that had more to do with binging and restricting. Your UD numbers should not feel like a binge. My numbers are 1550/312 so I don't have the sense that I have binged on an UD.

Hope someone can come by and help out more.
75.8 lbs were evicted in less than 14 months!
Called goal on 2/5/13 at 126.8. I can wear size 4P!

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I am the queen of water retention. When I was doing LC I could gain 10 pounds overnight if I ate off plan. I continued to bounce up and down with water retention for a long time while I was doing JUDDD. BUT it has gradually diminished to the point that I rarely puff up like roadkill any longer. I have also tracked the instant water retention to a few foods (not salt) so I avoid them now although they are not carby foods. In fact part of my problem seemed to be connected to lack of salt. For a long time I drank salt in my water and after doing that for months on end I conquered my water retention issues that I had never been able to find a cure for before. Doctors just wanted to prescribe Lasix or something similar.
So I don't think JUDDD causes water retention in and of itself.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: allisonm
Stats: 336/286/160 5'9"
WOE: LC GFCF JUDDD
According to the Drs. Eades (protein Power), insulin causes water retention. When you eat carbohydrates your pancreas secretes insulin to store the sugar as fat in order to prevent your brain from going into a diabetic coma. The entire amount of sugar in the bloodstream of a normal, healthy adult is less than one teaspoon. The more carbohydrate you eat, the more insulin you pancreas needs to secrete.

Consuming protein can cause a surge in insulin also.

Last edited by allisonm; 08-11-2013 at 12:25 PM..
allisonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jacquelinejolie
Stats: 183.4/163/130
My grandmother had fairly bad edema - they used to call it dropsy back in her day and used to prescribe either water pills or fasting (note that she was very inactive most of her life due to some degree of agoraphobia and heart problems which probably exacerbated the edema). I have heard of people developing edema temporarily when coming off fasts of a month or longer.

How active are you and how much water do you drink? I can tend to swell up a bit if I've been quite inactive or don't drink enough fluid.

According to my fancy scale #'s, in 4 weeks of JUDDD, I've gained 2.8% water as of today. It's normal hormonal fluctuations I suspect, so I'm cool with that.
jacquelinejolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I think I have more fluid retention on UDs because much of my DDs are spent getting rid of it. Plus, there's 1-2+ lbs more on the scale after UDs, so it's got to be water. However, the weight continues to go downward, so it's definitely not all water gain/water loss and I can live with that.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:21 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lanarkwitch
Stats: 343/197/178 40yo, 5'7"
Start Date: The mayans were still around
I am also prone to massive water weight bounces ( see my vacation weight bounce of 15lbs!) I have come to the conclusion (based on other symptoms) that B vitamins were sadly rather lacking in my diet and have now begun to supplement instead, I do feel a lot better and after just one DD was able to dump 5lbs overnight and thats quite normal for me if I have puffed up quickly like I did. For me JUDDD actually helps the water retention issue and I find its more manageable than it was, when it could take a week to sort it out.

If you are gaining those sorts of inches that must equate to a lot on the scale though and sounds like more than simply carb water weight regain

Last edited by Lanarkwitch; 08-12-2013 at 04:24 AM..
Lanarkwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:44 AM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Lark, I had 3 UDs and put on 3 lbs and I suspect it will take a week to two weeks to get back to my lowest weight, without skipping a DD. Do you think it's really a vitamin deficiency or is that about right? I didn't overeat on any of those days and probably a little less than my usual UD on one or two of them.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:14 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Lark, I had 3 UDs and put on 3 lbs and I suspect it will take a week to two weeks to get back to my lowest weight, without skipping a DD. Do you think it's really a vitamin deficiency or is that about right? I didn't overeat on any of those days and probably a little less than my usual UD on one or two of them.
I do 4:3 so it means I have Thursday and Friday as UD's everyweek, my bounce can be anywhere from 5-7lbs without the vitamins, with them (before my vacation) I see it was much less 2-3 lbs only and I was returning to my post UD weight after my 2nd DD of the week with the 3rd DD giving me my weight loss for the week if that makes sense?

ETA, my UD water weight is usually booze lbs though

Last edited by Lanarkwitch; 08-12-2013 at 06:25 AM..
Old 08-12-2013, 06:24 AM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

What vitamins specifically? I take B3, Magnesium, Amoryn (which has D3 and others), and a Probiotic. I definitely would take additional supplements if they help!
Old 08-12-2013, 06:35 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

* hops off to find vitamin bottle*

I am taking Swanson Super Stress B Complex with Vitamin C