Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jacquelinejolie
Stats: 183.4/163/130
Has anybody had any JUDDD effects on blood pressure?

Early last month, I had a doctor's appointment and my BP checked in at 161 / ?? (maybe 90? - can't remember, I was just so at the systolic #).

I started JUDDD on July 14. On July 25, I had my BP measured again at 148/94 and re-tested it at a pharmacy machine at 146/95.

Today, Aug 09, I measured again at THREE! different pharmacy machines (couldn't believe the numbers at the first one) and came in at 123/84, 127/83 and 130/85. The last was right after walking the dog, so I expected it to be a bit elevated.

The only things I've done differently are to start doing JUDDD - but I have only lost just under 10 pounds, drinking a bit less alcohol as a result (~one day/week now - wasn't heavy before, just unnecessarily frequent), taking 150 mg magnesium on UD's only along with occasionally 100-300 mg potassium/day because I was feeling a bit of muscle weakness in the beginning like you feel on low carb at times. And about 50,000 IU Vitamin D in that time. RDA for the magnesium is 150 mg 1-3 times / day. I don't take it on down days because it makes my stomach feel weird when there's no food in there. It's likely the reason why I don't tend to bounce up on the scale after UD's. Side bonus is it makes me sleep like a rock.

Is this normal??? If it is, My mother died of a heart attack at 56 and I was really freaking out for a little bit there.
jacquelinejolie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Lost with JUDDD! Maintaining with HDE/IE
My BP's always been on the low side of normal, but got quite low with JUDDD. I don't have any bad side effects other than occasional dizziness (which I get anyway with Vertigo, so who knows if it's related), so I don't worry about it. It's often 80-90/50-60 now.

ETA: I wanted to add that I think Magnesium has a regulatory affect on BP too, so it might be the combination of JUDDD/Magnesium. Whatever the case, that's great!!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:28 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
I don't know but my DH is talking about doing 5:2 after seeing Mosleys documentary on tv the other night for precisely the idea you are describing! I will report back if it helps!
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutter View Post
I don't know but my DH is talking about doing 5:2 after seeing Mosleys documentary on tv the other night for precisely the idea you are describing! I will report back if it helps!
I watched the Horizon documentary too! Good stuff! Weird since I used to actually belong to a CR (caloric restriction) group on yahoo back in the day (years and years ago - Roy Walford fasted one day / week back then and has some good videos on youtube) before it was mainstream but the protocol was a little drastic for me... and that was when I used to think I was a little fat at 125 pounds!

It just makes me angry that someone like my mother was on BP medication for 20+ years when a simple diet change might have saved her life. And she was never overweight either... I guess they didn't know back then - and still don't.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
My BP's always been on the low side of normal, but got quite low with JUDDD. I don't have any bad side effects other than occasional dizziness (which I get anyway with Vertigo, so who knows if it's related), so I don't worry about it. It's often 80-90/50-60 now.

ETA: I wanted to add that I think Magnesium has a regulatory affect on BP too, so it might be the combination of JUDDD/Magnesium. Whatever the case, that's great!!
I agree Dawn! I am just amazed at the speed of the change! Back when I used to be fairly fit, normal BP for me was 105-110/60-65. I've got complacent but once you get into your 40's and beyond, you realize you can't be complacent about your health because it really sucks to be sick.

And yes, that's exactly why I was taking the magnesium. Plus combined with the euphoria I get from Juddd, it's nice to have something that calms me down! LOL I didn't realize it's like the #2 most prevalent deficiency (behind vitamin D) in NA. I'd like to up the dosage but what I'm taking even now has such a laxative effect that I'd like to wait until I've built up some tolerance.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Wonderful news, Jacqueline!! I had an appointment last month and my blood pressure had greatly decreased too. It was 148/90 at one point (highest ever), and I know it was due to the weight because I have never had problems with it before, nor has anyone in my family. It's now 128/72. Or it was last month. I'd like it to get lower still. I also don't drink alcohol as frequently as I used to, and I suspect that makes a difference too.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Wonderful news, Jacqueline!! I had an appointment last month and my blood pressure had greatly decreased too. It was 148/90 at one point (highest ever), and I know it was due to the weight because I have never had problems with it before, nor has anyone in my family. It's now 128/72. Or it was last month. I'd like it to get lower still. I also don't drink alcohol as frequently as I used to, and I suspect that makes a difference too.
Ooh hooray Cindy! More numbers to track!! (It's kind of fun! If you can do something about them, that is.) Yeah, I think laying off the booze helps. There's absolutely no way I could fit a cocktail into a DD without feeling really woozy and I'd rather use the calories for FOOD. Just got into a bad habit of having a glass of wine (or two or three usually) at dinner 1/2 the time which is just silly. Good on you for your BP lowering!
Old 08-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Lost with JUDDD! Maintaining with HDE/IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I'm an anomaly. I have drinks just as often (more now that I'm not fasting) as I was before JUDDD.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:27 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I'm an anomaly. I have drinks just as often (more now that I'm not fasting) as I was before JUDDD.
Ahem. Have you seen my FB postings? You are not the only anomaly.

Good for you girls abstaining, though!
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:45 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 37yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I've never had high blood pressure, but it's on the low side now. I actually have to add salt to my diet to counter dizziness.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:57 AM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutter View Post
Ahem. Have you seen my FB postings? You are not the only anomaly.

Good for you girls abstaining, though!
Well, I do get my drink on from time to time. I just don't drink every day like I once did. Abstaining, lol.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:10 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tea cup
Stats: 152/127/124? 5'2"
WOE: Low carb, fast 5
Hey Jacqueline
Dr. Eades/Protein Power, somewhere in his blog recommends
magnesium citrate
magnesium asparatate or
magnesium malate
because they do NOT have a laxative affect. I think they are all chelated.
The magnesium that has a laxative affect are not as beneficial to the body because they are quickly flushed out with the laxative affect.
I am currently taking chelated mag citrate with NO laxative issues. When I need laxative help I take Nature Made magnesium. So all magnesium supplements are not the same.
tea cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:57 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tea cup View Post
Hey Jacqueline
Dr. Eades/Protein Power, somewhere in his blog recommends
magnesium citrate
magnesium asparatate or
magnesium malate
because they do NOT have a laxative affect. I think they are all chelated.
The magnesium that has a laxative affect are not as beneficial to the body because they are quickly flushed out with the laxative affect.
I am currently taking chelated mag citrate with NO laxative issues. When I need laxative help I take Nature Made magnesium. So all magnesium supplements are not the same.
Thanks teacup! My bottle is magnesium citrate but it doesn't say whether it's chelated or not. I didn't mind too much initially about the laxative effect because I'm also mildly anemic due to peri-menopausal TOM issues and have been taking iron supps for a couple of months, so the magnesium kind of counter-balances those side effects (constipation & heartburn). But I agree that it's not the kind of whoosh that's a good whoosh if it means I'm not retaining it long enough for it to do its job. Especially since I'm taking the absolute minimum and not even every day.

I found some good info on Mercola's site for various other types and will do some shopping around and testing to find one that stays around long enough to do what it's supposed to. Thanks again!
Old 08-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sloppail
Stats: 156.6/144.0/136 5' 3"
Start Date: JUDDD Restart May 20 2014
I had my BP done on Friday along with a myriad of tests for my yearly physical...my BP was 115/74

Kim
sloppail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jdforshort
Stats: 221/155/136, 5'4", 60yrs
WOE: Atkins/PPower/Mod Carb/JUDDD
Start Date: LC 3/23/12, JUDDD 6/2/12
I was put on BP medication in April 2012 and hoped to ween myself off with 60+ pounds of weight loss since then. But no, my BP is around 124-130/68-74 with medication! So I guess, I have to stick to it! Big positive is that I went from pre-diabetic to completely normal range and more importantly, the Hgb1C went from 6 to 5.5, which really pleased my doctor!
jdforshort is offline   Reply With Quote