Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Does anyone here do low carb JUDDD? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/809744-does-anyone-here-do-low-carb-juddd.html)

allisonm 08-09-2013 09:04 AM

Does anyone here do low carb JUDDD?

I've been mostly low carb since 1999. It doesn't make me lose weight anymore but I feel much better on low carb than when eating starches and sugars. I also find it helps to keep my hunger in check. Does anyone here do a low carb version of JUDDD?

Kissa 08-09-2013 09:06 AM

Yes, a lot of people do Low Carb or Paleo. JUDDD doesn't mind which food you use for your calories, and many people enjoy LC for just the reasons you name.

Simply count the calories in the food of your choice.

deedee 08-09-2013 09:17 AM

Hi Allison!

I've been JUDDDing since last December, and for the first six months I had given up on low carb (and still lost) but recently realized low carb makes me feel better and helps control my UD's. So I'm very low carb + JUDDD again. So far it's an immense help on my UD's, I'm actually able to stay in my calorie range and when I was eating carbs I just couldn't. The nice thing about JUDDD, I think, is you don't have to stress about eating too much cheese or a having a tomato, you'll still lose even with a little bit more carbs. When I was just vlc I started having to cut out even low-carb foods or artificial sweeteners to lose. Not so while on JUDDD!

Kissa 08-09-2013 09:27 AM

:goodpost: very true DeeDee.

allisonm 08-09-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deedee (Post 16552812)
Hi Allison!

I've been JUDDDing since last December, and for the first six months I had given up on low carb (and still lost) but recently realized low carb makes me feel better and helps control my UD's. So I'm very low carb + JUDDD again. So far it's an immense help on my UD's, I'm actually able to stay in my calorie range and when I was eating carbs I just couldn't. The nice thing about JUDDD, I think, is you don't have to stress about eating too much cheese or a having a tomato, you'll still lose even with a little bit more carbs. When I was just vlc I started having to cut out even low-carb foods or artificial sweeteners to lose. Not so while on JUDDD!

Glad to hear of your experience. I tried JUDDD briefly once before and I think my problem may have been that I used it as an excuse to abandon low carb and eat things that I shouldn't. I went out of control on my UDs.

I'm pretty optimistic that this combination of plans will finally help me get a large portion of my weight off, even if it only happens slowly.

LoCarbGal 08-09-2013 09:52 AM

I've done it both ways and although the weight loss works no matter what I'm eating (as long as I'm sticking to my calories), my appetite suppression is better lower carb, and I find I naturally trend toward lower carb because my body feels better. Carbs seem to make me tired, and kind of sore and "creaky". But when I want a treat, I definitely have it. Pizza today for lunch!

Dottie 08-09-2013 09:55 AM

On days I know I'll be eating higher fat and protein (say a cheeseburger patty or a big steak) I'll keep carbs below 50 for the day (total, not net).
If I'm having low fat (baked chicken or fish) then I keep them around 100 or less net.
For me, I find as long as I keep my starch/sugar carbs to 1 meal, it's fine. But I should say starch OR sugar, not both.
I find it's easy to stick to those guidelines since no food is off limits, and I can have it the day after tomorrow if I really want it :)

allisonm 08-09-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 16552880)
On days I know I'll be eating higher fat and protein (say a cheeseburger patty or a big steak) I'll keep carbs below 50 for the day (total, not net).
If I'm having low fat (baked chicken or fish) then I keep them around 100 or less net.
For me, I find as long as I keep my starch/sugar carbs to 1 meal, it's fine. But I should say starch OR sugar, not both.
I find it's easy to stick to those guidelines since no food is off limits, and I can have it the day after tomorrow if I really want it :)

I'll try to remember that. I know that when I eat something starchy or sugary I tend to think, "Well, I'm off plan anyway ..." and then proceed to go completely off the rails.

In general, I think a lot of my problem has been all-or-nothing thinking. I can follow Simeon's hcg protocol to the letter but then eat with reckless abandon at other times. I resisted JUDDD for a long time because it's not hardcore enough - it doesn't produce results fast enough.

I'm trying to shift my outlook to finding something that's sustainable. Your guidelines for incorporating a small indulgence here and there is a good idea.

Dottie 08-09-2013 10:09 AM

That's the attitude I had on strictly low-carb "I blew it, might as well dive in".
While I do enjoy low-carb, I guess my brain has trouble with "no you can't have that" lol and I would dive off into a pasta laden pool of bread or something ;)

pooticus 08-09-2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deedee (Post 16552812)
Hi Allison!

Great post DeeDee! I heartily concur! :D

I also low carb JUDDD. For me there's really no other option. It's the only way I lose (painfully slow loss) but it's still a loss. It also ropes in hunger on DDs for me. Last night I just didn't want anything until about 9pm. So I had 1/2 cup of low fat kefir with sf peach da vinci. And that's all I had for the day. About 110 cals. I could in no way pull that off if I ate carbs.

Sometimes it's hard to get my UD cals in cuz of the low carb. I usually just add in a bit more protein and a bit more fat in cooking (and real homemade salad dressing) and that helps me hit it.

mainemom 08-09-2013 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allisonm (Post 16552867)
I think my problem may have been that I used it as an excuse to abandon low carb and eat things that I shouldn't. I went out of control on my UDs.

Yep. This is what happened to me, too. After more than a year of LC WOE, I found I was allowing myself waaaaaay too many carby treats - I think I was subconsciously rewarding myself with treats since I was so "good" on my down days! Well, all those carby treats just served to amp up my carb-tooth and get me feeling kind of crappy. I did reach my goal weight, but then started getting cocky (carbocky? cockarby?), stopped doing fasting days and figured I just knew how to eat now so wouldn't put the weight back on. WRONG. 10 pounds later and I've gotten myself back on track with low carb, and now an intermittent fasting plan that I keep mostly low carb, with an OCCASIONAL treat thrown in. I'm gradually losing the re-gained wt and have learned that for me, low carb is necessary to keep my appetite in control, improve my insulin resistance and keep my blood sugar levels steady.

sterlinggirl 08-12-2013 01:57 PM

Ive been doing a low carb version of JUDDD since i started only because it makes me feel better.. When i do eat something like bread, even if its wheat or pasta i do bloat up like no tomorrow and just dont feel good in general.. So for me, almost a year and half now i choose to not eat bread, rice, wht potatoes and pasta, and of course the desserts ... Now thats not to say i have never ate those things. Some times i feel sorry for my self and "choose" to eat one of those items as a cheat meal and boy do i feel awefull with in like half an hour so i make the choice to avoid at all cost those things..

allisonm 08-13-2013 09:48 AM

I saw on another thread that someone in London and France, WSJ, is doing this also.

I'm happy to have some company. You all have amazing losses, too.

Sirtain 08-13-2013 08:11 PM

Hi, Allison. I do low-carb primal JUDDD. I feel better when I restrict my carbs. But JUDDD has allowed me to increase them a little on my Up Days without making it turn into a week-long binge, as it would before. :)