Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #31
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Well, forewarned is forearmed and how wise you were to get her checked out sooner rather than later. She will manage just fine with all the support that you are going to give her. But it is not what I would have wished for her.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #32
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I'm so glad it's nothing too out of the ordinary Dawn. That's very interesting about growth stopping after the period starts. I had exactly that experience. I was always one of the tallest in my class (me and my BFF who was always a little bigger than me). Then I just stopped growing and became one of the shortest. Weird identity change there for me! My BFF kept growing and now towers over me! I never associated it with puberty etc.

I hope Keira (if not mom) enjoys bra shopping. She sounds like such a great and smart kid. I'm sure she'll handle this with about as much grace and humor as is humanly possible during that time of life.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:29 AM   #33
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: handbells
Stats: too much/not enough/just right
Start Date: today!
I was 10 when I started menstruating. I did grow several inches in the following years, but I was short to begin with (I'm 5'1).

My oldest DD started wearing a bra when she was 9, I think. Maybe 9.5. She started menstruating when she was 11. She was definitely very moody for months before she started, so I figured something was up. lol. She's 13 now and is a bit taller than me and seems to still be growing (she has big feet too...way bigger than mine! hahaha)

My youngest DD (almost 9) is starting to develop breasts, but it's very minimal.

"Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!"

"Humankind is simply materialized color operating on the 49th vibration."
handbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:01 AM   #34

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
The girl I mentioned is in 7th grade and has been having her period since 5th, she has not stopped growing at all. If anything she has grown several inches since she started her period. I had never heard that you stop growing with that. Interesting.
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:22 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LiLi914
Stats: 270/215/145
Start Date: 2/16/2013
I'm so glad that you got some answers and things went well. Still sorry that Keira is growing up on you and DH, but she seems like a great kid. Keira is going to be fine and as long as you keep the lines of communication open all three of you should come out on the good side.

That's interesting about the growth spurt. I was 5'4" at the start of fourth grade, tallest person in class. Then April 1st came (yes I know April Fools) and the dreaded first period took over my life. Needless to say, I'm still 5'4" at the age of 29.

"You can always take the easy way out & give up but real strength comes when you decide to keep pushing no matter what the circumstances are."

Last edited by LiLi914; 08-09-2013 at 11:26 AM..
LiLi914 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #36

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/151/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
It's good to know some girls continued growing after menstruation. I just realized I put that she's 69 pounds. Typo: She's 89 pounds.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
I do t think you *have* to stop growing after TOM starts, it just happens hat way for some kids. Like I said, it sure did with me!

Dawn, I cannot get over the 11 1/2 yo thing!!!!! How did the ped figure that out from her appt?!? I am going to be all over this for Jenna's regular physical this fall! How crazy!!!!! I am happy to hear Kiera isn't freaked out and is tickled to go bra shopping! awwww!!! Sweet punkin!!!!!! Poor daddy, I bet he has no problem letting you handle he shopping! LOL

Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:27 AM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dawn, you are tall! I bet Kiera will keep growing after TOM. It may be more for us shorties that stop! My DH's sister is tall and she kept growing through her 20s!
Old 08-09-2013, 11:29 AM   #39

She visually examined her, looked at her breasts, under her arms, her pubic area, and compared to a book with pictures of actual girls at the varying developmental stages (showed clearly breast development and hair growth, etc.) and a chart with which stage "should" correspond with the visual representation in the picture based on averages. It's all sort of a game of averages I guess, but Keira's at the stage that would "normally" be seen in a girl of 11 1/2 years old.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutter View Post
Dawn, you are tall! I bet Kiera will keep growing after TOM. It may be more for us shorties that stop! My DH's sister is tall and she kept growing through her 20s!
I was 5'9" in 7th grade. I grew one inch after that, and have since lost it.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:34 AM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So interesting!!!!! DDs doc is male so it really outta be interesting then.

As for the height/shrinking thing, I refuse to be measured formally again. I am probably a good 2" shorter (and probably could figure that out quickly with Jenna just being measured yesterday), but I am just gonna live in denial!!! I need all my tiny height inches!
Old 08-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #42
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Dawn, you are an awesome mom and you guys will do great with Keira! (Hope DH is hanging in there...)
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:58 PM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ~PaperMoon~
Stats: 100+ Pounds lost!
WOE: Low Carb and general low calorie
Interesting thread. I know I was older than 13 before I developed breasts because I remember the embarrassing summer when I was 13years old and I had on one of those strapless halter tops and it had slid down too far when I was riding my bike and my nipples were showing because I was flat and I didn't know it till my fried told me I was exposed and I was soooo embarrassed. And my mom tried to make me feel better and was like it's okay you don't have anything to show anyway. So I know my breasts came after 13. I had my first period at 14, I don't remember when the hair started to grow though. I guess it had to be around the same time as my period.

My friend was telling me though that her grand daughter who's only 9yrs old just got her first period I was like wow! I thought puberty wasn't supposed to start till after 12. I think they adjusted it to start at 8yrs old for the newer generations because kids these days do develop sooner because of the hormones in the milk and other GM things.

Anyone here who feed their kids organic food have any early bloomers?

~The woman came from a man's rib. Not from his feet to be walked on. Not from his head to be superior, but from his side to be equal. Under his arm to be protected, and next to his heart to be loved. ~
~PaperMoon~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:15 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Fluffy_Bunny
Stats: 220/184.8/160 5'7"
Start Date: July 9, 2013
Lemmi see now... I think was about 10 when "weird things" started happening. I think it was a few weeks before my 11th birthday that I got my first menses. By age 14-15 I was at my current height. Boobs sprouted with the hormone change didn't really come in properly till much later....in fact sometimes I think they're still growing (me<----almost 33).

Another thing that changed for me is my facial appearance. The whole structure of it changed. I know many people who basically look like an adult version of their former child selves. I, on the other hand, look completely unrelated to the person in my childhood pictures. Strange.
01.24.14 - ???.? | 02.25.14 - xxx.x | 03.29.14 - xxx.x | 04.29.14 - xxx.x | 05.31.14 - xxx.x | 07.01.14 - xxx.x
Fluffy_Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:40 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~PaperMoon~ View Post
Interesting thread. I know I was older than 13 before I developed breasts because I remember the embarrassing summer when I was 13years old and I had on one of those strapless halter tops and it had slid down too far when I was riding my bike and my nipples were showing because I was flat and I didn't know it till my fried told me I was exposed and I was soooo embarrassed. And my mom tried to make me feel better and was like it's okay you don't have anything to show anyway. So I know my breasts came after 13. I had my first period at 14, I don't remember when the hair started to grow though. I guess it had to be around the same time as my period.

My friend was telling me though that her grand daughter who's only 9yrs old just got her first period I was like wow! I thought puberty wasn't supposed to start till after 12. I think they adjusted it to start at 8yrs old for the newer generations because kids these days do develop sooner because of the hormones in the milk and other GM things.

Anyone here who feed their kids organic food have any early bloomers?
My mom and DH's mom were both born in the 50s and were early bloomers (8-10 years old). I think that was before all the tinkering with our food supply. I've also read that a lot too, about the hormones in our meat and milk increasing estrogen in young girls. It's all so scary and overwhelming. It's even in soaps, shampoos, etc. Keira has very sensitive skin, so we use dye and perfume free soaps, etc., but maybe it's not enough.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:42 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
Dawn, you are an awesome mom and you guys will do great with Keira! (Hope DH is hanging in there...)
Thanks! Ha! DH is quite happily working tonight, and I'm going to take Keira on a Mommy/Daughter shopping spree/dinner date night. Hopefully we'll get most of her back to school shopping done, a few styles of bras for her to try out, and Daddy won't have to do anything else. He was a trouper going to her appointment with us this morning. Then, I had to go back to work, so he took her for her blood draw and x-rays. He's really a great dad!
Old 08-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #47
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I agree with everyone, Dawn, that you are a great mother! Kiera is lucky to have parents who are concerned and interested in everything. It sounds like she is very normal, and also well-equipped to progress into maturity with grace.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:23 AM   #48

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Beautifully put Cindy, and totally true.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
Stinky pit thing......I have a friend who is a gym teacher. She said she loves the kids she works with but hates smelling them around the 4th to 5th grade age. She said hormones start kicking in and kids just start to stink. But parents think the kids are to young for deodorant and she said its miserable!!!

My mom was in puberty at age 8...complete with her monthly. My gram was also a early blooming on all angles. I was 12 though. But I had hair growing at age 10. I remember begging my mom to let me shave my pits, but I was "too young". I remember for a long time never wearing tank tops for like 2 years because of it!

One of my best friends, her daughter was 8 when she noticed things...and just shy of her 9th b-day she started her monthly, she is now 13. Her doc said that it had to do with enviroment. BPA in plastics, hormones in our foods, etc etc.....They ran all kinds of tests and everything was fine.

You can always bring it up with her doc and voice your concerns. They can check her out blood work physical, etc....(not woman check up!! Way to young for that at the moment). And if she is going on puberty its a perfect time to check into the HPV shots. Now would be the time to see if/when she should get it. I however chose not for my kids to get it (boy and girl BTW is suggested). At the time it was too new, and the side effects were not something I wanted to subjects my kids too, I was allowing them the choice when they were older. That was like 5 years ago, so I am sure maybe they have looked more into things.....research either way.

My daughter was blooming around age 10 and her menes came around 11 years old. She had hair growing around age 9. And her boobs around 10 where big enough I had to make her start to wear a bra.....she has by far past me now.....lucky her I think lol!! But everyone is different. Its such a shock when it comes down to.......our kids grew up before our eyes and we blinked and missed some of it......things that being women you think we would of noticed!!! I remember when I first noticed the hair under my daughters arms.........I was like hmmm when did that start....and I waited silently for her to come to me with questions.....which were not to far behind.

1st goal 163 puts me at Overweight!
2nd goal 139 puts me at Healthy weight!
3rd goal 125 puts me at Goal!

Long term, realistic goal....no medications!
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #50

Thank you ladies.

Tanya, I'm pretty sure Keira had the HPV vaccination around 4 years old, but I'll double check her shot records. We got her some cute "age appropriate" bras last night, with a little padding to help hide the nipplage, but not enough to increase size. She's pleased, and I'm happy with what she selected. Nothing too adult, and all fun colors and materials.

Now to just get the results of her testing. DH said the x-ray tech said it looked like she's about to have a growth spurt but "he's not a doctor and can't say so definitively." You know they're required to say that. I'm even more interested in her hormone levels.

Poor kid had her first blood draw, then x-rays yesterday, and then a pretty major car accident today, so she got checked out in the ambulance and then we ended up in urgent care for further evaluation. She says her neck hurts now. If it's not one thing, it's another.

Non-parents take note! Nobody prepares you for THIS side of parenting.

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
July 2014, weight is creeping up: Back to JUDDD.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:37 PM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Thank you ladies.

Tanya, I'm pretty sure Keira had the HPV vaccination around 4 years old, but I'll double check her shot records. We got her some cute "age appropriate" bras last night, with a little padding to help hide the nipplage, but not enough to increase size. She's pleased, and I'm happy with what she selected. Nothing too adult, and all fun colors and materials.

Now to just get the results of her testing. DH said the x-ray tech said it looked like she's about to have a growth spurt but "he's not a doctor and can't say so definitively." You know they're required to say that. I'm even more interested in her hormone levels.

Poor kid had her first blood draw, then x-rays yesterday, and then a pretty major car accident today, so she got checked out in the ambulance and then we ended up in urgent care for further evaluation. She says her neck hurts now. If it's not one thing, it's another.

Non-parents take note! Nobody prepares you for THIS side of parenting.
The HPV shot is the ovarian cancer prevention shot they give kids now when they first start into puberty!!!!
Old 08-10-2013, 09:15 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by krow134 View Post
The HPV shot is the ovarian cancer prevention shot they give kids now when they first start into puberty!!!!
They offered it when she was little. I remember discussing it with DH. I'm pretty sure we authorized it, but we might have decided to wait. I know a few people who had HPV, so it was something we considered.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:26 PM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

We waited...at the time there was horrid side effects that I didn't want to subject to the kids. They can decide on their own now. Family history of ovarian cancer an it would be a good thing but it was new at the time and the stories on the news freaked me out about it.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:24 AM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dawn, how are you & Keira today? I hope you guys are feeling a bit better after the accident? When do you get the test results again? Few more days?
Old 08-12-2013, 07:48 AM   #55

We're okay, just sore and stiff, thank goodness. I'm not sure when we'll get the results. I'm thinking at least a week from her visit, which was Friday.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:15 AM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So glad to hear you're all ok! I remember a lot of bruising & pain from a car accident many moons ago. So scary!
Old 08-12-2013, 08:28 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kimmietoo
Stats: 350/269.2/??? 58 yo, hypothyroid age 8; menopausal
WOE: start JUDDD 01/24/13 at 310
Start Date: July 2009
A car accident, too! BUMMER, so sorry.

I grew nearly 6 inches after my period started. I remember this distinctly because I started my period at 12 and my sister got married when I was 12. I remember being 5'4" when being fitted, and the wedding pictures confirm this height. I ended up at 5' 9.75" before shrinking back down....so I don't think that we tall girls quit growing at menstruation onset.
Kimmietoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:00 AM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
hi, dawn...i'm a juddd dropout, but still lurk on the forum. this thread has been an interesting and welcome read for me. my ella (only dd, she has 3 older brothers) is 8.5 yo, 9 on oct 22. i noticed some BO with her last fall/late winter. made me it's not constant, but she has some BO. lately bedtime for her has been EXTREMELY challenging. soooo emotional. she's fine all day long then at bedtime, the emotions just start flowing. i thought it was stall tactics for not wanting to go to bed, but reading this thread has me fairly convinced it's hormonal. last night she kept asking me, 'why am i crying for no good reason?' i'm not a crier at all, so it's a bit hard to identify with her, but i definitely understand that it is most likely hormones. so out of the blue, laying in my bed (laying with me is the only thing that seems to get her to settle down and be able to fall asleep) we had 'the talk' not the whole 'talk' but enough to help her understand why she most likely is feeling like this for now. mostly just talked about how mommy's body looks different than her's and why that is (hormones) and that as her body begins the changes to become a lady, it can make her feel the way she has been. she said 'but i'm only 8!!!' i said, i know...but that's how she starts to become a lady. so i think it was a good talk. she did still have trouble falling asleep even after we laid in my bed, but hopefully, it can be better from now on.

anyone know why she is only like this in the evening? is that common?
dazygyrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #59

Dazy, Keira's emotions come at any time of the day or night, and seem to not be related to anything in particular, so I'm not sure. I'm glad you had the talk with Ella. I think it's been helping Keira to deal with her own issues, just knowing that it's normal and even though she's a bit young to be dealing with it, it helps knowing she's not alone and it won't go on forever.

ETA: I wonder if Ella's emotions are coming to the front at bedtime because that's when she's sort of "decompressed" from the day, and allowing herself to feel things more acutely. I know, with ME, I can go-go-go all day, then get overwhelmed when I'm no longer in go-mode. Just a thought.

Update: Just got a call from DH who got a call from the doctor. The results came in more quickly than I thought they would.

Bone age: She's only a few months advanced for her actual age.
Thyroid levels: All came back normal.
Female hormones: She's actually a little bit low, so she probably won't have to deal with her period for at least a little bit.

So she's in puberty, but only because of her family history, and it appears to be running the normal course rather than a "fast track" where we have to worry about growth or anything else at this time. Whew!

Last edited by KeirasMom; 08-12-2013 at 10:23 AM..
Old 08-12-2013, 11:11 AM   #60
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
So glad to hear the good news Dawn! It'll be easier on all of you (probably most on Daddy!) to have things move at a slower pace. Adjusting to each new thing, etc. to your young lady!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote