Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 06:58 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: elphie124
Stats: 146/133/130ish 5'6"
WOE: JUDDD for loss / eating mindfully for maintenance
Start Date: 7/15/13
I screwed up.....

So, I binged last night. Badly. Thousands of calories. I am not looking for sympathy or even a kick in the pants (I am just ready to forgive myself and move on). What I do need is advice on what to do next! My gut instinct is to somehow quickly correct this by doing a couple DDs in a row or maybe making my next UD much lower in calories than usual. Or maybe try not to eat today (or less than a usual DD)? I don't know. Common sense tells me just to continue normal rotations but I can't help wanting to fix this. Ugh. What would you do?
elphie124 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2013, 07:16 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grammyw/kitties
Stats: I am 170.2
WOE: I am starting IF leaning towards locarb
Start Date: Starting Dec 20,2012
Maybe some of the sr JUDDers have a different idea but I would just get back on the wagon. We all make mistakes and there is no help to be found in beating yourself up! You will be alright just a minor setback. Try to understand why this happened so it might not be repeated but don't dwell on it the stress isn't worth it. You are doing well and this is an oops that we all have..we are works in progress Today is a NEW DAY
grammyw/kitties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:18 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
Quote:
I don't know. Common sense tells me just to continue normal rotations but I can't help wanting to fix this. Ugh. What would you do?
Listen to your common sense. This is a long journey and even after you get to maintenance, you're still going to be on that journey. There's no reason to go crazy over one day's screw-up. And your normal rotations will get you back into the routine, and the routine is what keeps us going. That's just my two cents though I think most people will say the same thing.
deedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:26 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
DO NOT DO DDs IN A ROW!!! Hun, just be gentle with yourself! You didn't screw up, you just had a hard day. Big deal!!! Just do a normal DD today and a normal UD tomorrow. Move along, it will be just fine! Seriously, don't beat yourself up and do NOT try to "punish" yourself or "make up for it". You're fine!!!
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:27 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jacquelinejolie
Stats: 183.4/163/130
Elphie, I haven't binged personally (yet), but from what I've read on here and my natural instinct would be to just stick to your numbers - and your rotation - going forward. The past is the past and the only way to move on is to begin as you mean to go on on a go forward basis.

I had an urge the other day to try to undo the *last year!* or so of weight gain through a quick PSMF / VLCD type of diet and then come back to JUDDD once I was at 150 or so. But I think part of why I've regained lost weight over and over again the last 12 years or so has been this desire for a quick fix and not learning how to stick with something over the very very long haul. It always ends badly and something rebounds - leading to feeling like it's a punitive diet, diet fatigue (and the accompanying aversion to any type of diet at all), all those things.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can chime in.
jacquelinejolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:30 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
My only recommendation is not to turn IF into a punishment/reward system.
The rotations do work.
One odd day shouldn't turn you against yourself.
This is the one factor that has sold me on IF as lifestyle. Tomorrow is always a new day.

I am ruthless with myself in evaluating WHY I do things. Hormones? Stress? Emotions?
I like to dig in and determine why I changed my day, and a binge sets alarms ringing in my head. If I fed emotions I want to find a new solution. If feeding stress I know I need to prominently place a stress reliever in my path that won't be about food (this one is the easiest for me- I love a bath, some yoga, a good book with a pot of tea, or the minutiae focus of painting my nails).

Sounds like you have good sense. Follow it.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:36 AM   #7
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I'm with everyone else - just proceed forward as if yesterday was a normal UP day. You'll be OK!

Quit thinking of it as "screwing up" and just own up to you made some choices to eat things you normally wouldn't have, and now you're on a down day, and making appropriate choices for today.

Last edited by Charski; 08-08-2013 at 07:37 AM..
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:44 AM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Everyone's given you good advice, Elphie. Just stick with rotations. You had a UUAD (Up Up and Away Day), and that's why the word was invented.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:47 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by elphie124 View Post
(I am just ready to forgive myself and move on). . . . Common sense tells me just to continue normal rotations but I can't help wanting to fix this. Ugh. What would you do?
I would do just what you said ... forgive yourself, move on, continue normal rotations. It happens to just about all of us and usually doesn't even affect your progress that much! I've even heard people experience a UUAD triggering a whoosh sometimes shortly afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutter View Post
DO NOT DO DDs IN A ROW!!! Hun, just be gentle with yourself! You didn't screw up, you just had a hard day. Big deal!!! Just do a normal DD today and a normal UD tomorrow. Move along, it will be just fine! Seriously, don't beat yourself up and do NOT try to "punish" yourself or "make up for it". You're fine!!!
I agree with Melinda!
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:57 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everyone. I have had a chance to take a zillion deep breaths and get my common sense back on track. I really needed the reinforcement you've given me! I know what I should do but it's SO hard not to listen to that stupid voice telling me I need to somehow make up for this. I think I might eat less on this DD by default (I am simply not hungry after eating so much yesterday) but I will honor my hunger (within my normal DD calories) and am going to commit to sticking to normal rotations.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Now to figure out how to not let this happen again. I think the cause was a cross between TOM cravings and self sabotage. For some reason when I see a low number on the scale I want to EAT. I know I need to get this under control.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:01 AM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Normal rotations will take care of it. I agree with everyone else. Do NOT turn this WOE into a system of rewards and punishments, or it will never "feel" right and natural to you. Part of the beauty of JUDDD is how it helps us regulate our relationship with food. If you turn food into something other than enjoyable fuel, you won't experience this very important benefit, IMHO.

ETA: You posted while I was composing my response. I'm glad you're feeling better now and common sense is winning!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Goner
Stats: 184/158/157 restart 5-1-14 165.5/164/154
Start Date: May 2013
I'm glad you decided to just get back on normal rotations. It will be best in the long run. Sometimes it helps to know why you do something, and some times IMO, we just spin our wheels trying to figure out why. I understand self sabotague though - and I too can eat more when I see a low number - although I don't know why I do it, at least when I am aware I do it, I can try to change the behavior without knowing why.

Good luck. And try not to dwell on the stinkin' thinking but love yourself instead.
Goner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Paula 67
Stats: 280/216.4/174
WOE: Primal/Paleo w/ ADF
Start Date: September 24, 2010, JUDDD August 1, 2013
I binged too elphie. Unfortunately it was my DD. Even so, today is an UD as planned. Thanks for being brave enough to post. You got some good answers.
Paula 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:29 AM   #14

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Here am I late to the party again. You have heard and followed the great advice this board is famous for.

Just move forward and put it behind you. I promise you everyone here has done the same thing at one time or another.
Kissa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #15

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Great advice so far, and I'm so glad you are doing what you already knew was right. Sticking with rotations is a wonderful relief. And yes, we've all gone out of control at some point, so don't feel bad. Look around at all the losses the JBs have had, and know that if we have gone out of control and still been successful, then so will you!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #16
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
We've all had an UUAA day lol - Up Up And Away
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Today has been much better! It's a relief to have a down day after that debauchery. It's also a relief to know I can eat normally tomorrow. I appreciate all of your wise words!
Old 08-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #18
Big Yapper!!!!

I think I've gone over 3000 a few times. I've only just started tracking all my UD calories. I would start tracking and see that I was going to go way over and just stop counting. What I don't acknowledge didn't happen. Plenty of people regularly had UUADs (Adi comes to mind) and still got to their goal weight. Good thing to keep in mind for all of us.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Elphie,
I admire you for coming forth to admit that you just went off plan.
The minute you asked for help it was forthcoming. It's so great to have
this kind of support. Wonderful that you knew what to do all along.

Have a great day today and tomorrow.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:41 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

The scale definitely showed it. After my last DD I weighed 134.8. I didn't weigh in after binge day but I weighed in this morning after a good DD yesterday: 138.4. I know much of that is bloat, but it's a dang good reminder for next time.

I do want to address the UUAD thing. To me, that's a good way to describe a UD that gets away from you and you go over calories, whether intentional or not. But I can't candy coat what happened on Wednesday. It was not an UUAD. It was a binge. I ate without control and gorged myself until I felt sick and then kept going. It's something I've struggled with my whole life and feel ashamed about. It's nice to talk about it here because I don't really discuss it with those in my "real life".

Thanks again for all of your kind words. This is definitely something I'm working on.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:58 AM   #21
Big Yapper!!!!

It's good that you recognize what happened, elphie, and are trying to address it. There are some others here that struggle with binge issues as well. There is a book that some are reading that has been said to be very helpful. I think it's called "Mind Over Binge", but I could be wrong.

I went up to about 2600 yesterday, so it was a UUAD for me. The funny thing was that I wasn't hungry when I got home from work but cooked dinner anyway because bf was hungry. I ate then later ate dessert that I didn't need and too many high calorie cocktails, lol. Thankfully, it didn't go any further than what it did. Onward and downward is the motto here.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Old 08-09-2013, 06:07 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
There is a book that some are reading that has been said to be very helpful. I think it's called "Mind Over Binge", but I could be wrong.
Thanks! I think it's "Brain over Binge". I've heard of that before and am going to see if the library has it. If not, it's probably worth the buy!