Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 06:21 AM   #91
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 135 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
Dottie, Thanks for the links!

Kissa, The reason I said that about the junk food is because I read it on this thread, not in the book. Have people misunderstood that it is okay to eat junk food instead of real, healthy food?

In the comment after yours, Cindy seems to understand that there is nothing wrong with eating junk food on her up days.

I do want to get the book. I just found this thread yesterday and have not had the chance to order it at the library.

Does Dr. Johnson say that it is wrong for people to eat junk food in his book? Or does he say that junk food is okay because the real goal is to lose weight, not necessarily be healthy?
That's right. I enjoy pizza, cookies, beer, etc. in moderation. There is nothing wrong with it, for me. I am also not diabetic, nor do I suffer from high blood pressure or any other life-threatening ailments. There is no judgement here about food choices. You do what's right for *you* is our motto.

ETA: Also eating "junk" food in moderation does not make a person unhealthy. Like Kissa said, read the book.

Last edited by Librarygirl; 08-07-2013 at 06:26 AM..

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2013, 06:45 AM   #92
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
I am on my way to work, and I just remembered that I have another question. Sorry! I am too impatient to wait a week for the book. Hopefully, this is an easy one.

The calculator on the JUDDD site says that I am supposed to eat 1573 cals on my UD and 315 on my DD. It says that when I have reached maintenance, I am supposed to eat no more than 944 cals per day.

I am a little confused by the wording of this. It says that 1573 is my normal calorie allowance for the weight I am now. Does that mean that if I eat that amount every day, I will maintain my current weight?

And once I hit my goal of 136 pounds, my new numbers would be 1531 for UD and 919 for DD (1225 average over 2 days) Won't I still be in a calorie deficit and continue to lose weight if the amount I need to maintain my weight is 1531?

Maybe I have misunderstood the meaning of the "normal calorie allowance".

Also, do you all keep adjusting your numbers down each time you lose weight, or do you continue to goal using the same numbers you got for your initial weight when starting?

Visit my blog, My Low Carb Road to Better Health.

Visit my blog, Alzheimer's Disease - Prevention and Treatment.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:23 AM   #93
Senior LCF Member

Stats: +175/154/148
WOE: FMD
Start Date: February 2012/June 2013
I ordered the book on my iphone kindle app. I read it off my iphone bc my house was having tech difficulties.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:50 AM   #94
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
Quote:
I am on my way to work, and I just remembered that I have another question. Sorry! I am too impatient to wait a week for the book. Hopefully, this is an easy one.

The calculator on the JUDDD site says that I am supposed to eat 1573 cals on my UD and 315 on my DD. It says that when I have reached maintenance, I am supposed to eat no more than 944 cals per day.

I am a little confused by the wording of this. It says that 1573 is my normal calorie allowance for the weight I am now. Does that mean that if I eat that amount every day, I will maintain my current weight?

And once I hit my goal of 136 pounds, my new numbers would be 1531 for UD and 919 for DD (1225 average over 2 days) Won't I still be in a calorie deficit and continue to lose weight if the amount I need to maintain my weight is 1531?

Also, do you all keep adjusting your numbers down each time you lose weight, or do you continue to goal using the same numbers you got for your initial weight when starting?
The UD numbers are slightly inflated to account for the DD numbers. The idea for maintenance is to still have a wide swing between UD and DD numbers, so you have your slightly inflated (above maintenance range) UD number and then 50-60% of that for DD. Some do continue to lose in maintenance and have to find their "sweet spot" either increasing UD numbers or increasing DD numbers.

RE: adjusting down. The general consensus here that we've found through trial and error is to not mess with your numbers as long as they're working. Some never have to lower them, while others do after a period. I had a LOT to lose, and tried to lower them before my body needed me to, and stalled. I continued to lose again when I increased them back. A "true stall" of no pounds or inches lost for several weeks occurred with me about every 30 pounds or so, so that's when my body needed me to recalculate. We're all different, so YMMV.

I agree with so many who have responded to your posts about the "what" to eat. JUDDD doesn't care, but your body might. I eat whatever I want and that includes what some may consider junk food. I also enjoy cocktails or wine regularly. However, I'm no longer nearly 300 pounds. If I had to completely restrict my favorite foods, I never would have made it past the first few months (that was my pattern with Atkins--did well then felt too restricted and gave up, over and over). Your situation is different in that you don't have that much to lose, so you get to choose how you do it and what foods you can incorporate into your WOE. JUDDD is simply a time frame for when you consume the amounts you are to consume. There are numerous other health benefits that come along with fasting as well, as I'm sure you read on Dr. Johnson's website.

Best of luck.

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD

Last edited by KeirasMom; 08-07-2013 at 07:52 AM..
Old 08-07-2013, 07:59 AM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
The UD numbers are slightly inflated to account for the DD numbers. The idea for maintenance is to still have a wide swing between UD and DD numbers, so you have your slightly inflated (above maintenance range) UD number and then 50-60% of that for DD. Some do continue to lose in maintenance and have to find their "sweet spot" either increasing UD numbers or increasing DD numbers.

RE: adjusting down. The general consensus here that we've found through trial and error is to not mess with your numbers as long as they're working. Some never have to lower them, while others do after a period. I had a LOT to lose, and tried to lower them before my body needed me to, and stalled. I continued to lose again when I increased them back. A "true stall" of no pounds or inches lost for several weeks occurred with me about every 30 pounds or so, so that's when my body needed me to recalculate. We're all different, so YMMV.

I agree with so many who have responded to your posts about the "what" to eat. JUDDD doesn't care, but your body might. I eat whatever I want and that includes what some may consider junk food. I also enjoy cocktails or wine regularly. However, I'm no longer nearly 300 pounds. If I had to completely restrict my favorite foods, I never would have made it past the first few months (that was my pattern with Atkins--did well then felt too restricted and gave up, over and over). Your situation is different in that you don't have that much to lose, so you get to choose how you do it and what foods you can incorporate into your WOE. JUDDD is simply a time frame for when you consume the amounts you are to consume. There are numerous other health benefits that come along with fasting as well, as I'm sure you read on Dr. Johnson's website.

Best of luck.
Keira's mom, I see we are just about the same height/age. I am not hypothyroid. I do not lose weight easily. I noticed we have the same numbers. Congrats on your weight loss. You look and must feel amazing!
Old 08-07-2013, 08:06 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveninepointfive View Post
Keira's mom, I see we are just about the same height/age. I am not hypothyroid. I do not lose weight easily. I noticed we have the same numbers. Congrats on your weight loss. You look and must feel amazing!
Thanks 5! I thought about going lower (139-145 or so) but then decided I wasn't happy with where I was losing inches, so I decided to stick with 150ish for maintenance. I feel good here, and am fairly proportionate. As I was losing more, my waist measurement was staying the same, so I was losing my curves. I actually looked chubbier at 148 than I do at 153. Weird.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:45 AM   #97
Senior LCF Member

KM,
Since our UD/DD numbers are just about the same, I was going to try to keep an eye on your menus. It looks like you are taking a break from EVO rotations???
Old 08-07-2013, 09:15 AM   #98
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Most intermittent fasting plans are more about when you eat, not what you eat. There are tons of them. A quick google search of "intermittent fasting" came up with nearly 4 million hits. Dr. Johnson and JUDDD is just one of many.

If I were you I would read up on intermittent fasting in general to learn about the mechanisms and benefits. IF is a solid, well-researched WOE and you don't need to hang your acceptance of it on whether or not this ONE person says everything you like/don't like. I disagree with some things Dr Johnson writes in his book, but I take what is useful from his plan and combine it with what works for me.

I followed NK for a while (I seem to remember you from there possibly??) and I absolutely believe it is a solid plan with many benefits, but it just wound up being too difficult to eat out or with others. It wasn't something I could follow long-term, so it wasn't the plan for me.

I believe there are many legitimate reasons for not IFing for many people, but a few lines in ONE book isn't one of them.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:28 AM   #99

Quote:
KM,
Since our UD/DD numbers are just about the same, I was going to try to keep an eye on your menus. It looks like you are taking a break from EVO rotations???
I have Primary Raynaud's and have been having some complications which I think are exacerbated (for me!) by fasting, so I'm taking a break and eating just at maintenance for a while to see what happens.

When I fasted, I would keep UDs right at what the calculator gave me (1750ish) and DDs were usually between 200-350. I lost well with those numbers. I'm currently eating 1600-1675 daily and doing "okay." I gained a bit on vacation last week (with several 3000 calorie days in there), so I'm seeing if it goes away by itself, or if I'll need to throw some DDs in there.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:56 AM   #100
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 135 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
Most intermittent fasting plans are more about when you eat, not what you eat. There are tons of them. A quick google search of "intermittent fasting" came up with nearly 4 million hits. Dr. Johnson and JUDDD is just one of many.

If I were you I would read up on intermittent fasting in general to learn about the mechanisms and benefits. IF is a solid, well-researched WOE and you don't need to hang your acceptance of it on whether or not this ONE person says everything you like/don't like. I disagree with some things Dr Johnson writes in his book, but I take what is useful from his plan and combine it with what works for me.

I followed NK for a while (I seem to remember you from there possibly??) and I absolutely believe it is a solid plan with many benefits, but it just wound up being too difficult to eat out or with others. It wasn't something I could follow long-term, so it wasn't the plan for me.

I believe there are many legitimate reasons for not IFing for many people, but a few lines in ONE book isn't one of them.

Well said!
Old 08-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #101
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I have Primary Raynaud's and have been having some complications which I think are exacerbated (for me!) by fasting, so I'm taking a break and eating just at maintenance for a while to see what happens.

When I fasted, I would keep UDs right at what the calculator gave me (1750ish) and DDs were usually between 200-350. I lost well with those numbers. I'm currently eating 1600-1675 daily and doing "okay." I gained a bit on vacation last week (with several 3000 calorie days in there), so I'm seeing if it goes away by itself, or if I'll need to throw some DDs in there.
Primary Raynauds seems very uncomfortable. I'd do what it takes to
avoid the symptoms. I had some moments over the winter where the tip of my finger would not warm up. It was random.
I feel like my body is telling me to take a break, but I can't. I am up about 10 lbs from my comfort zone, since May. I do not want to avoid social situations since summer is the only time I truly enjoy myself spending time w loved ones that live too far to see throughout the school year.
Yesterday, I had a good DD. Then, I was up for hours with hunger and indigestion. I am hanging in there though. I am sticking with JUDDD. Ill reassess in the fall.
Thanks!
Old 08-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #102
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: 30by32
Stats: 165.6/162.2/135
Start Date: Aug 2013
Heya all,
Hope everyone is having a great hump day!
For me, so far so good in terms of hunger and satiation. Although, I am a little concerned about weight gain from yesterday's UD.

Aug 5: 163.8 dd
Aug 6: 163 ud (ate sweet potato and wild rice after lifting)
Aug 7: 164.4 dd

Is this the "bounce"? And, will it bounce back? What exactly is the bounce and do most people experience it? Or is it too early to tell and I need to stop weighing daily? Comments? Thoughts?
Old 08-07-2013, 12:12 PM   #103
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Yep, that's the bounce. We all have it, it's normal. Try not to be concerned. It's tough in the beginning, but once you get used to it, it'll seem normal and you'll wonder what's up if you don't bounce!
Old 08-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #104
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Okay, that makes more sense.

Quote:
I agree with so many who have responded to your posts about the "what" to eat. JUDDD doesn't care, but your body might.
I feel pretty confident that my body would definitely care if I started feeding it the S.A.D again after all these years of low carbing!

Quote:
JUDDD is simply a time frame for when you consume the amounts you are to consume.
That makes sense, too. I think I will have to look at it that way, and just eat what I know is good for my body and not get carried away eating all the "fun" and sugar-filled stuff.

Quote:
Best of luck.
Thanks!
Old 08-07-2013, 12:40 PM   #105
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
As I was losing more, my waist measurement was staying the same, so I was losing my curves. I actually looked chubbier at 148 than I do at 153. Weird.
I hear you! As I lose weight, my waist-to-hip ratio keeps going up and up! I have always been a little thick-waisted...
Old 08-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #106
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
KM,
What is EVO?
Old 08-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #107
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
I disagree with some things Dr Johnson writes in his book, but I take what is useful from his plan and combine it with what works for me.

That's what I'm trying not to do. Thanks!
Old 08-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #108
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.7/126.8 5'2" 37yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Thanks for your response, Carly!

While you were doing this at first, were you checking your blood glucose after eating higher carbs?

If I decide to try this, I will definitely be doing that to make sure I am not getting in trouble.
I checked pretty regularly. I had a few spikes early on, but now, no.

Quote:
One more question to everyone:

When you are on a DD, are you eating your small amount of calories in one sitting, or trying to spread it out over the whole day?
I just eat a bedtime snack around 9:30pn on DD otherwise just coffee during the day.
Quote:

Maintenance takes some practice. I did 5:2 with great results I did 1550 UD and 300 DD.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:55 AM   #109
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Carly!
Old 08-08-2013, 05:01 AM   #110
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: vivers4jc
Howdy all. I'm new to this site. I started JUDDD this week. I have already lost 30+ lbs. on Low Carb / Low Cal since Jan. of this year, but I got to a point where I could not handle the diet psychologically anymore. I'm looking to lose 18 lbs. to get to my goal weight, so I decided to try JUDDD. I started out three days ago at 168, then after my first DD, I went to 166.6 (yay!), and now after my UD, I'm up to 168.8. Should I be discouraged? What kind of weightloss can I expect on this diet? Any help is much appreciated . Thanks!
Old 08-08-2013, 06:31 AM   #111
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
vivers! You've done great losing already, and I think JUDDD is the perfect WOE for losing those last pounds. Yes, this bounce is perfectly normal and we all have it. But keep on going, and the trend will definitely be down, like a ball bouncing down stairs. Good luck!
Old 08-08-2013, 06:34 AM   #112
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
vivers! You've done great losing already, and I think JUDDD is the perfect WOE for losing those last pounds. Yes, this bounce is perfectly normal and we all have it. But keep on going, and the trend will definitely be down, like a ball bouncing down stairs. Good luck!
Thanks for the encouragement! There are so many "ways" to do this JUDDD that it can be confusing. I believe I will stick with 500 calories on my down days, and eat reasonably on my up days. I cannot drive myself crazy!! Let's see how it goes. You are doing wonderful, Carol and are very much an inspiration to me! Thanks!!
Old 08-08-2013, 07:20 AM   #113
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 44yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Welcome vivers! Congrats on your loss this year and I'm sure Juddd will help you get to that goal! Ignore the evil scale and just keep to rotations. It works, you'll do great!
Old 08-08-2013, 07:38 AM   #114
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutter View Post
Welcome vivers! Congrats on your loss this year and I'm sure Juddd will help you get to that goal! Ignore the evil scale and just keep to rotations. It works, you'll do great!
Thanks, Melinda . I appreciate the encouragement!
Old 08-08-2013, 07:41 AM   #115

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Yes, bounces are a part of JUDDD, it is natural when you think about it. I am sure you are going to enjoy the freedom of JUDDD after months on LC. I did Atkins for 11 years, so I know.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:59 AM   #116
Senior LCF Member

🔓
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivers4jc View Post
Thanks for the encouragement! There are so many "ways" to do this JUDDD that it can be confusing. I believe I will stick with 500 calories on my down days, and eat reasonably on my up days. I cannot drive myself crazy!! Let's see how it goes. You are doing wonderful, Carol and are very much an inspiration to me! Thanks!!
I am still sorting things out myself. Reading the book and the forums helps. It seems like the JUDDD BUDDS will help to keep you grounded.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:03 AM   #117
Senior LCF Member

I guess I meant, EOD, EVERY OTHER DAY. So EVO is a typo. I am still working off my phone. It's a challenge.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:04 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivers4jc View Post
We all personalize JUDDD to fit our lifestyles and to keep us satisfied, but I always recommend doing at least one full month "by the book" at your UD and DD calculated numbers (or up to 500 on DDs if you need them), with EOD rotations, before you start messing with it. I really believe if you do it this way, you'll have good results and most likely won't need or want to change anything.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:07 AM   #119
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Yes, bounces are a part of JUDDD, it is natural when you think about it. I am sure you are going to enjoy the freedom of JUDDD after months on LC. I did Atkins for 11 years, so I know.
Thanks, Cindy . Let's see how this goes ......
Old 08-08-2013, 08:09 AM   #120
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
I guess I meant, EOD, EVERY OTHER DAY. So EVO is a typo. I am still working off my phone. It's a challenge.
Thanks so much!
Closed Thread