Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Stats: +175/154/148
WOE: FMD
Start Date: February 2012/June 2013
Ok. I reworked the numbers using "no exercise,"it has me at UD 1750/DD 350. I have been trying different approaches to DDs. I have been meaning to order glucomannan powder, but never pull the trigger.
Sometimes if I go over my cals on a DD, I'll be sure to spend some time on my elliptical. Do you think that helps or not really?
I know I've read Carly doesn't eat back her exercise calories. I hope to get there soon. You are an inspiration.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2013, 06:40 PM   #62
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveninepointfive View Post
Ok. I reworked the numbers using "no exercise,"it has me at UD 1750/DD 350. I have been trying different approaches to DDs. I have been meaning to order glucomannan powder, but never pull the trigger.
Sometimes if I go over my cals on a DD, I'll be sure to spend some time on my elliptical. Do you think that helps or not really?
I know I've read Carly doesn't eat back her exercise calories. I hope to get there soon. You are an inspiration.
While you adjust to DDs you can use 500 for the first 2 weeks of DDs. The DDs get easier, but take some trial and error to find exactly what works for you.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #63
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: 30by32
Stats: 165.6/162.2/135
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Aug 2013
Librarygirl, she's Gina Carano, an MMA fighter. THAT is the look I want and I *think* I might be able to get it. Since I'm a little thick in the first place, I don't think that me getting down to fitness model size is a viable option. Maybe middleweight fighter physique, but most likely not fitness model. Plus, I like to powerlift.

Thanks, Carly.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
While you adjust to DDs you can use 500 for the first 2 weeks of DDs. The DDs get easier, but take some trial and error to find exactly what works for you.
Thanks!
Old 08-06-2013, 04:10 AM   #65
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30by32 View Post
Librarygirl, she's Gina Carano, an MMA fighter. THAT is the look I want and I *think* I might be able to get it. Since I'm a little thick in the first place, I don't think that me getting down to fitness model size is a viable option. Maybe middleweight fighter physique, but most likely not fitness model. Plus, I like to powerlift.

Thanks, Carly.
That's awesome if you can do it! I don't have the exercise regimen to even think about looking like that, and am nearing 50 yo.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:49 AM   #66
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Welcome, so many lovely Newbies.

Getting the numbers right takes a little time. I have never added in my exercise calories and if you can lose using the little or no exercise option, that is ideal. If you find your weight loss stalls after a while then you may need to add more calories. I know that sounds backwards, but it has proved true for many people here.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:59 AM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Paula 67
Stats: 280/216.4/174
WOE: Primal/Paleo w/ ADF
Start Date: September 24, 2010, JUDDD August 1, 2013
Quote:
Hi Everyone!
I'm so happy I found JUDDD and this forum. I started on Aug1 and today is my 3rd DD. I eat about 2100 cals on UDs (mainly paleo/primal), and then I've been eating about 420 cals on DDs (2 tbsp coco oil, 2 protein shakes). I'm not really hungry yet, but I might switch over to chewfood after a couple of weeks or so. I also lift 3x a week.
Nice to meet everyone!
Hi! I am also Primal/Paleo. I find it makes a good combo with ADF. Welcome from one newbie to another!
Old 08-06-2013, 06:45 AM   #68
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnot View Post
I rebooted on 08/01 and I feel better already. Seems easier this time around and I can't believe how inspiring the many success stories are. To see women that are around my age reaching aggressive goals and having fun doing so is amazing! Thank you all for taking the time to mentor and encourage.
Welcome back!

Quote:
Hi Everyone!
I'm so happy I found JUDDD and this forum. I started on Aug1 and today is my 3rd DD. I eat about 2100 cals on UDs (mainly paleo/primal), and then I've been eating about 420 cals on DDs (2 tbsp coco oil, 2 protein shakes). I'm not really hungry yet, but I might switch over to chewfood after a couple of weeks or so. I also lift 3x a week.
Nice to meet everyone!
Welcome to you! Sounds like you're doing fabulous already and AWESOME on those workouts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Welcome, so many lovely Newbies.

Getting the numbers right takes a little time. I have never added in my exercise calories and if you can lose using the little or no exercise option, that is ideal. If you find your weight loss stalls after a while then you may need to add more calories. I know that sounds backwards, but it has proved true for many people here.
I just follow Kissa around and say (just an infomercial for the newbies) Seriously, though, I stalled and a few wonderful JBs told me I may have artificially lowered my numbers. I went back to my original (no exercise ones) and have never changed them since. It still works...slower, but that's because I eat more on UDs sometimes. ANYHOO, WB five, you'll figure it out!
Old 08-06-2013, 12:16 PM   #69
Senior LCF Member

I made an XL salad w romaine, tom, cucumber, scallion, grated cheese & balsamic. I didn't weigh veggies, but it has to be under 350. My plan is to eat the salad throughout the day. I'll drink tea, water & black coffee, too.
Oh, I did have a taste if banana and PB. Only one bite was salvageable after my two little girls tried to serve me breakfast on bed, but dropped the tray onto the floor. Poor things! They tried.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #70
Big Yapper!!!!

Breakfast on floor. Sounds like a good DD, and your girls may have done you a favor lol.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #71
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Hello, All!

I was just browsing here on the Low Carb Friends Forum, and I saw JUDDD. I have never heard of it. I have not read the book and do not know anything about it, but it seems to me that people are told in the book to eat whatever they want to on the up day? Even junk food? Maybe I have misunderstood...

I am Type 2 Diabetic, and this seems like a bad idea to me.

I'm not trying to pick a fight. Really. I am extremely curious and wondering if this could help me.

Thanks for your answers!

Visit my blog, My Low Carb Road to Better Health.

Visit my blog, Alzheimer's Disease - Prevention and Treatment.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Oh, and I went to the website and it said, based on my height, etc., that a 20% DD for me would only be 315 calories. Does that seem right? My UP would be 1573.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:03 PM   #73
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/206/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
Hello, All!

I was just browsing here on the Low Carb Friends Forum, and I saw JUDDD. I have never heard of it. I have not read the book and do not know anything about it, but it seems to me that people are told in the book to eat whatever they want to on the up day? Even junk food? Maybe I have misunderstood...

I am Type 2 Diabetic, and this seems like a bad idea to me.

I'm not trying to pick a fight. Really. I am extremely curious and wondering if this could help me.

Thanks for your answers!
I have read the Dr Johnson book and he does say you can eat what you want to, within reason if I remember correctly. He does warn that diabetics sould be careful on fasting days.

Many still eat low carb, or paleo, or WW, and combine their chosen food plan with JUDDD calorie rotations.

I have recently returned to JUDDD and I combine rotations with a Carbohydrate Addicts Diet type plan- low carb only on DDs and UDs are very low carb during the day, then a "free" meal in the evening. It is working for now, but I may adjust as time goes on.

3/24/14- She is Beautiful 10k- I won!, 7/27/14- Wharf to Wharf (6 miles)- I won!
9/14/14- Title 9K- I won!
11/9/14- Surfer's Path 10K, 4/12/15- Santa Cruz Half Marathon

*My definition of win: I didn't quit, didn't throw up, and they didn't close the course on me.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:04 PM   #74
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
Hi Rebecca,

That's right ... you can eat anything on your up day or down day, as long as it is within your calorie range. (Some people, especially in the beginning, can be successful without counting calories on up days, but that is less of a sure thing). You may want to eat low carb. You may want to eat paleo/primal. You may want to eat a typical American diet, or even junk food. As long as you follow the calories, the rest is up to you. Some choices may help you feel better or be healthier, especially if you are diabetic, but it's your choice what to do with your calories. This gives great freedom and flexibility that helps stick to the plan long term (I have personally never found a more livable plan ... I've been doing it for over a year & lost over 75 pounds). Also, check out the health benefits thread in the stickies.

I don't know your age/height/weight, but there are people who are on the smaller side on this list who have calories at about the levels you mentioned. What's nice is that depending on how you want to do the plan, you have choices here too ... you can do 500 calorie down days for the first two weeks, and then you can decide if you want to do a 20% down day (or even lower) or go higher in the weight loss percentage. Or mix it up like I do.

Last edited by calichris; 08-06-2013 at 10:07 PM..
Old 08-07-2013, 03:50 AM   #75
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Oh, and I went to the website and it said, based on my height, etc., that a 20% DD for me would only be 315 calories. Does that seem right? My UP would be 1573.
My numbers are 1550/312 so that sounds like it could be correct. You really can eat whatever you want to make up your calories, but your body will probably appreciate if most of it is healthy, nutrient dense food, but cake, candy and ice cream are allowed on this plan if they fit into your calories. I've been Juddding for 15 mos and this plan is so doable since no food is off limits.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:54 AM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calichris View Post
Hi Rebecca,

That's right ... you can eat anything on your up day or down day, as long as it is within your calorie range. (Some people, especially in the beginning, can be successful without counting calories on up days, but that is less of a sure thing). You may want to eat low carb. You may want to eat paleo/primal. You may want to eat a typical American diet, or even junk food. As long as you follow the calories, the rest is up to you. Some choices may help you feel better or be healthier, especially if you are diabetic, but it's your choice what to do with your calories. This gives great freedom and flexibility that helps stick to the plan long term (I have personally never found a more livable plan ... I've been doing it for over a year & lost over 75 pounds). Also, check out the health benefits thread in the stickies.

I don't know your age/height/weight, but there are people who are on the smaller side on this list who have calories at about the levels you mentioned. What's nice is that depending on how you want to do the plan, you have choices here too ... you can do 500 calorie down days for the first two weeks, and then you can decide if you want to do a 20% down day (or even lower) or go higher in the weight loss percentage. Or mix it up like I do.
Thanks for your answers!

My age is 57, my height is 63" and my weight is 144. My current body fat is around 36% and my goal is 30%, regardless of what weight that ends me up at.

Frankly, I do not understand the thinking behind a doctor telling people that they can eat junk food, and as long as they lose weight, that is acceptable and they have achieved "success".

I'm glad to see, however, that the people on this forum have taken irresponsible medical advice and turned it around to make it healthier by choosing real food. Whether Dr. Johnson's calorie restriction is scientifically valid or not, I have a lot more respect for the people doing his diet that eat real food than I do for the doctor himself. But... I don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater, and will try to ignore his ignorance about nutrition and true health as I consider doing this.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:57 AM   #77
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
He does warn that diabetics should be careful on fasting days.
If a diabetic eats high carb on up days, that person will still be causing blood sugar to spike and destroying the beta cells in the pancreas. Are you sure that he warns to be careful on down days, but does not warn diabetics to stay low carb to manage diabetes on up days as well?
Old 08-07-2013, 05:00 AM   #78
Big Yapper!!!!

I was diabetic when I started Juddd. I was on Byeatta injection 2x per day. After the 1st month I stopped restricting carbs. I went on to lose just under 80 pounds. My A1C has gone from 9.8 to under 5.9. I no longer take any diabetic medication and only have to see the endo 1x per year. I enjoy goodies from time to time and it has not negatively effected my health although the majority of the time I chose healthy food like yogurt or rice cakes and PB2 or crackers and laughing cow cheese. Not necessarily low carb, but not cheeseburgers and pizza every day either. The great thing about juddd is you chose the food that works for you. JUDDD just sets out the calorie allotment, we do the rest.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Old 08-07-2013, 05:02 AM   #79
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
If a diabetic eats high carb on up days, that person will still be causing blood sugar to spike and destroying the beta cells in the pancreas. Are you sure that he warns to be careful on down days, but does not warn diabetics to stay low carb to manage diabetes on up days as well?
If I recall he says this diet may not work for diabetics on insulin due to the low calorie DDs.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:29 AM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for your response, Carly!

While you were doing this at first, were you checking your blood glucose after eating higher carbs?

If I decide to try this, I will definitely be doing that to make sure I am not getting in trouble.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:30 AM   #81
Senior LCF Member

One more question to everyone:

When you are on a DD, are you eating your small amount of calories in one sitting, or trying to spread it out over the whole day?
Old 08-07-2013, 05:34 AM   #82
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Rebecca you may find these 2 recipe links helpful:
Down Days recipes ONLY
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/hc...ipes-only.html (HCG is also a 500 calorie diet, so their recipes work nicely for JUDDD down days).

There is usually a daily menu thread that can also give you some ideas
Old 08-07-2013, 05:38 AM   #83
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Quote:
Thanks for your answers!

My age is 57, my height is 63" and my weight is 144. My current body fat is around 36% and my goal is 30%, regardless of what weight that ends me up at.

Frankly, I do not understand the thinking behind a doctor telling people that they can eat junk food, and as long as they lose weight, that is acceptable and they have achieved "success".

I'm glad to see, however, that the people on this forum have taken irresponsible medical advice and turned it around to make it healthier by choosing real food. Whether Dr. Johnson's calorie restriction is scientifically valid or not, I have a lot more respect for the people doing his diet that eat real food than I do for the doctor himself. But... I don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater, and will try to ignore his ignorance about nutrition and true health as I consider doing this.
I think you are putting words into his mouth. Nowhere does he suggest that people eat junk food. He suggests low GI and low fat if anything. However, most of us here came through the LC route and favour the Taubes attitude to 'low fat' foods. He is anything but ignorant. If you think of the appalling way Dr Atkins was criticised in the past and how much of what he say has been exonerated, I think you might moderate your views.

I suggest you take the time to read the book if JUDDD seriously interests you. It is available in many libraries. Do remember, however, that the book was written some years ago and there has been a lot more research into the health benefits of Intermittent Fasting of various types. All of it positive.

Naturally your own health issues will come first. We all have to accept responsibility for our food choices.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:43 AM   #84
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Thanks for your answers!

I really don't think Dr. J has given irresponsible advice. What he has done is show people that they can lose weight, and eat whatever they choose. If that means a person who did not want to give up cake, cookies, ice cream, hamburgers, pizza or alcohol in order to lose weight, doesn't have to, then it's revolutionary. This diet is intended for adults and people can make their own decisions about how healthy they need to eat, in addition to weight loss.

I had a complete junk-food day yesterday, and I don't regret it. I don't do that every Up day, but it's very freeing to know that doing so won't affect me in the long run, if I keep to my rotations. It's nice that you're doing some research and looking into what WOE that you think will work for you.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Old 08-07-2013, 05:53 AM   #85
Senior LCF Member

Dottie, Thanks for the links!

Kissa, The reason I said that about the junk food is because I read it on this thread, not in the book. Have people misunderstood that it is okay to eat junk food instead of real, healthy food?

In the comment after yours, Cindy seems to understand that there is nothing wrong with eating junk food on her up days.

I do want to get the book. I just found this thread yesterday and have not had the chance to order it at the library.

Does Dr. Johnson say that it is wrong for people to eat junk food in his book? Or does he say that junk food is okay because the real goal is to lose weight, not necessarily be healthy?
Old 08-07-2013, 05:57 AM   #86
Administrator

Dr Johnson says you make your own choices. That's a far cry from suggesting eating junk foods.
I agree with Kissa, you should get the book and get "first hand" knowledge then draw your own conclusions.
For me, I do occasionally have pizza or a burger, but my tendency is to lower carb, so my up days are usually protein, veggies and fats.
If I'm having a carby meal (cereal, pasta, grilled cheese, whatever) I keep it to one meal a day with non-veggie carbs and keep the other meals lower carb.
You have to figure out what works for you.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

2014 resolution: stop being my own worst enemy and critic!
Old 08-07-2013, 06:01 AM   #87
Senior LCF Member

I will order the book today. Thanks!

I guess I would have just had more confidence in the doctor if he had come right out and said "Eat real, whole foods. Don't eat junk food because it is not healthy."

People can still make their own decisions, obviously, but then he would be on record as saying that junk food is not healthy.

Just sayin'.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:02 AM   #88
Administrator

BTW one of my absolute favorite things on an UD is a really good grilled cheese on artisan bread with a variety of cheese, pesto, sometimes bacon.
I don't do that every UD, but I could , but it's nice to have that option and not be "cheating".
Old 08-07-2013, 06:06 AM   #89
Administrator

Quote:
I will order the book today. Thanks!

I guess I would have just had more confidence in the doctor if he had come right out and said "Eat real, whole foods. Don't eat junk food because it is not healthy."

People can still make their own decisions, obviously, but then he would be on record as saying that junk food is not healthy.

Just sayin'.
The problem with that is the generalization.
What you may consider "junk" may not be the same as someone else definition.
Example, I'm sure my grilled cheese is "junk" to you but to me, it's just an option I can choose.
It's along the same lines as what Atkins faced.
He said to be unafraid of fat, so naturally he got lambasted as pushing cheeseburgers, bacon, grease, huge steaks covered in butter, etc.
While those are perfectly acceptable on his plan, they're certainly not the only choices.
Just have an open mind and you'll get a lot more out of Dr. Johnsons wisdom and science than if you go into it thinking "well he advocates junk food"
Old 08-07-2013, 06:07 AM   #90
Senior LCF Member

Gotcha, Dottie!
Closed Thread