Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   maintain with 5:2 diet (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/808945-maintain-5-2-diet.html)

lylydvd 07-30-2013 08:52 AM

maintain with 5:2 diet

i have started my weight loss journey two years ago with modest loss : 65 lbs:(
that's because i'm slow loser at the first place in addition to taking long breaks
so i get bored with this diet thing and decided to forget dieting and counting calories forever and want to lose weight slowly / maintain so i have few questions for you maintainers
did you switch from juddd to 5:2 successfully without gaining weight / inches ? do you have to count calories on feast / feed days ?
can you eat very high carb five days a weeks without gaining or suffering from water retention ?
do fast days become more difficult now?
has anyone lost weight doing 5:2 after juddd?

SlowSure 07-30-2013 10:35 AM

My impression is that some of the maintainers lost a little bit extra after switching to 5:2 but pretty much stabilised thereafter because they adjusted their calories - but they did that because they wanted to maintain, not to lose more. (We have some maintainers like Adi who decided to regain a few pounds because she felt she looked too thin at her lower weight.)

Once you've adjusted to eating more carbs then it's unlikely you'd gain a lot of water weight from eating a day to day amount. It's difficult to comment further because I don't know anyone here who intentionally eats "very high carb" and I don't know whether you mean in terms of grammes or as a ratio of dietary intake (not that that would change matters, nobody here says that they do that - I just don't know if you mean 450-700g of carbs a day).

Kissa/Cindy and Dawn/KeirasMom do 5:2 or more DD (fast days) as needed - neither of them has reported finding them more difficult after their previous experience of JUDDD.

Carly 07-30-2013 11:09 AM

I maintained for four months on 5:2. I was not low carb during WLM so I ate just as many carbs on 5:2. I lost nothing on 5:2, but my plan was to maintain so that was good. I do not count on UDs. I haven't since early on, but I say that with caution since I never had problems with over eating while awake. I had to take other measures to control the sleepwalk eating. I'm losing a few more pounds and then will return to 5:2. For me 5:2 was effortless. I quite like EOD too, but I'm going to have to stop losing at some point... Right? ;)

MrsAndi 07-30-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylydvd (Post 16537059)
i have started my weight loss journey two years ago with modest loss : 65 lbs:(
that's because i'm slow loser at the first place in addition to taking long breaks
so i get bored with this diet thing and decided to forget dieting and counting calories forever and want to lose weight slowly / maintain so i have few questions for you maintainers
did you switch from juddd to 5:2 successfully without gaining weight / inches ? do you have to count calories on feast / feed days ?
can you eat very high carb five days a weeks without gaining or suffering from water retention ?
do fast days become more difficult now?
has anyone lost weight doing 5:2 after juddd?

Just started maintaining on 5:2. Lost a bit more weight. I track my calories religiously, still weigh and measure my food too. I eat alot of carbs and haven't notice any adverse effects. Fast days are still the same for me - easy going. Good luck!

Barbo 07-30-2013 03:34 PM

5/2 WLM and lots of other short cuts that I am not understanding as a newbie.

I can only guess 5 days UP/2 days Down? Weight Loss Maintenance?

EOD;s?

Carly 07-30-2013 03:44 PM

WLM- weight loss mode
EOD- Every Other Day
5:2- Made famous by Michael Mosely 5 UDs 2 DDs- The Fast Diet.

sloppail 07-30-2013 08:13 PM

For 5:2 which days do you make UDs and DDs usually? How does your pattern go? I'm thinking of maintainance soon...

Kim :heart:

Carly 07-31-2013 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sloppail (Post 16538200)
For 5:2 which days do you make UDs and DDs usually? How does your pattern go? I'm thinking of maintainance soon...

I was doing M and W as DDs. I think it should be whatever works for you. It really doesn't matter probably.

MrsAndi 07-31-2013 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sloppail (Post 16538200)

I don't have set days. I do my DDs when I feel like it. Just did my DDs back to back for this week. Doesn't seem to make a difference.

sloppail 08-01-2013 07:19 AM

Thanks for the responses :) I will research this a little more although it seems easy :) maybe M and Th?

KeirasMom 08-01-2013 10:55 AM

I continued to lose a little bit with 5:2 for the first few weeks, then stabilized. DDs were no harder with 5:2 than with EOD rotations. I usually did Monday and Thursday DDs, but it doesn't matter, other than you shouldn't do consecutive DDs (from the book).

Flutter 08-01-2013 03:02 PM

I think I want to lose a bit more but it's really nice to know 5:2 works so well for maintenance. Options, I like them!

sloppail 08-02-2013 02:28 PM

Thanks for the replies :) I think I will do M and Th's ...also another question...are the DDs in 5:2 500 or less for calories or are they 60% as in maintainance mode? How do you guys do it?

KeirasMom 08-02-2013 03:10 PM

I used the 20% calculation, but the book says 500. I was comfortable with usually around 250.

Carly 08-02-2013 03:15 PM

I did 300 or less calorie DDs and a range for UDs 1400-1800 (just depended if we were eating out or if it was just a plain old boring weekday menu.)
My current numbers are 1550/312 so this worked for the 4 months that I did it. I also felt that my SIRTs stayed really activated by having the low DDs. I have to admit though, that since returning to EOD I have even more energy, less pain and am sleeping a bit better, which surprised me.

sloppail 08-03-2013 06:16 PM

Thanks Carly and Dawn for the info. I really want to do maintainance right this time and not blow it. I will use the 20% #s for DDs and my regular #s for UDs, this should be good. I am excited to have 1-2 extra UDs every week to play with :)...how could there be any "downs" to this WOE!! Ha...

Thanks !

Ailuros 10-04-2013 01:22 PM

Thanks for the information in this thread. I think it will be early next year before I’m ready to maintain, but it’s nice to look at what the options are. I like the idea of changing to 5:2 because it makes it very simple, and it’s easy to add in extra days if necessary.

MamaTheNurse 10-04-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ailuros (Post 16630274)
Thanks for the information in this thread. I think it will be early next year before Iím ready to maintain, but itís nice to look at what the options are. I like the idea of changing to 5:2 because it makes it very simple, and itís easy to add in extra days if necessary.

:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:

I'm still quite a ways away from this point but it's never to early to dream, I say........

Carly 10-04-2013 07:29 PM

I love maintaining with 5:2. I couldn't imagine a better plan for my self.

Ailuros 10-05-2013 02:27 AM

All I have to do now is get there…

Becky 10-05-2013 05:46 AM

I was just over on that thread yesterday (on the "other plans" board) that plan strikes me as a less stringent JUDDD, I am getting a copy of the book and will consider it when I reach my goal.