Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Could use some encouragement (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/808934-could-use-some-encouragement.html)

elphie124 07-30-2013 05:51 AM

Could use some encouragement

I could use some warm fuzzies right about now. I have seen gains on the scale after my last two DDs (I'm not weighing after UDs) and it's so hard for me to remain positive and keep going when I'm doing everything I'm supposed to and not seeing results. Hopefully after another DD or two I'll be eating my words, but as of right now I am officially discouraged.

I know I don't have a lot to lose and it will be slow, but I wasn't expecting gains. And no, it's not TOM or excess sodium or some new strenuous workout. I've gone through all of the classic reasons for unexplained weight gain and none apply. The only thing I've done differently my last 2 DDs is add gluc and gluc products. Could that be it? I really really hope not because gluc is making my DDs much more bearable!

Here are my numbers since starting JUDDD:
7/15 - 146 (first day of JUDD, but also day after a binge. I had been holding steady around 140.)
7/16 - 144
7/18 - 140.4
7/20 - 138.6
7/22 - 137.4
7/24 - 137
7/26 - 136.6
7/28 - 137
7/30 - 137.8

I could use any advice or encouragement anyone has to share. I know I just need to look at the big picture and keep going but my positivity is tanking.

:help:

piglet513 07-30-2013 06:00 AM

You've lost nearly ten pounds in 15 days, and that's great!! Sometimes our bodies even out after a woosh and bounce in weight a little. Try not to get too discouraged; you're doing wonderfully!! :D You've had way more losses than gains, so that's something to be positive about. I have faith in you and JUDDD, and I'm sure that if you stick with it, you'll see more losses. There was a time when I was very discouraged with my bouncing, but these wonderful JB's reminded me that they'd all been there from time to time, and before I knew it, I was losing very well again. Chin up! :)

SlowSure 07-30-2013 06:18 AM

If you're not accustomed to glucomannan it will take a little time to adapt but then you'll get a more accurate reading. You've checked what you're doing and you know that you're on plan. This is one of those tricky, 'Trust the process' times.

It's horrible, and it's so difficult to persevere when there's no short-term feedback yet there isn't a decent option at this point. :console:

This is either a 'grit your teeth' or 'flow like water' until you reach somewhere better time (depending on your preference).

elphie124 07-30-2013 06:18 AM

Thanks Piglet. I don't really consider this to be true though:
Quote:

You've lost nearly ten pounds in 15 days
I had a bad binge right before starting JUDDD causing a giant bounce on the scale but I had weighed 140 almost the entire rest of the month prior to that. So in mind, I've a lost a bunch of bloat and 2.2 pounds.

Macci 07-30-2013 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elphie124 (Post 16536887)
Thanks Piglet. I don't really consider this to be true though: I had a bad binge right before starting JUDDD causing a giant bounce on the scale but I had weighed 140 almost the entire rest of the month prior to that. So in mind, I've a lost a bunch of bloat and 2.2 pounds.

Elphie :hugs: From what I know of JUDDD, and from reading all the posts of all the wonderful people here, 2.2 pounds in 10 days is a normal loss on JUDDD because it's not a quick weight loss plan. Also, the weight seems to come off a few pounds here, and none there, etc, but with an overall downward trend. If you look at other people's records you will see the same thing. You are doing great, hang in there, keep JUDDDing and the weight will come off, albeit sometimes a little more slowly than we'd like.

LoCarbGal 07-30-2013 07:22 AM

I agree that you're doing wonderfully! I know you don't consider the whole thing as a loss since you had had a binge pre-start. But your body does. It just released 10 pounds of fat, water, etc. in 15 days. It's taking a break now and re-evaluating.

One thing that seems to slow me down is (ahem...TMI) when I don't "go" for several days. One thing JUDDD has done to/for me is that I won't need to "go" for 3 or 4, sometimes even 5 days. No discomfort, just no need. Then oh boy do I go, and the scale always shows it. Gluc could be contributing to that too.

Hang in there! Just trust JUDDD and it's magic and don't expect losses to happen every single DD. It just doesn't work that way. But it does work.:hugs:

elphie124 07-30-2013 07:28 AM

Thanks everyone. I'm not nearly as discouraged about not seeing losses as I am about seeing GAINS! I keep trying to tell myself that it's impossible that it's fat gain because I'm not eating anywhere enough calories for that. It's still tough mentally. My pants are tight too, which is not helping. I think I might lay off the scale for a while. It has way too much power over my mood.

Kissa 07-30-2013 08:14 AM

We need to find a link to Patti's graphs! I am so useless at this kind of thing.

But really Elphie, when we say that the scale bounces, we don't simply mean up after UDs and down after DDs. Weight loss is not linear, it would be great if it were. But our bodies hold water, our bodies go on strike, our digestive tract is not a machine, our hormones aren't simple.

You are doing fine, the gluc may have caused this little bounce, or it may any combination of the other things I mention above. Be gentle with yourself and try to be patient.

Sending warm fuzzy :hugs::hugs::hugs: anyway.

elphie124 07-30-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

You've had way more losses than gains, so that's something to be positive about. I have faith in you and JUDDD, and I'm sure that if you stick with it, you'll see more losses.
So true, thanks! I am going to try really hard to focus on the positive to push through. The nice thing about JUDDD is that today is an UD so there's no need to turn to comforting binge behaviors like I would have on other WOEs. I have plenty of calories to eat some healthy meals today and treat myself without going overboard.

Quote:

It's horrible, and it's so difficult to persevere when there's no short-term feedback yet there isn't a decent option at this point.

This is either a 'grit your teeth' or 'flow like water' until you reach somewhere better time (depending on your preference).
Exactly! It's so frustrating yet I know in a matter of days the entire situation could be turned around. In my current mindset though, that's not a comfort. I am being a "negative Nelly"!

Quote:

Also, the weight seems to come off a few pounds here, and none there, etc, but with an overall downward trend. If you look at other people's records you will see the same thing.
Thanks! I know there are some threads that show this. I am going to go check them out.

Quote:

One thing that seems to slow me down is (ahem...TMI) when I don't "go" for several days. One thing JUDDD has done to/for me is that I won't need to "go" for 3 or 4, sometimes even 5 days. No discomfort, just no need. Then oh boy do I go, and the scale always shows it. Gluc could be contributing to that too.
LOL. I wondered if that could be it. I took 2 probiotics today instead of one to see if I can promote some....errr....movement.

Quote:

But really Elphie, when we say that the scale bounces, we don't simply mean up after UDs and down after DDs. Weight loss is not linear, it would be great if it were. But our bodies hold water, our bodies go on strike, our digestive tract is not a machine, our hormones aren't simple.
This is super helpful! I really did think that the bounce meant up after UDs and down after DDs.

I think I have been very spoiled. When I lost 50lbs on WW years ago, I NEVER had a single gain. I had some weeks where I didn't lose but never a gain. Of course, I have tried WW again and it didn't do anything for me so I can't expect my body to work the same way today as it did then. Such a learning process!!!!

MintQ8 07-30-2013 08:51 AM

I don't have graphs - but after my lovely whoosh that took me to 25lb lost - I have since bounced back up to between 15 & 20lbs lost only - I've spent several days around 9 or 10lbs heavier than I was. Also, I've had several gains or no loss after a DD.

It's depressing, but it's just my body settling. I'm losing inches, clothes fit better, I feel better & I have energy! The scale is just one thing to use as a guide. I still weigh daily but you have to take the up with the down (literally), and just keep on keeping on!

tobelowcarber 07-30-2013 08:53 AM

Elphie- don't be discouraged. I think you are doing very well. Scale sometimes takes time to catch with real weight loss.

I agree with Carol, TMI can really slow the numbers.

Check out this thread. I go back to it any time I feel discouraged with my numbers
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ju...d-anymore.html

Kissa 07-30-2013 08:54 AM

And here is Pami's graph.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ju...april-8-a.html

elphie124 07-30-2013 08:56 AM

You guys are so awesome! Thank you! I credit all of my future success (that I will have, dang it!) to the support and encouragement here.

Librarygirl 07-30-2013 09:00 AM

Elphie, you have been losing a little over a lb a week, and that's nothing to sneeze at! If you continue sticking to your rotations and calories, you will probably begin to see that you're losing even more than that (a week).:hugs:

Flutter 07-30-2013 10:46 AM

Stay the course & don't panic. You will be JUST FINE!!! I so understand just wanting to KNOW that you're doing ok & things are working. THEY ARE! Ignore the scale. really. It's mean. You are doing fabulous!!!!!!!!!

zipp2play 07-30-2013 11:39 AM

For the bounce reason alone, I only weigh about once every couple of weeks. The numbers completely mess with me. Years ago I decided the scale would have no more control over me. At one point, I didn't weigh for over 2 years. In fact, when I started JUDDD, weighed and only let my DH see it. For the first 8 weeks, I would weigh with him once a week only allowing HIM to see the number....Follow JUDDD and the numbers will fall into place, even at your level so close to goal.

sterlinggirl 08-02-2013 08:11 AM

:hugs: Your doing just fine.. Relax and let the body do its thing.. you go this girl!~:heart:

JMBM 08-02-2013 09:28 AM

Elphie you are doing wonderful. I at one time experienced that and then someone mentioned having a good high up day followed by a low dd might shake things up a bit. I worked for me and seemed to give my metab. a little kick. there's a thread called "Shake it up baby" that's very interesting. Wish you the best! Hang in there!:up:

elphie124 08-02-2013 09:34 AM

Thanks ladies! I *think* that my problem is actually of a...ummmm...sensitive nature. This WOE (or maybe gluc) has me quite clogged up (if you get my drift). I am now trying some natural methods to get things going. :o

laceylady 08-02-2013 09:37 AM

I think a lot of us get impatient. I don't get on the scales nearly as much as I was in May/June, and I only weigh after a DD, but I know JUDDD works, so I keep plugging along. My clothes are getting looser so I must be doing something right, even if the scales don't reflect it. I've only lost 11 pounds since the beginning of May and can get discouraged knowing it SHOULD BE MORE. But, as much as I hate to say it: "It is what it is". And I'll take it. At least the numbers on the scale are staying the same or going down slowly, instead of the upward trend they were on between my last JUDDDercise and when I started again in May. You're doing great -- KUTGW!!

AndyBFK 08-02-2013 11:48 AM

The scale has NOT been nice to me. Not at all. I went over a month on JUDDD with no weight loss, freaked out because of it, went off plan for 2 weeks and gained 2lbs in that process, and then committed myself to start all over again. I was hyper focused on figuring out what went wrong, what I should do or not do differently this time, etc. And I did make little changes and the scale has started moving again (but slowly). But one thing I wasn't focusing on was how I was feeling, how I was looking, and unfortunately I never bothered to track how many inches I was losing. I have been bouncing up and down and all over the same 5lbs for the last two months. And I have ALOT more to loose than you. But, I'm also noticing now how different my body looks, how different my clothes are fitting, and how different I feel. Sometimes when the scale is downright just ticking me off, I read the NSV thread's and it gets me in a much better place. It's not all about the numbers (as much as we obsess it to be!)

tofucheez 08-03-2013 11:25 AM

FWIW

I retain a CRAZY amount of fluid when I eat gluc. Seriously crazy. My pants will go from loose to tight, and the fluid retention even includes in my joints, so it makes moving difficult and painful. Through repeated trials I am positive gluc is the cause. This revelation also made me sad, because gluc can be so helpful when you have the munchees! But in the end it's just not worth it to me. I just feel too horrible, both mentally and physically, when I eat it.

and now I have a wack load of gluc I got from Netrition that I don't know what to do with!

Barbo 08-03-2013 02:49 PM

Hi Honey,
I completely empathize with you.
Your other little problem is that you are almost at the end
of your weight loss journey. How many times have we heard that
the last 10 lbs. was the hardest to get off. You will do this, we will
all be here for you.

pooticus 08-03-2013 06:42 PM

You have gotten great support and advice here!

Just want to add this for you :hugs:

Remember NSVs, measure!!!