Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 06:52 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Fluffy_Bunny
Stats: 220/184.8/160 5'7"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: July 9, 2013
Losing the last few pounds slowly?

I've been thinking about this and in the past I've usually gone gung-ho towards my weight loss goals, and while I always make it I've rebounded almost as quickly because either the habits never got a chance to stick, or my body never stayed at one weight long enough to establish a "reset point".

This time, I'm taking a more relaxed approach to my fat loss, and if I lose an average of 1-3 pounds a week by combining JUDDD and high intensity workouts 6 days a week I'll be very VERY happy.

Because changing my body composition and keeping the weight off for good is such a big issue for me this time around I'm thinking to deliberately take the last 20 pounds off really slowly....like 1 pound a week and no faster than that. I'll be 2/3rds into my weight loss progress at that point. During that phase I also plan to workout with more resistance with a goal of gaining a bit of muscle and reshaping my body.

If it means I have to eat up to 40% - 50% on my DD's to slow the weight loss down I'll do it. I just feel like taking the loooooooong scenic route to my ultimate goal weight will be best for stabilization purposes, hard wiring these new habits into my brain and life and ensuring optimal body composition.

Has anyone else thought of doing this? Deliberately dragging out losing your last few pounds on the road to maintenance? Am I just nuts for thinking like this?

Any feedback welcomed!
Fluffy_Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2013, 06:58 AM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I only lost 1 pound a week or less so to me that is normal. So dragging out the last few pounds was just the way I did it. HAve no idea which way is best and I would guess it is a very individual thing. I was not and am not in a hurry so it worked for me.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:59 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Goner
Stats: 184/158/157 restart 5-1-14 165.5/164/154
Start Date: May 2013
I agree with your thinking that for you losing slower might be best given the reasons you stated and you think you can accomplish this with exercise and 40 - 50% calories. And I think experimenting with the calories and exercise when the time comes will let you know if your body agrees with the plan.

I am losing right now on JUDDD faster than my usual dieting. I am very happy with my progress, but considering I have never maintained - I have given thought to the idea that slower might be better, but not enough thought to try to slow down what is happening pretty much effortlessly. I'm trying to change my mindset to believe JUDDD will work - and leave well enough alone till and IF it doesn't.

Good luck on your journey. We each must do what we feel is best, listen to our bodies and stay healthy!
Goner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:49 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/155.4/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
For many people, weight loss automatically slows down as you get closer to goal. For others, they have to slam on the brakes at maintenance because they just keep losing without wanting to (lucky!).

I took several "maintenance breaks" during WLM and it worked well for me. I think it's important to let your body adjust to your new, lower weight along the way. My natural inclination was to take a break when my loss was slowing down anyway, and I've since read that it's beneficial to do so. That does not mean going off plan, just eating at maintenance levels for a few weeks or a month or whatever.

I'm now in maintenance, but wouldn't mind losing a few more inches, if not pounds. The problem is that as I lose more weight, I'm not losing it where I want to. So, for me, I'm going to try to maintain where I am for a while and see what happens with my body composition. Then, if things still aren't going the way I want them to, I'll rethink it.

In essence, since January I've maintained for a few months, lost a little bit, maintained again, and may lose again, so that's a very slow loss at close to goal.

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
May 2014: Still maintaining; taking a stab at HDE/IE
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: piglet513
Stats: 214/199/130 5' 3 1/4" 34 yrs old
Start Date: 6/17/13-Atkins. 7/6/13-JUDDD
I know when I was on Atkins, the plan was to stay in induction until you had about 15 pounds left and then you'd start upping your numbers as you approached goal. The idea behind it being that you are able to adjust to staying at goal weight slowly, but you can still lose the bulk of it quickly in the beginning. It makes perfect sense to me!
piglet513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:52 AM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I don't think I'm going to have any choice in the matter. I lost 8 - 10 pounds a month for quite awhile, but it has slowed down considerably the past few months and I still have 55 pounds to goal. I have the feeling I'll be turtling it down those last pounds when I get there.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:25 PM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Noooooooo, I want to race to the finish!!!! Hahahaha, I'm going slow now, so I'll probably be just as slow getting to goal. It sounds like a sensible plan to me.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:39 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 37yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I lost the last 10lb from 136-126 as fast as I lost the first 10lbs. I went into maintenance in early February at 126.8 and on July 7th I went back into WLM at 126.9. I saw 122.8 a couple days ago, but as of tonight am at 123.5. Not bad for less than 3 weeks considering these are very much "vanity" pounds. I figure my weight loss will be 80% the effort I put into it and 20% what my body agrees to.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:13 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the feedback ladies! I'm going to stick to my plan and see what happens.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:19 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/132/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
Yes, I losing my last 5 lbs slowly. Last week I did more of an eating window than calorie counting (just had a busy week didn't plan it that way) but pretty much maintained although I would have liked to lost a bit. If my last 5 lbs comes off by the first day of Fall then I'll be happy. Although my unofficial goal is 125 lbs I want to check with my doctor to see if he thinks it's a decent goal or maybe should make it lower. Not sure what will be best but either way I'm pretty close! Good luck with your plan Fluffy!
Old 07-26-2013, 08:05 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Good luck luck with your plan..Some times deciding to go it a slower pace gets you mentally prepared for maintenance .. So this can be a great tool! Congrats on how far you have come on your journey~
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:40 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Thanks ladies! I have quite a way to go before I even reach my final 20 pounds so right now I have my sights on offloading these first twenty. I'm almost half way there and looking to be in onederland by labor day. Can't wait!
Old 07-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I'll be celebrating with you when you get to Onderland! It's quite a milestone, and somehow I've felt so much more "normal" since hitting it. It's freeing in a way. I didn't realize it would feel quite like that. Now I'm 18.5 pounds from being overweight instead of obese so that's my next goal. But honestly, sometimes I really feel only overweight now.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:15 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
I'll be celebrating with you when you get to Onderland! It's quite a milestone, and somehow I've felt so much more "normal" since hitting it. It's freeing in a way. I didn't realize it would feel quite like that. Now I'm 18.5 pounds from being overweight instead of obese so that's my next goal. But honestly, sometimes I really feel only overweight now.
LCG you rock! I've been following your progress in the daily weight loss thread and you're doing phenomenally well! I know what you mean about being in onederland. Nobody believes me when I say I'm over 200 pounds but the scale doesn't lie. I have 20+ pounds to go before I'm "overweight". I look forward to being just that.

It's hard to remember sometimes that my weight starts with a 2....or perhaps it's just hard for me to accept it. I won't accept it and I'm making steps to change it! Onward and downward!
Old 07-30-2013, 03:54 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
fluffy, it's great that you're planning & it's awesome that you're DOING, too. You will make it just fine to goal & you will enjoy every minute of getting there! Woohoo!!! Keep it up!!!
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:03 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Flutter! To me, maintenance is SO much more challenging that weight loss. I'm looking to you and the other seasoned maintainers to keep me on the straight and narrow once I do get down to my target weight and body fat level. You are all doing amazing!
Old 07-30-2013, 05:00 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffy_Bunny View Post
Thanks Flutter! To me, maintenance is SO much more challenging that weight loss. I'm looking to you and the other seasoned maintainers to keep me on the straight and narrow once I do get down to my target weight and body fat level. You are all doing amazing!
Oh I completely understand & have felt (still do, really!) the same way when I found this plan. Maintainers are what got me started again. I'm not going anywhere.
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:30 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: windygap
Stats: Ex:166/136/130
WOE: Atkins now doing JUDDD and lowcarb
Start Date: April28,2013JUDDD start June 16' 2013
It sounds like a great plan fluffy bunny. Your doing great!
windygap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:45 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Thanks ladies!
Old 08-10-2013, 07:09 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jacquelinejolie
Stats: 183.4/163/130
I was thinking of doing the same thing and also have about 40 pounds to go to goal. (That's if my body cooperates.) I've always lost quickly down to ~150 and then stall out there naturally and then get diet fatigue and give up. Maintain it for a few months without too much problem and then something would happen work wise to make me lose focus... Bounce back up to the 180's or low 190's within 6 months and then rinse, repeat. I've done that at least half a dozen times in the last 12 years. Just so sick of playing with that particular yoyo. Was so hoping that I could get to 150 by Christmas / New Years (so 23 pounds in about 4.5 months - figuring xmas is kind of a write-off/time to maintain) and then lose that last 20 over the next 8 months. Lofty goal of 2.5 pounds a month. But would like it to be 3 pounds of fat lost and .5 pounds of muscle gained.

I don't know, like Carly I might go for 5 more pounds for vanity sake. I weighed 115-125 for years and felt best at 125 with some nice looking muscles. I don't know if I have the hormones left anymore to make those nice looking muscles like I used to though. I think it gives time for the skin to adjust, to shop for new clothes slowly and yes, above all - learn how to **maintain!!!**
jacquelinejolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Fluffy

You are doing so well.

I don't have a chance to decided how it goes with me.
A turtle I have always been and I understand about getting to
certain weight and then stalling for so long and quitting and going
back up 20 lbs. or so. Sometimes I am so grateful for one or two
pounds to show me that at least I am working towards goal and that
my body is cooperating. Hang in there.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:42 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquelinejolie View Post
I was thinking of doing the same thing and also have about 40 pounds to go to goal. (That's if my body cooperates.) I've always lost quickly down to ~150 and then stall out there naturally and then get diet fatigue and give up. Maintain it for a few months without too much problem and then something would happen work wise to make me lose focus... Bounce back up to the 180's or low 190's within 6 months and then rinse, repeat. I've done that at least half a dozen times in the last 12 years. Just so sick of playing with that particular yoyo. Was so hoping that I could get to 150 by Christmas / New Years (so 23 pounds in about 4.5 months - figuring xmas is kind of a write-off/time to maintain) and then lose that last 20 over the next 8 months. Lofty goal of 2.5 pounds a month. But would like it to be 3 pounds of fat lost and .5 pounds of muscle gained.

I don't know, like Carly I might go for 5 more pounds for vanity sake. I weighed 115-125 for years and felt best at 125 with some nice looking muscles. I don't know if I have the hormones left anymore to make those nice looking muscles like I used to though. I think it gives time for the skin to adjust, to shop for new clothes slowly and yes, above all - learn how to **maintain!!!**
Hi JJ! I tooottallly understand where you're coming from and see a lot of myself in your story. In fact after reading your post I'm thinking I want to take off the last 20 pounds even slower. I'm thinking of going for about half a pound a week. Whatever it is I want the increment to be so small that it doesn't even feel like I'm doing it. I'm ultimately aiming to be 160 AFTER an UD so I'm guessing 3-5 pounds under that is a good number for me and will give me a safe range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbo View Post
You are doing so well.

I don't have a chance to decided how it goes with me.
A turtle I have always been and I understand about getting to
certain weight and then stalling for so long and quitting and going
back up 20 lbs. or so. Sometimes I am so grateful for one or two
pounds to show me that at least I am working towards goal and that
my body is cooperating. Hang in there.
Hi Barbo! Thank you so much for your kind words. Weight loss isn't easy but it IS possible.I know most of us (especially myself) want everything to happen quickly but to me it's more important that it happens in a healthy and sustainable way.

I saw your post about not losing anything and getting discouraged and I've seen the replies to hang in there because sometimes it takes a while for the scale to go down. I believe that JUDD will work for you if you stick with it.

This race isn't for the swift, but for those who endure. Embrace your inner tortoise! After all we know who wins in the end!