Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 03:32 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kitty_el
WOE: JUDDD - EOD/STILLMANS :)
Start Date: June 2013
Fasting on Down Days

Hey everyone - If you completely fast on your DD's do you increase your UD calories to compensate - so for example my DD calories would be 350 and my UD would be 1850 - so should I stick with 1850 or include my DD calories on my UD which would be 2200?

Thank you
kitty_el is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2013, 03:38 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
It's hard to say for sure, but you could try.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:55 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Hmmm well at the moment I am fasting on DD's and sticking with 1850 but just thought maybe I should be eating more. I guess I will see how I get on.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:13 AM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Are you losing well, kitty?
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:17 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

I was up until a week ago, it was my husbands bday and we went for food etc and one day day turned into a week.
I wasn't tracking UD calories b4 just fasting on DD's but I want to start tracking now & see if it makes a difference to weight loss.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:14 AM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Did you go a week without DDs? I think you can probably go higher on UDs if you don't eat anything on DDs, but I have never done that so I don't know for sure.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:18 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Yes well actually it was about 10 days & I have gained 4lbs
Not good... Do you fast completely on DD's?
Old 07-25-2013, 05:21 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty_el View Post
Hmmm well at the moment I am fasting on DD's and sticking with 1850 but just thought maybe I should be eating more. I guess I will see how I get on.
That is a daily average of 925. That is about my daily average during weight loss mode so you can add another 100 or 200, but that would bring your daily average up. That could be good or not so good so you may need to experiment.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:03 AM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Yes well actually it was about 10 days & I have gained 4lbs
Not good... Do you fast completely on DD's?
No, I don't. Lately there's been a lot of talk about losing too much lean body mass while dieting (extremely?). I never fasted completely, but now I don't feel as bad about it, and am trying to add more protein on both days.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:13 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Fluffy_Bunny
Stats: 220/184.8/160 5'7"
Start Date: July 9, 2013
I've been JUDDDing for a little over 2 weeks now and my last 2 DD's have been fully fasted. I'm not weighing again until July 31, so I'm not sure what kind of difference it's making, if any as far as weight loss.

What I can tell you is that I'm down 7.4 pounds in my first 2 weeks of JUDDD (5 the first, 2 the second) and I don't count calories at all. I eat until I'm satisfied on UD's and throw it a treat or two throughout the day when I feel for them.

Since I've been doing the 0 cal down days I find that I'm slightly more hungry on UD's and I eat to satisfaction. I imagine I'm having a bit more, but not by much. This really is all about experimenting and finding what works and what doesn't.

I'll definitely come back and update when I do take my weight again next Wednesday.

One last thing I will say is that if going 0 cals is too hard and it makes you give up or binge on UD's, it's not worth it even if you'd lose a bit faster. The plan only works if you work it...so make sure it's comfortable and workable for you.
Fluffy_Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:02 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Hey Fluffy Bunny thank you for your reply.

I have been doing strict EOD rotations for the last 5 weeks - I have been completely fasting on my DD's and eating whatever I want on my UD's - literally everything I want & alcohol and I have lost 15lb's.

Although this seems a lot, I am tall 5ft10, I have quite a lot to lose and I usually lose weight quicker than this. So I wondered if counting my UD calories would result in quicker weight loss.

Well done on your weight loss - that really is fab!!! Please report back in next week when you weigh in and if you decide to count UD calories I would be interested to see if you get on better/stay same etc.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
No, I don't. Lately there's been a lot of talk about losing too much lean body mass while dieting (extremely?). I never fasted completely, but now I don't feel as bad about it, and am trying to add more protein on both days.
Are you referring to muscle loss? Do you think fasting would result in this? I presumed as we were only doing it every other day this wouldn't happen.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/114/115-120
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Are you referring to muscle loss? Do you think fasting would result in this? I presumed as we were only doing it every other day this wouldn't happen.
The difficulty is that nobody knows.

Dr Johnson's and Prof Mottson's research indicates that EOD fasts trigger various genetic changes (the JUDDD magic of SIRT1s amongst others) and also brings about a protein-sparing effect thus preserving your lean body mass (including muscle).

However, there isn't a test to demonstrate that these changes have occurred: it may eventually prove that although these changes happen in the majority of people who do this, there is a sub-group of JUDDDers who don't make these epigenetic shifts and who don't achieve this protein-sparing status. It may well be fine for well-nourished people with good reserves to fast EOD and not incur any muscle losses - particularly in the light of other genetic changes.

However, this may not be true for others of us. And, further, if you already have a relatively small amount of lean body mass, it may not be advisable to jeopardise it by creating protein deficits, IYSWIM. (I have a low LBM: it's <77lbs in total of which muscle mass is a small part - losing even half a pound of it would be very unwise.)

ETA: Those JUDDDers who report JUDDD magic may well be exhibiting all sorts of protein conservation and deeply efficient recycling via a number of mechanisms. I've never experienced it (may be for a number of reasons). I don't think, by the by, that JUDDD affected my muscle mass - I'm just adopting a precautionary principle.

Last edited by SlowSure; 07-25-2013 at 02:17 PM.. Reason: ETA
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hey Fluffy Bunny thank you for your reply.

I have been doing strict EOD rotations for the last 5 weeks - I have been completely fasting on my DD's and eating whatever I want on my UD's - literally everything I want & alcohol and I have lost 15lb's.

Although this seems a lot, I am tall 5ft10, I have quite a lot to lose and I usually lose weight quicker than this. So I wondered if counting my UD calories would result in quicker weight loss.

Well done on your weight loss - that really is fab!!! Please report back in next week when you weigh in and if you decide to count UD calories I would be interested to see if you get on better/stay same etc.
Congrats on your weight loss, 3 pounds a week is awesome! Anything 2 and over I consider a blessing. I'm 5' 7". I'll definitely report back my week 3 weight loss with doing total fasted DD's. I think I'll only start counting calories if I see my weight stuck at one level for over a week. If I do I'll make sure to report that as well.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:08 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Well to answer the first part of the question.. I would not add the calories from the DD to the next.. I was one of those whom never ate on my DD.. I drink coffee and water.. and lost 60 pounds.. Not a lot of weight like Dawn but none the less found a plan that worked for me.. I also was one who chose to eat no processed foods or at least alot less of them and it was hard to consume that many calories with out adding things i deemed not to healthy like butter just to get my number up there, and lots of peanut butter .. im still addicted to peanut butter and bananas .. I also found at least for me.. No food was easier to control.. if i ate .. i could not shut it off.. had no will power if i gave in and ate BUT tons of will power to just say no.. What i did find was.. There was no need to really go that low.. i did not lose any faster or slower if i did eat .. Each body is different.. If you want to add the calories to the next day just be prepaird for a possible stall.. Not saying it will, but it might.. Best of luck to what ever you decided to try.. each body reacts different to this woe.. so find what works best for your body..
1995 190# Low fat
2012 225#
2012 found JUDDD
166# current 2014
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:27 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Well to answer the first part of the question.. I would not add the calories from the DD to the next.. I was one of those whom never ate on my DD.. I drink coffee and water.. and lost 60 pounds.. Not a lot of weight like Dawn but none the less found a plan that worked for me.. I also was one who chose to eat no processed foods or at least alot less of them and it was hard to consume that many calories with out adding things i deemed not to healthy like butter just to get my number up there, and lots of peanut butter .. im still addicted to peanut butter and bananas .. I also found at least for me.. No food was easier to control.. if i ate .. i could not shut it off.. had no will power if i gave in and ate BUT tons of will power to just say no.. What i did find was.. There was no need to really go that low.. i did not lose any faster or slower if i did eat .. Each body is different.. If you want to add the calories to the next day just be prepaird for a possible stall.. Not saying it will, but it might.. Best of luck to what ever you decided to try.. each body reacts different to this woe.. so find what works best for your body..
Thank you for the reply, I am exactly the same in regards finding it easier to just not eat on DD's. My willpower is great if I just don't eat!
Losing 60lb is fantastic - really well done How long did it take you to lose all that? Were you very strict or did u have any cheat days?

Thanks again
Old 07-28-2013, 10:33 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
I wouldn't worry about losing lean body mass on this WOE. If you do a google on alternet day fasting or modified alternet day fasting you will see a lot of studies. It seems lean body mass is prserved on this WOE . One 12 week study ever reported that most people even gained about 1.5 lbs of lean body mass all without exercise.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:33 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Well Thank you Kitty el.. It took me about 6 months.. My how time flys.. I stopped at 166.8 , thought that was my end goal.. Start this past MArch with lifting and from increase of food to "feed" my muscles i was building i put on 4 pounds and kept it up till this past week when i started back with full DD rotations again.. Those pesky pounds are gone in 5 days along with another pound with it.. I have set up new goals.. i want to see more defination in my muscles and the only way i can do that is lose a lil more fat.. So on my way down to 150 is where i am headed!! BEst of luck to you and oh.. Did i have cheat days.. I would have to say no.. Never could allow a cheat day..With JUDDD our Cheat days are call UP DAYS!!
Old 07-29-2013, 06:57 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Well Thank you Kitty el.. It took me about 6 months.. My how time flys.. I stopped at 166.8 , thought that was my end goal.. Start this past MArch with lifting and from increase of food to "feed" my muscles i was building i put on 4 pounds and kept it up till this past week when i started back with full DD rotations again.. Those pesky pounds are gone in 5 days along with another pound with it.. I have set up new goals.. i want to see more defination in my muscles and the only way i can do that is lose a lil more fat.. So on my way down to 150 is where i am headed!! BEst of luck to you and oh.. Did i have cheat days.. I would have to say no.. Never could allow a cheat day..With JUDDD our Cheat days are call UP DAYS!!
I can't believe you lost all that weight in only 6 months, again well done
I guess you are right about cheat days, you don't really need them with JUDDD, thats why it is such a great way to eat.

I am currently experimenting with Stillman's I am doing a 21 day challenge, I need to get some weight off quickly for a wedding in 3 weeks but after this I am 100% back to JUDDD (I do really love this WOE and how much better I feel while eating this way).

Congrats on the 5lb loss & I am sure it won't take you long to reach 150.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:11 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Best of luck to you with your current goal.. I know you will succeed ~
Old 07-31-2013, 05:50 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

As promised I'm back to report my weight loss after a week of fully fasted DD's. My weight loss in the last week with 500 calorie DD's was exactly 2 pounds which put me at 212.6 pounds. This morning the scale put me at 208.8 pounds which makes for a loss of 3.8 pounds in the last week (actually 8 days) AND today is the second day of TOM so I'm a bit bloated.

I'm more than happy with that number and if I can continue to get these kinds of weekly results I'll stick to fully fasted DD's. I don't feel any worse with them and drink plenty of water during these days.

I say give it a try and see how it works out for you!
Old 07-31-2013, 07:18 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffy_Bunny View Post
As promised I'm back to report my weight loss after a week of fully fasted DD's. My weight loss in the last week with 500 calorie DD's was exactly 2 pounds which put me at 212.6 pounds. This morning the scale put me at 208.8 pounds which makes for a loss of 3.8 pounds in the last week (actually 8 days) AND today is the second day of TOM so I'm a bit bloated.

I'm more than happy with that number and if I can continue to get these kinds of weekly results I'll stick to fully fasted DD's. I don't feel any worse with them and drink plenty of water during these days.

I say give it a try and see how it works out for you!
Thats great almost a 4lb loss Are you still not counting calories?
Old 07-31-2013, 10:25 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

WOW fluffy your did awesome!! Congrats on fully fasting DD.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:34 AM   #24
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Dr J suggests fasting is best for DD's, but that he realizes, for most people, it's just not either doable or convenient (brain fog, weakness, etc), so he suggests 500 calories as a DD calorie number.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:17 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
I have done mainly liquid (coffee, water, diet soda, with the occasional skinny latte or frap if needed) DDs since I started back in Nov. I found out quickly I am just hungrier if I chew on food, so I don't. I have no idea if I would have lost any faster eating or not, but it sure didn't hurt me. I will say that I am ok going over my UD cals by 200 or so by fasting on DDs. So FOR ME, I seem to be able to add those unused DD cals to my UD ones and lose just fine. I think it's one of those YMMV things. All you can do, really, is try it and see how it goes for you!

Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:17 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thats great almost a 4lb loss Are you still not counting calories?
Yup! No calories counted. I think it helps that I'm not a natural over eater. I can only eat so much in a day before I feel uncomfortably full. I just eat to satisfaction and of course don't only eat high fat and high sugar stuff (even though I have at LEAST 1 treat a day). It's working for me so I'll keep doing it!

Quote:
WOW fluffy your did awesome!! Congrats on fully fasting DD.
Thank you! I'm loving JUDDD and eating this way is much easier than I ever imagined it would be.