Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   PH Peeps - POTATO CHIPS! eek! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/808578-ph-peeps-potato-chips-eek.html)

Charski 07-23-2013 04:42 PM

PH Peeps - POTATO CHIPS! eek!

So I drug out my mandoline slicer and sliced a smallish potato as thinly as the blade would allow. Put those out in a single layer on a nonstick foil-lined baking sheet. Sprayed ever-so-lightly with olive oil cooking spray, sprinkled with sea salt, and popped into a preheated 400* oven for just about 10 minutes.

Oh my. Good thing I only did ONE potato! :eek: :D

I had a few slices that wouldn't fit on the single baking sheet and didn't want to line another with foil just for a dozen slices, so I remembered I had bought a microwave potato chip cooker tray - dug that out of the cupboard and again, very light spritz of olive oil cooking spray and a sprinkle of garlic salt. 2 minutes 30 seconds - potato chips! These didn't brown like the oven-made ones but they were very crispy and delicious!

I know I'll be doing this occasionally - who can argue with a lunch of potato chips?! :laugh:

laceylady 07-23-2013 04:54 PM

OMG -- that sounds wonderful!!!

handbells 07-23-2013 05:22 PM

yum!

adillenal 07-23-2013 05:25 PM

I can only do the potato chips on an UD since I can eat my weight in microwave potato chips and that kind of defeats the purpose of a potato DD.

Librarygirl 07-23-2013 06:08 PM

I'm afraid I'd be slicing all night long and microwaving. :D

Charski 07-23-2013 06:54 PM

LOL! Restraint is the name of the chip game!

Which is why only ONE potato was sliced.

Actually it was quite satisfying and I've not yet felt any hunger pangs since eating them.

Barbo 07-23-2013 07:50 PM

Only have one thing to say

WOW!

pooticus 07-23-2013 09:36 PM

wow girl!

tater chips are my kryptonite!

those sound delish!!! :D

adillenal 07-24-2013 09:32 AM

I have no restraint with microwave potato chips. Or cookies either so it is easier to avoid both on a DD.

MintQ8 07-24-2013 09:39 AM

Got me thinking!

Goner 07-24-2013 10:47 AM

YUM! I have done the same with sweet potatoes - and I only buy one sweet potato at a time at the grocery, that way I won't overdo.

Charski 07-24-2013 02:02 PM

That's how I controlled how much I ate - used the mandoline slicer to slice ONE potato, then washed the slicer and put it away, put the bag of potatoes back in the cool cupboard - so it wasn't tempting to make another, plus really, the one I DID eat was very satisfying. Next time I might even try some other flavors, like with onion powder or chile powder or something.

Kissa 07-24-2013 03:07 PM

I think the washing it and putting it away is a stroke of genius.

tofucheez 07-24-2013 06:28 PM

Try them with malt salt.....it's malt vinegar flavored salt. Sprinkle them with that and they taste like salt n vinegar chips without the wetness of the vinegar....so yum.

grannysmith 07-25-2013 03:20 PM

I just recently got one of the Mastrad silicone microwave potato chip sets...my-oh-my, i'm a happy girl...though i went overboard on the salt at first, still tweaking. I want to try brining some, maybe with vinegar. I always crave crunchy, don't know what that is about, but you get a LOT of chips from one potato, and no fat!

Charski 07-25-2013 05:07 PM

That's what I have too, Lynn - it works quite nicely and yes, one smallish potato made a LOT of very thin slices!

I'd like to try that malt salt - man that sounds good.

Librarygirl 07-25-2013 06:01 PM

:yummy:I need some malt salt too!! And the silicone chip set.:yummy: I see DD PH's in my future...

Charski 07-27-2013 11:25 AM

I made these last night for DH to try. I used 3 smallish russet potatoes, sliced as thin as the blade on my Oxo mandoline goes, had 2 full pans in the oven and the rest I did in the microwave on those chip trays. We both actually like the microwave ones a bit better! Which is a pain because those 2 little trays don't hold a lot.

DH loved them too.