Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Fluffy_Bunny
Stats: 220/184.8/160 5'7"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: July 9, 2013
Friendly reminder to myself (and you too!)

So, I've been JUDDD'ing for a week and a half. I'm doing great so far and sticking to my rotations. DD's are finally a piece of cake and UD's are sensational!

I started exercising from the start doing 40 minutes walking for 6 days in my first week. I ended up feeling so good I decided to go right into a more intensive workout program. Shorter more explosive workouts are totally kicking my butt and my muscles are SORE because they haven't been properly worked in so long.

Well, after seeing my scale weight fall a lovely 5.4 pounds in week one of my fitness program, I decided to jump on the scale this morning several days before my next official weigh in (Tuesday the 23rd) to see if I could get a preview of what to expect. Imagine my shock and horror when the scale registered 2.8 pounds HIGHER than it did at my last weigh in.

I've stuck strictly to my rotations.....I haven't gone crazy on the calories .......and I've been busting my chops in the gym. Color me baffled!

Then I remembered.....

Quote:
Why the Scale Goes Up When You Start a New Workout Plan

By Chalene Johnson

Probably the most common question I get when I release a new exercise program is, "Help! I'm gaining weight! Am I doing something wrong?" This is a common phenomenon with any new exercise program, such as Turbo Kick, Turbo Jam, Hip Hop Hustle, or others! It's especially common (and temporary) with intense strength training programs like ChaLEAN Extreme or Tony Horton's P90X.

The motivation to start a new exercise program is almost always to lose weight. However, what most personal trainers know--and most at-home exercisers do not--is that a new exercise program often can cause an immediate (and temporary) increase on the scale. (Notice I didn't say weight gain! I'll explain.) This common increase in the scale is also the reason why perhaps millions of people start and then quickly quit their resolution to get fit.

The temporary weight gain explained:
When someone starts a new exercise program, they often experience muscle soreness. The more intense and "unfamiliar" the program, the more intense the muscle soreness. This soreness is most prevalent 24 to 48 hours after each workout. In the first few weeks of a new program, soreness is the body trying to "protect and defend" the effected or targeted tissue. Exercise physiologists refer to this as delayed-onset muscle soreness, or DOMS.

This type of soreness is thought to be caused by tissue breakdown or microscopic tears in muscle tissue. When this happens, the body protects the tissue. The muscle becomes inflamed and slightly swollen due to fluid retention. This temporary retention of fluid can result in a 3- to 4-pound weight gain within a few weeks of a new program. Keep in mind that muscle soreness is not necessarily a reflection of how hard you worked. In fact, some people feel no signs of muscle soreness, yet will experience the muscle protection mechanisms of water retention and slight swelling.

Most people are motivated enough to put up with this temporary muscle soreness. Yet, many, especially those who really need immediate weight loss to keep them motivated, become discouraged and quit!

When I worked with a group of 70 test participants during the development stages of ChaLEAN Extreme, this happened. Who was the most upset and discouraged? You guessed it... the women! I'm happy to report absolutely for every single woman (and man) in our group, the weight increase was temporary and never lasted more than two weeks before they started to see a major drop in the scale. However, these people had the advantage of working with someone who was able to explain to them why this was happening and assure them the weight would come off if they stuck to the nutrition plan and stayed true to the program.

If you follow a multi-phase exercise plan, such as ChaLEAN Extreme, keep in mind that when you start each phase, your body will be "in shock" again. Don't be surprised or discouraged if you experience a temporary gain on the scale the first week of each phase.

Reading this kept me from freaking out. I'm determined to lose weight and achieve my goal while exercising 6 days a week....even if it means stalls and gains on the way down. This is a great reminder of how when it comes to exercise sometimes you have to take a few steps back before you can make real progress.

I'm putting my blinders on and throwing my heart and soul into my workouts with the confidence that these extra pounds will soon fall off, taking another (hopefully large) handful with them.

Stay strong ladies and gents! And don't believe those rotten scales when you know you're doing the right things!
Fluffy_Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/155.4/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
It happens a lot on this board. We all need the reminder now and again. It's JUST water!!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:47 AM   #3
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Great post!!
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:17 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Happened to me this week, all gone now.

Good post, thanks Fluffy x
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:07 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kimmietoo
Stats: 350/269.2/??? 58 yo, hypothyroid age 8; menopausal
WOE: start JUDDD 01/24/13 at 310
Start Date: July 2009
Thank you, Fluffy!
Kimmietoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:42 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grammyw/kitties
Stats: I am 170.2
WOE: I am starting IF leaning towards locarb
Start Date: Starting Dec 20,2012
Thank you for the info
grammyw/kitties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:57 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Good reminder!
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:09 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
The scale is stupid & evil. You keep on keepin on, fluffy!!! WTG with the exercise program and rotation schedule!
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:31 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Thanks and you're welcome ladies! I feel so strongly about this. After my official weigh in tomorrow I'll be taking my official weight the morning of every 4th UD going forward so every 8 days and will not set foot on it in between those days.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Very good post. I'm avoiding exercise, though I'm *feeling* like taking up walking again. I think it's the renovation stress. Sigh.

Unrelated-- omg, your avi of the fluffy bunny KILLS ME every time I see it! Also, (don't have to answer) where in GA do you live? I used to live outside of Atlanta back in the 80's
S.
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:49 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorenkkg View Post
Very good post. I'm avoiding exercise, though I'm *feeling* like taking up walking again. I think it's the renovation stress. Sigh.

Unrelated-- omg, your avi of the fluffy bunny KILLS ME every time I see it! Also, (don't have to answer) where in GA do you live? I used to live outside of Atlanta back in the 80's
S.
Hi Sorenkkg! Thanks and even taking a walk ever now and again will really help to cut down on your stress. LOL @ Avatar comment. A lovely fellow JB named Keta gave it to me. It cracks me up as well. I live in Duluth which is just a bit north east of Atlanta (but I'm sure you knew that!). Which area were you in?