Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Curious - do you tell people about JUDDD? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/808241-curious-do-you-tell-people-about-juddd.html)

elphie124 07-18-2013 07:49 AM

Curious - do you tell people about JUDDD?

Right now I am the only one in my life that knows I'm doing JUDDD. Honestly, I'm not comfortable sharing this plan because I am worried about the reaction I'll get. Does anyone else feel this way? I know I can't keep it a secret forever but I dread sharing with those close to me. I don't think they'll get it and I'm pretty sure I'll get lectured about starving myself. My BF is out of town until August and my family lives out of state, so it's been a breeze keeping it to myself so far. That's not going to last forever though. Advice?

MintQ8 07-18-2013 07:55 AM

DH hears about it all the time! My Mum is Kissa - so that helps!

I tell people who I think may be interested (they're probably not!) - but I'll bee honest I always play up the health benefits. It's easier in the UK because 5:2 is so popular. Most people just don't think it can be done!

KeirasMom 07-18-2013 08:11 AM

I'm very open about it. If anyone seems interested, I tell them about it. If they don't, I keep my mouth shut. I'm not embarrassed about my WOE, and I don't really care if others think it's not healthy. DH did it with me for a while (has since had gastric bypass, so most days are DDs for him!). DH's stepsister and her new husband are doing it. My brother asked me for more information, though I don't think he's quite ready to try it. My coworker's boyfriend is dabbling with JUDDD/5:2. I think success speaks volumes.

elphie124 07-18-2013 08:30 AM

Thanks! I think (know) I worry way too much about what other people think. I don't really plan on telling casual friends or co-workers, but definitely close friends/family when it comes up. I just hope I can be confident in the telling and not defensive, ya know?

Goner 07-18-2013 08:45 AM

My immediate family understand what I'm doing, but for casual observers I just say I'm counting calories. Unless someone is closer - or asks specific, then I explain the idea of it stressing the health benefits rather than the weight loss.

Sirtain 07-18-2013 09:07 AM

I don't tell people, but my Honey does, so some of our acquaintances know. Not my family or friends, though. I just don't want to hear any comments or see eyerolls. I figure after I lose the weight, that will be time enough to tell them.

People have started to notice I have lost eight, and I've managed to keep my response to a 'thank you, I've been working on it.' I think most of them think I am just doing better with my standard low-carb and not cheating so much (both true!).

Shortly after I started (about three weeks) I was on a Girl Scout camping trip and the subject came up because someone had watched Mosley's documentary. I did pipe up and say I was doing that. But I don't see those ladies very often, and not at all for the last two months, when my weight loss started being noticeable. It will be interesting when I see them in the fall again.

IO have a challenge coming up next month, when my mother-in-law will be visiting for two weeks. No way I'll be able to 'hide' it then, and two weeks is too long for me to take a break. So, I guess I will be coming out of the closet. :)

calichris 07-18-2013 09:22 AM

I didn't mention it to anyone but my immediate family for months ... not that I was worried about the reaction so much, but there just doesn't seem to be a need or a point to bringing it up. Now that I've had noticeable weight loss, if someone asks me what I did I am happy to tell them, but otherwise I still don't bring it up unless asked. Once in a while I mention it to explain why I'll have a cupcake on some days and not others. :)

You can always say something like, "I'm watching my calories" or even "I'm eating less every other day" if you don't want to get into the whole fasting discussion. It's hard now for me to relate to the "fasting is unhealthy" mindset or even "There's no way I could ever live on 500 calories!!!" :D

Putz 07-18-2013 09:24 AM

I have had issues with family members calling my "diet" retarded. Now, if asked, I simply refer to my "diet" as calorie cycling. That usually is enough.

laceylady 07-18-2013 09:36 AM

I tell people -- my coworkers know because they want to bring cake and stuff, or go out for lunch, and they always ask "up day or down day"? I think it's best if they know so I, too, can partake in the fun stuff. If they plan to bring something in on a DD, I say "that's fine -- I'll just have it the next day". When we go out of town to see my Dad it creates issues for me sticking to plan, but I'm getting better about that.

LoCarbGal 07-18-2013 09:40 AM

I also didn't tell anyone except for my immediate family for many months. Most people I know are used to me low carbing, so I just let them keep thinking that's what I was doing. Only in the last several months have I been telling my closest friends, but really it's only because I've lost so much and people are very interested in how I'm doing it. And unlike before when we go out to eat, I'm not staying strictly LC, so they want to know how come I'm getting smaller all the time while eating fries or dessert!

I find I let the info out in small amounts, and gauge whether they will be receptive or critical. I'm happy to share with people if they're truly curious, but if I think I'll get tons of argument about why it's bad, I just don't want to spend my valuable mental energy on that.

I told my dental hygienist just yesterday. She did give the standard "I don't know if I could do that" (I said that too, before I tried JUDDD!) but was very interested and not at all critical.

Fluffy_Bunny 07-18-2013 10:32 AM

I haven't told anyone. I work from home and I buy and prepare all my own food/meals. I have a roommate (who also happens to be my sister) and she's not watching what I do or don't eat. I'm sure when I drop all the fat I'll get tons of questions.

elphie124 07-18-2013 10:35 AM

Some great answers! Thanks everyone. I feel better already. :)

vanilla_latte 07-18-2013 11:52 AM

On a DD just say you're not very hungry. That'll keep the plethora of questions and wary looks at bay. :laugh:

sorenkkg 07-18-2013 11:57 AM

I'm like everyone else-- I'll go into full detail on the plan and the health benefits and how easy it is... if they seem to want to hear it.

Usually, I just say, I'm watching calories. Today is a lower-calorie-day. Like that.

I've never had any issues, except with my one super crazy fascist friend :p

LiLi914 07-18-2013 12:20 PM

I also didn't tell anyone when I began except for my boyfriend and three co-workers, one of which has been working JUDDD for over a year now and has had great success with it. She was extremely supportive and continues to be, as well as the other two co-workers.

I'm close to my family, but I just did not feel comfortable discussing this WOE with them and I still have not discussed it with them. They're great, but judgmental.

About two months ago, I told a few friends and they have been very supportive. They live out of state and check in frequently with me. It did take me several months to feel comfortable with bringing it up and now when they ask I educate them on it.

I completely understand how you're feeling now, but if you can find a person that you feel might be supportive of you and this WOE I would suggest that you let them be there for you.

For now, this is a fantastic community of supportive people who i hope you will find you can relate to.

Anonymousity 07-18-2013 06:21 PM

I just say I'm calorie cycling as well. I hate having people assume I'll go into starvation mode after one day of calorie restriction, so I prefer to not get into the details! (Especially when I've seen misinformation out there about needing to eat every couple of hours or you'll go into starvation mode!)

Carly 07-18-2013 06:32 PM

I just tell people I've been watching calories or counting calories. Other people who insist on an answer I say google the alternate diet by dr. Johnson. I have 4 co workers who are now JUDDDing and DW too. I guess I'm leading by example.

AndyBFK 07-18-2013 06:58 PM

I tell everyone and anyone.... If they ask. And since everyone who knows me knows I'm always on some sort of diet, it comes up all the time. I'm excited about JUDDD and I'm so used to judgments I don't care how someone else feels about what I'm doing. ironically, however, I rarely get a negative response. I think because this is essentially centered around something everyone understands and associates with losing weight an dieting, calorie counting, it's more acceptable. Now Atkins, despite it's once popularity, brought on ALL kinds of comments from friends and from family That became way too much for me.

Kismet311 07-18-2013 07:01 PM

I tell people I count calories. At work they still haven't figured out why on some days I will eat celery for lunch and some days chocolate and pizza LOL Let them figure it out themselves :p

pooticus 07-18-2013 08:34 PM

Yes I tell them about this lifesaving, miracle diet that has the power to turn on my repair genes and to help me put the fire out on inflammation. I tell them I believe this way of eating helped me eat multiply the effectiveness of the chemo and radiation while protecting my healthy cells. And I even told my oncologist about it. He said keep doing it! He's all on board with it.

To me, it's not about the weight loss. But obviously, the weight loss is a fringe benefit! It's all about the healing. The healing!!! :D (Can you tell I'm excited?) :D

piglet513 07-18-2013 09:02 PM

Today was the day that I had to tell my mom. She's always been a VERY judgmental person. She tried very hard, but she was worried about the 400 calorie days. I wish I'd read my book before I had to tell her. I just it today. Sigh... I'm going to have to remember to bring it up again after I read it this weekend.

elphie124 07-19-2013 05:50 AM

Quote:

Yes I tell them about this lifesaving, miracle diet that has the power to turn on my repair genes and to help me put the fire out on inflammation. I tell them I believe this way of eating helped me eat multiply the effectiveness of the chemo and radiation while protecting my healthy cells. And I even told my oncologist about it. He said keep doing it! He's all on board with it.
Wow! Good for you!

Librarygirl 07-19-2013 05:58 AM

I have told a lot of people, even strangers, lol. I feel like everyone should know about it. ;) I see people's eyes glaze over sometimes. :D I have had only a couple of people say anything negative.

reptogirl 07-20-2013 12:32 AM

The only people in my life that knows is my mom and sister , I have been able to keep my secret for over 2 months from my best friend-only because I know she will go out of her way to take me out to eat etc...hard right now because best friend is staying a week with , so I can't really be on plan right now, been trying to be " decent" also if someone happens to tell me sometime that it looks like I have lost weight I want it to be truthful and not a hey I better say something nice.

elphie124 07-22-2013 05:39 AM

I had to come back and update! I am very pleased to report that I told BF (I stink at keeping secrets) and his response was "As long as it's healthy and it's giving you the results that you want, then I support you". Is he a keeper or what?! :love: I feel relieved that he knows. It makes it so much easier! woohoo!

Monkeypenny 07-22-2013 05:56 AM

Wonderful reaction, wonderful boyfriend! :up: Great!

Flossyliz 07-22-2013 05:57 AM

Great BF, elphie! :high5:

I told DH early on and he's been very supportive. :love:

People now comment that I've lost a lot of weight and tentatively ask if it was by intention. If they ask me how, I tell them that I eat very little one day, then normally the next day. I briefly list some of the major health benefits and then direct them to Dr Johnson's site.

Otherwise I try to avoid talking about it - my GF has ruined many a lunchtime gathering, by dominating the conversation with detailed descriptions of her latest diet. :annoyed:

elphie124 07-22-2013 05:59 AM

Quote:

Otherwise I try to avoid talking about diets - my GF has ruined many a lunchtime gathering, by dominating the conversation with detailed descriptions of her latest fad WOE
I avoid it too - for the same reason! Ha!