Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AndyBFK
Stats: 321/309/220 (JUDDD 2013) 325/313/225 (JUDDD 2014)
WOE: JUDDD/LC
Start Date: JUDDD 04/01/13 & again on 03/24/14
anyone here suffer with Celiac or Gluten Intolerant

I have suspected for sometime now that I have issues with Gluten and I am finally going to see a doctor about it. I know its a big hyped up thing right now, but, I actually discovered this years ago and basically ignored it beacuse I really did not want it to be true. But I have had some episodes over the last 3 months, really right after starting JUDDD, that I think are indicating at least a Gluten Intolerance. I don't think they are JUDDD related symptoms, as I have had these issues ongoing for years, but I do find it interesting that these symptoms seemed to intensify lately. I've been keeping a journal of how I'm feeling to take to the doctors appointment with me. And I have been doing a TON of research lately. One interesting point I found was Celiac disease and the relation to weight. For a long time, conventional wisdom told us that a symptom of celiac disease was unexplained weightloss. I think I used that to convince myself for years that what I was experiancing was something else and not a gluten intolerance (even though the dr's never could tell me what it was other than possibly "poor diet".) But there is a lot of informaiton and studies out there, once you really start researching that indicate celiac can actually lead to weight GAIN and an inability to lose weight. It's not as prevalent as being underweight, but I think I read that they are now seeing that it could impact up to 35% of the people with celiac disease. I hate to allow myself to use that as an excuse of why I'm not losing weight. I posted a LONG thesis on why I think I didn't loose any weight with JUDDD for a month. But I'm coming on 6 weeks now with no weightloss. And this a common theme for every diet I'm on. No matter how well I stick to it, or how I tweak it, I always hit a weightloss stall. Always. Anyways, I'm really not going to the doctor for weightloss. It's all the other symptoms I regularly suffer from, I just thought you had to be thin to be gluten intolerant.

May be TMI, but here's what I've noticed and why I think I may have some issue with this-

Excessive bloating. I mean excessive. Like, looking like I'm pregnant kind of excessive. Feeling, literally, like I will burst at any moment and NOT being the result of overeating. According to my food journals, the worst happened after I ate both gluten (carbohydrates) and soy (horrible reaction after I ate Boca crumbles a few nights ago).

Diarrhea- Not going to get into it, but let's just say there are some specific symptoms associated with Celiac and they could've made the mold with me. I've brushed it off, as has my primary care doc, as probably just due to poor diet at times. But, i shouldn't have ignored it.

Cramping- severe abdominal cramping and pain after eating. I thought I was suffering through bouts of food poisioning, but now it's happening at least once a week. That can't be bad food that often.

GERD- THis was interesting to me. There is research that states that GERD could be caused by gluten intolerance (or vice versa). I was diagnosed when I was just 14 years old. It does run in my family. But my reactions are nothing like the rest of my family. I don't react to the usual suspects. Carbohydrate rich foods are my biggest trigger. In fact, when I'm doing an Atkins type diet, I don't ever take any of my medicine despite the high fat content of the food I'm eating. I do have some normal triggers (Juices are the worst) but I do find this interesting.

Lactose Intolerance- I read that children who are lactose intolerant usually are also gluten intolerant or become GI. I was Lactose Intolerant as a child. I grew out of it by 5 or 6, but it could be another connection.

Hair loss- Here's the scary one. I've noticed over the last few months an increase in hair loss. I have ridicuously thick hair, so it's not noticable to anyone. But I've noticed more and more comes out in the shower. I'm worried this is a sign of some sort of malnutrition (since I'm not like balding in a particular spot which is what happens if your going bald, this is all over). I haven't said anything here about this, but I was worried it was JUDDD since it started right after I started this diet. But, I don't think it is as I try to eat really balanced. If I am celiac, my body would not be able to absorb nurtients no matter what diet I was on.

Low Vitamin D levels- again, this could be a coincidence, but I've been put on perscription D twice now for low levels

General Fatigue and brain fog- especially after I eat. And again, looking at my food jounrals it's the most intense after a high carbohydrate meal. I realize almost anyone could say this, but, I have had some episodes where I literally felt immobile for hours.

I was just wondering if anyone here deals with this and if so, have you had similar symptoms? They say not to reduce gluten from your diet before you are checked (they want it in your system for the testing) but I have taken gluten out in the past, for short periods of time, and I can tell you I noticed a difference in as little as 24 hours. I just remember how miserable I was, and I know that what has stopped me before from dealing with this is just not wanting this to be true. But after the last week in which I had three really bad episodes, I know I need to do something. Also my DH has IBS and I know the two are closely related. So if it does turn out, the new WOE will benefit us both.
AndyBFK is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
I hope you get some definitive answers Andy. It sounds absolutely miserable. I have a cousin who is celiac, and she lost weight, but has always been a skinny little thing anyway. She's well controlled on her new eating plan and feeling good again.

If it does turn out to be celiac or GI, I'm sure just knowing how badly those foods make you feel will outweigh any longings for them. Monica (zipp2play) is celiac, so maybe she'll pop in to tell you how she handles it. And I think she has tons of good gluten free recipes.

Good luck! When do you see the doctor?

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:20 PM   #3

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/187/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
Carol is right, I'm zipp2play

I have Celiac disease. The thing about Celiac, is it can affect each person differently. A lot of people have GI bloat/and Diarrhea others don't. Some have the horrible cramping, some don't. Heck I even know a person who has none of the tummy issues, just the RASH! Me, I get the horrible cramping and then Horrific Fatigue. I mean, for 72 hours after an accidental glutening, I can barely function I am so tried. I rarely get glutened anymore, I am very careful. I have been GF since 2005.

You are correct. If you want/need to be tested, do NOT eliminate gluten till after testing. If you care to test. If you know, from the past, that you do better without gluten....why bother waiting a month or so to get tested? Heck I wouldn't. You couldn't pay me to eat Gluten now, for anything! I do wish you luck. Some DR's think it is all in a person's mind, but it is very real. I hope you find the answers you are looking for!

Monica -Come see my journey!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Carol and Monica!!!

Like I said I have suspected this for a while, but, for me, without a diagnosis or someone to push me I'm afraid I'll make excuses and live with the symptoms forever. I really do need to get down to what is making me feel this way.

I forgot to mention I also have an interesting rash. My dermatologist biopsied it, making me think it was cancer. It wasn't but the pathology didn't really have a clear answer as to what it was. I did read up a little bit about the dermatitis that accompanies this and by looks, mine looks extremely similar. I've now had a derm tell me it is one thing, and a doctor tell me it is something else, but neither really knows.

I hope my doctor takes this seriously this time (by the way, with my work schedule out of town so much, I couldn't get in to see her for 3 weeks! ) I've brought up some of these issues before and she seemed to blow some of it off a little bit. That's why I've taken to journal everything (there are other things I haven't even listed here) and monitor my food to see when I might have reactions. I think the scary thing that has really got me is the hair loss lately. That I know is a sign that something has to be wrong.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #5
GME

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/199/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/LC/Gluten Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Don't be surprised if the doctor doesn't "find" anything. My son and I both have gluten intolerance. Mine manifests as skin and digestive issues. His as asthma. We both had MULTIPLE doctors treat each issue unsuccessfully in a variety of ways without ever a mention it might be something we were eating.

The best way to diagnose an allergy or intolerance is with an elimination diet. The treatment is not to eat the stuff anymore. You do those things on your own.

It certainly can't hurt to visit the doctor, but you have to take control of your own health and well-being.

7/27/14- Wharf to Wharf (6 miles)- I won! 9/14/14- Title 9K- I won! 11/9/14- Surfer's Path 10K- I won! 12/7/14- Jinglebell Rock 5K- I won!
2/7/15 - Together Love Run 5K, 3/22/15- She is Beautiful 10K, 4/12/15- Santa Cruz Half Marathon

*My definition of win: I didn't quit, didn't throw up, and they didn't close the course on me.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: handbells
Stats: too much/not enough/just right
Start Date: today!
I have not been diagnosed, but I do think I have a problem with gluten. I kept noticing that after I would eat something (like a burger, a bagel, and the like), I felt painfully bloated. It would feel like I had a rock in my stomach too. Occasionally I would have diarrhea too. Three weeks ago I stopped eating bread/bread type foods. Two weeks ago I stopped eating all grains. I feel fantastic!

Good luck with figuring out the problem and getting it fixed!
handbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:18 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
I hope that you have a productive chat with your doctor.

At the same time as you discuss coeliac diseases or gluten intolerance, I wonder if it might be worth you talking about FODMAPs and fructose malabsorption? Issues with both are common (in the US, there are estimates that it affects 30% of adults for the latter).
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Op, I do hope you get some answers as to what's plaguing you and start to feel better quickly!!! Please keep us updated. As I have mentioned before, I have had issues of late and am trying to pay particular attention to things I eat and how I feel afterwards. I suspect FODMAPs for myself, but really, nothing would surprise me at this point. When you aren't feeling well you just want it to stop!
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:51 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Agee
Stats: fat pants/not fat pants/skinny pants
WOE: basic LC
Start Date: 12/3/14
Yes, and yes. My symptoms were very similar to yours when I self-diagnosed plus I had extreme wheat cravings and urges to binge when it all amped up.
I figured it out based on my "interesting rash" - in my case on my rear ends, sides of hands, and sides of feet.
I've been gluten free for almost 10 years now! No dr. diagnosis - I saw my doctor after I'd been off it 6 months and she said to get medically diagnosed I'd need to eat it again, and she recommended against it.
I felt better after 3 days, ate gluten free and casein free for a year (went back on dairy after that 1st year), and have felt 90% better for the past 10 years.
A
Agee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:33 AM   #10

Did you specifically ask your Derm if it could be Dermatitis Herpetiformis due to Celiac? Somehow I thought they could specifically test for that. I could be wrong. In 2007 I went on a vacation with my DH to Mexico. I was still fairly new to it all and didn't want to "inconvenience" the resort staff with my dietary issues. I ate what I "knew" was gluten free. Well, I relied heavily on chips/guac and such. I was feeling horribly tired, last day one of the staff mentioned thier chips are made from Tortillas, NOT corn! Upon returning home I developed a rash, it spread over the "trunk" of my body. It took 4 months to go away....it was Dermatitis Herpetiformis! I will never fear or think it's an inconvenience to mention it whereever I go. Now, It is something we mention AS we book it, NOT after it's booked. IF they can't accomodate, we don't go!
Old 07-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp2play View Post
Did you specifically ask your Derm if it could be Dermatitis Herpetiformis due to Celiac?
You know I didn't, as I did not know about it at the time, and wasn't really accepting that my other issues were gluten related then. You can biopsy for it, but from my research, you biopsy the skin around the rash or bump not the bump itself. They removed one of my bumps, but not any skin around it. So, I don't know if that's why, or because they weren't testing for that. Who knows. My rash is a cluster of about 10 red raised bumps on the tops of my shin near my ankle. Visually it has many characteristics of Herpetiformis and to my eyes, NONE of what my doctor said it is (stasis dermatitis), or what another said it was keloids (scars) or what the derm said it is (lichen planus). It's just a big mystery. My derm biopsied it for a type of cancer that effects gay men with AIDS. So, being that I am female and most definitely not a gay man with AIDS, I have about as much faith in this dermatologist as you can imagine. The pathology didn't really indicate anything. So no one knows. But it's very interesting to me how closely it resembles this and how similar the symptoms seem. I know the placement of it is not usually where you find this, but I have found cases where it occurs where mine is.

I've been to so many doctors this year for so many different conditions, spent THOUSANDS of dollars out of pocket, and none of my conditions are healed or even any better. It's like they are all just guessing and throwing "treatments" and medications at you, but, not really figuring out the real problems (not just the rash, I've had a host of other issues). I sincerely hope my appointment about my gastro issues aren't treated the same way, but it sounds like from some you, and what I've read, it could.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #12
GME

I had surgery on my achilles in January. I developed a rash around the surgery site, as well as other parts of my body, that I chased around with the typical OTC tratments. When that didn't work I went back to my surgeon who appeared fairly concerned and said "That is a full body autoimmune response" and referred me to a "top" dermatologist.

He spent 10 seconds looking at the surgical site, less at only one of the five other places I had the rash and decided they were all unrelated, I must have a new soap I couldn't remember and tossed me a script for hydrocortisone on the way out the door. He had no interst in getting to the bottom of my problem (which I still have, but has improved).

He could have done several kinds of laser treatments and chemical peels according to the pamphlets in the waiting room though.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #13

Like I said, a bunch of DR's dismiss Celiac or Gluten issues. I do not know why American DR's are so behind with this. I suffered horribly for MONTHS!!!!! Was sick all the time. I stumbled upon an article that described me exactly. I haven't been able to wear lipstick in years, I got to where having a tummy ache was my NORM and the fatigue, oh it was enough to sideline me from all my children's activities! In 2005 my DR said, I think it's Celiac. I took that and ran.....I have never felt this good. If I accidentally get glutened, I SUFFER! My house isn't GF, just me! We don't eat out often as it is difficult. My DH is a great cook. He combs the internet for recipes to my favorite stuff. It truly is easier than you would think to go GF, especially NOW! So many GF options, when I started there were NONE! The first week I ate Corn Chips and M&M's with MEAT! I also gained 10 pounds, NO KIDDING, right???

I wish you luck. I hope you can get a diagnosis, Celiac is tough to get a positive, EVEN if you are Celiac!
Old 07-20-2013, 06:37 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Familyvet
Stats: 230/200/<160 5'8" 44yo
WOE: Atkins on and off for years, JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD 2/20/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
Don't be surprised if the doctor doesn't "find" anything. My son and I both have gluten intolerance. Mine manifests as skin and digestive issues. His as asthma. We both had MULTIPLE doctors treat each issue unsuccessfully in a variety of ways without ever a mention it might be something we were eating.

The best way to diagnose an allergy or intolerance is with an elimination diet. The treatment is not to eat the stuff anymore. You do those things on your own.

It certainly can't hurt to visit the doctor, but you have to take control of your own health and well-being.

There is more going on here than meets the eye, I believe. Is there some "payoff" to remaining ill? Possibly a skeptical husband that needs to be convinced by a doctor? I am unable to multiquote this message because I am not technologically advanced enough. However I am amazed at the number of times you referred to being blown off by your doctor. I am assuming that she spends 5-10 minutes with you and moves on. You appear to be, by your posts, an extremely intelligent, articulate person. You do NOT need a diagnosis by an MD to do an elimination diet!

I am not a human doctor (and cannot give medical advice to humans) but I can tell you that in dogs that is the ONLY way I ever make a diagnosis of food intolerance. I instruct the owner to feed the dog a prescription dog food only for 12 weeks and if there is a remission of signs, we assume food intolerance and keep the dog on the special food. A test does exist, but it is very expensive and inaccurate.

One of my colleagues used JJ Virgin's Book "The Virgin Diet" during her elimination trial. She discovered that she is intolerent to gluten and dairy. Her signs were very mild, but she would never go back, I promise you. She lost 40 lbs in 3 months, as well. I would encourage you to take this book, or a similar plan and ask your doctor if she thinks it would be appropriate for you to try.

I wish you the best. I'm sure what you are experiencing is miserable!
John 3:16
I am a WHOSOEVER!!!!
Familyvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:08 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

I apologize if my last post came off as harsh. That was certainly not my intention! I truly wish you the best of luck and I know that you are on the right track to finding the answer to good health!
Old 07-20-2013, 07:30 AM   #16

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyvet View Post
I apologize if my last post came off as harsh. That was certainly not my intention! I truly wish you the best of luck and I know that you are on the right track to finding the answer to good health!
I didn't see it as harsh at all. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Keira and I did a gluten elimination diet for about a week, then did an at-home assessment with a pulse test (google if you're interested, as I don't have much time right now). Anyway, we figured out that we are not intolerant to gluten or dairy during this time, and it was great.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:19 AM   #17

Quote:
I didn't think you came off as harsh either, FV. You are very good to share the knowledge you have, and I always love reading your posts.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #18

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:

One of my colleagues used JJ Virgin's Book "The Virgin Diet" during her elimination trial. She discovered that she is intolerent to gluten and dairy. Her signs were very mild, but she would never go back, I promise you. She lost 40 lbs in 3 months, as well. I would encourage you to take this book, or a similar plan and ask your doctor if she thinks it would be appropriate for you to try.

Her book was featured on my local pbs station when they were fundraising. I took notes! Perhaps pbs has a clip of that show. She has you eliminate 7 foods--the most notorious ones for causing issues.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:13 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
No, not harsh at all. In fact your post pretty much hit the nail on the head. I have a ridiculously skeptical husband who absolutely won't put any credence into anything unless the doctor says so. He's so annoyingly stubborn like that. We share the same doc, and he thinks she walks on water, so whatever she says, or doesn't say, is like gold to him. When I first brought this up to him, that was the immediate response I got. He's very supportive of my weightloss efforts, but, when it comes to any medical condition I deal with, he only cares what the doc says. Part of that is up until this year, I rarely, if ever, went to a doctor. I mean maybe once a year for YEARS. That's why I have a host of other issues I am just now dealing with. So part of it with him is an initial gut reaction to tell me to stop WebMD-ing everything and thinking that makes me a doctor and means I don't have to go to an actual doctor.

The other issue, is some family members who, made some comments that I guess made me a little self-conscious. I mentioned I took Gluten out once, albeit very briefly only a few weeks. But I noticed immediately a reduction (not elimination) in some of my symptoms. Anyways, at the time I was around family a lot, so of course, what I was and wasn't eating came up, and I got a lot of negative responses in how going gluten free was such a fad, and so popular, kind of insinuating I was going along with the crowd. That's just a silly insecurtiy thing, but, yeah, I guess if I had an actual diagnosis I wouldn't feel a little insecure when those comments arise.

And I think the other reason, is that I am afraid I may not take it seriously without the doc telling me I need to do this. I won't go into all the emotional eating aspects of this, but, let's just say there are emotional issues and fear involved. And despite how horrible I feel, I am the type of person that needs a real kick in the a$$ sometimes to make a big change.

It's funny, my pups are gluten free. I have one dog with serious food allergies and the vet gave us the option of allergy tests. But, what did we do? We did an elimination diet and found out poultry and gluten were the primary drivers of her reactions. Hm, I guess I could've taken that as a clue for myself.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Oh and also, thanks all for the book suggestion. I will order it on my Kindle today!
Old 07-22-2013, 09:18 PM   #21
GME

There are labs that will test food allergies/intolerances by mail. They send you a card and you prick your finger and put drops of blood in little spots. They test your blood for antibodies to certain foods.

Quite a bit of information comes with the results. Mine talked about a histamine reaction vs an immune response. A histamine reaction is what people are used to- swelling, rash, etc. An immune response can be a lot of other things- inflammation, non-localized pain and a myriad of other things. Intolerance (like lactose intolerance) is usually digestive.

I had mine done through US Biotek. My doctor ordered it, but I think you can do it on your own.

How about you go to the doctor with a list of symptoms, tell her you think they may be related to something you are eating and ask her advice. If she doesn't bring it up, try an innocent "you know we did an elimination diet on my dog, do you think that would work?" Yes, it is stupid to play games but it sounds like you are in a difficult situation.

My family jokes about how I have "the most popular allergy" but they are supportive and are not making fun at all. My poor mom feels terrible because I complained constantly about stomach aches as a kid. She took me to several doctors who told her everything from I was eating too many pickles to I was making it up for attention. Wheat is in so many things I imagine she couldn't have made the connection.

Last edited by GME; 07-22-2013 at 09:21 PM..
Old 07-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
I think I am gluten intolerant. I have low vitamin D that doesn't seem to get better with heavy supplementation. My magnesium was also middle of the range, but I supplement 400mg every day. Vitamin B through the roof, but I had just taken a liquid supplement that day because I felt so fatigued, so who knows. Celiac tests always come back negative.

I have gas/bloating/stomach pains a lot and that has been a LOT better since going GF. I also have nerve pain in my left shoulder and hip/butt and that was GREATLY reduced after going GF. So, evern if I'm not truly gluten intolerant or Celiac, I've felt better being GF and that is enough for me to keep going. It really helps me say no to a lot of my trigger foods too, which makes me think gluten is a trigger for me - which makes eliminating it all the better. I feel better when I eat meats, cheeses, fruit, and veggies. Sometimes I will through some brown rice pasta, corn tortillas, almond flour bread (paleo), or Udi's products (rare) in the mix because I want something like that, but mostly, I just stay basic.

My Dr recently ordered a CT scan of my abdomen and referred me to a gastro dr. However, I just found out I'm pregnant...so no scan for now!
Old 07-23-2013, 11:49 AM   #23

Congratulations DD! How exciting!

It's great that, even though you don't have a diagnosis, you have found a way to avoid some of that discomfort.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
Congratulations DD! How exciting!

It's great that, even though you don't have a diagnosis, you have found a way to avoid some of that discomfort.
Thanks! It's strange since I was never one to want kids, but I had a "scare" last month and actually (for the first time ever) thought, hey it wouldn't be bad if I was. So, my husband and I talked about it and decided to not try but not prevent...3 weeks later....
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #25

Sounds like it was meant to be. Congratulations!!
Old 07-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Congrats DD! How exciting!

Andy, I am sorry that you are going through all of this. I have a totally different opinion of doctors than you do. I am a veterinarian and my dad and sister are human doctors. I have a great deal of respect for Western medicine, however, I am also aware that it is very limited in a lot of cases.

In the last 20 years since GMO's have entered our food supply, intolerance to foods containing them, with wheat/gluten being one of the worst offenders, has skyrocketed. I believe the more exposure we have to these products, the more intolerance we will see. Hopefully these will at some point be regulated, but until then, all we can do is avoid them if they give us issues and protect ourselves.

Off the subject, my father is an MD. He wanted me to have a scheduled C-section and was incensed that I breastfed. I had my daughter vaginally (with an epidural) and breastfed her for almost a year. My sister is an OB/GYN. Both of her children were scheduled C-sections and if she nursed her children, it was for a very short period of time. My OB at the time did not try to push me either way, but there was no way I was letting them cut me open for no reason. I also believe that we were made to breastfeed and that is what I did for as long as I possibly could. There are many exceptions to both of these scenarios and reasons why C-sections and formula-feeding are necessary, but in my case I made educated decisions, which I believe were the right ones for me and my child. My father would not even come to the hospital until my daughter was already born because he thought vaginal childbirth was so dangerous. And he's delivered loads of healthy babies over his career.

The point I am trying to make is that often have to take charge of our own healthcare. No one will ever know your body like you do. My patients can't tell me what is wrong with them and half the time our doctors don't even listen to what we say! I strongly encourage your well-being into your own hands since you are the one having to suffer, not anyone else. It is really no one else's business what you are eating. I would say something like "I am doing what I feel is best for me", and end the discussion. Or lie and say your doctor told you to eliminate gluten!
Old 07-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Congrats DD! How exciting!

Andy, I am sorry that you are going through all of this. I have a totally different opinion of doctors than you do. I am a veterinarian and my dad and sister are human doctors. I have a great deal of respect for Western medicine, however, I am also aware that it is very limited in a lot of cases.

In the last 20 years since GMO's have entered our food supply, intolerance to foods containing them, with wheat/gluten being one of the worst offenders, has skyrocketed. I believe the more exposure we have to these products, the more intolerance we will see. Hopefully these will at some point be regulated, but until then, all we can do is avoid them if they give us issues and protect ourselves.

Off the subject, my father is an MD. He wanted me to have a scheduled C-section and was incensed that I breastfed. I had my daughter vaginally (with an epidural) and breastfed her for almost a year. My sister is an OB/GYN. Both of her children were scheduled C-sections and if she nursed her children, it was for a very short period of time. My OB at the time did not try to push me either way, but there was no way I was letting them cut me open for no reason. I also believe that we were made to breastfeed and that is what I did for as long as I possibly could. There are many exceptions to both of these scenarios and reasons why C-sections and formula-feeding are necessary, but in my case I made educated decisions, which I believe were the right ones for me and my child. My father would not even come to the hospital until my daughter was already born because he thought vaginal childbirth was so dangerous. And he's delivered loads of healthy babies over his career.

The point I am trying to make is that often have to take charge of our own healthcare. No one will ever know your body like you do. My patients can't tell me what is wrong with them and half the time our doctors don't even listen to what we say! I strongly encourage your well-being into your own hands since you are the one having to suffer, not anyone else. It is really no one else's business what you are eating. I would say something like "I am doing what I feel is best for me", and end the discussion. Or lie and say your doctor told you to eliminate gluten!
Thank you (and Keirasmom ) for the congrats!

I wanted to agree with you on the above statements - do what you need to do to be healthy. Who cares if you have a "diagnosis?" If people think I'm crazy, then oh well, they don't live with my pain.

Funny you mention childbirth too - I would like to breast feed as much as possible (hopefully, I have no issues in that department), but I worry about delivery. Strange that your dad and sis are against it and vaginal births. I'm scared of childbirth - Like I told my husband yesterday, it was much easier getting it in there than it will be getting it out!
Old 07-24-2013, 12:39 PM   #28

How strange that so many Physicians would push for auto C-Section instead of vaginal. Heck, I had to have a c-section with my first and I pushed to make sure I could have a VBAC with my 2nd. My DR fully supported me on the VBAC!!

DD, congrats. So happy for you. As for birth, it isn't the best/funnest thing I have ever done, but well worth it. Actually the pain of birth is NOTHING compared to sitting in the car with my DS14 with his instructional learners permit! NOW, that is PAINFUL! perspective LOL
Old 07-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #29

I was given the option of having Keira vaginally or by C-Section. My OB left it up to me, but seemed to want to "schedule" her birth, so while he didn't push me one way or the other, I knew he'd rather I had her by C-Section. It ended up being a moot point because I had preeclampsia and she was so big and low that she couldn't be measured at my final growth scan. There was a real risk that she'd get stuck and suffer shoulder dystocia, plus with my preeclampsia, we decided to have the C-Section after all. She was nearly 3 weeks early and weighed 9 lbs, 2 oz. I'm tall, but fairly narrow in the hips, so I'm glad we went with the surgery, but I really wanted to have her at least semi-naturally. I hate to think how big she would have been if she had gone to full-term!

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
Old 07-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp2play View Post
How strange that so many Physicians would push for auto C-Section instead of vaginal. Heck, I had to have a c-section with my first and I pushed to make sure I could have a VBAC with my 2nd. My DR fully supported me on the VBAC!!

DD, congrats. So happy for you. As for birth, it isn't the best/funnest thing I have ever done, but well worth it. Actually the pain of birth is NOTHING compared to sitting in the car with my DS14 with his instructional learners permit! NOW, that is PAINFUL! perspective LOL
Thanks! It scares me, but like you said - perspective! A lot of things about raising a child scares me, so this is just one more on the list.

Dawn - that sounds scary! I worry about those things later on. I'm tall too, but I think I have pretty wide hips (child-bearin' hips), so I'm hoping it won't be an issue. I am scared about the baby being huge too...lol. My sister and I were small babies, but my mom is small (5'1"), so I hope it's not relative.

I'm going to the Dr today because I am going on a cruise in a week and am afraid something might go wrong and I'll be on a ship, so they are going to take some blood, maybe try for an ultrasound...maybe. I hope they do.

Sorry to hijack the thread! I was out of town this weekend and, try as I might, I think I might have gotten "glutened" because Sunday night and Monday might I had pretty bad nerve pain in all my bad spots. It slowly went away on Tuesday, so I assume that it is clearing from my system.