Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Quote from The Fast Diet (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/808022-quote-fast-diet.html)

calichris 07-14-2013 03:08 PM

Quote from The Fast Diet

I was on the library's wait list for months for The Fast Diet by Dr. Michael Mosely (if you aren't familiar, he's the one that popularized the 5:2 plan of intermittent fasting with his episode on the Horizon show in Great Britain called "Eat, Fast, and Live Longer." It's similar to JUDDD except there are two down days a week and up days are not calorie counted).

I finally got it, and read it quickly (it's short). There's not a lot of new stuff in the book for someone who's been reading this board for a long time, but he does a good job and I agree with almost everything he says. He really stresses making the plan fun and livable. I really liked this quote in particular:

(This is #11 in "A Dozen Ways to make the Fast Diet work for you")

"Be sensible, exercise caution, and if it feels wrong, stop. It's vital that this strategy should be practiced in a way that's flexible and forgiving. It's okay to break the rules if you need to. It's not a race to the finish, so be kind and make it fun. Who wants to live longer if it's in abject misery? You don't want to grunt and sweat under a weary life. You want to go dancing. Right?"

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m55t7nHmTp1qibfa1.gif

SlowSure 07-14-2013 03:13 PM

That's a super principle.

Your Happy Dance animations are the best! They're hugely enjoyable. :)

Mosely has just broadcast a good programme on how he followed a 7 week course to shift his default state of mind from pessimism to a more optimistic frame of mind.

KeirasMom 07-14-2013 03:50 PM

Makes me feel better about all my modifications and tweaks lately. :laugh: To the point of not even fasting, lol!

Kimmietoo 07-14-2013 04:30 PM

Excellent point, Chris!! Thanks!

SlowSure, love the new AVI! Very cute!

Dawn, look at that stats line! Wowzers!!!

Macci 07-14-2013 05:49 PM

Love it CaliChris, thank you! I will try to give that a read.

SlowSure, you tiny thing! Fabulous avi, you look lovely!

Flossyliz 07-15-2013 04:55 AM

:up: Cracking good quote Christina.
Thanks for sharing it. :)

LoCarbGal 07-15-2013 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calichris (Post 16514878)
"Be sensible, exercise caution, and if it feels wrong, stop. It's vital that this strategy should be practiced in a way that's flexible and forgiving. It's okay to break the rules if you need to. It's not a race to the finish, so be kind and make it fun. Who wants to live longer if it's in abject misery? You don't want to grunt and sweat under a weary life. You want to go dancing. Right?"

I always love the comment made about CRONing - "If it doesn't actually help you live longer, it will certainly make it seem like forever" or something to that effect.

Kissa 07-15-2013 01:47 PM

Christina...:goodpost: thanks for sharing. This is my philosophy.:D

dawnyama 07-15-2013 03:08 PM

Yes, thank you for sharing. I appreciate when folks share what they learn. It really helps us all in the long run.

calichris 07-16-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kissa (Post 16516266)
Christina...:goodpost: thanks for sharing. This is my philosophy.:D

I can see that it is, Cindy, and it's one of the things I love about you! (relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice). :) I remember your recent story about having wine with the neighbor on a down day ... making exceptions when it's important -- and having it not have a lasting negative impact -- is one of the things that makes this work. :clap:

pooticus 07-17-2013 07:55 PM

Chris I LOVE it! I think it's so important to understand that this is about quality of life and health. Right? And life should be about laughter and happiness, not every other day drudgery!! (or 2 days per week of drudgery)!!

Love Calvin & Hobbes by the way!!!!

Carol, love that saying!!

Great post y'all!!

zipp2play 07-18-2013 09:37 AM

Definitely WORDS to LIVE BY!