Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2013, 04:44 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cuttie99
Stats: 5'2 171
WOE: post hcg, lost 60lbs
Start Date: Juddd 4/30, restarted 11/30
can I skip the induction phase?

Hello everyone, I tried juddd last year and was not successful at it due to uuaad's. I went back to hcg, lost some weight and now am looking for juddd for maintence. I would still love to lose more wt but I would be happy just to be able to maintain my losses. doing 500 cal days are very difficult for me. Does anyone know if I just start off with 800 or 1000 cal days for my dd's Juddd will help me maintain?

HCG brings wt loss but the maintence is very hard. Tired of doing correction days everytime I have a nice treat...

What ever you are craving now will be there for you to eat when you are done losing weight!!
cuttie99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2013, 05:06 AM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Hey cuttie. You can do higher DDs, yes. A lot of people take some time to lower their DD calories. As for correction days, I guess you could say that is DDs lol. Google JUDDD calculator to find your numbers and maintenance DD calories.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:08 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Hi Cuttie. Welcome back.

JUDDD works because it triggers the Sirt1 gene, and that's what does the magic. The intermittent fasting is what triggers the gene and Dr Johnson discovered that we don't need to fast completely on DDs but can eat a small amount to have the same effect.

Coming from HCG, you will not have activated the sirtuins, which is the point of the JUDDD induction phase. You can certainly start on higher DDs, with the intention of lowering them but be aware that you will probably not be in maintainance mode until you've activated the sirt1, so be prepared to gain some weight before the JUDDD magic kicks in and it goes down again.

I suggest you read Dr Johnson's book The Alternate Day Diet. (You can get it cheap on Kindle.) It's much easier to stick to the program if you understand the WHY.

Also, have a look around this forum, especially the newbie thread, to read how people cope with DDs. The daily menu threads are a useful tool. Many people find DDs are easy if they don't eat at all till as late as possible. Others find they need breakfast. We're all different but the forum is full of advice and shared experience. One thing most of us have found is that it gets much easier!
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:31 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grammyw/kitties
Stats: I am 170.2
WOE: I am starting IF leaning towards locarb
Start Date: Starting Dec 20,2012
That SIRT 1 gene does not happen as fast with some people. If you are one as I am patience is the key.I am working at giving it time to come in. Most say that you will know when it happens...that is the magic
grammyw/kitties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:08 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jrudq
Stats: 165/146/135
WOE: 5:2 now JUDDD
Start Date: June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammyw/kitties View Post
That SIRT 1 gene does not happen as fast with some people. If you are one as I am patience is the key.I am working at giving it time to come in. Most say that you will know when it happens...that is the magic
Amen, sistah! I am actively, miserably, patiently, practicing patience right now! Gone from no exercise to daily, been really very good on my cals, bought the scale to weigh my food, logging, etc. And the scale has yet to move. I KNOW it will. Just be patient
jrudq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:12 AM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossyliz View Post
Hi Cuttie. Welcome back.

JUDDD works because it triggers the Sirt1 gene, and that's what does the magic. The intermittent fasting is what triggers the gene and Dr Johnson discovered that we don't need to fast completely on DDs but can eat a small amount to have the same effect.

Coming from HCG, you will not have activated the sirtuins, which is the point of the JUDDD induction phase. You can certainly start on higher DDs, with the intention of lowering them but be aware that you will probably not be in maintainance mode until you've activated the sirt1, so be prepared to gain some weight before the JUDDD magic kicks in and it goes down again.

I suggest you read Dr Johnson's book The Alternate Day Diet. (You can get it cheap on Kindle.) It's much easier to stick to the program if you understand the WHY.

Also, have a look around this forum, especially the newbie thread, to read how people cope with DDs. The daily menu threads are a useful tool. Many people find DDs are easy if they don't eat at all till as late as possible. Others find they need breakfast. We're all different but the forum is full of advice and shared experience. One thing most of us have found is that it gets much easier!

I think the 2 week induction is important and then you can move to maintenance levels.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:08 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
Hi Cuttie,

Congratulations on losing weight with HCG!

Was it the up days or the down days that were the challenge last time on JUDDD? or both?

I guess the answer to your 500 calorie question depends on what your goals are. You have options. I'm not sure how long ago your last round of HCG was, but it is 500 calories every day, right? So my understanding is that it is the fasting/VLC days that turn on the SIRT gene, so it seems as though HCG could have activated them as well? If you want to enhance your SIRTs without going as low in calories, I think supplementation with reservatrol or pterostilbene does this too. If you want to maintain, you could try the maintenance numbers on the calculator, or you could try fewer DDs a week, like 5:2 or 6:1. I hope some HCG alumni come along soon, because I'm not sure what is involved in transitioning from HCG to JUDDD for maintenance. I seem to remember that some HCGers had a bit of an adjustment period.

You also mentioned you might like to lose a little more, and if 500 cal DDs are difficult, you can try a higher percentage in the weight loss category. You have to find what works for you long term ... what you can realistically and happily stick with, and what that is varies from person to person.

Congratulations again on your loss.

Last edited by calichris; 07-13-2013 at 02:18 PM..
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrudq View Post
Amen, sistah! I am actively, miserably, patiently, practicing patience right now! Gone from no exercise to daily, been really very good on my cals, bought the scale to weigh my food, logging, etc. And the scale has yet to move. I KNOW it will. Just be patient
Yes! I second this ... it WILL. It's just that starting exercise can mask fat loss, because all we have is the scale, and it can't tell if you're retaining water and/or building heavier muscle at the same time as you are losing fat .... all it knows is total poundage. It's so flawed that way!

P.s. Cuttie if you want to post your current age/height/weight we might be able to help with some maintenance calorie ideas.

Last edited by calichris; 07-13-2013 at 02:26 PM..
Old 07-14-2013, 04:58 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by calichris View Post
Hi Cuttie,

I'm not sure how long ago your last round of HCG was, but it is 500 calories every day, right? So my understanding is that it is the fasting/VLC days that turn on the SIRT gene, so it seems as though HCG could have activated them as well?
Sorry. If that's true, my advice would not be as relevant.

I found this in Mike O'Donnell's ebook, 2 meal solution. It's a good summary:

What Happens When We Eat
First it makes sense to understand what is going on energy-wise when we eat and in-between meals. When we eat something, we enter what is known as the absorptive (fed) state. In this state we are digesting our food and utilizing the nutrients from it.
Most of our energy (mainly from glucose) can be coming from the food being digested and released into the bloodstream, while excess can also be stored (or used for other purposes such as rebuilding and repairing proteins), a process that is mitigated by insulin (the blood sugar hormone we talked about before).

What Happens When We Stop Eating
About 3-4 hours after we eat, we enter what is known as the postabsorbtive state, where insulin starts to drop. This is where energy used by the body starts coming form internal sources. The liver is a primary source of stored glycogen via glycogenolysis (instead of the muscles, unless they are engaged in activity). Also with insulin dropping (and blood sugar coming down) comes an increase in lipolysis (freeing up fats and using them for energy) and gluconeogensis (converting non-carbohydrate sources like glycerol and amino acids into glucose).
Levels of the lipolytic hormones such as glucagon, GH (growth hormone) and catecholamines are increased (as well as the sensitivity of the body to them), allowing more fats to be released.
The longer one goes without food (and insulin/blood sugar lowers), the more these processes increase. A perfect example is when we go to bed and sleep without eating during the night. Most of that time our liver is spent supplying our brain (which is a glucose hog) with glycogen and burning fats.

Short Intermittent Fasting can lead to More Fat Burning
To simply sum what you just read, having short periods of not eating (fasting) will start to increase lipolysis (the process of releasing fats). This is done with lowering insulin and increasing lipolytic hormones (such as glucagon, growth hormone and the catecholamines).
The fat cells get stronger messages and open up their doors. More free fatty acids (FFAs) means more chance for the body to take them to the muscles and burn them up as energy.
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:45 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossyliz View Post
I found this in Mike O'Donnell's ebook, 2 meal solution. It's a good summary:

What Happens When We Eat
First it makes sense to understand what is going on energy-wise when we eat and in-between meals. When we eat something, we enter what is known as the absorptive (fed) state. In this state we are digesting our food and utilizing the nutrients from it.
Most of our energy (mainly from glucose) can be coming from the food being digested and released into the bloodstream, while excess can also be stored (or used for other purposes such as rebuilding and repairing proteins), a process that is mitigated by insulin (the blood sugar hormone we talked about before).

What Happens When We Stop Eating
About 3-4 hours after we eat, we enter what is known as the postabsorbtive state, where insulin starts to drop. This is where energy used by the body starts coming form internal sources. The liver is a primary source of stored glycogen via glycogenolysis (instead of the muscles, unless they are engaged in activity). Also with insulin dropping (and blood sugar coming down) comes an increase in lipolysis (freeing up fats and using them for energy) and gluconeogensis (converting non-carbohydrate sources like glycerol and amino acids into glucose).
Levels of the lipolytic hormones such as glucagon, GH (growth hormone) and catecholamines are increased (as well as the sensitivity of the body to them), allowing more fats to be released.
The longer one goes without food (and insulin/blood sugar lowers), the more these processes increase. A perfect example is when we go to bed and sleep without eating during the night. Most of that time our liver is spent supplying our brain (which is a glucose hog) with glycogen and burning fats.

Short Intermittent Fasting can lead to More Fat Burning
To simply sum what you just read, having short periods of not eating (fasting) will start to increase lipolysis (the process of releasing fats). This is done with lowering insulin and increasing lipolytic hormones (such as glucagon, growth hormone and the catecholamines).
The fat cells get stronger messages and open up their doors. More free fatty acids (FFAs) means more chance for the body to take them to the muscles and burn them up as energy.
Interesting!

(p.s. I'm not sure about HCG and SIRTs either, just wondering ...)
Old 07-16-2013, 02:07 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cuttie99
Stats: 5'2 171
WOE: post hcg, lost 60lbs
Start Date: Juddd 4/30, restarted 11/30
Thank you all for your replys. I will start at 800 then decline to 500 or I might just eat the 500 cal menu I used for hcg. I am sick now so I will wait a bit before starting. Thank you!!!

Also interesting article on intermittent fasting! good to know t helps boost fat burning.
cuttie99 is offline   Reply With Quote