Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 11:09 AM   #1
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Potato Hack/JUDDD question!

Anybody have any experience or thoughts on having a jigger of Scotch (or other alcohol like vodka, rum etc.) on a potato down day?
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grammyw/kitties
Stats: I am 170.2
WOE: I am starting IF leaning towards locarb
Start Date: Starting Dec 20,2012
Is it potato vodka...lol...I really don't know but what if you didn't go over your calories???anyone???
grammyw/kitties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:29 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lanarkwitch
Stats: 343/197/178 40yo, 5'7"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: The mayans were still around
I had some vodkas on my potato week, and absolutely absurdly did not gain any weight back and actually continued to lose in the few days after stopping the PH, I just dunnno how that worked, and I'm not advocating it, just for info purposes.
Lanarkwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:43 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/114/115-120
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Context: I did a 28 day potato hack in March; I don't drink alcohol.

It depends to some extent what you believe the mechanism of action to be for the potato hack. Is it calorie restriction because eating the same food without the adornment of fat or sugar will automatically restrict the intake? Or, as some believe, is it something to do with manipulating your insulin levels in a helpful way? I don't know although I lean towards the calorie restriction argument.

However, it's a YMMV thing. If you have the drink/s at least 4 hrs away from a meal then you won't affect the glycaemic index/insulin index response of that meal - so it won't distort your hack. The diuretic impact of the alcohol might even lead to some water loss the next day, depending on how you react to it. To state the obvious, the calories from the alcohol must be burned away before you use any other calories as the body expresses a preference for it in order to get rid of the alcohol.

That said, I've no idea how tricky it is to drink alcohol on an empty stomach.

Last edited by SlowSure; 07-13-2013 at 02:45 AM..
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:34 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

I am not sure how PH works either Slow, but like you I veer towards the calorie restriction side of things, and I never realised how nutritionally sound potatoes were either. I lost almost 7lbs that week and felt absolutely great, I did it on the week before my 40th and then parties for a full week as my parents came to visit and even at the end of party week I was only up 2lbs or so, it definitely stayed off, although I would say I found losses in the subsequent weeks pretty difficult to find.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:35 AM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I am not really commenting on the orginal question, but Lanark, do you think the initial losses we experience from cal restriciton on regular DDs or PH are artificial and it in fact takes weeks to get the initial lows as "real" losses? I've found that it takes about a week to come back to my lowest each time I reach a new low. Why that is, I'm trying my best to ascertain.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:56 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I am not really commenting on the orginal question, but Lanark, do you think the initial losses we experience from cal restriciton on regular DDs or PH are artificial and it in fact takes weeks to get the initial lows as "real" losses? I've found that it takes about a week to come back to my lowest each time I reach a new low. Why that is, I'm trying my best to ascertain.
You know that very question is something I've really tried to get to the bottom of since starting with JUDDD, I had even written a database to analyse my numbers in every way imaginable! Long story short, yes I believe it takes some time for those losses to stick, I lost over 6lbs my first week of JUDDD and then almost nothing until week 4, where another 3lbs disappeared, then nothing again for 2 weeks then another 3lbs, however when I did 5pm-5pm fasts I found the weight loss was more linear and more predictable, not as chunky if you like and yielded almost the same results, in fact it would have probably been better if I had been more organised with what I was eating and tracking my calories.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:59 AM   #8
Gadget Gal

Well, to answer my own question - DH had a jigger of Scotch and I had about half a jigger of rum last night, it was NOT outside the 4 hour window of eating potatoes - and we both showed losses again this morning. So, no harm, no foul, apparently!

LOL about the potato vodka though....
Old 07-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/151/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
IIRC, the main thing is to not incorporate any fat or extra protein. My personal feeling would be that a shot of something wouldn't mess up the hack, but then again, I've been known to rationalize having a shot of this, and a shot of that, and a full glass of the other, several times during my weight loss.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanarkwitch View Post
You know that very question is something I've really tried to get to the bottom of since starting with JUDDD, I had even written a database to analyse my numbers in every way imaginable! Long story short, yes I believe it takes some time for those losses to stick, I lost over 6lbs my first week of JUDDD and then almost nothing until week 4, where another 3lbs disappeared, then nothing again for 2 weeks then another 3lbs, however when I did 5pm-5pm fasts I found the weight loss was more linear and more predictable, not as chunky if you like and yielded almost the same results, in fact it would have probably been better if I had been more organised with what I was eating and tracking my calories.
For me, the consequence of inconsistent losses is compounded by my lack of motivation when I see that I can't sustain even a one pound loss. So I say, I may as well have another UD (on the weekend, sometimes), I am not losing sticking to these strict rotations anyway. So then it's another month after I've buckled down again before I see a pound loss. Terrible rollercoaster.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #11
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
IIRC, the main thing is to not incorporate any fat or extra protein. My personal feeling would be that a shot of something wouldn't mess up the hack, but then again, I've been known to rationalize having a shot of this, and a shot of that, and a full glass of the other, several times during my weight loss.
That's kind of what I figured, Dawn. I know the body wants to burn alcohol first if it's available, so I knew it might slow down the loss of fat from the insulin utilization, but figured, eh, let's see what happens!
Old 07-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
good news on the WL char! sounds like you guys are having fun with this~
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:39 AM   #13
Gadget Gal

We are, Ouis, and it's funny that we both look FORWARD to the potato day! Thanks to all your great advice and encouragement, along with the rest of the wonderful LCFs here!
Old 07-18-2013, 09:25 PM   #14
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Wooohoooo Char!!!!!! xoxoxoxoxo!

I'm totally on board about the potato vodka on a potato hack day!

I think if it's not in excess, you will prolly be just fine. The problem I would have is alcohol lowers my inhibitions and seems to turn on the munchies! So I think it's a YMMV thing!

Congrats on the losses girl!!!!

Cindy sorry you have to go through that!!! It's a defeating feeling and I can relate! I think the thing that finally helped me was to know that the graph (although spiky) was definitely in a down trend. It also helped to do NSV's and to know that every successful DD is a healing day where IGF-1 is getting reduced along with so many other inflammatory hormones and pre-hormones! So it makes it easier. I just play mental games with myself.

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote