Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Why do you JUDDD? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/807572-why-do-you-juddd.html)

krave79 07-07-2013 04:45 PM

Why do you JUDDD?
 
I am just curious. I am currently Atkins-Induction, with my magical pee turning sticks colors.
My husband says I smell heavenly and he adores all the energy I no longer possess when it comes to housekeeping, getting out of bed for work, etc...

Having a helluva time with the side effects of ketosis. I have a note to self to call my physician in the morning. Until then, I have been reading up on different WOE. I have no interest in ever eating wheat or over indulging in refined sugars again.

So, eat what you want one day and eat 500 calories the next?

Why do you JUDDD?

:newbie:

Carly 07-07-2013 05:01 PM

It's changed my life. I'm very serious. I could not begin to list all the health benefits and the good it has done for my emotional well being, but if you click the link under where it says to see my before and after pictures I have recorded a great deal about my "Before and After". I have been judding for 16 months and imagine that I will do some form of juddd or 5:2 for life.

krave79 07-07-2013 05:08 PM

I haven't read anything...but OMG I cannot stop looking at those 2 photos! Congrats! I wish that were me :)

calichris 07-07-2013 05:28 PM

JUDDD is a WOE on which you have the calories it would take to maintain your weight one day, and very low calories the next (anywhere from 0 calories to 45% of your up day calories). Some of the things I love about this plan include:

1. You can have whatever you want on your up days, within your calorie allowance, which gives this plan long term livability (I will have been following this WOE for 1 year as of the 11th of this month and I still love it). You only diet every other day and can participate in any social event on your up days.

2. Intermittent fasting (the down days) has health benefits (see this thread: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ju...ting-cron.html)

3. It is extremely flexible. As long as you stay within your calories, you can do the plan however you want. It is forgiving of vacations and breaks. There's a range of calories on DDs that will still work for weight loss. It's the most livable plan I've ever found. I was hesitant to try it but so glad I did.

laceylady 07-07-2013 06:40 PM

I do it because I know it works. I did Atkins for over a year and did quite well, but missing the foods that have been a part of my life for many years lured me back down the bad path. I did the low fat/no fat which worked too, but the weight I lost just made me look and feel sick. I found the JUDDD portion of LCF and all of these wonderful 'budds', and the WOE just made sense for me. I did backslide from September 2012 until May 2013 due to family issues and put back 20 of the 45 pounds I'd originally lost, but I'm back on plan and doing well, nearly 10 of those pounds gone in 2 months. I enjoy having fruit and vegetables, the snacks that are comforting and, let's face it, just plain good! I do very well with having a small amount of food on a down day, knowing that I'm going to get to have yummy, filling food the next day. It's a great WOE -- I'm glad I found it a couple of years ago.

And that's why I JUDDD!!! :up:

ouizoid 07-07-2013 06:45 PM

I do it to lose weight, I do it because I can't only low carb--I need my veggies and fruit--and I mostly and truly do it because I believe with every little fiber of my being that the biochemistry of fasting creates a healing environment in the body that will reduce the possibility of ever developing cancer, diabetes, liver disease, etc. Weight loss, in many ways for me is secondary to that--

KeirasMom 07-07-2013 06:48 PM

Simply put, I do JUDDD because it's the only thing I've been able to stick with for longer than 3 months at a time. It took me to my first goal, past my second, right on past my third, and will take me to my final goal (whatever that ends up being). It has maintenance built right in. There are no special foods to buy, no pills to purchase, no plan to spend money on. It's so easy, and so straightforward. When I've decided to maintain for a few months, then go back to WLM, the loss picked right back up, unlike most plans I've tried, where the second or third time you try it, it's slower and slower. I just absolutely :heart: JUDDD.

Flutter 07-07-2013 06:49 PM

Bc it's a DD and I still was able to go out to eat with my family AND enjoy a cocktail on the patio at home and still be on plan to lose more weight! What is not to love?!? I have my life back while being able to lose 50+ pounds and in my skinny jeans again. I am with Carly, juddd has seriously changed my life without feeling like I am deprived of anything. Why *wouldn't* I JUDDD is the better question! ����

Flutter 07-07-2013 06:51 PM

Lol, then there is ouiz and Dawn's reasons....yea, that's it! Lol!

Kimmietoo 07-07-2013 07:13 PM

What she said. (She being ALL of the above.)

It's nothing short of incredible in what it does for us.

And also very important.... the JUDDD BUDDDs are the best!

Kimmie

Familyvet 07-07-2013 08:30 PM

There are sooo many reasons to JUDDD. The awesome health benefits being at the top of the list IMHO. I love that if I overindulge, for whatever reason, I can usually fix it in a DD or two! I agree with Carly. I will do this in some form for life!

Keta 07-07-2013 09:12 PM

What drew me to JUDDD after lurking around the board for about 2 months was the stats of the people that have been doing it for awhile.

After one week, I am starting to believe that I can do this too ! :agree:

The attitude of people on this part of LCF's is so inspiring...thank you all !

krave79 07-07-2013 09:50 PM

Thanks all for the great answers! I will definitely pick up a copy of this book, if my Dr seems unhappy with my current plan. Thanks!

FairyWren 07-08-2013 01:48 AM

Apart from the health benefits JUDDD is just so easy to stick to week after week after week, i love that i can eat a whole range of food, nothing is off limits - even on a down day as long as you count the cals.

The lovely JUDDD buds on here are a phenomenal support!

pooticus 07-08-2013 06:24 AM

I JUDDD because of the incredible health implications of alternate day intermittent fasting. I have asthma, t2 diabetes, pcos (although post-hysto), arthritis, am a breast cancer survivor, and now have movement disorder and lymphedema resulting from treatment. Inflammation is highly implicated in the proliferation of all of these diseases. The latest science is revealing that intermittent fasting with calorie restriction mediates very powerful inflammatory markers such as iGF1, mTOR, plus inflammatory cytokines. It also turns on the SIRT1 gene or so called rescue or longevity gene--sometimes called "the skinny gene."

Intermittent fasting is being shown to down-regulate (take the oomph out of) iGF1 and MTOR, and is being shown to "switch on" or up-regulate (speed up) SIRT1. It's a perfect storm for healing.

The by-product of alternate day intermittent fasting with caloric control is it's the only thing that has helped me break through a multi-month weight loss plateau when I was simply an Atkinsneer.

Simply put, I do it because it works. I do it because it heals.

Librarygirl 07-08-2013 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flutter (Post 16504189)
Bc it's a DD and I still was able to go out to eat with my family AND enjoy a cocktail on the patio at home and still be on plan to lose more weight! What is not to love?!? I have my life back while being able to lose 50+ pounds and in my skinny jeans again. I am with Carly, juddd has seriously changed my life without feeling like I am deprived of anything. Why *wouldn't* I JUDDD is the better question! ����

:goodpost::love:

theredhead 07-08-2013 09:34 AM

I do it because, after ten years of low carbing, trying this and that to finish off the last few pounds and maintain, I'm maintaining very easily and HAPPILY!

I love the health benefits of JUDDD. I feel good. I'm so used to eating this way, I'll never stop. My DH is maintaining his weight loss this way, too. It's a no-brainer.

LoriAS 07-08-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theredhead (Post 16504875)
I do it because, after ten years of low carbing, trying this and that to finish off the last few pounds and maintain, I'm maintaining very easily and HAPPILY!

I love the health benefits of JUDDD. I feel good. I'm so used to eating this way, I'll never stop. My DH is maintaining his weight loss this way, too. It's a no-brainer.

Laurie, inspiring photos. KUTGW!

theredhead 07-08-2013 10:04 AM

Thank you!

piglet513 07-08-2013 10:05 AM

krave, I'm a newly converted JUDDD'er, and I have to say a huge reason for me leaving Atkins and moving to JUDDD was because of the things you talk about. I would have had to remain in induction for a very long time to get the bulk of the weight off, and the side effects of ketosis were getting a bit unbearable. I stuck with it for 3-4 weeks, and couldn't take anymore. I wanted an apple... more than anything. So, I started poking around here, and after days of questions and discussions, this is where I decided I wanted to be. I can't speak too much of this woe since I haven't been doing it long, but I have to say I LOVE that when I can't have cake with my son today, we can share a big chunk of it tomorrow. Never isn't in my vocabulary anymore and neither is: Well, I can have that in about 60 pounds. I'm really happy so far and hope this continues! :D All this said on a DD!

Sirtain 07-08-2013 10:56 AM

I started JUDDD for various reasons, which still apply, but here's something I wasn't expecting:

My present 'diet' (WHAT I eat) makes me feel good, and when I stick to it, I lose weight. But any slips were very hard to come back from. I was stuck in the mental attitude of 'I blew it, so I might as go all out' and the physical reality of not being able to resume healthy eating while battling my 'bad eating hangover', ie, sugar swings.

JUDDD has made it easy for me to RESUME good eating after a slip. Since it will be impossible to 'be good' forever, this is vital for my long term success. I'm no longer worried when i eat something I shouldn't. I know one Down Day, and I will be back on top. And STARTING and DOING those Down Days is not difficult. I know it is just one day, not the start of 'I'm going to be good forever-never shall xyz cross my lips again!'

Regardless of WHAT you eat (although I do think higher-carb on your Up Days makes the hunger more difficult- not impossible, just more difficult) I think JUDDD as a tool for HOW and WHEN you eat is something a lot of people could get benefit from.

calichris 07-08-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piglet513 (Post 16504931)
Never isn't in my vocabulary anymore and neither is: Well, I can have that in about 60 pounds. I'm really happy so far and hope this continues! :D All this said on a DD!

:goodpost: and that is why we have so many happy and successful maintainers . . . which is another reason I felt like this plan must work. :)

LoCarbGal 07-08-2013 12:53 PM

There are so many reasons, I know I'll miss some, but here goes:

1. I'm losing weight just as quickly as I did on Atkins Induction
2. There is no food that is ever really off limits
3. Desserts are back in the picture
4. My skin is much improved. Redness in my cheeks has disappeared and much less itchiness
5. Much less intestinal difficulties
6. All the health benefits of IF keep my motivated to not give this WOE up
7. I now love the empty feeling I have on DDs
8. I ate all the holiday treats I wanted, every other day, all through last December and I still lost 9 pounds that month
9. Mental clarity and amazing energy on DDs

Drumroll..........................................

10. The wonderful JBs that have become true friends. I couldn't do this without them!

grannysmith 07-08-2013 01:20 PM

SAme as everyone else...I lost quite nicely when i stuck to JUDDD for a month, then blew off most of June and gained 10lbs back...I've been back on a week and lost 4 lbs, eating barbecue and sweet corn and sandwiches. And margaritas. Works for me!

krave79 07-08-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pooticus (Post 16504577)
I JUDDD because of the incredible health implications of alternate day intermittent fasting. I have asthma, t2 diabetes, pcos (although post-hysto), arthritis, am a breast cancer survivor, and now have movement disorder and lymphedema resulting from treatment. Inflammation is highly implicated in the proliferation of all of these diseases. The latest science is revealing that intermittent fasting with calorie restriction mediates very powerful inflammatory markers such as iGF1, mTOR, plus inflammatory cytokines. It also turns on the SIRT1 gene or so called rescue or longevity gene--sometimes called "the skinny gene."

Intermittent fasting is being shown to down-regulate (take the oomph out of) iGF1 and MTOR, and is being shown to "switch on" or up-regulate (speed up) SIRT1. It's a perfect storm for healing.

The by-product of alternate day intermittent fasting with caloric control is it's the only thing that has helped me break through a multi-month weight loss plateau when I was simply an Atkinsneer.

Simply put, I do it because it works. I do it because it heals.

Does the JUDDD book go into further detail about this? I find it fascinating, for personal reasons. Thanks!

krave79 07-08-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piglet513 (Post 16504931)
krave, I'm a newly converted JUDDD'er, and I have to say a huge reason for me leaving Atkins and moving to JUDDD was because of the things you talk about. I would have had to remain in induction for a very long time to get the bulk of the weight off, and the side effects of ketosis were getting a bit unbearable. I stuck with it for 3-4 weeks, and couldn't take anymore. I wanted an apple... more than anything. So, I started poking around here, and after days of questions and discussions, this is where I decided I wanted to be. I can't speak too much of this woe since I haven't been doing it long, but I have to say I LOVE that when I can't have cake with my son today, we can share a big chunk of it tomorrow. Never isn't in my vocabulary anymore and neither is: Well, I can have that in about 60 pounds. I'm really happy so far and hope this continues! :D All this said on a DD!

LOL it is like you read my mind on many points. One low point was when my always baking goodies, young teen daughter surprised me with a sugar free dessert she was so darn proud of baking... and she caught me only pretending to eat it. It really hurt her feelings. That was the worst :( I'm her Mom, I taught her how to bake (much more healthfully than I voluntarily eat myself)...it's kind of... our thing. And to know she researched so hard to surprise me... this is the most socially awkward lifestyle change I have ever encountered. Hurt my kids feelings, hubby thinks I stink... :dunno:
In a way it's funny... but wow...

krave79 07-08-2013 05:34 PM

I'd really *really* like to say Thank You to everyone who posted. I have read and re-read your words and they are just great and so informative. Thanks again!

piglet513 07-08-2013 05:44 PM

You're very welcome krave!! I think most things in the book can be found on the JUDDD website, but I don't actually have the book, so someone else can weigh in on that one. :D

Librarygirl 07-08-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krave79 (Post 16504049)
I am just curious. I am currently Atkins-Induction, with my magical pee turning sticks colors.
My husband says I smell heavenly and he adores all the energy I no longer possess when it comes to housekeeping, getting out of bed for work, etc...

Having a helluva time with the side effects of ketosis. I have a note to self to call my physician in the morning. Until then, I have been reading up on different WOE. I have no interest in ever eating wheat or over indulging in refined sugars again.

So, eat what you want one day and eat 500 calories the next?

Why do you JUDDD?

:newbie:

You can eat what you want on both days, but there are calorie limits on Up Days (UDs) as well. You can google JUDDD calculator and put in your statistics (weight, height, age) to get your numbers for both days. After a two week induction of 500 calories every other day, most of us shoot for our 20% percentages on Down Days (DDs). That would be lower than 500 for most of us.

The general advice is to start with "Little to No Exercise" to get your numbers on the JUDDD calculator. Unless you are training for a marathon, or you have a job that requires manual labor, you probably don't burn enough calories to eat more than the amount given. Some JB's do eat more than that on both days and have success, but that is the general rule. :) :welcome: and I hope you will join us!

reptogirl 07-08-2013 11:30 PM

Juddd seemed so easy when I read about it on here, decided why not..almost 2 months later and almost 20 pounds gone I love this plan, I just had like a week off from it and I hit a new low and kept it there without effort...ummm yeah!!! And like everyone has mentioned great health benefits and this is a long term approach to lose weight, no pesky you can't have this or that, have whatever every other day(staying within your cal range) I would recommend to anyone to try this...so easy so rewarding. Life changing!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:40 AM.