Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Considering Low Carb

along with JUDDD. Just thinking of it at this point, but I do know it would result in quicker weight loss, if for no other reason than killing the urge to overeat. Of course, I've had my fill of carby deserts and foods for nearly 9 months, so I don't know how long it will take before I feel deprived again (it took 2 months last year before JUDDD). Maybe I can do it as a jump start for weight loss, if nothing else...still just in the considering phase right now.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2013, 05:40 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I'm interested to see how it affects your losses. I'm trying to add more protein, but still not worrying about carbs at this point.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
You could give it a 2 week trial run and see how you feel about it and if you see quicker weight loss. Maybe even try a carb cycling plan

Like one day under 20 net and then the next day 60 net
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:17 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kimmietoo
Stats: 350/269.2/??? 58 yo, hypothyroid age 8; menopausal
WOE: start JUDDD 01/24/13 at 310
Start Date: July 2009
For me personally, carb control really makes a difference, both in appetite suppression and weight loss. The better job that I do with controlling carb intake, the better results I get with JUDDD.

As Carly suggests, a two week trial can tell you if it's something that helps or not.

Kimmie
Kimmietoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Tomorrow's a DD, so no problem with low carb. I had rice tonight, and bread at lunch but was not tempted for the first time in a long time to buy something for dessert. It may just be today, but I felt like I reached some significant stage in my WL. I will try my first UD LC on Monday. I may not go as LC as when I was LC, lol, but I will avoid sugar and starches in the most blatant forms (i.e., refined sugar and sugary foods, rice, potatoes, bread--the White stuff).

Last edited by Librarygirl; 07-06-2013 at 06:47 PM..
Old 07-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Sounds like it may just be the thing to jump start those losses,
Old 07-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #7
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Wooohoo! I think you should totally try it!

Maybe you could assign yourself a "free day" every month? Not an UUAD. But like, maybe 1 week a month you take a low carb holiday. The bad part will be if you go into ketosis, then you have the jump back up 4 lbs.
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Yea, it's the ketosis thing that has me dragging my heels about going LC again. Well, that, and that I start to get royally ticked off after watching (& cooking for) my family eat all the carby stuff and I can't. {sigh}

If you think you can do it, LG, I think it's a great idea! I really do! My body always felt best LC, and as you know, with my digestive issues lately, I may have to do it again if the probiotics don't help me out much. If I felt I were stalling and needed it to kick start a loss, though, YOU BET I would do it! GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO for it!!!! Here's the difference this time: you have OPTIONS! You can always take a break when you need to. (just expect the immediate off ketosis gain) This time around, you know you don't *have* to eat LC every day for the rest of your life, unless you truly wanted to!

Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Anonymousity
Stats: 195.2/190.0/135 5'6" (highest wt. 215)
WOE: Low Carb/Low Fat Stills
Start Date: August 8, 2014 (restart)
Do you have specific foods that set off the hunger monster? For me, its anything sweet, especially chocolate! I'm avoiding sugar for now, and I've been able to keep my binging under control.
Anonymousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:19 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
The great thing is that you have so many options. If you just want to curb cravings, it might work just to cut back a bit and go lighter on the biggest culprits like white bread and sugar. If you want to get in ketosis every day, you can go very low carb. Or anything in between! It's interesting to experiment and see what is going to work for us. I've just started trying to be a little more aware of carbs again too ... making an effort to cut back some and choose lower carb options a lot of the time, but not to the point where I feel deprived, because for me that would probably backfire.
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:49 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FairyWren
Stats: 178/136/124 5'3"
WOE: LC JUDDD
If you do decide to go for this it will be really interesting to see how it goes for you. For myself i've had no choice (because of my internal issues) to watch my carbs these last few weeks. On a DD they've been between 0 and 5g and on an UD between 10g and 100g. I've been losing between 2 and 3 pounds a week. As a bonus it's definitely helped with the cravings or tendency to overeat carby things - there have been chocolate cookies in the cupboard for weeks, unopened, and i haven't been interested - never would've happened in the past!

I agree with other folks who say perhaps cut back or cut out the sugar and refined carbs.

FairyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:35 AM   #12
the condiment queen

I believe that's the beauty of JUDDD and ADF/Intermittent Fasting, Chris! I love Evie's ideas too!

Low Carb or IF doesn't have to be a "my way-or the highway" type of black and white plan unless we choose to make it so.

There's so much flexibility in it! If you want to do LC (super low) one day, do it. If you want to have more latitude and include more carbs one day do it.

To a great extent, on DDs when you are concentrating on maxing nutrition, it's almost an LC no brainer. Cuz if you concentrate on protein requirements first, that takes up about 20-30% of your 500 cal allotment. If you concentrate on carbs next according to the limit you choose for yourself, that accounts for another 80-120 cals with the rest coming from fat. (Or you can surely flip flop the fat/carb thing if you like lower carbs and higher fat.)

Then UD can be as leanient or strict as you like. I'm very metabolically resistant and on top of that take a cancer drug (Femara) and asthma inhalers (Advair and Flonase). Some of their known side-effects are weight gain. So losing is HARD. Gaining is super easy peasy. But if I even LOOK like I'm going to start restricting my carbs down to a <10g/day target, I start to sweat with nervous dread!

So on my UDs, my rule is that I can have as many veggies as I want and a tiny bit of fruit (like 1 serving of berries: 1/3-1/2 cup max). As many as I want. I also allow myself to prepare low carb comfort food. The results are that even eating my weight in veggies along with 60-70g of protein per day on UDs and fats to make it to 1200-1400 cals, I still only get in between 40-65 g of carbs per day (non-net). If I net, then it's closer to 28-40g of net carbs per day.)

Most days that leaves me so happy and I have zero idea about whether or not I'm in ketosis. I don't THINK I am, but I'm not testing and have no weird smells or tastes etc. So the point is...I'm thrilled with my plan on most days. But let a holiday roll around? And dayum, shazayam, mam! I want to get it on! I want to party like there is no tomorrow! I don't want to think about totals or restrictions or limits and just the thought of those limits makes me have a "Hulk mad!" moment! So I don't impose those. Holidays are hedonistic free-for-alls!

What happens? Well, I have the holiday, unfortunately (or fortunately), the wild abandon I expect to occur never happens, and I eat a few bites of things I've longed for in my mind, have a couple of drinks or glasses of wine and put my bad self to bed at the end of the day.

But what about paying the scale piper? It generally only bounces 2-3pounds that next day. And if I'm diligent about going back to my DD immediately the day following the bacchanalia...it doesn't do much more than that. It "might" slow things to a stop for 3-4 days. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. But it doesn't hairlip the world nor does it make me see-saw with the same 5 lb GHDWL (Ground Hog Day Weight Loss).

Sorry for the long-winded reply. What it all means is JUDDD and IF are forgiving plans. They tolerate tweaks beautifully!

(I also need to say, I maintain an eating window for health reasons. I fast 14-16 hours daily - in addition to my JUDDD/LC.) And btw, my oncologist? Loves that I'm eating this way! He told me to keep doing it no matter what! Can you believe that? He told me to never eat the same cals on any given day. So there must be something about this stuff, yeah?

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13
Old 07-07-2013, 06:36 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/120.8/115-120
Cindy- I would say try it and see you how you like it. I find LC suppressing my appetite and it works great with JUDDD. I think you don't have to go too extreme to get the benefits. You can just lower your carbs without going into ketosis to get the weight loss going. I think just by cutting white stuff (sugar, grains, etc), you my get appetite suppression and good weight loss, if you combine it with JUDDD.

My numbers may not reflect great loss. I was in lower 120's 3 months ago. It is my hormones that make me binge on carbs during PMS, but otherwise low carb JUDDD is fantastic for me.

I hope LC is the answer to jump start your weight loss!!!

My Journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...orward-11.html
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:03 AM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I am excited to try it, yet worried that I can't do it, lol. I don't want to get that all-or-nothing type of thinking that I had when I was doing LC before...My skinny sister told me, "All you have to do is watch your sugar and eat healthy, Cindy." She meant, I didn't have to do JUDDD or any other WL plan. Just follow her advice and I could look like she does (105 lbs).
Old 07-07-2013, 07:12 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I am excited to try it, yet worried that I can't do it, lol. I don't want to get that all-or-nothing type of thinking that I had when I was doing LC before...My skinny sister told me, "All you have to do is watch your sugar and eat healthy, Cindy." She meant, I didn't have to do JUDDD or any other WL plan. Just follow her advice and I could look like she does (105 lbs).
She is a GENIUS!!!!! Why didn't we all think of that? Wow!!!!

Maybe I'm glad I don't have any sisters...
Old 07-07-2013, 07:25 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
Good luck with your experiment LG!
I'm going to do a LC UD today to see how it affects my bounce when I weigh myself tomorrow morning. We are bbqing for dinner tonight so that is an easy way for me to avoid carbs (hubby doesn't eat buns with his hamburgers anyway so I don't bother buying them). For breakfast I had a protein shake blended with coffee (4 carbs) and the only other carbs I will have later today are veggies and fruit.
I agree that it's hard to do the "all or nothing". To start out I would just try lowER carb like substituting lower carb items for higher ones (lc pitas or wraps instead of bread), ect. Eventually it becomes easier.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:32 AM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Cindy I hear you about the skinny sister thing... I had one of those my whole life, but mid-30's hasn't been kind to her and now she's busting out of 10's and I'm getting all the size 4's that we're hardly ever worn and cost way more than I could have spent on a dress, pants, shirt.

I'm one of those people who needs a plan, but I can make it my own too and do what works for me.

I agree with Pooti that the veggie restriction was really the worst part of LC and having to count splenda when I used the powdered stuff. I was always a hard core Atkins girl and it worked for me. The first time I gained when the sleepwalking first started I lost 110 pounds in just over a year by staying in induction, but I'm not sure I would want to do that again although at the time I did not mind it one bit. I went from 230 to under 120 and stayed there for about 5 years never really missing carbs.

I have heard that South Beach is less restrictive than Atkins, but I don't know anything about that plan.

I'm a big fan of the "trial run" pick a time frame and try it. If it isn't working and you don't like it... stop- at least you know you gave it a chance.
75.8 lbs were evicted in less than 14 months!
Called goal on 2/5/13 at 126.8. I can wear size 4P!

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Old 07-07-2013, 08:17 AM   #18
Big Yapper!!!!

I think my sister will be skinny for life. She is 64 yo now, and has never been over 115. She thought she was grossly overweight then. We don't really compete and she is very supportive of me. Now my sister who is 22 months older than me won't say a word about my obvious weight loss, unless I tell her, then she says, That's great. She's managed to get down to 130 lbs and looks great, so I want to do better than that.

As far as LC, I never counted AS or some other "carbs". I won't even worry about vegetables, except for potatoes. Like I said, I'm just going to avoid the white stuff and the obvious "empty" carbs.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Old 07-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #19
the condiment queen

Awesome!!!! Can't wait to hear how it goes!!!

Families are the best of stuff and can also at times be the worst, right? {{hugs}}.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:28 AM   #20
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Cindy, I always think of LC as my fall-back, emergency weight loss booster. That's kind of where the Coffee/HWC idea came from. I absolutely love how my body feels doing pretty strict LC. I'm just glad I don't have to do it 100% of the time now. Maybe just doing it for 2 - 4 weeks will get things boosted enough for you to slowly add in some carbs and keep losing. Good luck!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grannysmith
Stats: 226/ 218/ 145 53, 5'7
WOE: Half-fast diet, LC, GF
Start Date: Every day! 3.14 (repeats endlessly)
The "fat fast for the fat-fast" ;~). I like the feeling of low carb, too. Funny, today is an up day, and I just wanted grilled MEAT! I did barbecued pork butt strips, spicy shrimp and salmon. And some corn, just because. Some of that is for my vegetarian daughter, she eats fish, her theory is, they're like vegetables, you pull them out of the water and they die.

The hardest thing about JUDDD for me...thinking i shouldn't eat that cheese, bacon, butter, pork...too many calories...old habits die hard! it is easier for me to not eat at all on DDs, or do broth w/ sriracha...tea, or that lovelerly crio bru stuff, i like it just sweetened, but i plan to try it tomorrow with cream or coconut oil...a lo carb shake if my tummy hurts...definitely low carb on DDs.

I do think it's easier to do low carb if you know you can have that CARBYTHING you really crave, and you're not blowing the diet. But consistently doing low cal/lo carb is pretty restrictive. Just sayin'.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #22
Big Yapper!!!!

Today is going well. I haven't had any obvious carbs today, and no sugar. I might have a Carb Smart bar after dinner, but will continue to avoid sugar at least for today. One day at a time for now...
Old 07-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/120.8/115-120
Glad to hear that you day went well today, Cindy. KUTGW!
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #24
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Good for you Cindy. Hopefully the appetite suppression will kick in soon and you'll be cruising for as long as you want to do this.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:29 PM   #25
Big Yapper!!!!

Sounds like you did well today!
Old 07-08-2013, 04:22 PM   #26
Big Yapper!!!!

I felt hunger today at intervals but it was manageable. I think cutting out the snacky type stuff, like chips and crackers, for a while will be very helpful. The snack machine really adds on the calories on UDs. However, I do miss my beloved desserts on UDs...I think I will continue to have something sweet when I want it, but only after dinner for a while. Not during the day.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #27
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
My favorite dessert when I was LC was a 1/4 or 1/2 C ricotta cheese with some Splenda and nutmeg. Keira even still asks for it sometimes.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #28
Big Yapper!!!!

I bought some lemon curd this afternoon. I'm pretty sure it's not low carb. I think I'll add it to my Carb Smart ice cream. Baby steps.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #29
Big Yapper!!!!

SF jello with homemade whipped cream is pretty yummy

So are berries and homemade whipped cream.

If you blend some strong iced coffee into the whipped cream with splenda or truvia and let it freeze a bit that is really good too.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:57 PM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I used to melt a SF fudgesicle then add some natural peanut butter & whipped cream together, mix, & freeze it for 30 minutes. SO yummy!! Especially in the summer!