Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 02:16 AM   #211
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen770 View Post
Does everyone count calories real carefully? I did not get a sense of it being really recommended in the book....he said to eat normally on UDs, but you all recommend counting calories on UDs too? I used a lower activity level when I used the calculator on the JUDDD site...it says my spread is 2503/501. I am a weight lifter, and do water aerobics almost every day. Does this sound reasonable to you all?
I'd never previously been a calorie counter, so I needed to count calories so that I'd have some idea of the UD/DD calorie total and if it approximated to the calculator estimate. It also allows you to tweak the DD/UD numbers if they should ever stop working for you - or to help you establish your maintenance figures. Ironically, a common problem has been that to JUDDD don't eat enough on their UD because they're so used to restricting themselves to much lower than their UD figure.

Maybe if you do your induction without counting, and you're losing, then you're not someone who needs to count and you might continue until you do. The substantial caveat is that this would be fine, unless it's plausible that you might under-eat on UD in which case we'd like you to eat to your target in order to protect your metabolic flexibility for later in WLM - weight loss mode.

As for the intensity level of exercise calculation - as per Carly, it's so difficult to know. How often do you weight train and for what length of session?

Last edited by SlowSure; 07-14-2013 at 02:20 AM..
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #212
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sloppail
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD Restart May 20 2014
On my 21st day today...have lost 7.4 pounds so far (I officially weighed for my 3 week tally)...I feel AWESOME!!!! DDs are now much easier, I actually look forward to them now. Less planning and worry to them...I am still doing the 500 calorie ceiling...it seems to still be working. I am officially halfway to my goal weight!!!! 7 down and 7 to go

Kim
sloppail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:36 PM   #213
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ellen770
Start Date: July 2013
Thank you for the responses. Just for clarification, I am 5'7", and weigh about 260 right now. I am diabetic, and use a special type of a simple insulin pump to control blood sugar levels. Last night, as it got close to bed time, I had a blood sugar crash and ended up having to eat something. I tried to be careful, but the calorie count for the day totalled 580 instead of the 500 I was shooting for. The crash was actually kind of encouraging- it shows the diet is working on the metabolic system. I realize its going to be one of those two steps forward, one step back things of figuring out what works, what doesn't... On the UD calorie level, I did use the calculator on the JUDDD website, and the first time it gave me MUCH more, so I reduced my activity level and thought that the 2500/500 split sounded reasonable. I train with heavy weights..like I deadlift 150 pounds...three times a week and do 30-45 min of water aerobics just about every day. (I have a pool in my yard) Would it be best to ease into a lower number in a week or two, and see how these levels work for me? How long should I give it before I adjust? Or would it be better to start out less, and add more if I need to later? I have done low carb and paleo so long, the counting calories seems really foreign! I am counting calories on both UD and DD just to know where I am at on how I am eating.

I appreciate the input...thanks again!
Ellen770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #214
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Fluffy_Bunny
Stats: 220/184.8/160 5'7"
Start Date: July 9, 2013
I'm late as usual but just gonna jump in this July newbie thread. Congrats to everybody making progress on JUDDD already. Tomorrow is the start of my 7th day on rotations and I'll take my official week one weight then since it's the morning of an UD.
Fluffy_Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #215
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I train with heavy weights..like I deadlift 150 pounds...three times a week and do 30-45 min of water aerobics just about every day...Would it be best to ease into a lower number in a week or two, and see how these levels work for me? How long should I give it before I adjust? Or would it be better to start out less, and add more if I need to later?
I'm going to say, start out with your higher numbers and definitely eat what you know that you need to correct any blood sugar fluctuations such as the one that you report (and that wasn't much over, in the scheme of things and you're definitely keeping at least a 1000kcal difference between that and your UD). If you take a look at I believe I had an epiphany...my longest post ever. you'll see that after induction, you have some degree of flexibility with your DD kcal allowances and that might suit your needs.

It would be good if you follow (say) your higher numbers until such time as they stop working for you (or they don't appear to be working - it's important to track inches lost as well as recording what the scale reports). Some people rarely need to adjust their numbers, others did it after an initial 30lb loss or so or after they'd plateaued for a while.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:05 PM   #216
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
I'm going to say, start out with your higher numbers and definitely eat what you know that you need to correct any blood sugar fluctuations such as the one that you report (and that wasn't much over, in the scheme of things and you're definitely keeping at least a 1000kcal difference between that and your UD). If you take a look at I believe I had an epiphany...my longest post ever. you'll see that after induction, you have some degree of flexibility with your DD kcal allowances and that might suit your needs.

It would be good if you follow (say) your higher numbers until such time as they stop working for you (or they don't appear to be working - it's important to track inches lost as well as recording what the scale reports). Some people rarely need to adjust their numbers, others did it after an initial 30lb loss or so or after they'd plateaued for a while.
Exactly what I would have written. I started out at 268 pounds with around 2400/400 for my calories and did great, and that's with no exercise, so I think your numbers should work fine for you.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:34 PM   #217
Senior LCF Member

Thank you, SlowSure and KierasMom. And here it is 8:30 and I have only had 1550 calories today. I guess I better find a snack! I think I love UD!!!
Old 07-15-2013, 07:27 AM   #218
Senior LCF Member

My first weekly weigh in was this morning and I'm at 214.6 for a loss of 5.4 pounds since I started JUDDD'ing last Tuesday (with an UD to boot!).

The headaches and nausea I experienced on the first DD are a thing of the past and I'm actually looking forward to DD's when my UD's come to a close.

I am VERY happy with my progress because aside from the two protein shakes I drink on DD's (which taste absolutely awesome) I have not once eaten anything that could be remotely construed as "diet food". I'm eating delicious home cooked meals, not counting calories at all and have a sinful treat on every UD.

I look forward to seeing what my average weekly weight loss turns out to be over the next few months of JUDDD'ing. This program is awesome!
Old 07-15-2013, 09:53 AM   #219
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
fluffy!!!! So wonderful to hear how well you're doing & how much you're enjoying it! Awesome!!!

Welcome ellen!!!! I am one that hasn't had to touch my numbers since starting. I tried once, but I stalled...so back up to original numbers I went!
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #220
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/212/147 or size 8/10
WOE: 2000/1000 rotations, moderate carb
Start Date: 11/3/14; JUDDD 7/11/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post

I agree 100% with Slowsure. Also, like Melinda (Flutter), I experienced a stall when I cut my calories (and increased exercise at the same time), so I also advocate sticking with the higher numbers as long as they are working for you.

Last edited by calichris; 07-15-2013 at 01:10 PM..
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:02 PM   #221

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Always stick to the highest numbers you can lose with, it makes sense and it feels great!

So many lovely newbies here, I have been kind of MIA as my DD has been visiting, it was 18 months since I'd seen her.

Hoping to be around more now to offer you support, but I know all my lovely JB friends have been here for your.

This is just the best place for kindness and knowledge.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:28 PM   #222
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbMe
Stats: 250/200.6/140
Start Date: 7/7/2013
Hello everyone!

I'd like to stop by and say hello!

I began JUDDD officially on 7/7 and am so far following induction numbers. I am trying this week for work my DD numbers down. The calculator puts my 20% WL numbers as 1888/378.

So far DD haven't been too bad as long as I don't see or think about food! Just been a little light headed but hoping it'll pass soon.

I am so encouraged with this WOE as I see very many successes reported here! In the past it's been so hard to stick with a program LONG TERM! I seem to burn out easily (too much restriction).

I'm happy to be here and appreciate your support!. I pray that JUDDD is the program that works for me (finally)!
Old 07-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #223
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutter View Post
fluffy!!!! So wonderful to hear how well you're doing & how much you're enjoying it! Awesome!!!

Welcome ellen!!!! I am one that hasn't had to touch my numbers since starting. I tried once, but I stalled...so back up to original numbers I went!

Thanks Flutter and hi Ellen

I too think it's best to stick with what you can get away with in terms of calories and still lose. So far I haven't counted any but I do make sure not to over eat. I think not denying myself any kind of food has made it easy to stick to regular portions. I'll keep it that way for now and if I ever stop losing I'll re-evaluate and plan my next steps.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:39 PM   #224

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbMe View Post
Hello everyone!

I began JUDDD officially on 7/7 and am so far following induction numbers. I am trying this week for work my DD numbers down. The calculator puts my 20% WL numbers as 1888/378.

So far DD haven't been too bad as long as I don't see or think about food! Just been a little light headed but hoping it'll pass soon.

I am so encouraged with this WOE as I see very many successes reported here! In the past it's been so hard to stick with a program LONG TERM! I seem to burn out easily (too much restriction).

I'm happy to be here and appreciate your support!. I pray that JUDDD is the program that works for me (finally)!
Linda! I think you'll really love JUDDD. It's been a miracle for me, and I know I'll lose to goal doing this WOE. I hope the same for you!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:48 PM   #225
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/120/118-123
Linda! Wishing you much success with JUDDD.
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:14 PM   #226
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiLi914
Stats: 270/215/145
Start Date: 2/16/2013
Linda!
LiLi914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:09 PM   #227
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbMe
Stats: 250/200.6/140
Start Date: 7/7/2013
Ladies,

Thanks for the warm wishes! I have a feeling I'm gonna it here!
LowCarbMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #228
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Linda, welcome!!!!
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:32 PM   #229
Senior LCF Member

Hi Linda! Looking forward to watch your success unfold!
Old 07-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #230
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Linda!
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:50 PM   #231
Senior LCF Member

Today was my third DD. I bombed. I ended up with about 650-675 calories for the day instead of the 500 I was planning on.

Tomorrow is another day....dusting myself off, picking myself up off the ground, and putting one foot in front of the other.

I read the rest of the book today and found his question and answer section. He does not recommend doing the diet if you are a diabetic and on insulin. I am pondering this, but it has not deterred me. If the diet helps improve insulin resistance, then it seems like it would be good- you just have to monitor more carefully. I can do that. My 'control' has not been tight for a long time....I am willing to deal with swings for the long term benefits.

FLUFFY: I see you are also in Georgia. I am outside of Atlanta, north east, just outside the Perimeter. Where are you?
Old 07-16-2013, 04:02 AM   #232
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Today was my third DD. I bombed. I ended up with about 650-675 calories for the day instead of the 500 I was planning on.

Tomorrow is another day....dusting myself off, picking myself up off the ground, and putting one foot in front of the other.
Good attitude although I'm going to suggest that maybe you might want to modify the black/white "I bombed" rhetoric unless you know that it's helpful to you.

Because it looks to me like you had a within-bounds day. It's not 20% or 500kcals but it's still OK and you're still continuing so what's to criticise about that? Did you need the extra food because you were hungry or was it prompted by blood sugar/insulin shifts after exercise?

It's always so difficult about the issue of diabetes and insulin. Dr Johnson advises against it. We've got members such as Carly who have followed the schedule and been able to reverse their diabetes, despite using insulin (she doesn't now). And there have been hypoglycaemic or NIDDM people who couldn't adapt to it.

You sound in tune with your needs so it will be interesting to see how you progress. I should think you get a lot of feedback from the insulin pump in some ways?

Good luck - and please remember that you're in induction precisely to learn what schedules, food and activities work for you and which don't.

Last edited by SlowSure; 07-16-2013 at 04:11 AM..
Old 07-16-2013, 04:05 AM   #233
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbMe View Post

Just to add to the chorus of

I hope that you find that JUDDD is as pleasant and flexible a way of life as others of us do.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:27 AM   #234
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: piglet513
Stats: 214/199/130 5' 3 1/4" 34 yrs old
Start Date: 6/17/13-Atkins. 7/6/13-JUDDD
I'm thinking of buying the book today, but I read in one post that there wasn't a lot in there that's not on this forum. Of course, it may make it easier if it's all in one place such as the book. Do you think it's worth the money to buy the book? Or should I just keep digging here?
piglet513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:59 AM   #235
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by piglet513 View Post
I'm thinking of buying the book today, but I read in one post that there wasn't a lot in there that's not on this forum. Of course, it may make it easier if it's all in one place such as the book. Do you think it's worth the money to buy the book? Or should I just keep digging here?
I got the book for under $5. I think it's worth reading even though there is tons of real life experience here. At least with the book you can read the way the plan was written and some of the science behind it.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:44 AM   #236
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grammyw/kitties
Stats: I am 170.2
WOE: I am starting IF leaning towards locarb
Start Date: Starting Dec 20,2012
Seeing the book lying on the table or in my bag , reminds me to stay on plan for the day.. I also read it and understand so much now about the plan and how it works,I think the book is well worth the money.
grammyw/kitties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:11 AM   #237
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
FLUFFY: I see you are also in Georgia. I am outside of Atlanta, north east, just outside the Perimeter. Where are you?

Hey there Ellen! I'm also outside of ATL to the north east. Duluth.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:32 AM   #238
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiLi914
Stats: 270/215/145
Start Date: 2/16/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by piglet513 View Post
I was actually able to get the book online for free through my kindle and I found it very educational and informative as I had not found this site yet. This site is extremely helpful and supportive and of course the life experience you can definitely find here, but if you are able to get the book at an extremely low cost I would recommend it.
LiLi914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:43 AM   #239
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: piglet513
Stats: 214/199/130 5' 3 1/4" 34 yrs old
Start Date: 6/17/13-Atkins. 7/6/13-JUDDD
Dang, I tried to find it for free for my kindle, but came up empty handed. I found it on Amazon for $6 including shipping and tax, so it should be here in a couple days.
piglet513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #240

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Quote:

Just to reiterate what Slow says, that wasn't bombing, that was just a bit higer that you'd like for a DD. Many have done much worse during their first DDs and have had great weigh loss.

Hope the book arrives quickly Piglet. I look at it now and again even after almost 2 years. It helps to remind me how lucky I am to have found this wonderful tool for weight control.

to all the other newbies.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote