Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 07:15 AM   #61
Rho
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rho
Stats: 291.4/restart 250/current 231/next 230
WOE: Atkinsish
Start Date: 6/11 293 Atkinsish restart 6/14 250
Thanks off to explore the link -

No hubs doesn't diet at all - I wish I could get him to try something -- he is the one on lots of meds that he could come off by changing diet and losing some weight but unless it is his choice it won't work at all and I know that

Thanks again
Rho is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2013, 07:20 AM   #62
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Trini
Stats: 248/235/165, 5'9"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 27, 2013
Fourth DD yesterday. Easy at 305 Cal. New low at 242.
My kid is with her dad for several weeks and my husband is on night shifts. I was sooo bored! And all I could think about was driving to get a coffee. I settled for a cute little tea shop instead and drank a lovely white/green tea mix. I so need to get some hobbies so I can avoid the kitchen.

Any thoughts on if drinking beer or wine slows your lose on JUDDD?
Is there s preference on which day to exercise? DD or UD? Both?

Thanks!
Trini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:49 AM   #63
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trini View Post
My kid is with her dad for several weeks and my husband is on night shifts. I was sooo bored! And all I could think about was driving to get a coffee. I settled for a cute little tea shop instead and drank a lovely white/green tea mix. I so need to get some hobbies so I can avoid the kitchen.

Thanks!
Can't give any input on beer or wine, but either day is fine for exercise. I'm more apt to exercise on DDs since I seem to be more energetic and eating isn't using up any of my time, but no reason note to exercise on both days.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:24 AM   #64
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Quote:

Thanks!
Ah, we'll, I am not a beer drinker, but I definitely have mixed drinks and it surely hasn't slowed my losses. I just make sure to count the calories. (Whether DD or UD!)

Welcome new peeps!
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:30 AM   #65
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I have been known to have wine (um, that's an understatement)! No problems losing as long as I log the calories.

Exercise is no problem, whichever day you feel up to it. Many of us exercise both days, some prefer DDs only, and others prefer UDs only.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FairyWren
Stats: 178/136/124 5'3"
WOE: LC JUDDD
What Dawn said!
FairyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:01 AM   #67
Big Yapper!!!!

Dawn I love the new avi!
Old 07-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #68

Thanks, Carly!
Old 07-04-2013, 12:01 PM   #69
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I have been known to have wine (um, that's an understatement)! No problems losing as long as I log the calories.

Exercise is no problem, whichever day you feel up to it. Many of us exercise both days, some prefer DDs only, and others prefer UDs only.

Thanks! It's typically thrown my will-power out the window in the past. I like to keep my options open. Girls night out is so much funnier. I love that I'm only have to really control my eating every other day!! It's so much easier this way!

Definitely can tell its improving my moods and I'm feeling lighter. In spirit too!

Thanks for all the awesome feedback. It's so nice to be able to ask questions from people that have been doing this. Love that this is available!
Old 07-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Trini, my daughter is a brand new JUDDDer this week and she said the same about her mood, she said the best thing is being able to eat whatever she wants, guilt free, we were just chatting on instant messaging and she said she doesn't even care if the weigh loss is really slow she feels, even after just a week that it is a sustainable WOE that she can stick with in the long term
Old 07-04-2013, 04:29 PM   #71
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyWren View Post
Trini, my daughter is a brand new JUDDDer this week and she said the same about her mood, she said the best thing is being able to eat whatever she wants, guilt free, we were just chatting on instant messaging and she said she doesn't even care if the weigh loss is really slow she feels, even after just a week that it is a sustainable WOE that she can stick with in the long term
So happy for your DD! It is a sustainable woe.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #72
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:

Thanks! It's typically thrown my will-power out the window in the past. I like to keep my options open. Girls night out is so much funnier. I love that I'm only have to really control my eating every other day!! It's so much easier this way!

Definitely can tell its improving my moods and I'm feeling lighter. In spirit too!

Thanks for all the awesome feedback. It's so nice to be able to ask questions from people that have been doing this. Love that this is available!
Trini!! JUDDD is so fun and it feels so wonderful to be able to EAT every other day. Dieting is easy, one day at a time.

Quote:
So happy for your DD!!! If you feel comfortable with it, ask her to join us here.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:51 PM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post

So happy for your DD!!! If you feel comfortable with it, ask her to join us here.
Yes, i did already and she says it sounds really great but she's working full time and also studying part time for her degree and she thinks she might get too sidetracked. Never mind, perhaps she'll join us one of these days. When i see her later this month i'll show her some of the amazing before and after photos of you lovely JUDDD buds
Old 07-05-2013, 03:42 AM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: piglet513
Stats: 214/199/130 5' 3 1/4" 34 yrs old
Start Date: 6/17/13-Atkins. 7/6/13-JUDDD
I'm still tossing this woe around and have some questions for the more experienced. Do you feel like you're starving and constantly hungry on your DD's? One of my biggest anxieties about it is social situations especially with it being summer. If I was on a down day, my family would ridicule me to the end if I didn't eat anything at all at a party. I already get a hard time for what I eat or don't eat now since I'm LC. Is it somehow not as difficult as it seems?
piglet513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:57 AM   #75
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Everyone's experience of this is different. No, I'm rarely hungry on a DD.

As for social occasions etc., you might want to read: I believe I had an epiphany...my longest post ever. which is a very helpful post about the choice of levels of DD that we can adapt to our lifestyles or particular events. JUDDD is remarkably flexible and liveable.

As an example, for me during weigh loss (WLM) the numbers are:

20% 1538/308
25% 1538/385
30% 1538/461
35% 1538/538

So, WLM has a range of 308-538 for me on DDs. If I were going to a social event, I might decide to save my higher-end allowance and eat it there. Or, if I've done induction, I might decide to have a maintenance DD's worth of kcals.

WLM maintenance range is 1538 UDs with DDs of 615-692.

I find that flexible enough to cope with most of my sporting and social commitments. As ever, YMMV.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:38 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by piglet513 View Post
I'm still tossing this woe around and have some questions for the more experienced. Do you feel like you're starving and constantly hungry on your DD's? One of my biggest anxieties about it is social situations especially with it being summer. If I was on a down day, my family would ridicule me to the end if I didn't eat anything at all at a party. I already get a hard time for what I eat or don't eat now since I'm LC. Is it somehow not as difficult as it seems?
SS gave you some wonderful advice. It really isn't as difficult as it seems in the beginning. I did rotations in Las Vegas after only being on JUDDD for a couple of weeks and it wasn't hard at all. I always found a way to make the DD work. Social situations are no big deal. Honestly, few people pay any attention to what you eat. You could load your plate with lots of healthy veggies and a small amount of protein, look like you're having a feast, and still stay within your calories.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:30 AM   #77
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Quote:
SS gave you some wonderful advice. It really isn't as difficult as it seems in the beginning. I did rotations in Las Vegas after only being on JUDDD for a couple of weeks and it wasn't hard at all. I always found a way to make the DD work. Social situations are no big deal. Honestly, few people pay any attention to what you eat. You could load your plate with lots of healthy veggies and a small amount of protein, look like you're having a feast, and still stay within your calories.
Definitely what Dawn said
I would say that hungry DDs are rare, but they do happen from time to time. I had a hungry one on Wednesday, but by the evening the hungries had passed.

I've had to go out on DDs and just ordered a house salad with vinegar and a diet coke. If a social occasion was very special and was going to have wonderful food I would just switch my rotation, but did that very infrequently.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:42 AM   #78
Senior LCF Member

In some ways it seems like it would be easier than the LC woe that I'm doing now. I guess the best part about LC is the low appetite, but if you guys/gals don't get the hungries on DD's, then maybe it won't matter. My bf complains that he couldn't do it because his morning Starbucks and Pepsi would put him over on DD's, but I don't drink either of those, so I don't think it would be an issue. When you started did you do the shakes like I read on Dr. J's website to do for the first week, or did you dive right in with food?
Old 07-05-2013, 06:50 AM   #79
Rho
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rho
Stats: 291.4/restart 250/current 231/next 230
WOE: Atkinsish
Start Date: 6/11 293 Atkinsish restart 6/14 250
Quote:
I am having a tough start to this but I WILL get it ... I need to deal with my lame brain - I never eat breakfast - have alway been a coffee person and that is it - then lots of times I would be doing things and realize it was 4 and I still hadn't eaten - I start this and my brain is screaming at me "OMG eat eat you only have x to eat". - just need to get back in my normal mindset and have a list made up of things to snack on

I will get it - it makes so much sense to me - my goal right now isn't a real actual number but hitting the "no longer overweight" spot ... I'm thinking it will be about 30 lbs more to get there ..
Rho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:51 AM   #80
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
In some ways it seems like it would be easier than the LC woe that I'm doing now. I guess the best part about LC is the low appetite, but if you guys/gals don't get the hungries on DD's, then maybe it won't matter. My bf complains that he couldn't do it because his morning Starbucks and Pepsi would put him over on DD's, but I don't drink either of those, so I don't think it would be an issue. When you started did you do the shakes like I read on Dr. J's website to do for the first week, or did you dive right in with food?
I used regular food, but also relied heavily on frozen dinners like lean cuisine and smart ones in the beginning. Regular food is fine as long as you weigh and measure everything. Eyeballing it or guesstimating is not a good strategy. Serving sizes were quite an eye opener for me. A tablespoon of half and half was not going to do it for me. I was probably using a quarter of a cup when I just poured it into my big coffee.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:00 AM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: windygap
Stats: Ex:166/136/130
WOE: Atkins now doing JUDDD and lowcarb
Start Date: April28,2013JUDDD start June 16' 2013
Hi to all the newbies for July. I am a June newbie only starting on the 16th and have already lost 7 lbs as of the 4th of July. So that shows you it can work. Nothing usually works for me and this has been so simple. Welcome and enjoy your time here.
windygap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:15 AM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Windygap, I see that you are using Atkins as well. Are you integrating both Atkins and JUDDD?
Old 07-05-2013, 07:35 AM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
When you started did you do the shakes like I read on Dr. J's website to do for the first week, or did you dive right in with food?
When i did JUDDD last year i started off using shakes but only for about a week then used regular food. This time i just used normal foods. I think the recommendation to use shakes for DDs to start is to make things easy and simple. I guess it's just a matter of personal choice, i'm happy to weigh my food on a DD so that i can calculate the cals. Most DDs i stick to the same food anyway.

Hope that helps a little
Old 07-05-2013, 08:18 AM   #84
Senior LCF Member

Yeah, that really helps because I really didn't want to spend all that money for shakes especially since a lot of them are chemical nastiness. Thanks!
Old 07-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #85
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
the shakes I bought to start Juddd last Nov are still in my fridge untouched. (I really need to get rid of those!) You can use whatever works best for YOU on DDs.

As for the social situation thing, I also have a house salad (and ahem, even a cocktail or two if I want) on a DD evening if DH wants to go out. OR, I will have a lower calorie entrée if there's no house salad. At BBQs or family events, I will fast all day and just eat what I want. Usually nothing looks as good as I think it will once I'm there, so it's pretty easy to not eat much. (and I see all the hands going in to dishes, etc, and get disgusted thinking about all those germy hands touching utinsils, etc, and then I have no appetite! LOL!)

Really, it's not a big deal to have 2 UDs in a row for these things, either. I have found I am much more flexible about everything as I go along. Things really are not black or white, there is lots of grey out there! These events are part of life, they're fun, so enjoy them, and remember, it's ONLY one day! Not going to ruin your Juddd life at all.

Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #86
Senior LCF Member

I know I'm asking a ton of questions... but do you eat whatever you want on UD's or do you still count to make sure you don't go over your UD calorie allowance?
Old 07-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #87
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Piglet, I noticed that no one really pays attention to what I am eating on my DD. If you have water or sugar-free something in a glass and you have a plate with vegis, people seem to think you're eating at social outings.

Of course, I've had lots of experience with this at work. People tend to want to push sugary snacks on you. Sugar just does not agree with me. I finally started excepting it, taking it back to my office, and throwing it away. I've also been known to save the cupcakes for my daughter.

When I'm eating low carb, my husband has had a tendency to want lots of carby food in the house. Avoiding that stuff is so hard! But, it's easy for me to avoid eating if I know I can have some tomorrow. I make a game out of it. One hundred points for me if I can avoid their food pushiness. 200 points if I do it with a smile.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:01 AM   #88

Quote:
I know I'm asking a ton of questions... but do you eat whatever you want on UD's or do you still count to make sure you don't go over your UD calorie allowance?
I always advocate counting, even on your UDs. Some don't need to, but most of us just don't know what "normal" is, or we wouldn't be here. If you can count, at least in the beginning, to get an idea how close your "normal" is to what it "should be," I think you'll have a better chance of making this work.

I'm over a year and a half in, and I still count everything.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #89
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Evie,

Totally on board with your daughter! It's amazing how much more will-power having more energy and feeling positive help. It's like one feeds into the other and back again. It's not totally true to say I'd do this forever if it just helped moods and energy level, but it's in the ballpark. I'll be a happier person with the weight loss too. For some reason I equate fitting into a size 12 again with having lots more fun!
Old 07-05-2013, 10:48 AM   #90
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
On the topic of exercise calories, you'll find a wide variety of opinions. It has been repeated so often on this board that we should use the no exercise calories that it starts sounding like an official JUDDD guideline, but that did not come from Dr. Johnson ... he included the exercise numbers for a reason. I personally do not believe lower is always better. I think if your calories go to low for what you are burning, it is possible to negatively affect weight loss or to damage your metabolism. My advice is to experiment to find the numbers that work for you, and I actually think it is preferable long term to follow the highest calories on which you can lose for as long as it works. What works for someone else may not work for you, and exercise really does add another element that does not affect those who don't exercise, so I suggest trying some different percentages to see what is the sweet spot for losing for you.
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote