Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 08:20 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LoriAS
Stats: 218.2/175.4/128
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/17/12
Today is week three and another DD. It was getting difficult, then I came here and read the forum. All of the reminders are so helpful.

Just to read:

1. We all have to experiment and find our own "best" practices.
2. My hunger is not an emergency.
3. Someone else has accomplished this very thing (DD), just yesterday, and survived!
4. I can have whatever I want... tomorrow.

Thank you all supporters of this forum.
LoriAS is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelly59 View Post
This is my second day (UD). Drinking a lot of water and feeling good. I have kept my word and came to forum to let you all know, so far this day is successful. Stayed under calorie count and feeling great. Will keep you posted.
So glad you came back to post! Good for you!!! Hope your DD today goes fabulously, but don't be afraid to post if you're struggling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriAS View Post
Today is week three and another DD. It was getting difficult, then I came here and read the forum. All of the reminders are so helpful.

Just to read:

1. We all have to experiment and find our own "best" practices.
2. My hunger is not an emergency.
3. Someone else has accomplished this very thing (DD), just yesterday, and survived!
4. I can have whatever I want... tomorrow.

Thank you all supporters of this forum.
3 weeks!!! That's fabulous! Is it the DDs that are rough right now? Do let us know some details so we can try to help. The bolded part is my favorite. I have learned that the BEST thing is I don't have to limit any kind of food forever any more. I can have anything I truly want the next UD. Looking at it that way is truly life changing for me. I can bypass just about anything on a DD now. It was when I was on other plans and couldn't EVER have anything again that got depressing. Anyhoo, do come back and post often. It really DOES help! You got this!

Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:52 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: piglet513
Stats: 214/199/130 5' 3 1/4" 34 yrs old
Start Date: 6/17/13-Atkins. 7/6/13-JUDDD
I have been doing Atkins for a few weeks, and recently stumbled upon JUDDD. I love the appetite supression of LC, so if I tried JUDDD, I don't think DD's would be too bad really. Anyone out there doing both LC and JUDDD? What do you think of the combination?
piglet513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:04 AM   #34
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Welcome Chelly, Lori and Piglet! It's great you're posting and taking part here. It's one of the keys to success in my opinion. You'll love getting to know all the wonderful JBs, asking questions, learning just from reading what people are going through. And the support here is second to none. Good luck!
LoCarbGal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:12 AM   #35
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by piglet513 View Post
I have been doing Atkins for a few weeks, and recently stumbled upon JUDDD. I love the appetite supression of LC, so if I tried JUDDD, I don't think DD's would be too bad really. Anyone out there doing both LC and JUDDD? What do you think of the combination?
A number of people combine the 2. JUDDD is just about the calories, so LC would be about the composition of food you consume. JUDDD can be done with the SAD, Paloe, Gluten Free, Vegan- anything. Just count the calories of the foods you consume and do the UD/DD rotation.

I started out LC, but after a month dove head first back into carbs and I lost at the same rate whether I was LC or not. I guess I'm not particularly carb sensitive so it didn't really matter for me. I always believed I was carb sensitive, but in reality I'm more sensitive to the time of day I consume any foods rather than what the foods consist of.

Welcome!
75.8 lbs were evicted in less than 14 months!
Called goal on 2/5/13 at 126.8. I can wear size 4P!

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #36
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Keta
Stats: 210/196/170 5'9" 50 y/o
Start Date: 7/1/2013

Thank you all for the warm welcomes, tips and excellent information !

I made it through myfirst DD yesterday

What helped me was waiting until I felt true hunger before I drank my first shake, and that wasn't until about 7pm. Had another one on my way home from work about midnight, and right before bed I made a nice thick one with added
whipped cream and lots of ice. It kept my belly feeling full, and I slept well.

I think I will stick with this routine for now, and experiment with food later.

So today I get 2500? Wow... I don't even know what that looks like because I have never really counted cals before. (only points on Weight Watchers)

Thanks again for the support!

Also, to my fellow newcomers !

Keta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #37
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
2500 sounds high at your current weight (though I'm not sure what the rest of your stats are). When I started, at around 270 pounds, I got 2300-2400.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:31 AM   #38
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
2500 sounds high at your current weight (though I'm not sure what the rest of your stats are). When I started, at around 270 pounds, I got 2300-2400.
I just checked the calculator on JUDDD website again to make sure I have the number right. I believe the factor that gives me more calories is "moderate exercise 3-4x/wk", whereas "little or none" came out to 1964 cals.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:40 AM   #39
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Trini
Stats: 248/235/165, 5'9"
Start Date: June 27, 2013
Thanks everyone for the kind words of encouragement! It helps to hear what's worked for everyone, and that what works for you may be different.

Yesterday I had a UD and counted calories. I never do this, so it was an eye opener to see how many calories I consumed from just what I thought was a normal day.

I had oatmeal bake with yogurt for bK, and a decaf coffee with HWC
A salad with dressing (and bacon!) for lunch
A foo-foo decaf coffee with white chocolate, not sugar free,
Chips and hummus and a hot dog for dinner

Yea, it was about 800 calories over what I"m allowed. It was the foo-foo coffee.

I wasn't hungry or craving anything, I just ate what I felt was normal.

I don't want to sabatoge myself and I've read various things about UD. I think the book said to eat healthy, but not worry about it.

I'm not having a hard time getting my calories in when I'm eating! And, it will be easy for me to cut calories by adjusting some of the high fat/sugar stuff (which I shouldn't be eating anyways) out of my day.

What's the best way to determine the range for what my UD calorie count should be?
Trini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #40
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keta View Post
I just checked the calculator on JUDDD website again to make sure I have the number right. I believe the factor that gives me more calories is "moderate exercise 3-4x/wk", whereas "little or none" came out to 1964 cals.
We recommend that people start with the "little to no exercise option and after a couple weeks adjust if need be. Unless of course you are training for an iron man or trialtholon, then you will most likely need the extra exercise calories. Most of us do not wish to eat back the calories we have worked hard to burn off- IYKWIM?

I would hate to see you sabatage your efforts by eating 2500 if that will just ofset your DD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trini View Post
Thanks everyone for the kind words of encouragement! It helps to hear what's worked for everyone, and that what works for you may be different.

Yesterday I had a UD and counted calories. I never do this, so it was an eye opener to see how many calories I consumed from just what I thought was a normal day.

I had oatmeal bake with yogurt for bK, and a decaf coffee with HWC
A salad with dressing (and bacon!) for lunch
A foo-foo decaf coffee with white chocolate, not sugar free,
Chips and hummus and a hot dog for dinner

Yea, it was about 800 calories over what I"m allowed. It was the foo-foo coffee.

I wasn't hungry or craving anything, I just ate what I felt was normal.

I don't want to sabatoge myself and I've read various things about UD. I think the book said to eat healthy, but not worry about it.

I'm not having a hard time getting my calories in when I'm eating! And, it will be easy for me to cut calories by adjusting some of the high fat/sugar stuff (which I shouldn't be eating anyways) out of my day.

What's the best way to determine the range for what my UD calorie count should be?
Dr. Johnson does say to just eat normally on your UD, but most of us didn't eat normally at least some of the time or we would not need to lose weight. I think most every one found it helpful to count in the beginning and follow the UD number given on the juddd calculator. You may need to adjust that at some point, but most of us started with the number we got based on our current (start weight) and we are of the general consenus to use the little to no exercise option to start and then assess after a few weeks if we are not losing well.

I'm sure others will weigh in on this, but it sounds like you are making a good choice by logging your food and seeing just were your calories are being used.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #41
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
We recommend that people start with the "little to no exercise option and after a couple weeks adjust if need be. Unless of course you are training for an iron man or trialtholon, then you will most likely need the extra exercise calories. Most of us do not wish to eat back the calories we have worked hard to burn off- IYKWIM?

I would hate to see you sabatage your efforts by eating 2500 if that will just ofset your DD.

Dr. Johnson does say to just eat normally on your UD, but most of us didn't eat normally at least some of the time or we would not need to lose weight. I think most every one found it helpful to count in the beginning and follow the UD number given on the juddd calculator. You may need to adjust that at some point, but most of us started with the number we got based on our current (start weight) and we are of the general consenus to use the little to no exercise option to start and then assess after a few weeks if we are not losing well.

I'm sure others will weigh in on this, but it sounds like you are making a good choice by logging your food and seeing just were your calories are being used.
Carly, on both counts!
LoCarbGal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/108/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by piglet513 View Post
I love the appetite supression of LC, so if I tried JUDDD, I don't think DD's would be too bad really. Anyone out there doing both LC and JUDDD? What do you think of the combination?
Pami is combining LC and JUDDD iirc as are some others. (Pami posts her carb and calorie counts in the daily UD/DD threads which is why I recall her combination.)

and I hope that you find a JUDDD schedule works well with whatever WOE suits you best.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #43

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Piglet and Lori.

Lori and are are friends already from another thread. Good to see you here.

I have never used the exercise calories, seems pointless eating back all that hard work, as Carly says. I was advised against it by the experts here when I started this more than 18 months ago and it has been easy enough to manage without them generally.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #44
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
I have never used the exercise calories, seems pointless eating back all that hard work, as Carly says. I was advised against it by the experts here when I started this more than 18 months ago and it has been easy enough to manage without them generally.
Makes alot of sense !
Thank you both, I will shoot for 1960 cals on my up days.
Glad I got this settled early on.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:31 PM   #45

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: smallerizing
Stats: 196/185/140
Start Date: 6-18-13 JUDDD
Quote:
Piglet and Lori.

Ditto what Carly said! Thank you both for pointing out that we don't need to necessarily eat that whole calorie allotment. Mine is 2090 on an UD, and it seems so massive! I drink juice and eat cheese just for the high calories, but it's tough to get back into the habit of eating rich foods again.
I just got the book, but I have corneal dystrophy so it will be hard to read in a hurry. All these suggestions are so helpful!

Lori, those little nuggets were spot-on! Good luck in your weightloss journey!

So, what happened to my 60% day? I stepped on the scale today after 2 UD's and a DD, and was down another 1.4 pounds! I was so encouraged by this that I decided to continue the DD as long as I could today, then eat normally this evening. I'm kind of hungry, but I am about to bake some skinless chicken breasts for dinner, so I may not get more than my 419 calories in today. Then tomorrow is the fourth, so I will celebrate my 40th engagement anniversary with my sweetheart in STYLE!
Old 07-03-2013, 03:06 PM   #47
Rho
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rho
Stats: 291.4/restart 250/current 231/next 230
WOE: Atkinsish
Start Date: 6/11 293 Atkinsish restart 6/14 250
New to this and figured that using the easy exercise 3 times a week (I do minimum of 5 days) it says I get 417 on DD and 2085 UP days - can I just round that up to 500 DD and down to 2000 UD .... That will make it easier to track for me and way easier mentally on DD for me
Rho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #48

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
You can try those numbers for a couple of weeks and see how it works. If it's going too slowly for you, I'd suggest using the "no exercise" option, as so many of us do. It may work just fine at those numbers.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: smallerizing
Stats: 196/185/140
Start Date: 6-18-13 JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rho View Post
New to this and figured that using the easy exercise 3 times a week (I do minimum of 5 days) it says I get 417 on DD and 2085 UP days - can I just round that up to 500 DD and down to 2000 UD .... That will make it easier to track for me and way easier mentally on DD for me
You don't want to round UP on DD. I have similar allotment and I round mine down to 400. Usually I end up with only 300 or less, because the goal is to have as wide a calorie spread between UD and DD as possible.

I'm new at this so I'll let the experienced JUDDDers correct me if I'm wrong. Good luck!
smallerizing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #50
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
You can try those numbers for a couple of weeks and see how it works. If it's going too slowly for you, I'd suggest using the "no exercise" option, as so many of us do. It may work just fine at those numbers.
Like Dawn said you can give those numbers a shot, but most of us have had the most success using the no exercise regardless of how much exercise we do.

We are meant to be physically active and our bodies adapt very well to what they do in a day. Most of us and many online trackers/ calculators really over estimate what most of our bodies actually burn doing any giving activity.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #51
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: chelly59
Stats: 211.8/199.4/175 54yrs
WOE: JUDD
Start Date: January 4, 2014
I am on my third day - second DD. It is going well and I just wanted to post my results. I know it is just three days but I really do not miss the unnecessary junk food I would have had. No candy, no chocolate-covered cashews, absolutely no junk food. :jumping: . One day at a time. Feeling real good!!!! Thank you all for having this forum to post.

Happy 4th of July to all!!
chelly59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #52
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
I am on my third day - second DD. It is going well and I just wanted to post my results. I know it is just three days but I really do not miss the unnecessary junk food I would have had. No candy, no chocolate-covered cashews, absolutely no junk food. :jumping: . One day at a time. Feeling real good!!!! Thank you all for having this forum to post.

Yay Chelly! I know you are working it!
Old 07-03-2013, 08:05 PM   #53
Rho
Senior LCF Member

The idea of 400 calories scares the pants off me - but 500 seems doable - maybe I can start with those numbers and work towards the lower numbers if I want to go faster ..

Thanks - trying to get that last bit off before deciding where I want to stop .. And with a method I can enjoy some things on that I have deprived myself of the past 2 years
Old 07-03-2013, 08:26 PM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LoriAS
Stats: 218.2/175.4/128
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/17/12
Quote:
Piglet and Lori.

Thanks Kissa! Good to be here.
LoriAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:14 AM   #55
Rho
Senior LCF Member

So if you all are doing 400 on DD what specifically are you eating - I know there is a DD recipe thread but I need to have examples of just for that amount - and have it be something you can feed the hubs too without cooking and not eating what you made - I cannot do that if I cook it I need to be able to eat some of it .... That would totally set me up for a fail
Old 07-04-2013, 04:36 AM   #56
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
The idea of 400 calories scares the pants off me - but 500 seems doable - maybe I can start with those numbers and work towards the lower numbers if I want to go faster ..

Thanks - trying to get that last bit off before deciding where I want to stop .. And with a method I can enjoy some things on that I have deprived myself of the past 2 years
The first 2 weeks on DDs you can go up to 500 if need be. The try to drop down to your 20% number, but some people keep their DDs higher and still lose.

Quote:
So if you all are doing 400 on DD what specifically are you eating - I know there is a DD recipe thread but I need to have examples of just for that amount - and have it be something you can feed the hubs too without cooking and not eating what you made - I cannot do that if I cook it I need to be able to eat some of it .... That would totally set me up for a fail
I keep my DDs under 250, but many yogurts are 80-90 calories per serving also veggies are a good, filling choice. 1 ounce of cucumber is 4 calories so 5oz is only 20 calories and you could spread some laughing cow cheese on that cucumber for a total of 55 calories. PB2 is low calorie (45 cal for 2 T) and you could have that on celery which is also 4 calories an ounce or on 2 wasa light crackers for 60 calories. I'll post a link with a bunch of great ideas.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:36 AM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
So if you all are doing 400 on DD what specifically are you eating - I know there is a DD recipe thread
Rho.

Have you taken a look at the daily DD threads where people post their menus and plans? Although, tbh, I post what I eat there, and my DH is slightly different (I recently adopted an anti-migraine WOE within a JUDDD schedule so I'm having to consume MCT oil and my DH doesn't need this).

Are both you and your DH following a 400kcal DD? (My DH has an extra 100kcal or so more than I do.) Anyhow, he could have what you're having, but add an extra hard-boiled egg with a dab of mustard to make up 75-100kcals, depending on the size of the egg.

Sample:

B: Poached egg with spinach. 90-110kcals, depending on size of egg.

L: Vegetable soup/salad with a scant topping of Parmesan cheese. 180kcals

D: 2oz tuna (tinned it water) with vegetables and Shirataki noodles, seasoned with a low-cal chicken broth powder or other seasoning. 100kcals

If you don't like soup, then you could swap that for 2oz lean ham, a wedge of Light Laughing Cow cheese and a couple of Wasa or Magic Pop crackers.

If you don't like the noodles, then you might cut noodles from vegetables such as zucchini.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:37 AM   #58
Big Yapper!!!!

What is the most bang for 100 calories?

I think this link has a lot of good ideas.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:56 AM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I am on my third day - second DD. It is going well and I just wanted to post my results....No candy, no chocolate-covered cashews, absolutely no junk food. :jumping: . One day at a time...

Good going. You did make me think, "Hm, I've never had a chocolate-covered cashew". I tend to associate cashews with Asian food (either Cantonese or some South Indian dishes) rather than sweet stuff (odd how this varies from one country to another).

Enjoy your July 4 - which looks as if it falls on an UD.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:02 AM   #60
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote: