Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 07:18 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tandc90
Overeating on UDs?

I was on prednisone temporarily so that could be it, but I did notice myself going a bit crazy and eating a lot on some UDs. I'm on a 5:2 rotation.

I've seen people mention this, but I thought I'd make a thread for it as I'd really like some encouragement that this will settle down.
tandc90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2013, 07:37 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 267.6/257/140
WOE: JUDDD/Paul McKenna
Start Date: 9 Nov 2014
I think it does, well okay, for me it does! I started with UUAAD at the start of JUDDD, but now they're less frequent.
MintQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:06 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I had the same problem until I started doing Fast-5 both DD's and UD's. fasting until my eating window starts really reigned in the binge behavior.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:13 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Macci
Counting and recording calories helps me keep better control on UDs. Yesterday though I did have a bit of an UUAD and I think it was because of my old pattern of grazing/snacking and because I wasn't diligently writing things down. I also noticed a bit of a "hmm what should I eat now, might as well eat now" attitude creeping in which I didn't like. I will need to watch that.
Macci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:16 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CarolinaCoast
Stats: 155/124.2/122-125
WOE: Chronic Experimenter
I'm fighting this, too. I've discovered that I'm ok until I have some sugar, and then I find it hard to stop eating. As much as I love being able to have sugar and still maintain my weight, I may need to cut it out completely since I always seem to go overboard with it. Other carbs don't do this to me, only sugar.
CarolinaCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:41 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
This isn't a particularly big problem (yet anyways) for me, but wanted to say that prednisone definitely didn't help you, tan! One of my teens is asthmatic and will eat the house down when he's on prednisone. (and he's not my huge eater)
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:41 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kimmietoo
Stats: 350/269.2/??? 58 yo, hypothyroid age 8; menopausal
WOE: start JUDDD 01/24/13 at 310
Start Date: July 2009
I have to limit carbs or I will switch into UUAD mode very easily. This isn't JUDDD specific for me; it is a behavior pattern that affects me regardless of whether I am on any diet or not. With that being said, it seems that doing straight LC would be all that was needed for me to lose weight. What I have found to be true is that I can maintain weight with it, but it doesn't allow me to drop any meaningful pounds. Combining low to moderate carb with JUDDD is what works for me. I also fast until the evening time on DD's as I find one meal to be more satisfactory than 3 tiny ones.

What's so great is that we are all able to tweak JUDDD over time as we progress to make it work best for us as individuals. I don't think that I will ever not use some form of IF. The health benefits from it for me are profound.

Kimmie
Kimmietoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I've had my share of UUADs. For me they center around three triggers (that I've identified so far):

PMS
Alcohol - not even that much, but it does help break down my resolve
Peanut butter by the spoonful

Very often, I've noticed, these three things go together. Not actually at the same exact time (peanut butter margarita anyone? Bleh) But like in the same evening.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:48 PM   #9

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
I've had my share of UUADs. For me they center around three triggers (that I've identified so far):

PMS
Alcohol - not even that much, but it does help break down my resolve
Peanut butter by the spoonful

Very often, I've noticed, these three things go together. Not actually at the same exact time (peanut butter margarita anyone? Bleh) But like in the same evening.
I made a shake with chocolate PB2 (almond milk, gluc, Splenda and ice) last night,
and I was thinking that it might go well with some vanilla or whipped cream flavored
vodka (or chocolate or vanilla flavored PP) on an UD. Make that when you're PMS'ing
and there's your three-in-one!
Pami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
UUAD's are just a part of my life. I do a bunch of them and compensate with super low DD's . This has worked for me all through my WLM and in maintenance too. Love my summer ice cream too much. Not suggesting anyone else approach JUDDD in this manner but it can work with high, higher and highest UD's. As long as the DD's are low, lower and lowest.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FairyWren
Stats: 178/136/124 5'3"
WOE: LC JUDDD
Over the last 8 weeks i've had a fair few UUAADs and even had 3 in a row recently after a really social weekend but i've stuck to my allocated DDs faithfully and i think that's really helped - i've lost well, dropping 21 pounds over those 8 weeks. Like others seem to do i only have one meal a day on DDs and quite often only have lunch and dinner, no breakfast on an UD
FairyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Anonymousity
Stats: 194.0/?/115
WOE: Low Carb
I struggled with UUAD for the first few weeks. They sadly turned into binges so my weight bounced around a lot. Finally I was able to get it under control and I haven't had one in a few weeks now. So hopefully things will improve for you!
Anonymousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

I thought this thread had a few really good posts.

I Can't Stop Binge Eating. What's Happening?! =(
Old 07-02-2013, 06:29 AM   #14

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/187/164 5'8"
I find that leaving over 1/2 my calories for the evening truly helps me. If I LOAD up at lunch, it's all done. I end up going well over. What I typically do on UD's is 300c breakfast and around 500c for lunch. That leaves me 1100c for the evening.
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Goner
Stats: 184/158/157 restart 11-1-14 175.5/
Start Date: May 2013
That's what I do on an UD also - leave most of my calories and carbs for dinner. On a DD - I have to eat little meals spread out or I lose energy - mostly protein.
Goner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everyone. You know, carbs do it for me, not sugar. I love desserts but I generally don't overeat them anymore. Carbs though...noodles or bread....I'll hurt myself!

I think I'll give this a wait-and-see trial then start being a bit more careful on my UDs if it continues. Or actually if it prevents weight loss. If I still lose I'm fine with lots of UUAADs, lol. Yep, got no problem with them. ;D
Old 07-03-2013, 02:21 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
tbh, I don't always know what people mean by UUAAD. Some people say they've had one if they go 200kcals or so over their daily allotment. For others, it may be several thousand kcals, so I suppose it all depends on what people mean by it.

What's interesting about this is that if people are still losing with UUAADs (and Adi says that she did which is why she likes low DDs and others report similarly) then they're not eating an excessive number of kcals relative to their needs.

They may be pushing the boundaries of the metabolism and keeping its needs at a higher number which gives more wiggle room later if it's necessary to decrease the kcal numbers. It may also help people stay more active and to use up more energy in Non-Exercise Associated Thermogenesis (NEAT)

Last edited by SlowSure; 07-03-2013 at 02:24 AM..
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:05 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Interesting point SS, thanks. Keeping the engine revved up? I'm definitely low rev!

Similarly, on DDs, some people find having a lot of low calorie bulk is sustaining. Others find they do better with small quantities of high calorie-dense food. It shows how different we all are. Metabolism certainly can't be conveniently fitted into a one-size-fits-all box!

I believe what we eat plays a factor, despite JUDDD being about calories. There are trigger foods but there's also the fact that if your body feels short of vitamins and minerals, it will keep telling you it's hungry, no matter how much you've eaten. Unfortunately when that happens, we're more likely to grab quick comfort food rather than go make ourselves something nourishing.

Taking of triggers. Tandc, I'm with you on the nice bread! Also, don't leave me near an open box of good quality chocolates or bag of chips.
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:04 AM   #19
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Tandc you said you are doing 2 DD a week. This will not give you a lot of cushion to lose if UDs are high. When I switched from EOD rotations to 5:2 for maintenance my losses ground to a halt. My calculated UD is about 1580 or so, but with 5 UDs I tend to be all over the place with ball park between 1100-1900 on a rare occasion. My DDs are usually never over 250. All this to say that with 5 UDs most of them should not be UUADs since you only have 2 DDs to balance that out. Adi may chime in, but that is why she does eod in maintenance so she can enjoy her higher UDs.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:27 AM   #20
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I do super low DD's to counteract the UUAD's. I love my Blue Bell during the summer. BUT the DD's are worth it to me to maintain and still enjoy the summer treats. Watermelon will be ripe soon in my garden and I will enjoy that treat instead of ice cream for awhile.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:28 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for that info, Carly. I hadn't thought of it that way and will definitely keep it in mind. I do have a lot to lose (around 100 lbs) so I may be able to get away with it for now. I'm not intentionally setting out to go crazy on UDs rather I'd just like to avoid having to monitor myself (if possible). I guess what I'm doing is trying to keep this as undiet-like as possible. If I start feeling too restricted-deprived-monitored I'll start obsessing and binging. I've gotten over most of my binge eating issues so I'm trying to be very careful about watching myself psychologically.

I also wonder if it's a blood sugar thing. I actually have only overeaten the first UD after a DD and then things settle down. But I don't know enough about blood sugar to know if it would affect me like that the next day.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
tbh, I don't always know what people mean by UUAAD. Some people say they've had one if they go 200kcals or so over their daily allotment. For others, it may be several thousand kcals, so I suppose it all depends on what people mean by it.
That's funny as I'd not thought to wonder about this. I was interpreting UUAADs as my own definition: eating when you aren't hungry. All day.

I don't count calories so I can't say if or by how much I went over my 2000 budget. Two-hundred over is just a single Up. Two-thousand calories is more than an Up-Up and maybe an Up-Up-Up and Away Day.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:01 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCoast View Post
I thought this thread had a few really good posts.

I Can't Stop Binge Eating. What's Happening?! =(
I forgot to thank you for this link. I read it through and lo and behold there I was in that thread too, lol. Seriously, there's a comment on that thread I'm going to copy and keep on my computer because it's so filled with wisdom.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:28 AM   #24
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
So the first thing is that prednisone is an evil, evil drug while simultaneously helping you heal when under major attack. It gives your appetite wings!!!

So sorry you have had this experience!!! ((hugs))

Like Ouis, my UDs are controlled through my eating window on UDs and also by my low carb state. If I eat high glycemic carbs...forget it about it...
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:26 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

This article may explain a reason why overeating on UDs is so common.

BUSM researchers show dieters can experience neurobiological similarities of drug addicts
Old 07-13-2013, 06:38 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grammyw/kitties
Stats: I am 170.2
WOE: I am starting IF leaning towards locarb
Start Date: Starting Dec 20,2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macci View Post
Counting and recording calories helps me keep better control on UDs. Yesterday though I did have a bit of an UUAD and I think it was because of my old pattern of grazing/snacking and because I wasn't diligently writing things down. I also noticed a bit of a "hmm what should I eat now, might as well eat now" attitude creeping in which I didn't like. I will need to watch that.
Boy don't I get this!!!
grammyw/kitties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:41 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Thanks CC, very interesting. I can see how that could easily apply to normal calorie restricted dieters. But the rats had 5 consecutive days of restriction, so I don't see it should necessarily apply to EOD JUDDDers. The so-called "palatable foods" are well-known triggers, even without prior restriction. Breast milk is also high fat, high sugar so it's what we are biologically programmed to crave. Tricky one!
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:41 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grammyw/kitties
Stats: I am 170.2
WOE: I am starting IF leaning towards locarb
Start Date: Starting Dec 20,2012
I SO don't feel so alone. Thanks to whoever started this post. Hope we can keep it going
grammyw/kitties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:03 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossyliz View Post
Thanks CC, very interesting. I can see how that could easily apply to normal calorie restricted dieters. But the rats had 5 consecutive days of restriction, so I don't see it should necessarily apply to EOD JUDDDers. The so-called "palatable foods" are well-known triggers, even without prior restriction. Breast milk is also high fat, high sugar so it's what we are biologically programmed to crave. Tricky one!
I was thinking it may apply to some Juddders since some of us (like me) have a tendency to go for the highly palatable foods (sugar) on UDs.