Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 04:30 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FairyWren
Stats: 178/136/124 5'3"
WOE: LC JUDDD
Anyone who has PCOS doing JUDDD?

I mentioned on the daily chat thread for June that my oldest daughter has joined me on JUDDD, i also have another daughter, Kat, who is 26 who needs to lose 56 pounds. So with 2 of us now on JUDDD we might try to persuade Kat to join us...

Kat has PCOS and has been told that she won't be given fertility treatment until she gets to 168 pounds or below. She's 5 feet 4 inches and has lost 14 pounds since the beginning of the year by restricting calories.

I'm wondering if there is anyone else on here who has PCOS and experience of losing weight using JUDDD, 4:3, 5:2 and/or IF and could advise how it went for you. Did you low carb? Would low carb without the JUDDD be beneficial? I know everyone is different but i would just like to support her in however she chooses to progress.

FairyWren is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2013, 07:18 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I have no experience with PCOS, but I'm pretty sure Carly and Tanya have it and have done well. Hopefully they, or others, will pop in to share their experiences.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:49 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Dawn
Old 06-30-2013, 08:45 AM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I have PCOS. I obviously was able to lose well. The last hormone labs I had done was not the best, but as far as losing weight I didn't feel my progress was effected by PCOS. I think Dee has PCOS, too. I you search it there has been quite a few threads. I'll try to link one or two.

Try this one PCOS on JUDDD?

Last edited by Carly; 06-30-2013 at 08:48 AM..
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:44 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Thanks very much for that Carly, that's good news.

And thanks for the link, i'll have a look - usually i would have done a search straight away but my broadband is down at the moment and the mobile signal via my iPad is so slow it's driving me craaaazy!
Old 06-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

No problem. There have been other threads so when your internet is better you can search them out.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:36 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/212/147 or size 8/10
WOE: 2000/1000 rotations, moderate carb
Start Date: 11/3/14; JUDDD 7/11/12
I have PCOS and regular JUDDD has been great for me. I have also had fertility struggles because of PCOS. Am I understanding you correctly that Kat is required to lose weight before she will be allowed to get fertility treatment? That's what it sounds like, and if that is true I am mad at them. I understand recommending it as something that will help -- but not requiring. I had successful fertility treatment with PCOS at over 200 pounds.

Just losing weight in any way will help fertility, but a low carb diet has been shown to help fertility in PCOS even without weight loss. So Kat could do low carb, LC/JUDDD, or just JUDDD ... whatever she thinks sounds the best. Luckily she doesn't have so much to lose (compared to many) to be "acceptable" for fertility treatment. I wish her all the best! Youth is on her side.

Last edited by calichris; 06-30-2013 at 10:44 AM..
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:39 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Hi Christina and thanks for your comments. Yes, you are correct in thinking that Kat has been told she has to lose weight before being considered for fertility treatment, via the NHS here in the UK the treatment will be free but yes she has to lose weight to get it! Oh and they didn't even give her any advice on how to lose weight - mind you it would have probably been all the usual low-fat, high carb rubbish that gets spouted by the medical professionals in this country. Having the fertility treatment privately and paying is sadly not an option

I'll be visiting with Kat in a few weeks so can sit down and have a good chat with her about all the available weight loss options. I'll have a look through all the info i can find on here and elsewhere then it will be up to her i guess...
Old 06-30-2013, 12:33 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I guess I understand the rationale behind it - chances of success are greater with weight loss - but on the other hand, weight loss is extremely difficult with PCOS because of all the wacky hormone issues. I was fortunate that I had health insurance that was free through my employer that covered all of my fertility tests and medications without more than a nominal co-payment fee, although I didn't have to do anything high tech like IVF.

I lost weight very well with low carb, but I couldn't keep it up for more than a few months, whereas my one year JUDDDiversary is right around the corner. If Kat feels the same way about low carb, she could try moderate carb JUDDD. That's what I would do if I wanted to get pregnant ... still getting some benefit from being lower carb, but with more flexibility and the ability to be higher carb once in a while without derailing the weight loss efforts.

Last edited by calichris; 06-30-2013 at 12:35 PM..
Old 06-30-2013, 01:12 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KaylaNoel
I have PCOS, and I am trying to keep to a low carb diet, but it is so hard because I am so picky. I am new here, so I hope you don't mind me asking, what is JUDDD? I am also ttc, my doctors told me I am overweight, but my doctors (obgyn and endocrinologist) are helping me to conceive.
KaylaNoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:21 PM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaNoel View Post
I have PCOS, and I am trying to keep to a low carb diet, but it is so hard because I am so picky. I am new here, so I hope you don't mind me asking, what is JUDDD? I am also ttc, my doctors told me I am overweight, but my doctors (obgyn and endocrinologist) are helping me to conceive.
JUDDD/The Alternate Day Diet is a calorie cycling plan by Dr. Johnson. Read some of the sticky threads at the top of the JUDDD forum for more info and !
Old 06-30-2013, 01:26 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KaylaNoel
Thank you!
KaylaNoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:37 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaNoel View Post
KaylaNoel, JUDDD is based on alternating calorie intake -- very low calorie one day, maintenance calories the next -- and has health benefits as well as being a very livable lifestyle for weight loss and maintenance. You can eat anything you want on JUDDD, so it might be worth looking into if you're struggling with the low carb options. Plus, you can still keep JUDDD lower carb if you want. Studies are showing that intermittent fasting increases insulin sensitivity which is good for PCOS.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:05 PM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I don't know if there's been any research with regards to JUDDD and TTC, though. I don't think it would be bad, exactly, but if you did conceive, I think you'd need more stable calories throughout your pregnancy.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:59 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I don't know if there's been any research with regards to JUDDD and TTC, though. I don't think it would be bad, exactly, but if you did conceive, I think you'd need more stable calories throughout your pregnancy.
I agree with Dawn that an intermittent fasting diet is probably not best for pregnancy (but consult your doctor because I'm not one). And frustratingly, PCOS is not yet well understood. The theory is that insulin resistance leads to a hormonal disruption that prevents ovulation. Weight loss, and low carb diets, help and sometimes even restore ovulation, probably because they help with the insulin resistance. Weight loss helps anyway, but since studies are showing intermittent fasting also improves insulin resistance, I'm speculating it has potential to help on that front as well for PCOS women, but I don't know of any studies that prove this, and some people on the net feel that fasting actually interferes with fertility in women, so you might want to look into that. I think PCOS women are in a different category altogether, though.

Last edited by calichris; 06-30-2013 at 09:08 PM..
Old 07-01-2013, 12:20 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calichris View Post

I lost weight very well with low carb, but I couldn't keep it up for more than a few months, whereas my one year JUDDDiversary is right around the corner. If Kat feels the same way about low carb, she could try moderate carb JUDDD. That's what I would do if I wanted to get pregnant ... still getting some benefit from being lower carb, but with more flexibility and the ability to be higher carb once in a while without derailing the weight loss efforts.
Thank you Christina, your comments and advice are much appreciated