Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2013, 07:32 AM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I Guess I'm Going to Have to Exercise

LOL, how silly is that in a WL forum. Most people would be like duh! I have watched the majority of you slim down quickly with no exercise and I wanted that for myself too. I guess I could restrict even further than I am and get better results, but I think I'm going to try regular walking again, and *maybe* weight training twice a week. I've stuck to dieting all these months, so another change to achieve my goals shouldn't be too difficult to implement, right? Wish me luck!
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2013, 08:00 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Putz
Stats: 160/155/125
Start Date: re-started September 2014
I was just reading about twirling. Like you did when you were a kid. Supposed to help the endocrine system and improve weight loss efforts. Just a thought.
Putz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:04 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
I'm with you girl! Not really for weight loss, because exercise has never helped me lose weight even when training for a half marathon. But I went shopping the other night, and while it's great to be trying on size mediums now, under the lighting of the dressing room I could see how...loose things are. Just not firm the way they used to be. I know that's some excess skin from all the lost pounds, but still. Got to firm up.

Weight training sounds great! You'll gain muscle, which always looks better and firmer. Good luck!
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:36 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MrsAndi
Stats: 174/149/140
Good luck! send some of that motivation my way. I need to be exercising too but...I'm lazy! Have you thought about doing some pilates to tone up? I've seen others get some great results. I'll be starting a pilates program next month....
MrsAndi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:47 AM   #5

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I believe Gary Taube's documentation and reasoning on why exercise doesn't help with weight loss, but it is so good for you I sure won't suggest against it!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:54 AM   #6
GME
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/199/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/LC/Gluten Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedee View Post
I'm with you girl! Not really for weight loss, because exercise has never helped me lose weight even when training for a half marathon. But I went shopping the other night, and while it's great to be trying on size mediums now, under the lighting of the dressing room I could see how...loose things are. Just not firm the way they used to be. I know that's some excess skin from all the lost pounds, but still. Got to firm up.
I have the same experience with running. It just seems to suck everything up and back closer to where it belongs.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:20 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
When I lost weight the last time, I was doing a precor weight training circuit & walking every day. I can tell you that I looked WAY better last time than I do this time. Things were much firmer & prettier, plus I loved the mental "release" that walking gave me. If you can do it, I think that's great LG!

As for restricting "more than" you are, I'm not sure how much that is, but it has to be something you can live with. KWIM? I know from experience that if I start to feel too restricted, I get resentful, and that's the start of a very bad string of events. I know you're frustrated losing slowly, but only you know what changes you can realistically make without throwing the towel in. Does that make sense? So many people have noticed your weight loss, you must be totally reshaping your body while losing slowly. To me, that sounds like a win-win. LOVE YOU!!!!

Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #8

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/187/164 5'8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedee View Post

Weight training sounds great! You'll gain muscle, which always looks better and firmer. Good luck!
I was the same way as you. I was running 40+ miles a week and my weight didn't budge. I now exercise for the wonderful benefits it gives me. What I don't do anymore is expect it to help me lose weight. That has never, never worked for me....even when I was running a bunch.
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:45 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CarolinaCoast
Stats: 155/124.2/122-125
WOE: Chronic Experimenter
I admire you LG and anybody else that does it. I'm totally allergic to exercise! Have been giving some thought to weight training for maintaining muscle mass, but still in the thinking stage.
CarolinaCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Moderate carb JUDDD
Start Date: February 2010
I was kinda feeling desperate when the scale starting going up when I started riding my bike regularly. First thing I did was cut out the snacky snacks (again). At the moment I am just concentrating on maintaining my weight. Although I would still love to lose the layer of stubborn belly fat so I can actually SEE my fine abs
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
Start Date: March, 2009
Cindy, you can see by my postings in the exercise thread that I'm not a perfectionist with exercise, and don't get it in as regularly as I'd like. (Mike Planelman seems to be our consistency Star right now - yay, Mike.)

But if the clothes fitting, and feeling comfortable in our own skin are the ultimate goals, I would say exercise has always been great help for me. Weight loss planning and exercise together strike a helpful balance, mentally/emotionally. Success in one inspires, and encourages attention to the other. It's like 2 chances to identify progress.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:20 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
Quote:
I was the same way as you. I was running 40+ miles a week and my weight didn't budge. I now exercise for the wonderful benefits it gives me. What I don't do anymore is expect it to help me lose weight. That has never, never worked for me....even when I was running a bunch.
A friend of mine, who is a personal trainer, said that the way to think of it is that you change your diet to lose weight, and you exercise to gain muscle. But I also like someone's sig that says something like they chose their WOE to get to a smaller size of clothing and exercise to look good without clothes.
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:30 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/120/118-123
Cindy- that's a brilliant idea!!! I love walking and I feel it helps with weight loss. Also, strength training does wonders for my body fat decrease.
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:36 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
I believe Gary Taube's documentation and reasoning on why exercise doesn't help with weight loss, but it is so good for you I sure won't suggest against it!
I read this and I don't believe it. We are not talking about very strenuous exercise here. Cindy is talking about walking and strength training. I think these two combined with the right diet should be great for weight loss.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:42 AM   #15
GME

Exercise doesn't help me lose weight exactly, but it does help me stay on plan.

An evening walk keeps me out of the kitchen when my worst snacking time hits. If I am training for a race or something, the training keeps me focused on my goals which keeps me focused on my eating plan. If I am planning a backpacking trip in a couple of months, it sure would be nice to be down 5 lbs- that would be like someone else carrying my tent for me so I am more careful with my diet.

Making improvements in other areas keeps my mind off the scale when it won't cooperate too- for example- the scale hasn't budged in 10 days, but I just ran my best mile time.

7/27/14- Wharf to Wharf (6 miles)- I won! 9/14/14- Title 9K- I won! 11/9/14- Surfer's Path 10K- I won! 12/7/14- Jinglebell Rock 5K- I won!
2/7/15 - Together Love Run 5K, 3/22/15- She is Beautiful 10K, 4/12/15- Santa Cruz Half Marathon

*My definition of win: I didn't quit, didn't throw up, and they didn't close the course on me.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:42 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobelowcarber View Post
I read this and I don't believe it. We are not talking about very strenuous exercise here. Cindy is talking about walking and strength training. I think these two combined with the right diet should be great for weight loss.
Sure worked for me before! I felt great, too!

Ack, now I have guilt! Thanks a lot LG!
Old 06-28-2013, 10:45 AM   #17
GME

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobelowcarber View Post
I think what Gary Taubes writes about weight loss is true for metabolically messed-up people.

We all know people who can drop 10 lbs by hitting the gym and cutting down on beer. Those "normal" people have normal metabolisms. Just because it is true for some, does not make it true for all.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:47 AM   #18

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
Last time I lost a significant amount, I added in walking 30 minutes every morning before work, and sometimes on the weekend too. It helped me bust through a long stall, and it did wonders for my mental attitude. I think I had about 50 pounds to lose when I started, so in another 10 pounds or so, I should probably start doing it again. It's just so hot here in the summer, even in the morning. My plan is to start walking when it cools down a bit - maybe September. By then I should be at least 10 pounds lighter! Hopefully more!

Cindy, I think your plan is a good one. It may or may not help with losses, but it most definitely will help you tone and tighten up. Looking thinner is better than weighing less in my book!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Moderate carb JUDDD
Start Date: February 2010
When I went to Jenny Craig and lost 30 lbs in 3 months back in 1998, I was following their diet plan and at the same time working in an extremely fast paced factory for 8 hours a day, 6 days a week. I think that contributed to my fast weight loss. Course I was 15 years younger then too.

I like the quote (don't remember who's sig it was in) about the "dieting to look cute in clothes, exercising to look good without them"
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:29 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kimmietoo
Stats: 350/269.2/??? 58 yo, hypothyroid age 8; menopausal
WOE: start JUDDD 01/24/13 at 310
Start Date: July 2009
The last time that I successfully lost a major amount of weight (105 lbs), over 20 years ago, I had added in a walking program of 2 to 3 miles a day. Not only did it help me with losing, it also kept me from gaining it back for about 5 years. Then I had life events occur and gained all of it back and more over the next 15. sigh.

For me, the exercise is as much of a mental assist as it is a physical one. I am looking forward to adding in rebounding and walking, recumbent cycling and possibly others in the near future.

Since I am confident that intermittent fasting is going to be my lifelong WOL, I am not overly concerned with slow losses. With my age and metabolic issues, I am delighted to finally find something that works at all!

Cindy, at a minimum it will make you feel better as well as stronger. You are doing just wonderfully and you are cute as a button. (love the AVI).

Kimmie
Kimmietoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #21

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I'm another who doesn't lose with exercise, but I like doing it now that I've found something I enjoy. I hope it gives you the kick-start you want.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:55 PM   #22
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks for all this great input!! I've been sitting here reading it while eating pimento cheese and ritz crackers. I'm stuffed!

I used to walk about 3 miles a day every day, and also exercise classes at the gym and I was pretty slim (125-135). I didn't really diet either, but kinda watched what I ate most of the time. About the time I quit exercising completely, I began to pack on the pounds...it was not the only contributing factor, by far, but I do believe my body will respond to exercise. Now I just have to find the motivation!!!

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Old 06-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
I have come to hate NOT exercising. Even if I just go to the park and walk around in circles (there is a big loop that people walk around that is exactly 1 mile). I just listen to some music and walk. It's so relaxing. You don't really have to go to the gym and run on a treadmill, which I hate, but some form of movement is good for you. Even if you don't lose anything more quickly there is no reason NOT to exercise.
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:34 PM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Now I just have to find the motivation!!!
The most difficult part is starting, then you good get hooked on the endorphins that exercise provides and it becomes so easy.
Just start walking 10 min a day and increase the time every day.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:36 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yep, starting is the hardest part! I may be joining you soon, LG. Wish we could walk around together, what fun that would be!
Old 06-28-2013, 04:01 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

What got me started is a bunch of people said they were going walking on Facebook so I said I would join them one day. After that I started going on my own. Is there anyone you can go walking with?
Old 06-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #27
Big Yapper!!!!

Bf walks with me sometimes. I could probably find a walking partner at work, during the regular semester. Right now we have short lunches to make up for the extra day off.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:34 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiLi914
Stats: 270/215/145
Start Date: 2/16/2013
I actually find that I hate exercising with friends. I'm always in the zone when I'm at the gym and outside walking. I find it to be my own little pampering time.

Whatever you choose to do Cindy, I think just getting started will be beneficial for you and don't set yourself up for failure. If two or three days a week works for you then that's awesome. As long as you get out there you've accomplished so much.

Good luck!!
LiLi914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

I found that I didn't like walking with those people so I go on my own now but it initially got me motivated to go out and do it. I saw these people post on Facebook that they always go walking at the park so I thought that sounded nice. If I didn't with them the first time I probably wouldn't have gone at all.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:20 PM   #30

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLi914 View Post
I actually find that I hate exercising with friends. I'm always in the zone when I'm at the gym and outside walking. I find it to be my own little pampering time.
I'm the same way Lisa. I want to be alone to do my exercising. If I'm doing weights or some kind of strength move I want to be able to concentrate on my form. If I'm walking, I want to just be alone with my own thoughts and let it be a calming experience. We're all so different!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote