Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CarolinaCoast
Stats: 155/124.2/122-125
WOE: Chronic Experimenter
Double DDs

There may have been a thread about this already somewhere, but I'm too lazy to look it up. Anyway, I've noticed some mentioning trying it. I'd love to hear your experiences and whether or not it works for you.

Some say it isn't wise to try it. I'm interested in your opinions as well.

I tried it once and fell into an out-of-control evening on the second day. Despite that, I'm curious to try it again to tweak rotations. All comments welcome.
CarolinaCoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I have fairly easy DDs, but it's just not worth it for me to try two in a row. I've lost very well without doubling up.

Pat (SoHappy) experimented in the past. I'll try to find that thread. IIRC, she didn't notice any real benefit from doing it. Loss was about the same either way.

BRB.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #3

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I couldn't find it. Perhaps one of our more savvy searchers will.

Anyway, I think it's really individual. I'm a firm believer in alternate days, but probably because that's what worked so well for me. I also feel like if you mess with the plan too much, it could backfire. Or it may not. You won't know until you try. I also, admittedly, have obsessive/compulsive tendencies, and don't want to restrict two days in a row. With the way my mind works, if it wasn't too difficult, I'd probably want to go for three, then four. You get the picture.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:06 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sunshinegirl44
Stats: 339/298/115
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 2013
I have read posts of some Juddbudds going to the 5:2 plan to maintain. Maybe that is what you are thinking of. I believe there are some posts about 5:2 on the other plans section.
Sunshinegirl44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Some people do 2 DDs in a row with no problem. Kettleboy comes to mind, as well as StephDray. I have done a MD after a DD and it felt like 2 DDs. I want my UD after a DD, but some people have done (or do) it with success.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Sunshine, I'm talking about two DDs in a row.

Last edited by CarolinaCoast; 06-27-2013 at 12:12 PM..
Old 06-27-2013, 12:17 PM   #7

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/187/164 5'8"
1 DD is enough at a time for me. That's why I love JUDDD, dieting only 1/2 the time. Doubling up would defeat the purpose for me.
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:27 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
I would never do 2 low DDs in a row...I've done high DDs though. Lower calories than a MD but higher than my regular DDs. Trust me, I make up for it the next day LOL This is mainly due to me not eating my calories on the second DD until late at night (I am out until around 8pm sometimes) so it's just not practical to eat UD calories that late.
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:35 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 267.6/257/140
WOE: JUDDD/Paul McKenna
Start Date: 9 Nov 2014
I've never DD'd 2 days in a row before now. At the end of day 2, and had 380 cals yesterday, and as at 8.30 pm today I've had 495 cals.

I don't think I would recommend it necessarily, doing it with Mum (Kissa) has made it manageable, but I don't know if I would have succeeded on my own.

We haven't done it for 'extra' fast weight loss - it's because I'm about to have 3 UDs in a row, although I'll try to make the middle day reasonable. If I could have simply swapped days, I would have done an MD, or just had 2 UDs, but 3 is simply too many this early in my journey.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:52 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
I've done it a couple of times, without a problem, but it made no difference in my weight loss. I don't know what would happen if I did it regularly though.
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:12 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
As Library Girl says, Steph experimented with consecutive DDs:
Quote:
No More Double Down Days. To get my new low last week, I did a double down day before my weigh in. The downside to that is that coming off of two down days, I was super hungry. And that hunger resulted in an up up and away day. I woke up two pounds heavier. The next day, after a great down day, I'd gained another pound. So I tried another down day, to see if two down days in a row would erase it. The next morning, I was up another two pounds. So, just so we're clear on what I did--I ate an average of less than 1,000 calories a day for five days and gained five pounds. It was probably water or bloating or some other random thing, but the psychological effect of this was devastating. And I am done with that experiment. 50 Weeks on JUDDD -- Sigh
I have mis-givings about repeated sequences of DDs albeit this is mainly for women and particularly for women of childbearing age. I think (and I have little to back this up) that you can make enough changes to the gut flora to lead to issues for some women, over time.

Regularly skimping on protein because of DD sequences may well lead to as much as 30-50g loss of muscle for each DD. That mayn't sound like much but it would soon add up to a surprising amount for those who are in this for the long haul, especially women who might not have that much muscle mass to start with or are experiencing changes to their hormonal profile that make it more difficult to retain that mass.

I also have the impression from reading in several places that extended sequences of fasting are different for men and women. Some women seem to experience disturbances to their cycles.

Lastly, I fret that over time the extended drop in calories down regulates women's metabolisms, reducing their calorie need and making it that much harder for them to reach their goals. They lose the flexibility that being able to eat more calories and experiment with the macronutrients confers. I also have a small niggle that over time, repeated restriction will lead to feelings of deprivation and very strong urges to go off-plan.

I may be horribly wrong. The above is a list of my apprehensions.

Last edited by SlowSure; 06-27-2013 at 02:13 PM..
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:51 PM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Carolina, I just noticed your weight. At your size, I would just do 4:3, or even 5:2. You'd be surprised at how you maintain. Most people eat a good bit less naturally on UDs, simply because the "next" day isn't a DD. Go ahead and have 2 UDs if you want to change your rotations. That's my 2 cents, and it's not worth much.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:35 PM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I never tried it and have not felt inclined to. I like DDs, too, but juddd just works well for me with eod for weight loss and 5:2 for my maintenance. This is my 2nd week of 4:3 to toy with dropping a few more pounds. This was a 2 week experiment, but decided after my birthday on the 12th I'll continue with 4:3 and see if I want/can lose about 5-8 pounds over the next 3 months. I have mixed feelings and I know my mother and DW don't want me to go lower. I'll just *fib* to my mother if she thinks I've lost more and is critical, but I'll go with what DW says if she thinks 118 or so is too low.

Was your desire to try 2 DDs for quicker weight loss or to switch rotations? If you are at goal I'm pretty sure that 2 UDs in a row to change your rotation will not make a big, long-term difference. You can also do your regular DD and then fast till dinner the next day if it is a big meal that is worrying you.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:58 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

I don't do it for quicker weight loss. I go to my weight loss group on Thursday nights. I don't want to have an UD on Wednesday because by my WI I definitely will be up. I don't want to have an UD or Thursday because I don't usually eat until after 8pm. I sometimes eat high calorie things but at that time of night I just can't eat a large volume of food. The way I worked dout Weds-Thurs is having high DDs. I don't thinik I could do 300 calorie DDs 2 days in a row but I can pretty much get through 500-600. For me it's just the way my week works out.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #15

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
I do them- not for further calorie restriction but- for changing a DD to an UD.
I haven't had to do two UDs together yet, so as long as I only have to do a
single UD, I'm able to sneak in an extra DD to get me on the opposite rotation.
I haven't done it enough to really call it a trend, but I think that I lose better
in the weeks that I have proper eod rotations.
Pami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:11 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Familyvet
Stats: 230/200/<160 5'8" 44yo
WOE: Atkins on and off for years, JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD 2/20/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet311 View Post
I go to my weight loss group on Thursday nights. I don't want to have an UD on Wednesday because by my WI I definitely will be up.
I find this very curious. Are any others in the group doing JUDDD? Do they announce your weight out loud? I have never been to one of these groups, so please forgive my questions, and feel free not to answer them if you find them too intrusive. I guess my real question is, is the result of the WI worth screwing up your rotations? Or does it overall keep you on the right track? Seems like if it was up one week due to a previous UD it would be really down the next? Just wondering....
Familyvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:21 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

I find it doesn't screw anything up in the long run and i used to do a MD on wednesdays but as i know others have mentioned MDs are difficult. As long as the rest of my week goes according to plan i do have losses. I wouldnt necessarily recommend this to others i was just describing how it worked out this way in my case.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:25 AM   #18
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
I don't do it for quicker weight loss. I go to my weight loss group on Thursday nights. I don't want to have an UD on Wednesday because by my WI I definitely will be up. I don't want to have an UD or Thursday because I don't usually eat until after 8pm. I sometimes eat high calorie things but at that time of night I just can't eat a large volume of food. The way I worked dout Weds-Thurs is having high DDs. I don't thinik I could do 300 calorie DDs 2 days in a row but I can pretty much get through 500-600. For me it's just the way my week works out.
I guess it's curious to me too, Kismet. You need 2 DDs in a row before WI each week?
Old 06-28-2013, 07:37 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Well, i guess im not explaining it correctly but i don't need to do it but that is the way it works out since i cant find a way to make thursday an UD IF I eat between 8 and10 pm...i could try to eat 1600 calories in 2 hours but im sure my stomach would be killing me. I know there are 1000 calorie burgers out there but i dont eat fast food and mainly cook every meal myself. I might change things but for the last 2 weeks this has worked out.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:51 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
I did a double DD this week. I was traveling on Sunday, and I always fast when I travel. It is just easier. Then I wanted to keep my rotation so I did another DD on Monday. Very easy. However, I was sort of extra hungry by my Wednesday DD and it wasn't much fun. I think it is easier when I can keep my rotations but I just can't always do that. My lifestyle doesn't make that easy.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:50 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
I have thought about doing 2 Down Days in a row, to help with my medical issue. But I've only thought about it so far. I have fasted successfully (3-4 days) in the past(before starting JUDDD, for autophagy), but now that I am fasting every other day, I worry that I might go a little crazy on the Up Day after two Down Days. That might not be a bad thing, though. I have had some of my best losses after doing three Up Days in a row.

I think it is something worth trying, though I think I would only do it once in a while, maybe every two weeks. Kismet, is this your schedule:
M-DD T-UD W-DD R-DD F-UD S-DD U-UD

I just wonder about how hard 4 Down Days is mentally. I like knowing I am only doing it half the time. Knowing I am doing it slightly more than half, as a regular schedule, would irk me, I think.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:28 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Basically, that's it. I found that I can't really go crazy on UDs because I can't eat a huge amount of food at once. The 2 DDs in a row are really not hard because if I can really eat a high volume of food (mostly veggies) and not go over 500-600 calories. The only time my stomach is really growling is during the day on Mondays since I try to fast until dinner and by Thursday afternoon I am peckish but having coffee and fruit during the day yesterday seemed to squash it until I had time to eat.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:36 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for your input Kismet. I'm on my second one today, and so far doing great. I plan to wait until noon to eat. It will be interesting to see if I'm able to control myself tomorrow on my UD. If I can, this may be a tool I can use. For now I'd prefer two DDs in a row instead of two UDs.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sunshinegirl44
Stats: 339/298/115
Start Date: June 2013
I am interested to hear how that works out for you Carolina. I might try it, because I am on an UD and I have not been hungry yet. It is funny when I am on a down day around evening time I am thinking of all of the things I could have for breakfast in the morning and I wake up and it is almost noon and I am still not ready to eat.
Sunshinegirl44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:06 AM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/120/118-123
I have not tried 2 DD in the row myself but have read about on British JUDDD forum. Some people were doing it successfully. If you want to read more about it try googling minimins and find JUDDD forum.
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:31 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobelowcarber View Post
I have not tried 2 DD in the row myself but have read about on British JUDDD forum. Some people were doing it successfully. If you want to read more about it try googling minimins and find JUDDD forum.
Hey thanks! They have tons of information.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #27

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCoast View Post
Thanks for your input Kismet. I'm on my second one today, and so far doing great. I plan to wait until noon to eat. It will be interesting to see if I'm able to control myself tomorrow on my UD. If I can, this may be a tool I can use. For now I'd prefer two DDs in a row instead of two UDs.
TBH, when I wake up in the morning after my 2nd DD, I feel like I could do another DD without issue. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm never ravenous on my UD, whether it follows one DD or two. I think since I've been doing the eod rotations, I've had an appetite in the morning maybe twice. If you get up and make something for breakfast, and get some food in before you have time to build up your appetite, you should be able to maintain complete control for the rest of the day. I have faith that you can do it!

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it by the book...
It's not a stall when you're cheating!
If you don't want to do something, one excuse is as good as any other. (Yiddish Proverb)
~Proud to be a Famous Banta Babe~
Pami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:44 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Pami, thanks for the suggestion to have breakfast tomorrow. I'll do it. Still doing well. Think I'll be able to make it, and not feeling ravenous yet.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:59 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ilahstrait
Stats: 159/125/130 5'5"
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
I've done 2 DDs in a row once. I regained everything I lost after my UD.
ilahstrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:03 PM   #30
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Well, i guess im not explaining it correctly but i don't need to do it but that is the way it works out since i cant find a way to make thursday an UD IF I eat between 8 and10 pm...i could try to eat 1600 calories in 2 hours but im sure my stomach would be killing me. I know there are 1000 calorie burgers out there but i dont eat fast food and mainly cook every meal myself. I might change things but for the last 2 weeks this has worked out.
Maybe you could find another meeting place and go to an alternate one on alternate weeks (on different days)? That way, you would always have the "good" WI.