Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
Nope, only 1. I don't mind it. It works out fine.
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2013, 04:23 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March, 2009
In a way, isn't this a sort of an opposite of JUDDD? Since JUDDD is about the placement of any low calorie day between higher calorie days?

My problem with it, as I've posted before, is that it may well be a form of Intermittent Fasting but it can't be JUDDD/Alternate Day, which is defined by the change between two days: alternating. So the science and study behind our way of eating (and the personal experience posted here over the years) doesn't apply to 2 low-calorie days in a row.

If there are studies out there that show that 2 low-calorie days in a row is safe, or that it helps lose weight, that's great. I hope those who are interested find out all about it. All I am saying is, please don't think, or let newbies assume, that the JUDDD/Alternate Day studies validated this as healthy or helpful to weight loss.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #33
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitlin' View Post
In a way, isn't this a sort of an opposite of JUDDD? Since JUDDD is about the placement of any low calorie day between higher calorie days?

My problem with it, as I've posted before, is that it may well be a form of Intermittent Fasting but it can't be JUDDD/Alternate Day, which is defined by the change between two days: alternating. So the science and study behind our way of eating (and the personal experience posted here over the years) doesn't apply to 2 low-calorie days in a row.

If there are studies out there that show that 2 low-calorie days in a row is safe, or that it helps lose weight, that's great. I hope those who are interested find out all about it. All I am saying is, please don't think, or let newbies assume, that the JUDDD/Alternate Day studies validated this as healthy or helpful to weight loss.
I agree Whitlin'. Multiple low days may be fine, but it is not The Alternate Day Diet/ JUDDD. Dr. Johnson did not include any info in his book about more than 1 DD in a row. I doubt that doing this occasionally is a big problem, but on a regular basis it would be some other form of IF- just my opinion.

I was anorexic for most of my teenage years and into my early 20's so for myself I don't even entertain it as I don't want to fall back into anything that is unhealthy from my personal past.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

The rest of the week works out to be alternate days. I stated multiple times that this is just the way my week works out and I wouldn't suggest it to anyone. I'm sure new people will figure out that's not what they should do (unless they wanted to). I just can't figure out how to do it any other way.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:59 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Familyvet
Stats: 230/200/<160 5'8" 44yo
WOE: Atkins on and off for years, JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD 2/20/13
Why not just eat on an UD and then go weigh? Who cares if it is a little higher? Or...if ain't broke, don't fix it!!! Sorry to butt in! You are doing great! KUTGW!
Familyvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:09 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

I would be more concerned if I was doing really low DDs like some other people do (I don't know how they do 0!!). I figure its working now so I'm not going to mess with my week until I get to maintenance then I will probably do something different.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:27 PM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CarolinaCoast
Stats: 155/124.2/122-125
WOE: Chronic Experimenter
Quote:
In the light of that definition neither could 4:3 or 5:2 be called JUDDD.
CarolinaCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:39 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

I don't see how people having 3 UDs in a row is JUDDD either but they do it. That is more extreme than having 2 DDs to me.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:45 PM   #39
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
3 UDs in a row is a break from JUDDD.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:56 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
3 UDs in a row is a break from JUDDD.
Ok. That's a good way to put it. Guess I took a break from JUDDD today.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:19 PM   #41
Big Yapper!!!!

I may be very by the book. So I only say I'm JUDDDing when I'm doing eod rotations. I had my woe as 5:2 for a while and recently changed it to 4:3. This was the end of the 2 week trial of 4:3 and I liked it so I'll do 5:2 for the first 2 weeks of July and the back to 4:3 for the foreseeable future. Would love to see that scale drop below 120
Old 06-28-2013, 09:33 PM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

I do think we need to give Dr. Mosley credit for 5:2, as of his introduction of it on BBC in the fall of last year, and his book. It is distinct from JUDDD/Alternate Day, which has been around since before 2008, even though it builds on JUDDD and is very similar. He actually gave credit for the idea to Dr. Mattson in his BBC program, the same doctor who was given a lot of credit by Dr. Johnson in Johnson's book. And there's lots of research on it that's widely circulating right now in his book and others.

I may be off track about what 4:3 is... ... hmmm. If it's 3 DDs through the week, like M,W,F, then yes it is Alternate Day/JUDDD straight out of the book, plus experiences here on this board for years. But we've only used the phrase "4:3" for a few months here and I could have missed an explanation about it and have that wrong.
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:39 PM   #43
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
Quote:

I may be off track about what 4:3 is... ... hmmm. If it's 3 DDs through the week, like M,W,F, then yes it is Alternate Day/JUDDD straight out of the book, plus experiences here on this board for years. But we've only used the phrase "4:3" for a few months here and I could have missed an explanation about it and have that wrong.
My understanding is that JUDDD is 4:3 one week, then 3:4 the next, repeating those two weeks' patterns.
Pami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:05 PM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Or it can be M,W,F consistently. In the book, Dr. Johnson says, "Many people find it easiest to do Monday, Wednesday, and Friday as down days and make either Saturday or Sunday or both up days. This works well and clearly maintains activation of the anti-inflammatory process." And then he explains that you can use the strategy of making one of the weekend days an in-between day.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:17 AM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Well, the experiment was a success.

I was able to switch my rotation so I can go out to dinner tonight and have something yummy instead of my usual DD house salad and vinegar. It's nice to feel free to have whatever I want without the concern over potential gain from two UDs. Now I know I can do it, so I'll use it whenever I need to tweak the rotations like I did this week, or even if I just want to feel that DD high two days in a row.

Yesterday was actually easier than Thursday, and this morning I don't feel hungry. In fact, I'm less hungry than on a normal UD morning. Since I had plenty of protein both days, I'm not too concerned over losing muscle or slowing my metabolism. Now I'm curious to see if my maintenance numbers are still intact. Weigh-in is Monday.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:44 AM   #46
Big Yapper!!!!

I'm glad it worked out well for you, Carolina.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:29 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCoast View Post

Yesterday was actually easier than Thursday, and this morning I don't feel hungry.
In fact, I'm less hungry than on a normal UD morning.
Yep, that's exactly how it goes for me, too!
Old 06-29-2013, 12:08 PM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Hey Pami, I also took your suggestion and had breakfast although I wasn't that hungry. I couldn't eat it all, but it held me til a late lunch. Had to force myself to finish lunch. It was salmon and asparagus, so I thought I should eat it all for the nutritional value. It looks like I'm going to have control over my hunger today which is another success since the past two weeks of UDs have all been UUADs. I'm very excited about this. Side note, though, if I had skipped breakfast this morning, I don't think I'd be feeling the lack of hunger. I think it was very important.

Last edited by CarolinaCoast; 06-29-2013 at 12:11 PM..
Old 06-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I'm glad it worked out well for you, Carolina.
Thanks, Cindy. It was certainly a much better experience than I had anticipated.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:26 PM   #50

Quote:
Hey Pami, I also took your suggestion and had breakfast although I wasn't that hungry. I couldn't eat it all, but it held me til a late lunch. Had to force myself to finish lunch. It was salmon and asparagus, so I thought I should eat it all for the nutritional value. It looks like I'm going to have control over my hunger today which is another success since the past two weeks of UDs have all been UUADs. I'm very excited about this. Side note, though, if I had skipped breakfast this morning, I don't think I'd be feeling the lack of hunger. I think it was very important.
I wish LCF had a "Like" button.
Glad it worked for you!
Old 06-30-2013, 03:22 PM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 267.6/257/140
WOE: JUDDD/Paul McKenna
Start Date: 9 Nov 2014
Well, lots of interesting comments. My thoughts about 2DD in a row probably amounts to 'tweaking'.

I did 2DD in a row last week, and whilst I don't recommend it, it was a reasonable method for me to ensure my weekly average ( this once, in unusual circumstances) balanced.

A couple of interesting observations.

I wasn't ravenous on the morning of my UD - didn't eat until 10.30am
Ate a good lunch
Snacked at the memorial service (maybe a sandwich & a couple of meatballs)
Pizza for dinner, left 2.5 pieces of my 1/2 of Pizza!
Next day, ate exactly the same (if not less) than my naturally skinny girlfriends
Today- normal UD

Looking forward to tomorrow's DD!
Old 06-30-2013, 05:13 PM   #52
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pami View Post
I wish LCF had a "Like" button.
Glad it worked for you!
I have often wished that too!!
Old 06-30-2013, 05:49 PM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

I'm wondering if "my" DD got negative responses because I mentioned I am a part of a weight loss group while others just got positive responses?? Not offended but just wondering. Glad everyone is doing well in whatever tweaking gets them through the week! You are doing great!
Old 06-30-2013, 05:51 PM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MintQ8 View Post
Next day, ate exactly the same (if not less) than my naturally skinny girlfriends
I find this true at work. There's this skinny chick who eats a ton and looks at my plate of salad and tries to get me to eat more! I seriously can't eat as much as her. I don't know where she puts it LOL
Old 06-30-2013, 06:04 PM   #55
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet311 View Post
I'm wondering if "my" DD got negative responses because I mentioned I am a part of a weight loss group while others just got positive responses?? Not offended but just wondering. Glad everyone is doing well in whatever tweaking gets them through the week! You are doing great!
I don't think so, Kismet. I think multiple DDs send alarm signals to most of us on JUDDD. This WOE can be a very tricky thing for people with eating disorders, and severely limiting calories on multiple days in a row is one sign of a disorder. Therefore, there was some concern for *anyone* who mentioned doing this (multiple DDs). If you're doing it successfully and it seems that you are, congrats on finding the perfect routine for you!
Old 06-30-2013, 06:51 PM   #56
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
I don't think so, Kismet. I think multiple DDs send alarm signals to most of us on JUDDD. This WOE can be a very tricky thing for people with eating disorders, and severely limiting calories on multiple days in a row is one sign of a disorder. Therefore, there was some concern for *anyone* who mentioned doing this (multiple DDs). If you're doing it successfully and it seems that you are, congrats on finding the perfect routine for you!
Yes ^^^^ this, but no criticism of you or what works for you. A lot of new JUDDD buds read our posts and they haven't always researched this woe or are not aware of different pit falls that could lay ahead. As I said, I have a history of anorexia so it is concerning that someone who may be struggling with managing this issue may think that we are saying 2 DD are nothing to worry about or that double DDs are an expected part of JUDDD. We all have to do what works for us at the end of the day, but I frequently think about new folks and don't want to send a confusing message about JUDDD.

You have been doing awesome and I really don't think anyone was trying to be critical of you! Big .
Old 06-30-2013, 06:57 PM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

No worries. I don't think it was intentional but I was just asked "why"? a bit more than the others. I think everyone could use UD or DD support no matter what. I was just responding to the question the OP posed and would never try to cajole others into doing what I'm doing. I think we all deserve some just for trying and never giving up!
Old 06-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

((Kismet)) (squeezy hugs!) , I think it was only because you posted an actual situation, and JUDDD BUDDS enjoy helping here, and tend to be suggesters of ideas. As soon as one suggestion happens, more come along.

I made sure to use the phrase, "as I've posted before", because my opinion that day was the same opinion I posted a week before in the previous thread on this subject, which I thought I probably ought to point out.

Cindy has a point that alarm signals just go off in case of more extreme calorie restriction for longer periods of time than we can be sure is safe for everyone. I've been posting here a long time and feel Carly's same concerns/responsibility, that we must be aware everyone who reads here is not the same, and might misunderstand that 2 DDs are an expected part of JUDDD.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:34 PM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Something I just remembered about Saturday morning. When I woke up, I wasn't hungry and was good for several hours. But when I decided to eat, it was because I did feel hungry, and it was that hunger described in the thread on true hunger.How to Discern True Hunger . I wasn't able to eat much, but I did need to eat.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:54 AM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Kismet, you never said how your weigh-ins look after the two DDs. I'm very curious. Also, how do you feel the day after the second one, and are you able to avoid overeating?

This weekend turned into three UDs for me, so I'm doing another double DD this week. I missed my weekly weigh-in because of the unexpected UDs, but I'll be posting my results soon.

Also, you mentioned that you have higher calorie DDs. Me, too. I had 500-600 last week and plan at least that many this week. Will you please post a typical menu?

Last edited by CarolinaCoast; 07-02-2013 at 06:09 AM..