Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 05:39 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Conjugated Linoleic Acid

Just re-ordered some CLA and noticed that it's supposed to help with appetite suppression.

I've been using it since December. It's reputed to help burn belly fat and all I can say is that my belly is now of acceptable proportions and I have a waist for the first time in 20 years.

Of course, I've been JUDDDing to the best of my abilities too!!!

Anyway, I thought those of you who don't get on with Pterostilbene might be interested. It's an antioxidant, so presumably quite healthy. It's not expensive and there are some very good value deals.

I read that you have to take reasonably high doses to have a fat-burning effect. Also best to consume with some fat. Therefore, I just take a capsule after meals on UDs. 3x 1000mg per day.
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2013, 06:06 AM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I started taking it 2 weeks ago. Mine is Jarrow and the bottle says 750mg from CLA and 1000mg from Safflower oil. It's 10 calories so I would be unwilling to take 3 on DD, but maybe I need to up my dose. How long before you noticed changes?
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:43 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I tried the Natrol Tonalin CLA 1200 mg. I was taking it 3 times per day and noticed nothing, but that seems to be the way my body works. Supplements are never as advertised with me, but I keep trying. Mine are 13 calories per capsule, so it was adding up. I'd take it with food, so 3 times a day on UDs and twice a day on DDs.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 267.6/257/140
WOE: JUDDD/Paul McKenna
Start Date: 9 Nov 2014
No idea about CLA, but wanted to invite Flossyliz to the UK thread UK/Expats June there's a few Juddders on it, as well as Atkins and other plans.
MintQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Moderate carb JUDDD
Start Date: February 2010
I bought the Nature's Valley CLA at WalMart the other night and started taking it Saturday. Do you have to take 4000 mg a day to see results or can you cut the dosage in half? So far I feel a slight increase in energy, but the calories in it seem kinda high to me. (20 calories for 1 serving, which is 2 capsules, or 2000 mg)
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:14 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Ignorance is bliss - I don't count the calories in my supplements. Presumably wasn't detrimental for me!!

I rarely eat four times in a day so I usually have 3x1000mg over three meals. That plus the need to consume with some fat is why I don't bother to take them on DDs.

Because I wasn't aware of the potential effect on appetite, I wasn't looking out for it. I certainly hadn't noticed anything as significant as some of the ptero people. With hindsight though, I often find I've only eaten about 1100calories by 10pm on UDs, so maybe there is something in it.

Whether the CLA helped with the belly fat or it was purely JUDDD I have no way of proving. I can confidently say, however, that exercise played no part whatsoever in my new shape, as I've necessarily been a couch potato for most of the year.

Anyway, I'm playing safe and I've ordered 200 more capsules today. The previous 200 lasted 6 months.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:15 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MintQ8 View Post
No idea about CLA, but wanted to invite Flossyliz to the UK thread UK/Expats June there's a few Juddders on it, as well as Atkins and other plans.
Thanks Vicki. I'll head over there now!
Old 06-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 312/310/ a lot less
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: restart again 10/27/2014
CLA may harm your health. When you buy CLA in a bottle it is a mixture of several
different isomers. Some of these are healthy and some are not healthy. Well there is
one manufacturer who sells the purified good form but it's about 10 x more expensive.
I have seen at least one person who while noticing her stomach fat was decreasing
also noted her diabetes was geting much worse till she stopped it. Her is one articel
on this.

Can Cla Cause Insulin Resistance? | LIVESTRONG.COM
E.W. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
Dr. Michael Eades wrote a brief post about CLA on his blog. Here's an excerpt. You can find the entire post by searching "A ‘healthful’ trans fat?"
"Studies have shown health benefits accruing from the consumption of CLA (which is a substance produced by animals and found in meat and dairy), but only when the CLA is a specific isomer. The wrong isomers have been shown to cause problems or, at the very least, not be helpful.

I can see the world taking to this new, factory-produced CLA only to discover after a decade that it is an isomer that causes major health problems. Then will come the cries to ban it."
Old 06-17-2013, 03:09 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

OUCH! Thanks for flagging that up E.W. Definitely worth checking out.

Emily, mine isn't made from soy. I avoid soy as much as possible!

I wouldn't bother taking CLA for the rest of my life but hopefully it's served a useful purpose over a few months.

From what I've googled, most of the negative studies used obese or diabetic subjects who already had insulin resistance.
The opposite was found in this study: Conjugated linoleic acid improves insul... [Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2004] - PubMed - NCBI

I used to have symptoms of metabolic syndrome - chronic hunger, apple-shaped etc.
Do you know if it's possible to be insulin resistant while being able to fast fairly easily till dinner time and not having an excess of fat around the belly?
Old 06-17-2013, 04:10 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March, 2009
This was one of those "who knows?" supplements for me.

I purchased Olympian Labs 3000 mg softgels. It wasn't until I got home with it that I realized that the dosage on the bottle was suggesting 9,000 mg per day (3 softgels, for a total of 30 calories it said). The dosage just seemed high. I decided to try one a day and see, and didn't ever notice any help/change I could be sure of.

More recently I've read that the high dosages over 4,000 haven't been proven in human studies, anyway, and it may not be important to go that high.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:53 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

That's a high dose Whitlin!
I think I read 4000mg somewhere but I only take 2-3000mg on alternate days.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:01 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
After reading about CLA/GLA on the supplement thread for belly fat, I started it. I got the Tonalin CLA from Wally World, and take 4 per day which actually equals about 3.4g of CLA as the 1000mg (1g) capsules aren't 100% CLA. The CLA thread seems to suggest that 3.4g is a minimum dose. I hadn't been counting calories in the supplements. I don't recall the concentration of the GLA but I was taking 4 per day as well.
I've been taking it about 4-5 weeks, I don't recall my exact start date but could dig through my journal to figure it out. I have to say I've noticed zero effects from the supplements. Although I've lost a few pounds since starting the supplements, my waist measurements have remained unchanged in the time since starting them. They're not terribly expensive but I dislike swallowing bit pills so I will likely discontinue once I'm out of this batch.
I was hoping to be one of those who saw dramatic reductions in stomach fat. I seem to be losing from everywhere but the belly. From the front, I am looking pretty good. From the side...well, lets just say there is a reason all my pics are front views!

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I doubt that I will continue with the CLA. I think if I took the amount that is suggested the added calories will have more of a negative impact than the belly fat shrinking effects. I will need to do more research, but I don't have the time or inclination right now to do it.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote