Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Need a new WOE, just found JUDDD, questions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/806097-need-new-woe-just-found-juddd-questions.html)

smallerizing 06-14-2013 02:21 PM

Need a new WOE, just found JUDDD, questions

I have to say, after scrolling down looking at peoples stats, that this must be a very effective method! I just started the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet, and this looks similar only spread out into two days instead of one.

Not having researched the science behind it, I do have a few questions as I consider (and reconsider) the plan I must take to lose these horrid pounds.

Apparently I have a very stubborn metabolism, since I lost 60 pounds on Atkins but then gained a lot of it back even while I was on OWL. Apparently this is common! I know that I can stick to any WOE including Stillman's (where I was eating about 350 calories a day for four days per week.) That's why your overall incredible stats were so impressive.

Does the Down Day look a little like Stillman's? That is, all lean protein like tuna, chicken, or eggs and almost no vegetables?

Is this good for a metabolically-challenged individual like myself? There is no earthly reason I should be this huge; my husband and daughter eat twice what I do and they are slim.

If I want to take Saturday AND Sunday for an Up day, can I? Or even just half the Saturday? (Down on Friday and Sat morning, for instance). That way I know by the day of the week what to prepare. I have seen a few posts or instructions on changing things up because of a special occasion. Does this work well?

Sorry about all the questions. I know I have to do something besides the see-food diet that I've been following for 2 years. Although I must say that JUDDD sounds like I can do that "diet" on alternate days, no work or thinking involved.

Thanks in advance....:)

KeirasMom 06-14-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallerizing (Post 16470825)
I have to say, after scrolling down looking at peoples stats, that this must be a very effective method! I just started the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet, and this looks similar only spread out into two days instead of one.

Not having researched the science behind it, I do have a few questions as I consider (and reconsider) the plan I must take to lose these horrid pounds.

Apparently I have a very stubborn metabolism, since I lost 60 pounds on Atkins but then gained a lot of it back even while I was on OWL. Apparently this is common! I know that I can stick to any WOE including Stillman's (where I was eating about 350 calories a day for four days per week.) That's why your overall incredible stats were so impressive.

Does the Down Day look a little like Stillman's? That is, all lean protein like tuna, chicken, or eggs and almost no vegetables?
The down day looks like whatever it needs to look like to keep you satisfied. Some prefer mostly protein, some prefer mostly fat, some like bulk. I personally like a combination of protein and veggies to keep me satisfied.
Is this good for a metabolically-challenged individual like myself? There is no earthly reason I should be this huge; my husband and daughter eat twice what I do and they are slim.
Many of us have found that JUDDD has repaired our metabolisms. I was nearly 300 pounds when I started, and am much slimmer now. I also have thyroid disease.
If I want to take Saturday AND Sunday for an Up day, can I? Or even just half the Saturday? (Down on Friday and Sat morning, for instance). That way I know by the day of the week what to prepare. I have seen a few posts or instructions on changing things up because of a special occasion. Does this work well?
YMMV. Some do two UDs during the weekend and have DDs every M,W,F. Others have found that they don't lose as well doing that. I prefer rotating every other day, but you have to find what works with your personal metabolism and lifestyle.
Sorry about all the questions. I know I have to do something besides the see-food diet that I've been following for 2 years. Although I must say that JUDDD sounds like I can do that "diet" on alternate days, no work or thinking involved.

Thanks in advance....:)

:welcome:

Sirtain 06-14-2013 03:31 PM

What Keirasmom said. :)

Welcome, Smallerizing.

I started with no food on Down Days, and have tried all-fat, all-protein, mostly carbs(vegetables, NOT grains), and a mixture of macros. They all have their good points, but I would suggest all protein or all-fat when you start, as that really curbs hunger.

I am also a big proponent of low-carb on Up Days. I think we set ourselves up for excess hunger from insulin swings if we carb up every other day.

Be sure you eat enough on your Up Days. This is not a low-calorie every day plan. You need the swing.

Anonymousity 06-14-2013 06:05 PM

I'm pretty new so not an expert!

On my DD I have a balance of carbs/fat/protein or alternatively go heavy on the protein. I try to ward off not only hunger but also migraines of which I'm prone to when I don't eat enough. I think its just a matter of finding what works for you!

Carly 06-14-2013 06:56 PM

On DD I have coffee with SF creamer and then have a bedtime snack of about 150 calories. In maintenance I just have 2 DDs a week, but during weight loss I did strick eod rotations.i used to have Talapia 3 oz and miracle noodle in the beginning.

Flutter 06-14-2013 07:26 PM

Welcome!!! What Dawn said, basically. :heart: I found out my very first DD that eating makes me hungrier. Therefore, I pretty much fast each DD & drink coffee with a bit of sf creamer. Since I've been juddding awhile now, I will sometimes have something light if I really want to, but FOR ME, less is better. (plus I allow myself to eat more on UDs that way)

I hope you join in! It's a wonderful way to live your life, enjoying whatever you want instead of having to omit half the food groups. ;)

LoCarbGal 06-14-2013 10:47 PM

:welcome:! You've had good answers so far. And I guess you've figured out that.....it all depends. It's what we each have to go through when starting JUDDD. Just exactly what works best for your body, and your tastes.

I've done just about every kind of DD. I've done well balanced, LCHF, all fat, all produce. For me, LCHF works very very well, but I can't say the other days didn't work well. I'm just really comfortable and satisfied. I've recently stumbled upon having nothing but Coffee/HWC all DD, or maybe some cream cheese (or any other high fat food) for dinner. But I don't want to do that every DD.

Good luck! You'll play around and find the way(s) that work best for you.

smallerizing 06-15-2013 04:32 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! This is my fifth day of doing CAD and only one pound lost. I know that doesn't mean anything really since I haven't given it a chance, but my husband works at changing shifts, and I can't really have my big meal at the same time each day.

Maybe I should just come on board. Monday would be a good day to start. Or should I give the CAD time to work?

adillenal 06-15-2013 05:37 PM

I have never done CAD but JUDDD worked for me so I would say start JUDDD on Monday. Juddd doesn't care when you eat just how many calories you consume.

SlowSure 06-16-2013 02:13 AM

:hiya: smallerizing, sounds like you have some interesting decisions to work out.

You've had good advice and from people whose stats and personal stories speak for themselves as to how well-matched they are with JUDDD as a WOE (as you noticed when browsing through the board). It's remarkable to see the metabolic disorders that seem to be managed so well by JUDDD.

Good luck :)

Flossyliz 06-16-2013 03:56 AM

Hi Smallerizing, I love your handle!

I'm sure what you've already learned through CAD will help you with JUDDD. I think it's fair to say that most of us find low carb works best on DDs because protein is more sustaining and carbs can trigger appetite. On UD's it's about getting in lots of healthy calories to nourish your body and set you up for a good DD. How those calories look is entirely up to you, so carbs are optional (I love my bread!) but veggies are definitely recommended.

JUDDD is much more experimental and flexible than CAD. There are no set eating parameters, other than the alternating calorie allowances and, as everyone has already said, you find what works best for you.

There's lots of info on the forum. Do read as much as you can. It helps you do the What if you understand the WHYs. The JBs are a wonderful supportive bunch.
:welcome:

zipp2play 06-17-2013 05:32 AM

:welcome: to our group! I love JUDDD because, unlike ANY OTHER PLAN I have ever tried, I am only "dieting" 1/2 the time! Right now my DH is down 35 pounds from JUDDD, DS14 is down 28 pounds (he does a modified 1000/2000 rotation) and I am down 20. Even my DD11 is down a few pounds (she doesn't need to lose) as we have more veggies around the house and DD meals are small for all!

Let us know what you think!

smallerizing 06-17-2013 09:49 AM

I was giving CAD one more day and guess what? The one measly pound I lost is BACK, with another half pound along with it! GRRRRRRR

I'm in, starting tomorrow!! Or maybe I will call this an UP day, and it starts now! Thank you all for the help and encouragement. I went and compared stats on the CAD board, and the winners (I mean losers) seem to be here! Thank you for the warm welcome!

Flutter 06-17-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallerizing (Post 16474230)
I was giving CAD one more day and guess what? The one measly pound I lost is BACK, with another half pound along with it! GRRRRRRR

I'm in, starting tomorrow!! Or maybe I will call this an UP day, and it starts now! Thank you all for the help and encouragement. I went and compared stats on the CAD board, and the winners (I mean losers) seem to be here! Thank you for the warm welcome!

Yes, just start with a fabulous UD!!! Welcome again!! :heart:

Kissa 06-17-2013 01:56 PM

Nice to have you on board Smallerizing.

FairyWren 06-17-2013 02:09 PM

:welcome: yes JUDDD is brilliant and so flexible - some weeks i have a DD on a Monday, Weds and Friday, UD on a Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday and a medium day on a Sunday. Right now i'm doing every other day rotations as my daughter wants me to go shopping for wedding clothes at the end of July.

On DDs i never go less than 500 kcals. To me it seems like the lovely JUDDD buds who have done the best stick faithfully to their DDs.

I eat mainly low carb but that is for a particular reason (i have ulcerative colitis and high carbs give my insides hell!). You will find people on here who low carb and those who don't - they all have similar success :)

On an UD you could live on chocolate, ice cream and donuts but for myself, the longer i do it the more i find i love to eat good healthy food to sustain me on my DD - not because i "should" but because i want to!

smallerizing 06-17-2013 09:28 PM

Okay, it wasn't a particularly fabulous UD, because I haven't gone shopping. Tomorrow I have grilled chicken ready in the fridge, and tuna in the pantry.

One major glitch; a new friend who is going through an ugly divorce has decided to join a small group of us on a gardener's "field trip" to a fabulous garden almost two hours away, and then made mention it's her birthday! What would a good friend do but say she will make chocolate cupcakes? So the cupcake baking will unfortunately have to happen at the end of my first "Down Day." This is gonna be SOOOOOO hard!:stars:

I assume that the DD will be somewhat good even if I only last until 8 pm? Or if I only taste the frosting as I'm making it, but not much?

I can't believe I did this to myself.

smallerizing 06-17-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FairyWren (Post 16474597)
:welcome: yes JUDDD is brilliant and so flexible - some weeks i have a DD on a Monday, Weds and Friday, UD on a Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday and a medium day on a Sunday.

You can do a "medium" day??? I was wondering about weekends, if I should have 2 UD's or try to extend the Friday DD into Saturday morning, then start the UD of Sunday early on Sat night. Medium day sounds even easier.

MintQ8 06-17-2013 10:16 PM

Making the cupcakes wouldn't be easy on any diet - at least you can eat them on an UD!

FairyWren 06-17-2013 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallerizing (Post 16475075)
You can do a "medium" day???

I work the cals out by doing (UD cal allowance + DD cal allowance) divided by two = medium day allowance.

SlowSure 06-18-2013 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FairyWren (Post 16475114)
I work the cals out by doing (UD cal allowance + DD cal allowance) divided by two = medium day allowance.

Yes - Johnson says it's 60% which is what your calculation gives.

smallersizing, MDs work for some people, not everyone (like FairyWren, I do one at the weekend). They're useful to have in your back-pocket for after you have a couple of weeks or more of solid rotations to iron out any problems you might have with UD and DD and to initiate the flow of Sirt1 genes that Johnson discusses.

Kissa 06-19-2013 06:01 AM

Hmmm, chocolate is a killer. Try cooking with a peg on your nose?

Would love to see you posting on our Newbie thread, it is so helpful to all the Newbies to read our answers.

Here is a link, http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ju...-part-2-a.html

smallerizing 06-19-2013 07:52 PM

I made it through DD with only 232 calories. However, I cannot seem to stuff enough food in my face for the UD!! I only made it to 1709 out of the 2090 that I'm supposed to get. This WOE is harder than I thought it would be.

Pami 06-19-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallerizing (Post 16478359)
I made it through DD with only 232 calories. However, I cannot seem to stuff enough food in my face for the UD!! I only made it to 1709 out of the 2090 that I'm supposed to get. This WOE is harder than I thought it would be.

That's my problem- too hard to get the UD calories in. I'd lost 28 pounds, so
I thought I could re-evaluate my numbers, but this AM I got a nice surprise-
I'd had a 1 1/2 pound whoosh. Now having lost 30 pounds, I don't think I
should change anything (if it's not broke, don't fix it). BTW, the difference is
only like 40- 45 calories between my starting weight and starting weight
minus 28. Keep working at it- you might find yourself eating a spoonful of
mayo or butter, just to be able to count 100 more calories.

Kissa 06-20-2013 02:14 AM

Or a small glass of a lovely wine?

SlowSure 06-20-2013 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallerizing (Post 16478359)
However, I cannot seem to stuff enough food in my face for the UD!! I only made it to 1709 out of the 2090 that I'm supposed to get.

It's taken me a long time to make my UD kcals but it really seems to have helped that I did finally get there. Anything that isn't a trigger for you and is calorie dense can be helpful: for me, that's a cheeseboard after dinner rather than a pudding; a cup of cocoa maybe made with chocolate rather than cocoa powder; and these days, I'm experimenting with supplementing with Bob's Red Mill unmodified potato starch to influence my gut flora. (We are all our own lab rats and 4xTbsp of potato starch is 160kcals.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pami (Post 16478378)
That's my problem- too hard to get the UD calories in. I'd lost 28 pounds, so
I thought I could re-evaluate my numbers, but this AM I got a nice surprise-
I'd had a 1 1/2 pound whoosh. Now having lost 30 pounds, I don't think I
should change anything (if it's not broke, don't fix it).

Agreed on leaving things alone as long as they're working. Congratulations on the eviction of 30lbs. KUTGW :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kissa (Post 16478521)

Very medicinal and a source of calories that I keep forgetting about :)

smallerizing 06-20-2013 10:16 AM

Oooh, all good ideas, except the wine :lol: I'm not a drinker.

I could totally see myself snacking on butter and cheese!! I will also look into the potato starch option. Maybe that would be a good smoothie ingredient? I'm going to try to use fresh garden veggies for smoothies, so I can sneak kale into my diet.

Pami 06-20-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kissa (Post 16478521)

Evidently you missed my account of last night's cocktail-induced fiasco.
My "no eating after 7:00" was extended two and a half hours and low
carb took a hike. I did get all my calories in, though! As far as drinking,
I know I need a lot more practice!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowSure (Post 16478850)
Agreed on leaving things alone as long as they're working.
Congratulations on the eviction of 30lbs. KUTGW :)

Thank you SlowSure :hugs:

Pami 06-20-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kissa (Post 16476976)
Hmmm, chocolate is a killer. Try cooking with a peg on your nose?

I :heart: that you call them pegs!

Kissa 06-20-2013 11:32 AM

Old school Brit here Pami, what do you call them across the pond?

Sorry you can't manage the wine, but a glass of fruit juice is a high calorie indulgence too....