Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CarolinaCoast
Stats: 155/124.2/122-125
WOE: Chronic Experimenter
DDs And Hypoglycemia

My friend is interested in Juddd but is worried about her blood sugar on fasting days. Has anyone else had experience with this? What tips can you offer?
CarolinaCoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
Is your friend normally hypoglycemic?

I was worried about this in the beginning, as a diabetic, and I did have a few "shaky" days, but I would test my blood sugar and see that everything was fine.

Your friend should definitely test her bg throughout the day on her first few DD's. If she's running into trouble, she can spread out her calories and have mainly protein to keep her bg consistent. I know some diabetics have had issues, and especially those who are insulin dependent would have to be very careful and diligent, but for so many of us JUDDD has only improved the consistency of our A1C and other markers. I hope your friend gives it a try!
deedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I am not diabetic, nor have I been diagnosed with hypoglycemia. However, I used to always get really shaky and grumpy if I didn't eat soon enough upon waking, or went too long between meals. It was a real concern when I started JUDDD, with my husband even dreading my first DD.

I'm happy to report, I had virtually no issues. The first DD was a bit rough, but not too bad, and I now NEVER get shaky or grumpy from lack of food.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:59 AM   #4

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
normally this is only an issue for people taking meds for diabetes other than Metformin. if she is, then YES, it is a worry! you must adjust your meds to your carb intake. and varying it day to day is really difficult unless you are VERY good at it. please be careful!!! low blood sugars can be very dangerous.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

She doesn't take medication or insulin but finds that periods without food always make her shaky. She has to eat mini meals throughout the day to keep it steady. I'm really not even sure she checks her blood sugar. She's just found she has to be eating something frequently. I don't really have a lot of details.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

She might want to invest in a bg monitor. Wal Mart sells a VERY affordable (and I find very reliable) brand called the Relion Prime. I obviously can't speak for your friend's situation, but I know for myself that sometimes periods I've felt shaky my bg was actually completely fine. Sometimes it's the natural drop in blood sugar (which does not mean you're actually having a hypo) and sometimes it's something else. But without a monitor, your friend won't know what's going on.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
I am diagnosed as a severe reactive hypoglycemic. Low bloodsugar was a huge concern of mine going into JUDDD. I make sure my DD's are completely centered around protein and I keep a protein granola bar with me at all times incase it is needed. I won't say it never happens, but it doesn't happen near as often as I feared it would. Most of the time it is when an Up day evening meal or such isn't the best. If I focus most of my UD calories for lunch messes me up early DD's too! I also have never taken DD calories below 500c. Typically I eat between 600 - 700c on a DD. Hope that helps.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...rt-2-a-24.html
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks. This is all very helpful. I'll send her a link to this thread.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I was on the Byeatta injection 2x per day when I started JUDDD. Even with that injection I never had a hypo reaction. The first few DDs were not the best and I felt pretty yucky, but that pasted fairly soon. My BG is great now and I can go very easily for 20+ hours with 0 calories. I always have a bedtime snack since my Arthritis medication is supposed to be taken with food. I also find it hard to sleep if my stomach is grumbling.
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:03 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AndyBFK
Stats: 321/309/220 (JUDDD 2013) 325/313/225 (JUDDD 2014)
WOE: JUDDD/LC
Start Date: JUDDD 04/01/13 & again on 03/24/14
I think you got some good advice for your friend already. But, I'll chime in and say this was a major worry of mine. But, I've been fine. The only issue I had was not eating all day and then eating sugar/pure carb on an empty stomach. I went into a tailspin. The first few weeks, I kept a very strict all protein DD. I eased the carbs back in and was fine. Now I am trying to fast as much as I can on DD's and again, so far have been just fine. If I do feel shaky or just foggy, I do what Monica does. I carry high protein bars/shakes with me.
AndyBFK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Quote:
sometimes periods I've felt shaky my bg was actually completely fine.
This doesn't mean that it wasn't low blood sugar causing the problem. When blood sugar initially drops, your body released glucagon and epinephrine to get your body to manufacture and release more sugar into your blood stream. So your blood sugar can stay in the low normal range, but meanwhile you feel the effects of those hormones at work (shaky, dizzy, lightheaded).
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:30 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
This doesn't mean that it wasn't low blood sugar causing the problem. When blood sugar initially drops, your body released glucagon and epinephrine to get your body to manufacture and release more sugar into your blood stream. So your blood sugar can stay in the low normal range, but meanwhile you feel the effects of those hormones at work (shaky, dizzy, lightheaded).
I actually test constantly, so for my blood sugar to have dropped it would have had to be heightened to begin with, which it wasn't. It also never entered the low normal range, it remained in the 90's, consistent throughout the day. There was no difference between when I felt fine and when I felt shaky. In any case, those feelings went away after a few DD's as my body adjusted.

I realize not everyone is the same, and a blood glucose monitor isn't a cure for hypoglycemic episodes, but it's the best tool available to the general public in my opinion.