Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   My husband's foray into JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/805856-my-husbands-foray-into-juddd.html)

dawnyama 06-10-2013 02:42 PM

My husband's foray into JUDDD

I have introduced my husband into the diet world by storm. He has been introduced to Atkins 14 years ago, then came the hcg protocol 3 years ago, and then JUDDD just a short while ago. He, btw, does NOT need to lose an ounce! He loved Atkins because he loves meat :love: and I finally learned how to cook meat when I needed to eat it. He would eat whatever he wanted at work and during the day and when he got home after work he would eat my Atkins dinner I had prepared. What a champ :) Then came the hcg where he learned to not lean on me for meals :laugh: but the JUDDD.....well he sort of fell into it quite by circumstance. He needed to fast for the colonoscopy he had done a week or so ago. Oh, I should preface this by saying, he has asthma. Thought it was just a juvenille thing, until it came back a few years ago :sad: His breathing since then has been not so good. He has good days and bad days, but they are getting to be more bad than good. Not sure what is occurring but we DO know that the meds for it are making him worse. He has learned that breathing makes it better--not just regular breathing a certain type that he found through a book. What also makes his asthma better is not eating. Found this out by way of the fasting for 24 hours prior to that colon procedure. Like I said, he doesn't need to lose an ounce so I am worried about how it will effect his weight. He is 6'2" and weighs a good 175-180 lbs. So, does anyone know of anyone who is fasting every other day and NOT losing weight??? If he could, he would fast every day he feels so much better not eating. I, and he, think this has to do with inflammation. He finds it odd that he isn't even hungry on the down days. He has coffee and is fine having only that. His co-workers are amazed that he can go that long with eating nothing :eek:

So putting this out there to see if anyone else has a similar situation or have read on Johnson's site about this issue. Being on JUDDD, literally fasting eod, and not losing. Thanks for looking here and reading my long story, I appreciate it.

sunday 06-10-2013 02:53 PM

Hi Dawn,
Hmmm, could he be allergic to gluten? Or have a sensitivity? But either way, after he fasts for an induction of 2 weeks and has activated the Sirt-1, why not fast 5:2 so that he doesn't keep losing weight? Or IF 16:8? Just a thought. :)

ScienceDirect.com - Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology - Celiac disease confers a 1.6-fold increased risk of asthma: A*nationwide population-based cohort study

dawnyama 06-10-2013 02:58 PM

So is it the gene (SRT1) that makes him feel better? He says he can actually feel less inflammation when he fasts. Like I said, he would for sure eat nothing every single day to feel less pressure in his chest. He feels better with NO food whatsoever. I am not sure if he has celiac or not. That was another issue we talked about. He is Japanese so he won't give up his rice, thankfully that is gluten free LOL. We definitely think that celiac is the issue with our son who has developed asthma.

sunday 06-10-2013 03:04 PM

I have read so many that fasting has helped with asthma, but also in same token, I have read of many instances of it being relieved by giving up wheat. I developed asthma when I was 48 and had no idea what could have caused it? Just out of the blue. I went on an elimination diet. I was miserable. Couldn't even talk. So I empathize with your DH. :sad: Gave up wheat and grains and it completely went away. This is before I ever knew about fasting. Now, that I have been healed, if I ingest anything with wheat or gluten, I develop congestion almost instantly. I use to blame it on sugar, until I discovered that it was really gluten.

dawnyama 06-10-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunday (Post 16464531)
I have read so many that fasting has helped with asthma, but also in same token, I have read of many instances of it being relieved by giving up wheat. I developed asthma when I was 48 and had no idea what could have caused it? Just out of the blue. I went on an elimination diet. I was miserable. Couldn't even talk. So I empathize with your DH. :sad: Gave up wheat and grains and it completely went away. This is before I ever knew about fasting. Now, that I have been healed, if I ingest anything with wheat or gluten, I develop congestion almost instantly. I use to blame it on sugar, until I discovered that it was really gluten.

:up:

sunday 06-10-2013 03:10 PM

But to answer your question, YES, calorie restriction eases inflammation and helps tremendously with asthma. :)

desertgirl 06-10-2013 03:11 PM

I have historically bad digestion - definitely genetic.

I did IF a few years ago - Fast 5 - and only ate after 3 pm daily (sometimes as last as 5 or 6 PM) and my digestion was a million times better. Stuff that would give me a stomachache if I ate it at 10am, would be fine eating for dinner.

I'm not sure why that was, but it was true for me. Maybe look into Fast 5 for your DH? It might be worth a shot to fast daily - and eat in a window.

Librarygirl 06-10-2013 03:23 PM

Dawn, if he is okay with liquids maybe he could drink something with calories...not sure what to recommend, but I know others would know (or a doctor). He probably would prefer something thinner, than thick I'm guessing. That way, if he continues to fast comfortably eod, he'll still be getting some calories to help him maintain his weight. Just a thought.

Leo41 06-10-2013 03:27 PM

If you read Dr. Johnson's book, you'd learn that the only scientific study on the JUDDD plan demonstrated that it helped asthmatics--although no one is sure why that is.

In addition, although Dr. Johnson himself initially lost weight this way, he continues the plan for maintenance.

I would suggest that your husband do the 2 weeks of 500 cal DDs necessary to activate the SIRT1 gene. If he find himself losing weight, he can add to his UD calories to try to minimize the loss.

Then all he needs to do is follow Dr. J's plan. My memory is that he was doing 1000 cal DDs and 2500 cal UDs, but I'm not certain of the numbers.
In any case, I'm sure your husband could find a combination that will enable him to maintain his weight.

If he finds that he needs lower DDs to control his asthma (and he doesn't seem to have a problem with that), then eating more on his UDs should be enough to keep him from losing. You may want to look into some high caloric, less filling foods that he enjoys--e.g., nut butters or high fat dairy.

pooticus 06-10-2013 03:46 PM

Gosh Dawn, I hope you get it figured out cuz as an asthmatic, I know what your husband is saying is true! We feel better with SIRT1 turned on!

But you might also consider, that your hubby might have a glucose intolerance and the inflammation is due to insulin surges. And well you know where I'm going...rice...high glycemic stuff...I would sure try a rotation diet in addition to the JUDDD.

Don't let him eat the same thing more than every 4th day...3 days in between. It's easier than it sounds but dang it works!

Kimmietoo 06-10-2013 03:47 PM

Speaking with first hand knowledge of asthma for the last 45 years, mine virtually disappeared after the first two weeks on JUDDD. I haven't used the $360 per month inhaler at all since starting JUDDD, and infrequently need the other that was an additional $80 a month but will now be probably $20. Saving the $$$ is great, and appreciated, but the really big payback is I CAN BREATHE!!!! NO MORE WHEEZE BUCKET!!! It is incredible what the SIRT cleanup crew does for our bodies.

Quite a few people do JUDDD only for the health benefits. Like your hubby, they don't need to lose weight, but they do want and need to get healthy. Once the SIRTs are fully activated for your husband, he can go to maintenance DD calories and go over his UD calories for most of the difference between calculated UD / DD numbers and keep all of the wonderful benefits and not lose weight! He may have to play around with the numbers a bit, but it should work out fine.

I am absolutely delighted when I hear about others receiving the health benefits! It is nothing short of amazing!!!!

Kimmie

dawnyama 06-10-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimmietoo (Post 16464594)
Speaking with first hand knowledge of asthma for the last 45 years, mine virtually disappeared after the first two weeks on JUDDD. I haven't used the $360 per month inhaler at all since starting JUDDD, and infrequently need the other that was an additional $80 a month but will now be probably $20. Saving the $$$ is great, and appreciated, but the really big payback is I CAN BREATHE!!!! NO MORE WHEEZE BUCKET!!! It is incredible what the SIRT cleanup crew does for our bodies.

Quite a few people do JUDDD only for the health benefits. Like your hubby, they don't need to lose weight, but they do want and need to get healthy. Once the SIRTs are fully activated for your husband, he can go to maintenance DD calories and go over his UD calories for most of the difference between calculated UD / DD numbers and keep all of the wonderful benefits and not lose weight! He may have to play around with the numbers a bit, but it should work out fine.

I am absolutely delighted when I hear about others receiving the health benefits! It is nothing short of amazing!!!!

Kimmie

This sounds fantastic!!! He wants to breathe!!! I will tell him to wait for the Sirt1 to kick in and then see how it is. I have heard that going gluten free can help too. He is willing to try anything at this point. But his rice......that will take some talking into. He is Japanese and I think it flows in his veins :hyst::hyst: But just knowing that eating less will ease his symptoms has him hopeful. Like I said, he would rather eat nothing if it makes him breathe better. I feel so badly for him because I don't understand what he is going through. But looking at him struggling just breaks my heart :cry::cry: and to see my son have the same thing...we almost had to have our son admitted to the ER several times because he couldn't breathe. And he is only 7 years old. It is heartbreaking to watch and see and know you can do nothing once the attack starts.

GME 06-10-2013 04:40 PM

My son gets asthma from gluten. Your DH may not need to give up food altogether, just gluten.

Kimmietoo 06-10-2013 05:07 PM

Yes, asthma is frightening. The rice your hubby loves doesn't contain gluten, only carbs. As long as he's not carb sensitive the rice will probably not bother him. I have a number of friends with varying levels of gluten intolerance (from gas to full blown celiac) and they can eat rice. I wish you the very best of luck as you watch these wonderful and big improvements take shape! YAY!!!

Kimmie

LoCarbGal 06-10-2013 10:35 PM

Wow Dawn, that is exciting news! Very happy for him that he is finding asthma relief. JUDDD is magic in so many different ways.

pooticus 06-11-2013 05:09 AM

Dawn, if you're guys don't have peak flow monitors and know to test at the first sign of trouble, you should encourage them to know their peak levels and danger zones. That alone has done wonders for stress and anxiety about attacks!

I'm able to jump on an attack before it takes hold! Praise God! Maybe that could be a useful tool?

deedee 06-11-2013 07:46 AM

Dawn, I hope your husband loves JUDDD and it helps heal him! Being in so much pain from food that not eating is preferable sounds terrible.

This post has been very interesting to me. I have a type of acid reflux that makes it feel like I can't get enough breath, like I constantly have to yawn and even that doesn't work. I take Prilosec but it doesn't help much. This isn't a continual thing, it seems to pop up once or twice a year, usually when I'm congested or have a cold. But I wonder if there is a link to food. I still got this when I was very low carb, but even very low carb, I did eat some gluten. I know I should probably try the elimination diet one of these days, but it's such a massive undertaking.

Whitlin' 06-11-2013 02:08 PM

I was just thinking about how rice should not be a problem. Now, the most careful gluten intolerance folks might have specific opinions about which ones to include in diet, but I noticed at our ordinary grocery store recently the labels "gluten free" have appeared on several rice brand's packaging.

deedee, I would recommend the book, Dropping Acid to you and to anyone who realizes their acid reflux affects their breathing. It is written by Dr. Jamie Koufman, published in 2010. It explains the damage to our throat, airways, lungs and digestive system that reflux (which we all have to some degree) can do. She gives great advice on healing through diet by being aware of the ph of foods and drinks. I think she also has some articles on the internet.

deedee 06-11-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

deedee, I would recommend the book, Dropping Acid to you and to anyone who realizes their acid reflux affects their breathing. It is written by Dr. Jamie Koufman, published in 2010. It explains the damage to our throat, airways, lungs and digestive system that reflux (which we all have to some degree) can do. She gives great advice on healing through diet by being aware of the ph of foods and drinks. I think she also has some articles on the internet.
I just did a google search for this and right off the bat it looks like coffee is no good :(

But thank you for this! It's not something that happens all the time, but if it's something I can mitigate I'd like to. The idea of cutting out foods again is a little daunting but I'm definitely going to check the book out.