Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 10:02 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Moderate carb JUDDD
Start Date: February 2010
Coffee on an empty stomach causing nausea?

I haven't had this problem for awhile, *knock on wood*, but I used to have this problem of getting nauseous and sometimes actually sick if I drank coffee on an empty stomach. Has anyone else ever had this problem? Just curious.
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
No, thank goodness! It's often all I have until well into the afternoon, and I do so enjoy my coffee. But I remember my mom quitting coffee when I was a teenager - she was getting horrible stomach/abdominal cramps from it, and they went away when she quit. Yikes!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
No, thank goodness! It's often all I have until well into the afternoon, and I do so enjoy my coffee. But I remember my mom quitting coffee when I was a teenager - she was getting horrible stomach/abdominal cramps from it, and they went away when she quit. Yikes!
... night... I often start with medication and supplements at 5:30am, coffee 6:30am and first food 9pm on DDs.

I hope this problem doesn't linger.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #4

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I get terrible stomach problems from coffee without milk or cream, even with food.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Moderate carb JUDDD
Start Date: February 2010
I can do coffee on an empty stomach now, but I limit myself to 3 cups with HWC. (BP coffee doesn't seem to bother me at all) It's a strange thing. Once in a while, I still get naseous from it, but very rarely anymore. Thank goodness!
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:29 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: reptogirl
Stats: 333.2/317.2/ next weigh in 5/19
WOE: Induction 72
Start Date: March 30 2014
Sometimes I will get pains if I drink coffee and don't eat, and can feel the acid churning around and such, ugh....coffee can be very harsh, other times I can drink a cup and go all day and not eat and it doesn't bother me.
reptogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
DH can't drink coffee on empty. It can be pretty acidic, so best buffered with some milk, food or fat.

You shouldn't drink coffee that's been brewing a while, as it becomes very harsh on the system - tastes pretty naff too IMHO!

DS is a coffee geek and would suggest you only use organic coffee grown at high altitude and sundried immediately, so it's guaranteed mould-free. That's what the bullet-proof guy prescribes too. DS says he can drink that comfortably all day, whereas the ordinary stuff makes him feel rough after a while.
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:15 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Shelly_S
Stats: 225/174/155 5'2" 45yr
WOE: 2/1/13 Shangri La (225lb); 3/13/13 JUDDD (215 lbs)
Start Date: 3/13/13 - 28 weeks on JUDDD - 41 lbs gone/51 total
I had that issue a while back. These days I put a tsp of baking soda in a short glass and add just enough water to dissolve it, then hold my nose and drink it like a shot followed by a water chaser. The baking soda keeps my pH levels up so my body doesn't get too acidic. I also put an 1/8 tsp of baking soda in my coffee (16 oz) to neutralize the acid further. When I do the bulletproof exec special mold-free coffee like Flossyliz's DS I don't have as many issues with the acidity, but since I'm on a strict budget right now, I'm going thru a year's supply of Green Mountain Coffee that was given to me for free.

Last edited by Shelly_S; 06-09-2013 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: Typo
Shelly_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pinacoladas
Stats: 146/135 LC 5'5.5" female
WOE: LC + JUDDD
Start Date: ~2011 LC, June 2013 LC+JUDDD
Have you tried cold-brewing the coffee? I have interstitial cystitis, and anything too acidic can set off burning pains for me, which is not pleasant! I have found simply taking your regular coffee grounds and adding water (2 parts water to 1 part grounds) and mixing it in a glass jar overnight will produce a strong cold coffee concentrate. I haven't tried making hot coffee, however it makes great iced coffee! Just add a bit of water if it's too strong.

Cold-brewing coffee reduces the acid content and actually UPS the caffeine content considerably! I use dark roast beans ground fine at home from Starbucks, and I filter it with just a metal mesh filter and a bowl, stirring with a spoon. It sounds like a lot of work but if you take a couple minutes to mix it at night you will be very happy you did! Cold-brewed also has a different flavour, it's sweeter and less bitter. I find if I mix it with HWC and sf vanilla syrup it tastes a lot like chocolate milk!

Editing to add that when I was juice fasting, I would get dizzy and nauseous if I had too much to drink on an empty stomach. The only thing that helped this was eating unfortunately!

Last edited by pinacoladas; 06-12-2013 at 10:44 AM..
pinacoladas is offline   Reply With Quote