Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Coffee on an empty stomach causing nausea? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/805733-coffee-empty-stomach-causing-nausea.html)

Demonica 06-08-2013 10:02 AM

Coffee on an empty stomach causing nausea?

I haven't had this problem for awhile, *knock on wood*, but I used to have this problem of getting nauseous and sometimes actually sick if I drank coffee on an empty stomach. Has anyone else ever had this problem? Just curious.

LoCarbGal 06-08-2013 10:26 AM

No, thank goodness! It's often all I have until well into the afternoon, and I do so enjoy my coffee. But I remember my mom quitting coffee when I was a teenager - she was getting horrible stomach/abdominal cramps from it, and they went away when she quit. Yikes!

Carly 06-08-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoCarbGal (Post 16461514)
No, thank goodness! It's often all I have until well into the afternoon, and I do so enjoy my coffee. But I remember my mom quitting coffee when I was a teenager - she was getting horrible stomach/abdominal cramps from it, and they went away when she quit. Yikes!

... night... I often start with medication and supplements at 5:30am, coffee 6:30am and first food 9pm on DDs.

I hope this problem doesn't linger.

ravenrose 06-08-2013 11:56 AM

I get terrible stomach problems from coffee without milk or cream, even with food.

Demonica 06-08-2013 12:01 PM

I can do coffee on an empty stomach now, but I limit myself to 3 cups with HWC. (BP coffee doesn't seem to bother me at all) It's a strange thing. Once in a while, I still get naseous from it, but very rarely anymore. Thank goodness!:aprayer:

reptogirl 06-08-2013 03:29 PM

Sometimes I will get pains if I drink coffee and don't eat, and can feel the acid churning around and such, ugh....coffee can be very harsh, other times I can drink a cup and go all day and not eat and it doesn't bother me.

Flossyliz 06-09-2013 12:45 PM

DH can't drink coffee on empty. It can be pretty acidic, so best buffered with some milk, food or fat.

You shouldn't drink coffee that's been brewing a while, as it becomes very harsh on the system - tastes pretty naff too IMHO!

DS is a coffee geek and would suggest you only use organic coffee grown at high altitude and sundried immediately, so it's guaranteed mould-free. That's what the bullet-proof guy prescribes too. DS says he can drink that comfortably all day, whereas the ordinary stuff makes him feel rough after a while.

Shelly_S 06-09-2013 01:15 PM

I had that issue a while back. These days I put a tsp of baking soda in a short glass and add just enough water to dissolve it, then hold my nose and drink it like a shot followed by a water chaser. The baking soda keeps my pH levels up so my body doesn't get too acidic. I also put an 1/8 tsp of baking soda in my coffee (16 oz) to neutralize the acid further. When I do the bulletproof exec special mold-free coffee like Flossyliz's DS I don't have as many issues with the acidity, but since I'm on a strict budget right now, I'm going thru a year's supply of Green Mountain Coffee that was given to me for free.

pinacoladas 06-12-2013 10:35 AM

Have you tried cold-brewing the coffee? I have interstitial cystitis, and anything too acidic can set off burning pains for me, which is not pleasant! I have found simply taking your regular coffee grounds and adding water (2 parts water to 1 part grounds) and mixing it in a glass jar overnight will produce a strong cold coffee concentrate. I haven't tried making hot coffee, however it makes great iced coffee! Just add a bit of water if it's too strong.

Cold-brewing coffee reduces the acid content and actually UPS the caffeine content considerably! I use dark roast beans ground fine at home from Starbucks, and I filter it with just a metal mesh filter and a bowl, stirring with a spoon. It sounds like a lot of work but if you take a couple minutes to mix it at night you will be very happy you did! Cold-brewed also has a different flavour, it's sweeter and less bitter. I find if I mix it with HWC and sf vanilla syrup it tastes a lot like chocolate milk! :jumpjoy:

Editing to add that when I was juice fasting, I would get dizzy and nauseous if I had too much to drink on an empty stomach. The only thing that helped this was eating unfortunately!