Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
48 Weeks on JUDDD -- Still Losing

This week I weighed in at 247 lbs for a loss of 1 lb this week, a total of 43 lbs lost, 36 of them on JUDDD.

Though I've been kicking around the same few pounds for the past two months, the trend is definitely, indisputably, downward. And this week I saw a new and exciting low on the scale that I'm hoping to claim next week!

Low Points

Don't Understand My Up Day Behavior. Two days ago, I had an opportunity to execute a perfect up day. I had the groceries. I had planned ahead. My husband wasn't even home to tempt me. The day started out right, but somewhere around mid-afternoon when the lunch that I planned for wasn't as tasty as I expected, I started grazing. Dinner was similarly uninspiring, but I told myself that food was just fuel and whatever. I think that may have been a mistake. Because, almost as an act of sheer rebellion, knowing that I was going into a down day, I decided to have a milkshake. In my head, it was as if I was thinking, "I need one thing that tastes delicious today or I will not make it through tomorrow." What I should have been thinking is, "You can have the milk shake two days from now." or "You can be more lenient with yourself after July 4th." Not sure what the solution to this is other than willpower. Or perhaps, when I have a lunch that isn't tasty, just set it aside and get something else. Suggestions welcome here.

Skeptical About My Goal. I've wanted to get to a 50 lb loss by my JUDDDiversary and that's now four weeks away. For some people, losing 7 lbs in four weeks may not seem that challenging, but I know it's going to be tough for me since I lose slowly and because I am going on vacation before then. And because I have a sudden thing for milkshakes.

High Points

Good Attitude. Given that I'm now officially skeptical that I will make my goal, I could--and traditionally would--give up. But there's something about the incremental approach of JUDDD that makes me shrug and say, "It's just an arbitrary number. Get as close as you can to it and you're still ahead of the game." One of the things that I learned as an author is that it's a career about perseverance. Talent will take you only so far. Hard work will take you only so far. There will always be those spectacular success stories straight out of the gate, but the rest of us have to build a body of work. Slowly but surely. Book by book. Reader by reader. JUDDD has shown me that dieting is the same way. I will fight and claw for my 50 lb loss no matter what the calendar says because JUDDD has taught me that this is a battle about trend lines and perseverance.

Fiber Brownies. Vitalicious brownies are expensive and not even that tasty, but they have become a staple of my down days because I eat one in the afternoon with a big mug of Earl Grey tea and I'm pretty much set for the day--and at the very least, until dinner time. It's quite a pleasant and convenient ritual.

Double Down Days. I need to change my rotation this week to accommodate a long overdue brunch with my mother. Normally I'd put a medium day in there, but I'm not very good at medium days. Moreover, I had great success with multiple down days last week, so I'm just going to do it again. As I've said before, I don't recommend anyone else doing this. Especially not newbies. Some people see horrible results from it--the stress of it can stall weight loss. That hasn't, typically, been the case for me. But I am always extra mindful that it could become the case for me. The reason I put it down as a high point is that it's amazing to have the confidence of knowing that I can do a double down day if I decide to do it. That I have a whole arsenal of tools I never had before.

Wedding Anniversary. I celebrated my sixteenth wedding anniversary this week and realized that I weigh more than twenty pounds less than I did on my wedding day!
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
All wonderful observations! I just realized yesterday that DH and I both weigh less than we did when we started dating 14 years ago. How amazing is that?!

If nothing else, your at-ease-edness about getting to your goal and about how to handle upcoming rotation conflicts is a big WIN! in my book. You've got this. Nothing can hold you back. You will persevere!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
Yay for another pound down Steph! Congratulations to you and your husband on sixteen years!

Quote:
Not sure what the solution to this is other than willpower. Or perhaps, when I have a lunch that isn't tasty, just set it aside and get something else. Suggestions welcome
I would like suggestions on this too, because it happens to me all too often. I've seen so many people say that JUDDD has fixed their relationship with food and they no longer want to eat until they're beyond full, or that they can tell themselves they'll just have it in two days and that works. Neither of these options work for me. On an UD, I guess I feel like I've earned delicious food all day long. And the idea of going to bed hungry or unsatisfied and then waking up to a DD has been too much for me. I guess one option is to plan better and make sure there's always room for a delicious treat. But I don't want just a delicious treat, I want a whole day full of delicious!

So these Vitalicious brownies...you're eating them on a DD? and they're not making you ravenous?
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedee View Post
Yay for another pound down Steph! Congratulations to you and your husband on sixteen years!
Thank you!

Quote:
I would like suggestions on this too, because it happens to me all too often. I've seen so many people say that JUDDD has fixed their relationship with food.
It has not exactly done that for me, either. It has pointed out that I have a very complex relationship with food and that working _with_ that relationship instead of against it has been the key to my weight loss. But happy moderate appetite I experienced early on in JUDDD has long since gone.

Quote:
The idea of going to bed hungry or unsatisfied and then waking up to a DD has been too much for me.
And often for me too. I think if I had only a few pounds left to lose or it was a shorter term project, I could do it. But I know that I'll be doing this at least another few years. JUDDD is the only plan on which that statement alone does not send me into a fit of crushing depression, but it does still make it harder for me to turn down the milk shake.

Quote:
So these Vitalicious brownies...you're eating them on a DD? and they're not making you ravenous?
They're magical. I don't know how to explain it. I generally avoid carbs like the plague on a down day, and thought these brownies would send me into a tailspin, but thus far *knock on wood* they have been amazingly filling. I'm thinking of buying stock in the company.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #5

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
Great job this week Steph. Several things you mentioned really resonated for me:

1) What was this new low you saw, but didn't claim? And why didn't you claim it? Maybe my scale works a little differently, as it settles on an exact weight and doesn't show me the blippy up/down stuff.

2) You talk about UD food not tasting as good as you wanted it to. I've wondered about that in myself. I'll have something I normally love, but it feels like I've been cheated. I wonder if sometimes it's because it's too expensive calorie-wise, and doesn't feel like "enough". I'm not sure what it's all about, but I've definitely had that cheated-out-of-something-I-deserve feeling.

3)You also said "not sure what the solution to this is other than willpower". I have pondered the whole willpower thing to no end. Sometimes, my willpower is like iron, and there's nothing that can make me veer off plan. Other times, it just disappears and I am almost compelled to go grab something I shouldn't have. What is that all about? Chemicals? Hormones? Emotionally vulnerable moment? I can't quite figure it out. I feel like if I could I could rule the world. Or at least help a lot of people.

I'm so glad you're not stressing about your JUDDDiversary goal! Those goals can really become bigger than life (I know mine do - 100 pounds lost, getting to Onederland) and take over, when what we really need to do is exactly what you're doing. Just keep at it, knowing you'll get there in good time. Congratulations on that.

Also, happy 16th anniversary to you guys!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #6
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Wow, so it sounds like you are working through the head stuff really well Steph and congrats on your big loss!!!

Also congrats to you and hubby!

So I know what you mean about things not tasting like they should and so not fulfilling, but do you think it's possible for the future to make some kind of "good for you" milkshake and have supplies on hand so that you can have your milkshake and eat it too? (I'm thinking a half of a frozen banana and some coconut milk along with low carb homemade ice cream and maybe a bit of glucomannan would freaking rock?!

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
Quote:
They're magical. I don't know how to explain it. I generally avoid carbs like the plague on a down day, and thought these brownies would send me into a tailspin, but thus far *knock on wood* they have been amazingly filling. I'm thinking of buying stock in the company.
I think I have to try these now! But I'll start with an UD, just in case I want 5 in a row.
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/212/147 or size 8/10
WOE: 2000/1000 rotations, moderate carb
Start Date: 11/3/14; JUDDD 7/11/12
Yay for a pound lost and a new low spotted!

I know what you mean about the up days. It's so funny ... the "I can have that tomorrow" strategy works, but it can also lead to an expectation that I'm going to enjoy the heck out of my UD choices, and if they turn out to be not all that enjoyable, it makes me grumpy knowing that the next day is a DD. Don't know what the solution is, but to try to only have UD food you love? Can't always happen I guess. Then again, these days I also have to be careful to choose UD food that will also be filling, or again I will feel cheated somehow.

You have a marvelous attitude about your goal. You might get there, but we only have so much control about how fast the pounds come off, and you are so right ... however closer you might be and just staying on plan is a win!
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Happy Anniversary, Steph!!! It's so wonderful that you've been together 16 years, AND weigh less now! Sometimes, I have to remind myself how long I stayed overweight without doing anything about it, when I get impatient at not having gotten to a "perfect" size in 7 months lol. It's like, once I decided to lose weight, I wanted it gone THEN. Not possible, but isn't it wonderful to KNOW it will happen, even if it's in it's own time and not yours?

I sooo get the attitude about UDs. I have *just* begun to relax a little and not expect to have some marvelous meal or dessert every other day, lol. I resisted buying cake or some spectacular flavor of ice cream on my last UD and even ate a treat I usually have on DDs after my supper. Doubt that will happen often.

Congrats on the steady loss and the great attitude. I know you will get to your goal before you even expect it. You're doing great!!!

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Happy Anniversary to you and your white knight!

I use to feel like UD had to be really spectacular and then I felt disappointed when it was just mediocre. One day it hit me like a slap upside the head... You want every other day (for the rest of your life, perhaps,) to be spectacular? Well maybe if I were someone who could afford a personal chef, had unlimited funds or unlimited time to grocery shop and cook I could have spectacular meals every other day, but I my real life I have none of the above so I realized that some UDs will consist of not so great left overs or frozen pizza or other things that are quick and easy, because I just can't arrange "awesome" to happen eod. That was so liberating for me. It took the pressure off some how. I realized that eod was an opportunity to enjoy something yummy, but not a requirement... Opportunity vs. Requirement. So most UDs are just kind of average, run of the mill, quick dinners, but when we go out to my favorite Mexican place or favorite Thai place or favorite Korean place I really, really, enjoy it!

Your doing great Steph! I still remember your first post when you feared that the hunger pains would do you in... Now your doing double DDs!

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CarolinaCoast
Stats: 155/124.2/122-125
WOE: Chronic Experimenter
Hi Steph. Really appreciated your post. For some reason seeing that the food wasn't as wonderful as you anticipated sounds to me like it IS evidence of a healing relationship with food. I've seen this same thing in my case, and it encourages me because I'm realizing that food really doesn't have the awesome power of pleasure and satisfaction I've always assigned to it. It really isn't the greatest thing in life after all. Although for the moment, maybe milkshakes are.

Congratulations on your 16 years!
CarolinaCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:18 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Familyvet
Stats: 230/200/<160 5'8" 44yo
WOE: Atkins on and off for years, JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD 2/20/13
LCG-

I wish I had all the answers for you! And for me! I have read some stuff in the past that made a lot of sense to me from Overeaters Anonymous. They address compulsive eating and why some of us can "eat to live" and others of us cannot. They liken overeating to drug or alcohol addiction, with the main difference being that alcoholics or drug addicts can totally abstain from their addictions in order to conquer them, unlike compulsive overeaters, who must eat something in order to survive. They recommend abstinence from trigger foods among other things. They talk about how people use food to "fill the void" inside and "self-medicate", among other things.

I must admit that I never went through their 12-step program, but I think just reading about it and owning it has helped me make better choices. I know there is some truth to it for me, because I will start the day saying, "I'm only going to eat this" or "I'm not going to eat this" and then something small can derail me so easily. For example, if a client brings cupcakes to the office. I am not going to eat any, then a client is rude to me or whatever, then I only going to have one....the rest is history. This is much like an alcoholic who is not going to drink today, then just going to have one, and sooner or later has finished off the bottle and wakes up full of remorse and guilt, which triggers the whole process again. It is obviously more difficult to draw the line with food, but it seems, at least for me, that much the same processes can be in play.

Sorry for the thread jack. Thanks for the update, Steph, and HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!
John 3:16
I am a WHOSOEVER!!!!
Familyvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:18 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/145.8/145
Start Date: March 2012
Happy Anniversary Steph and congratulations on the loss of another pound!
I had problems with not sailing well past my UD calorie allotment for quite some time. One thing that seemed to help for me was to pick one UD were I would plan to have an UUAD (usually a weekend UD). This helped rein in my weekday UD's. I am sure it slowed down my weight loss but mentally I just needed to know that at some time during the week I could be full! It was also good because it was planned so I felt in control and didn't feel like I had "failed". Surprisingly I didn't always need the planned UUAD but I didn't worry about if I needed it. Not sure if planned binging is good advice but it was happening anyway. Now I am going to see if I have milkshake ingredients ready for tomorrow...
Old 06-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #14

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Another truly helpful post Steph.

Well done on the pound down, the promised new low and, especially, on your Wedding Anniversary. Ours was this week too, June 4th, and we doubled yours.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ohcmb
Stats: 205/191/160
Start Date: 2014 Restart
Steph, you are so inspiring and I love your posts!
ohcmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:01 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
Happy Anniversary to you and your white knight!

I use to feel like UD had to be really spectacular and then I felt disappointed when it was just mediocre. One day it hit me like a slap upside the head... You want every other day (for the rest of your life, perhaps,) to be spectacular? Well maybe if I were someone who could afford a personal chef, had unlimited funds or unlimited time to grocery shop and cook I could have spectacular meals every other day, but I my real life I have none of the above so I realized that some UDs will consist of not so great left overs or frozen pizza or other things that are quick and easy, because I just can't arrange "awesome" to happen eod.
You are a genius
Old 06-12-2013, 12:02 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babsbabs View Post
Not sure if planned binging is good advice but it was happening anyway...
I'm learning to work WITH reality, so I think it's pretty good advice
Old 06-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
Great job this week Steph. Several things you mentioned really resonated for me:

1) What was this new low you saw, but didn't claim? And why didn't you claim it?
I only claim my official weight on the date of my weekly weigh in. So I saw a lower number the day before, but I didn't count it
Old 06-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Another truly helpful post Steph.

Well done on the pound down, the promised new low and, especially, on your Wedding Anniversary. Ours was this week too, June 4th, and we doubled yours.
Awww!!!

Congratulations!
Old 06-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooticus View Post
Wow, so it sounds like you are working through the head stuff really well Steph and congrats on your big loss!!!

Also congrats to you and hubby!

So I know what you mean about things not tasting like they should and so not fulfilling, but do you think it's possible for the future to make some kind of "good for you" milkshake and have supplies on hand so that you can have your milkshake and eat it too? (I'm thinking a half of a frozen banana and some coconut milk along with low carb homemade ice cream and maybe a bit of glucomannan would freaking rock?!
In fairness, I made my milkshake with coconut milk and CarbSmart 90 calorie per serving ice cream, so it wasn't a total blow out.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calichris View Post
Yay for a pound lost and a new low spotted!

I know what you mean about the up days. It's so funny ... the "I can have that tomorrow" strategy works, but it can also lead to an expectation that I'm going to enjoy the heck out of my UD choices, and if they turn out to be not all that enjoyable, it makes me grumpy knowing that the next day is a DD. Don't know what the solution is, but to try to only have UD food you love? Can't always happen I guess. Then again, these days I also have to be careful to choose UD food that will also be filling, or again I will feel cheated somehow.

You have a marvelous attitude about your goal. You might get there, but we only have so much control about how fast the pounds come off, and you are so right ... however closer you might be and just staying on plan is a win!
Thank you. I'm going to give it my best, but I'm not going to let it ruin my vacation.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:08 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Happy Anniversary, Steph!!! It's so wonderful that you've been together 16 years, AND weigh less now! Sometimes, I have to remind myself how long I stayed overweight without doing anything about it, when I get impatient at not having gotten to a "perfect" size in 7 months lol. It's like, once I decided to lose weight, I wanted it gone THEN. Not possible, but isn't it wonderful to KNOW it will happen, even if it's in it's own time and not yours?
I hear you!!!
Old 06-12-2013, 12:09 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohcmb View Post
Steph, you are so inspiring and I love your posts!
Aww, thank you! If I didn't make them every week I'm sure I would have fallen into a chocolate cake never to be heard from again.