Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CarolinaCoast
Stats: 155/120.2/120
WOE: Hunger Diected Eating (HDE)/JUDDD
Start Date: April 8, 2014 HDE, June 6, 2014 HDE/JUDDD
LowCarbGal's HWC DD Experiment

LCG hope you don't mind me starting this thread, but I'd like to hear how it's going for you today and if you're going to try to on subsequent DDs. I think I'd like to try it, too. It would be like the Atkins Fat Fast. May be very interesting.
CarolinaCoast is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lumina
Stats: 237.6/189/189/135
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: February 11, 2014
Not sure what LCG is doing (sorry!) but I only ever have cream in my coffee for DDs, never food. Have since the beginning. It's worked well for me (I've been as low as 172.8, so over 20lbs since march 27th) but its caused other issues.

If I eat on DDs I gain (which is why I'm back up to 178.8 today.. I ate my last DD and ended up gaining that day, even though I was at <500 cals that day) and the last time
I are on a dd the same thing happened. It could be a coincidence, and if I kept eating on DDs I may see that I'd start losing again.

That's been my experience though.

ETA: I also always have large bounces, both on UDs and DDs. Up 2-3lbs, down 3-4, every time. I don't know if that's because Im not low carb on my UDs or not, but figured I'd mention that part as well.

Last day of March: 188.6 (-4.4)
Last day of April: 180.8 (-7.8)
Last day of May: 174.8 (-6.0)
Last day of June: 163.6 (-11.2)
Last day of July: 162.2 (-1.4) [took a maintenance break for the month... Back into WLM for August]

Total loss: 30.8 lbs

Last edited by Lumina; 06-04-2013 at 02:09 PM..
Lumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Her plan was to have a DD of only coffee with HWC to make up her total calories. It sounds intriguing. It sounds like what you're doing.

Last edited by CarolinaCoast; 06-04-2013 at 02:26 PM..
Old 06-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
CC, I don't mind at all! In fact, I'm curious to see how it'll work, so I'm glad other(s) may be too. Funny you mentioned the fat-fast, 'cause that was totally what I was thinking too. In fact, according to my calorie counter, I'll have 93% of my calories from fat today doing this.

So far (2:20 pm) I've only had one large coffee with 2T HWC. I'm about to have my 2nd cup in a few minutes. I have had some tummy growls, but haven't felt hungry - if that makes any sense. It wasn't enough to make me get up and make another cup. I'm really only having one now because I'll be running around until mid-evening and won't have the chance until then, so I don't want to get too hungry.

I had some slight nausea around noon, but I know that's because I took my vitamins around 11:20. I typically get that feeling for a few minutes when I've taken them w/o anything substantial on my stomach. I've been awful about taking my vitamins (multi, calcium, D3) lately, mostly because of it being difficult to do on DDs w/o feeling that sicky feeling. Don't like it. But I have been wondering if my slow losses have been having to do with that, especially not taking my D3, which I understand being deficient can be a cause for slow losses or even gains. I'm going to try to be vigilant and take them daily from now on.

So on the whole, I'm feeling good, plenty of energy, no real hunger. I'll keep you all posted, especially after tomorrow morning's weigh-in. If this goes well, I may make it one of my go-to DD routines!

P.S. Lumina, I've read your posts for a long time, but never made the connection that you do this most DDs. It really is quite satisfying, isn't it? Thanks for adding your perspective!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!

Last edited by LoCarbGal; 06-04-2013 at 02:30 PM..
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

I'm trying it Thursday. Will report back.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/132/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
Will be interesting to see how it goes!
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:25 PM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Felt great all day. Just a few rumbles in the tummy. I actually didn't drink 4 big mugs after all. Had my "dinner" mug around 7:15 tonight, and boosted from 2T to 3T of HWC (yummmmm) and called it a day at 350 calories. Now, please please please let me have lost at tomorrow's weigh-in!
Old 06-05-2013, 01:18 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jdforshort
Stats: 221/155/136, 5'4", 60yrs
WOE: Atkins/PPower/Mod Carb/JUDDD
Start Date: LC 3/23/12, JUDDD 6/2/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
CC, I don't mind at all! In fact, I'm curious to see how it'll work, so I'm glad other(s) may be too. Funny you mentioned the fat-fast, 'cause that was totally what I was thinking too. In fact, according to my calorie counter, I'll have 93% of my calories from fat today doing this.

So far (2:20 pm) I've only had one large coffee with 2T HWC. I'm about to have my 2nd cup in a few minutes. I have had some tummy growls, but haven't felt hungry - if that makes any sense. It wasn't enough to make me get up and make another cup. I'm really only having one now because I'll be running around until mid-evening and won't have the chance until then, so I don't want to get too hungry.

I had some slight nausea around noon, but I know that's because I took my vitamins around 11:20. I typically get that feeling for a few minutes when I've taken them w/o anything substantial on my stomach. I've been awful about taking my vitamins (multi, calcium, D3) lately, mostly because of it being difficult to do on DDs w/o feeling that sicky feeling. Don't like it. But I have been wondering if my slow losses have been having to do with that, especially not taking my D3, which I understand being deficient can be a cause for slow losses or even gains. I'm going to try to be vigilant and take them daily from now on.

So on the whole, I'm feeling good, plenty of energy, no real hunger. I'll keep you all posted, especially after tomorrow morning's weigh-in. If this goes well, I may make it one of my go-to DD routines!

P.S. Lumina, I've read your posts for a long time, but never made the connection that you do this most DDs. It really is quite satisfying, isn't it? Thanks for adding your perspective!
LCG, This is very interesting. I feel that way too when I take my vitamins on empty or just coffeed stomach and yes, i've been remiss on D3 as well. I'll have to start taking that again! I have a question for you, are you able to sleep OK ? I find I am restless all night on DDs even though I eat 500-600 cals
jdforshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:33 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

jdforshort, don't mean to answer for her, but I, too, have trouble sleeping on DDs. Last night I was up at 12:30, stayed up half an hour and tried again. I was up for good at 3:40. But the strange thing is I don't feel tired. I have plenty of energy, so I guess it's ok. I figure when I'm genuinely tired, I'll sleep. Have you found any tricks to help?
Old 06-05-2013, 03:02 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/114/115-120
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Just as a general comment about D3 that may or may not be relevant to jdforshort and LCG. There's some indication that taking D3 in the afternoon or evening can lead to sleep difficulties.

It's not a great explanation but vitamin D is more like a steroid than it is a vitamin. Taking a dose is like being exposed to some sunshine (and some people's bodies interpret that as early morning). It is thought that, for some people, this can disturb sleep. Seth Roberts did an expt. where people who took their D3 later in the day, started to take it in the morning, and they slept better. Not a rigorous trial but an interesting result.

As for general DD alertness and lack of sleep - again, it's a theory, and I loathe evolutionary explanations for diet behaviour - but researchers explain some gender differences in study results by theorising that some women respond to a lack of calories with enhanced clarity, quick-thinking and alertness (to the point of sleep disturbance or insomnia) because all of these promote better ability to spot food sources.

LCG, I wonder if you're taking a multivit with iron because iron can make people feel unwell on an empty tum.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:35 AM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCoast View Post
jdforshort, don't mean to answer for her, but I, too, have trouble sleeping on DDs. Last night I was up at 12:30, stayed up half an hour and tried again. I was up for good at 3:40. But the strange thing is I don't feel tired. I have plenty of energy, so I guess it's ok. I figure when I'm genuinely tired, I'll sleep. Have you found any tricks to help?
Most of us had trouble sleeping on DDs in the beginning. I know that I did. It seems to work itself out, over time though. I never have trouble sleeping now--only trouble turning out the light and going to bed.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:39 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Planelman
Stats: 350.1/206.4/190(10%BF) 6' 44
WOE: Leangains/Carb Backloading
Start Date: 7/14/2011
In the beginning the trouble sleeping on DD's I attributed to hunger, and I really felt that hunger and just tried to get through the night so I could eat in the morning. But now on some, not all, DD's it is excess energy that keeps me awake or wakes me in the night. I'm just not tired, or I apparently slept enough. I'm awake a good portion of the night sometimes, but I'm still full of energy the next day so I definitely got enough sleep. Seems like another advantage of IF and JUDDD that we can actually be more productive and get more stuff done. Most other calorie restricted weight loss plans I have done leave me fairly tired most of the time and generally run down.

159.3 Pounds lost since 7/14/2011

Low Calorie: 7/14/2011 - 80lbs lost
Primal: 4/20/2012 - 55.3lbs lost
JUDDD: 4/10/2013 - 23.4lbs lost
Nutritional Ketosis 9/1/2013 - 15.4% BF
Planelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:10 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Yes! It's that energy. No matter how early I wake up, I feel rested. On DDs I feel like I'm high!
Old 06-05-2013, 07:43 AM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/155.4/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
Just as a general comment about D3 that may or may not be relevant to jdforshort and LCG. There's some indication that taking D3 in the afternoon or evening can lead to sleep difficulties.

It's not a great explanation but vitamin D is more like a steroid than it is a vitamin. Taking a dose is like being exposed to some sunshine (and some people's bodies interpret that as early morning). It is thought that, for some people, this can disturb sleep. Seth Roberts did an expt. where people who took their D3 later in the day, started to take it in the morning, and they slept better. Not a rigorous trial but an interesting result.

As for general DD alertness and lack of sleep - again, it's a theory, and I loathe evolutionary explanations for diet behaviour - but researchers explain some gender differences in study results by theorising that some women respond to a lack of calories with enhanced clarity, quick-thinking and alertness (to the point of sleep disturbance or insomnia) because all of these promote better ability to spot food sources.

LCG, I wonder if you're taking a multivit with iron because iron can make people feel unwell on an empty tum.
Very interesting. I had a horrible night last night of tossing and turning and when I did sleep, nightmares abounded. It was my first DD in a few weeks, so I thought maybe it was that. BUT, I only ate twice yesteday, so I took my calcium/D3 with dinner, so maybe that had something to do with it. I usually take it at lunch.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:57 AM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdforshort View Post
LCG, This is very interesting. I feel that way too when I take my vitamins on empty or just coffeed stomach and yes, i've been remiss on D3 as well. I'll have to start taking that again! I have a question for you, are you able to sleep OK ? I find I am restless all night on DDs even though I eat 500-600 cals
Actually, I'm very lucky in that I've always been a great sleeper. JUDDD hasn't changed that for me. I mean, I have my occasional fitful night, or struggle to fall or stay asleep, but for me it's the exception, not the rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post

Very interesting SS. My multi does have iron - 18mg or 100% RDA - it's a multi for women. When I need to resupply, I may look for something without. I'm sure I get plenty of iron - I'm a red meat kinda girl. It's funny, for years and years I took my vitamins first thing in the morning and never had them affect me like that. Then I started noticing the sick feeling when I added probiotics. I stopped taking them when I felt some tummy/allergy issues had resolved, but had added D3 by then. Who knows...

So, the results for this morning's weigh-in are........drum-roll...........down from 210.5 to 207.0! Now, it may be the result of the HWC DD, or it may be my normal post-TOM whoosh. It may also be that this is my week(ish) to lose really well, which I typically do have each month. I'm not drawing any quick conclusions. I do know that only drinking yesterday, and having it be mostly fat, was very comfortable for me. I will probably continue to do that on some DDs. I'll brew a pot of coffee and keep it in a big jar in the fridge for iced coffee/HWC during the day (it's going to be 112* here later this week!) Now I know I can do it, and I'm not particularly hungry this morning and slept good last night. I'd call it a conditional success.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:13 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
So, the results for this morning's weigh-in are........drum-roll...........down from 210.5 to 207.0!
Nice!

I'm going to have to give HWC a try on tomorrows DD. I'm looking for a big drop by Friday. I had some HWC in my coffee on my last DD and I was not hungry at all most of the day until after I had dinner around 7pm. As soon as I ate though I was hungry and snacked a bit more and before you know it I had 600+ for the day. I also went to the gym, so maybe I needed it. But for a non-gym day, HWC as the only calories for the day might be interesting.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:13 AM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks Mike! I hope it works for you too!
Old 06-05-2013, 08:18 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

WOW!!! Now that's a woosh!! This will be a very interersting experiment.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lumina
Stats: 237.6/189/189/135
Start Date: February 11, 2014
Just in interest of giving a second persons set of information: yesterday I was 178.8, had my normal only HWC coffee and diet soda day, down to 174.4 this morning, goin back down to before my last DD where I ate.

It does work for me, but I caution to expect bigger UD bounces than you may be used to, at least it's true for me!
Lumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:28 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Goner
Stats: 184/158/157 restart 5-1-14 165.5/164/154
Start Date: May 2013
Congrats on the whoosh, whatever the cause. I take my vitamins at dinner, including D3. When I take them in the morning, I get that sick stomach feeling. I am also a GREAT sleeper, always have been.

What I did notice on DDs is I go to bed earlier and get up earlier - still sleeping well. Part of it is I do not notice more energy on DDs as others note, and also I never get up to eat once I'm in bed - so it's less time to be tempted to snack.

I would like to find something for DDs that does not require thought and fixing. Haven't come up with it yet though. Coffee with heavy cream is possible. Thanks for the info.
Goner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:08 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
This thread is going all kinds of interesting directions! I have a pot of coffee in the frig too! I drink coffee hot or cold with this stuff called chocolate soy slender, which is 70 cals a cup (I use about 1/4 cup per mug/class of coffee). I love it but it is lowfat so would not work for a fat fast type thing. I also love HWC, might try it sometime. This sounds fun to me and great results so far, LCG. Glad you enjoyed it!
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks Mike! I hope it works for you too!
LCG - Do you use any type of sweetener? And do you do decaf later in the day?

On up days I usually use Truvia and DaVinchi's sugar free flavoring with my HWC. Just wondering if it would negatively affect the "fat fast". And I try not to have coffee too late so it won't affect my sleep. I can sometimes have coffee late with no affect, but other times it can keep me up way too late.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
I'm concentrating on eating LC before coming back - again - to JUDDD and mix the two. Last year, when I was doing LC/JUDDD, I used lots of HWC and full fat (drained) Dannon plain yogurt to keep me satisfied on a DD. I'd have coffee in the morning for breakfast, lunch, and a mid-afternoon snack. All with a mixture of Splenda/Truvia and some SF syrup. I'd save the yogurt for late afternoon and dinner, or have a great concoction of lc "blueberry cobbler" I found on here.

Fat, more than protein, helps keep me sated on a DD.

vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/132/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
Great results! Today was a DD but tomorrow will be a MD and I won't eat until 8pm after my weekly weigh in so I might try to have coffee up until then. I don't have HWC since work only provides half and half LOL I guess I can't complain since it's free!
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #25
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
LCG, I used to take a multi with iron and it made me very sick. I tried several times, and realized the iron was what was doing it. My co-workers were convinced I was preggos, lol.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:07 PM   #26
Big Yapper!!!!

I can't believe everyone is so interested in this experiment! Thanks for starting it CC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumina View Post
Just in interest of giving a second persons set of information: yesterday I was 178.8, had my normal only HWC coffee and diet soda day, down to 174.4 this morning, goin back down to before my last DD where I ate.

It does work for me, but I caution to expect bigger UD bounces than you may be used to, at least it's true for me!
Very interesting about the bigger bounces, Lumina. I've been having those recently anyway, so I'm glad to be aware it could happen even more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planelman View Post
LCG - Do you use any type of sweetener? And do you do decaf later in the day?

On up days I usually use Truvia and DaVinchi's sugar free flavoring with my HWC. Just wondering if it would negatively affect the "fat fast". And I try not to have coffee too late so it won't affect my sleep. I can sometimes have coffee late with no affect, but other times it can keep me up way too late.
I do use about 3 drops of Sweetzfree (liquid sucralose) in each 12-14 oz mug. I've never really felt that AS cause problems for me, and I love my sweet, creamy coffee! I don't use any decaf at all. I've always drank tea and soda (when I used to drink it regularly) freely up until bedtime with no ill effects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
LCG, I used to take a multi with iron and it made me very sick. I tried several times, and realized the iron was what was doing it. My co-workers were convinced I was preggos, lol.
Well, I know that ain't the case for me! I had no idea iron would do that. Cause the nausea I mean. I have a pretty good idea how the preggo happens. Cabbage patch, right?
Old 06-06-2013, 02:37 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Ok, today's my first try at this. I'm curious as to how I'll feel. Just took my vitamins and feel a little sicky, but it will pass pretty quickly.

Everybody have a great day!
Old 06-06-2013, 03:09 AM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/114/115-120
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
I've been trying out MCT oil and sunflower-derived lecithin in my coffee since last week (both DD and UD: the lecithin is more to help it emulsify than any other reason). This is part of a planned transition to experimenting with a ketogenic flavour of the Perfect Health Diet (within a JUDDD framework) to see if I can mitigate the frequency and intensity of the migraines, without resorting to pharmaceutical intervention.

From Monday, I intend to increase the amount of MCT oil-boosted coffee/tea/cocoa I drink on both DDs and UDs (like LCG, I'm fairly insensitive to caffeine): the MCT oil will be around 80% of the DD calories.

Would it be OK to post my MCT DD results in this thread to collect our data sets?
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:18 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Absolutely! The more the merrier!
Old 06-06-2013, 05:33 AM   #30
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
LCG - can't wait to see how it goes for you! DO TELL!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote