Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 11:24 AM   #151
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: Low Carb ala JUDDD
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
I also think you want to look at the ingredients and make sure there are no added sweeteners or additives.
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2013, 08:35 PM   #152
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6/239.2/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 9 June 2013
Thanks
MintQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:08 AM   #153
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 135 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla_latte View Post
Oh, it is. Yes. It is.

I buy copious amounts of full fat plain yogurt in the big tub (Dannons) and strain it so it comes out like Greek yogurt (thick). There's some debates on whether or not you can count half the calories/carbs as the whey strains out (I do). So ..

On a DD, I take about a cup of yogurt, add a little Splenda, some sprinkles of SF Jello mix (love key lime or strawberry) and a few squirts of canned whipped topping, and mix it all up.

On an UD, I double it and use some low-sugar jam instead of the jello.

I freeze it awhile before eating and once you get the freezing time down, it has the texture of thick pudding or even soft ice cream.
My curiosity has gotten the better of me. Why don't you buy greek yogurt instead of going through the straining process? By the way, it sounds delicious and I want to try it, but would I get the same results just by buying greek yogurt in the first place?

ETA: I tried this HWC experiment on Friday and had very unmanageable hunger. The worst part was having already gotten so many calories from HWC. Then I ended up getting about 900 calories total because I was ravenouos lol. I am very envious of those of you who can fast with liquids only, without having to grit your teeth to get through it.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*

Last edited by Librarygirl; 06-23-2013 at 06:16 AM..
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:26 AM   #154
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Could be price. Where I am, the Greek Yogurt is twice the price and half the size. Plus I also prefer Dannon over the Greek brands available to me. Easy enough to strain and I get the same thing but better flavor or at least more what I like.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:23 AM   #155
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
Could be price. Where I am, the Greek Yogurt is twice the price and half the size. Plus I also prefer Dannon over the Greek brands available to me. Easy enough to strain and I get the same thing but better flavor or at least more what I like.
I get the Dannon Oikos 0% Greek yogurt in the big tub for about $5.00. I'm not sure how that compares to the non-Greek version, but it's still Dannon, and I'm too lazy to do all that work!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:30 AM   #156
Big Yapper!!!!

Same here, Dawn. I don't even know where to find cheesecloth.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:32 AM   #157
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MintQ8 View Post
Thanks
From what I've been reading, Double Cream is the closest to HWC, although far superior, I've learned. Our climate is not such that we can distribute un-pasteurized cream widely, so that explains why we have the inferior sort.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:42 AM   #158
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/114/118-125
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Our climate is not such that we can distribute un-pasteurized cream widely, so that explains why we have the inferior sort.
We don't export much clotted cream because its butterfat is somewhere between 55-65% which actually counts as butter in some benighted countries (but not the UK). Irish Coffee needs double cream so that it floats properly on top and you can acquire the correct cream moustache.

Mind, the Swiss don't export La Gruyere Double Cream either - possibly because it's so delightful they can't bring themselves to share it but also because it doesn't travel well.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:52 AM   #159
Big Yapper!!!!

Actually, there are some supermarkets in the US that carry imported clotted cream, and double cream. None in my vicinity that I am aware of, however. We do have a place now that sells local raw milk though. I haven't tried it.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:46 AM   #160

I've seen clotted cream at Fresh and Easy and Whole Foods. It's yummy.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #161
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Interesting - I've taken a look at some of the ones available at Amazon and elsewhere. It's not entirely clear which one people are eating as Cornish Clotted Cream is now a protected designation. Are the ones in the shops imported or produced in the US from Jersey cows or a breed with a similar milk?

I see that Amanda Fisher makes a range of Devonshire Clotted Cream in NC that is well received. It's given me a pang for the tea shops in Devon that offer a jam menu as part of their afternoon tea. (Some places make jam every day from whichever fruit is ripe in their gardens.)

I now need to go and eat a spoon of double cream with some lime curd. That's what thinking about Cream Teas does to you.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:35 AM   #162
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6/239.2/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 9 June 2013
Just as a kindness, I promise to have a Cream Tea (on an UD!) when I'm in Devon next week!
MintQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #163
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/121.4/120
WOE: my version of healthy diet mixed with JUDDD :)
Quote:
I use coffee filters to drip the yogurt. Just put 2-3 coffee filters in the sieve over a bowl to catch the whey.

ETA: never mind, I just saw you don't want to be bothered with making greek yogurt

I find it the most economical to make yogurt and than drip it to make the best greek yogurt at 1/2 price of store bought. It takes no time since I have yogurt maker.

Last edited by tobelowcarber; 06-23-2013 at 12:02 PM..
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:05 PM   #164
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I will have to try the clotted cream next time. I have seen in whole foods but never tried it.

All this talk about fast fat DD makes me think of trying it myself. I don't drink coffee or tea but will try it with herbal tea (someone actually posted about on the main board). I will probably have mac nuts and cream or CO.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #165
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

ETA: I tried this HWC experiment on Friday and had very unmanageable hunger. The worst part was having already gotten so many calories from HWC. Then I ended up getting about 900 calories total because I was ravenouos lol. I am very envious of those of you who can fast with liquids only, without having to grit your teeth to get through it.
Cindy- I am also little apprehensive about having liquids only. When I try this experiment I will be adding macadamia nuts, to have little crunch. They are so high in calories that probably I will have to have 3 nuts at the time
Old 06-23-2013, 02:52 PM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
Interesting - I've taken a look at some of the ones available at Amazon and elsewhere. It's not entirely clear which one people are eating as Cornish Clotted Cream is now a protected designation. Are the ones in the shops imported or produced in the US from Jersey cows or a breed with a similar milk?

I see that Amanda Fisher makes a range of Devonshire Clotted Cream in NC that is well received. It's given me a pang for the tea shops in Devon that offer a jam menu as part of their afternoon tea. (Some places make jam every day from whichever fruit is ripe in their gardens.)

I now need to go and eat a spoon of double cream with some lime curd. That's what thinking about Cream Teas does to you.
I don't have any on-hand currently to verify, but the one I've seen and purchased is labeled as Devonshire, and imported from the UK.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:28 AM   #167
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AndyBFK
Stats: 321309/220 (JUDDD 2013) 325/319/225 (JUDDD 2014)
WOE: JUDDD/LC
Start Date: JUDDD 04/01/13 & again on 03/24/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBFK View Post
First Day- Made it until 3:00 and I was starving. Hmmmm, that's not really like me. I also felt my blood sugar drop around noon which doesn't usually happen to me from fasting. I usually have BS issues when I fast and then eat something high in carb/sugar. Since starting JUDDD I haven't had any issues with my BS and not eating for long stretches on DDs. Could have been the after effects of my UUAD the day before including a HIGH carb late evening dinner.
I picked up a package of thin sliced turkey when I was at the store for other things. High protein, no carb, very low in cal. I had about 25 cal worth. Which is just a few pieces. But then I found myself going back for another few pieces and then again.
By 6:00, I was out of my mind starving. I decided to run some errands and got a decalf with HWC but it did nothing for my hungries. I decided to go to a movie just to give myself something to do to keep my mind off food. By 10pm when it got out I was ravenous. And since I'm out of town for work, I had nothing to fall back on. Hit up Wendys for delux hamburger 250 cal and more of the turkey when I got back to the hotel.

Still ended the day at 450 which is lower than my 514 allowed. (If I properly counted how much HWC Starbucks was actually putting into my coffee). But, I was hungrier than normal and experienced BS issues which has not been normal. And I got no where near my goal of liquid fasting only. Will try again on Friday and see how things turn out. I was hungry, but my achilles heel may have been giving in and eating those first few slices of turkey because it did all go downhill after that. Not totally ready to declare it a failure for me yet, too many other variables.

I missed posting my second day on this, but I wish I would've as it was totally different. I watched my carb intake the night before as I felt that my BS issues that first time were really related to that. And I think that helped. I was VERY happy and successful on HWC and coffee all day (and YES, I had them add ALOT more this time. I think LCG was right, I wasn't using enough in my coffee). I was full, satisfied, felt energized, and no BS issues at all. I managed a full 24 hours of liquid only and maybe 400 cal in nothing but HWC. I was fine to end my day like that. But..... then we got an offer to go out late Friday night and I ended up at a late night crawfish boil. I'm sure I added another 600 calories, but it was LATE Friday night. So, I feel like I did get a full day in of HWC, and it went well. So for experiments sake, I feel like I did it and it was ok and I can do it again.

THIRD DAY- today is my 3rd attempt at this. I'm full from my coffee this morning. Which is great. But I feel AWFUL!!!! Definitely having major BS issues at the moment. But again, I think I am going to attribute this more to last night's meal rather than the HWC. I ate HIGH carbs & sugar late last night. We were at a BBQ all day and actually didn't even end up eating until after 10:00 pm. So I think I'm feeling those effects. But I am totally, completely full and as long as I can stabalize and start to feel better, I think I can easily get through the day today. I've planned 2 more drinks with HWC and then an avocado tonight. I've done these fat fasts on LC before, and I know they've worked. So, really want to stick to it today. Just hoping I start feeling better soon.
AndyBFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #168
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: This week: NK/Keto
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
Quote:
My curiosity has gotten the better of me. Why don't you buy greek yogurt instead of going through the straining process? By the way, it sounds delicious and I want to try it, but would I get the same results just by buying greek yogurt in the first place?
See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
Yes, it is cheaper to buy Dannons All Plain Full Fat Yogurt than to buy just about any brand of Greek yogurt. Although, when you throw away the whey it probably be more economical to buy Greek yogurt in the end. But ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I get the Dannon Oikos 0% Greek yogurt in the big tub for about $5.00. I'm not sure how that compares to the non-Greek version, but it's still Dannon, and I'm too lazy to do all that work!
... it's very rare I can find full fat Green yogurt in any of our stores. It's always the low-fat to non-fat ones. I don't do low-fat or non-fat yogurt. And, to me, my strained yogurt is still thicker than the Greek yogurts I have tried in the past.

I have a little system worked out where it takes me all of 2-3 minutes to put the strained in a covered plastic bowl and start straining some new yogurt.

Quote:
I just use a few paper towels to strain it.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #169
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kettleboy
Stats: 6' 3"
WOE: Juddd when required
Start Date: June 2010
Having read the read, think I will give this a go.

On D3, I take mine once a week, usually 10 x 5000's and after a big meal. If you do it this way, make sure you take some K2 along with it.
Kettleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #170
Big Yapper!!!!

Cabot makes a full-fat Greek yogurt that I can usually find at Bi-Lo. It is the only one I have ever found though. I think it's rather economical as well. It's quite high in calories though, so I would have to be careful. Well, I checked and it's 310 cals per cup with 22 g of fat. I like the high fat content and enjoyed it when I was LC.

Last edited by Librarygirl; 06-25-2013 at 11:36 AM..
Old 07-02-2013, 03:04 AM   #171
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Finally received my re-supply of MCT oil so that I can get back to my anti-migraine experiment.

DH had to slip out to the Sorting Office before leaving for work so that he could pick up my parcel but it means that I've been able to have my first MCT in almost a week.

Without the MCT, I've been having some headache (with pain) as well as the other symptoms so that may indicate that the MCT has been reducing pain and that I hadn't coincidentally transitioned to silent migraines around the same time as my experiment.

I recently calculated that MCT oil is approx. 50-60% of my kcals on DD and 25% on UDs. And that's not including other sources of fat, of course. There are times when I find it hard to believe how much such aspects of my diet have changed.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:01 AM   #172
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154now/final goal TBD
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD Maintenance
Start Date: March 2013
Don't throw out your whey!

Use it for making your own fermented vegetables and fruits. (Recipes in 'Nourishing Traditions' and of course, on-line!). Using whey for lacto-fermented items increases the nutrition(particularly probiotics.) I make sauerkraut, among other things, with this method, and it is super-easy. And yummy. Iyou like sauerkraut, and have never tried making your own, get to it! So worth it.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #173
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Slow, I'm glad you have your MCT again. Your experience really does indicate that it may be key in your management of your migraines. What a fantastic weapon in your arsenal! It is too bad it sucks up so much of your calories, but being pain free, or even reduced, is worth so much.

I'm having a Coffee/HWC and avocado day today. I've only had iced tea so far, and I'm so looking forward to my yummy, creamy coffee lunch! I also really think the avocado will be satisfying and a nice change of pace.

My bounces have been inching lower this week, so I'd love to see a new low in the morning. Please, please, please, oh whoosh fairy....come and see me!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham
LoCarbGal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #174

I'm sure she's going to pass me by this week, Carol, so I'm doing my best to send her your way!
Old 07-02-2013, 03:39 PM   #175
Big Yapper!!!!

I might try a fat fast again tomorrow. I have 2 avocados that I picked up yesterday at the supermarket. They feel very ripe, so I need to eat them. Such a chore! I love a egg omelet w/avocado...wonder how that might fit in with a HWC day. I think if I could eat a couple of small meals in addition to the HWC, I might make it.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:35 PM   #176
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I sure enjoyed my avocado for dinner Cindy. I hope yours will be just as yummy!
LoCarbGal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:11 AM   #177
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Planelman
Stats: 350.1/190.8/190 6' 44
WOE: Primal/Keto
Start Date: 7/14/2011
Quote:
I might try a fat fast again tomorrow. I have 2 avocados that I picked up yesterday at the supermarket. They feel very ripe, so I need to eat them. Such a chore! I love a egg omelet w/avocado...wonder how that might fit in with a HWC day. I think if I could eat a couple of small meals in addition to the HWC, I might make it.
I almost always have eggs with my avocado on a HWC DD, it tastes great and doesn't seem to hurt. I do wait until after 5pm to have it though.
Planelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:47 AM   #178
Big Yapper!!!!

Yes, I think I will do it. I'm actually having light cream which is still less than one gram of sugar, but 20 cals less than HWC per T. It still tastes very rich. Has anyone tried it? It is right beside HWC at my supermarket. Now, to wait until afternoon to eat...no hunger right now, but it is early.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #179
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FairyWren
Stats: 178/136/124 5'3"
WOE: LC JUDDD
Well i've just read through all of this thread as it sounds fascinating. I'm going to give it a go for my DD tomorrow but will have butter and coconut oil, a tablespoon of each in my coffee tomorrow and mix it in my blender. I had the same today, as an extra, on my UD as i needed more cals but didn't want to have anything too bulky.

I can't have HWC/double cream as i'm following the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) for my colitis which i've been struggling with for the last couple of months - happily things are improving now but i've had to go pretty low carb over the last couple of weeks to make an improvement. I thought the butter and coconut oil would be a good substitute - it certainly tasted like coffee with cream.

Will report back tomorrow to let you know how it goes...

FairyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:07 AM   #180
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Evie- if you were to fermented the HWC or double cream for 24 hrs, it would make it legal. The amount of carbs in HWC and DC is very small comparing to milk. Of course if you don't want to do it, butter and CO would be great and even ghee (yummy). I have been following SCD for like 12 years (for UC). The last 2 years or so I introduced lots of illegal foods with no ill effect. One of them was store bought yogurt and even plain milk. I am still scared of potatoes, maybe one day. Sorry to hijack the thread, just wanted to say Hi to a fellow SCDieter.