Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 11:33 AM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ohcmb
Stats: 205/191/160
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 2014 Restart
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedee View Post
I'm back on the HWC bandwagon for my DD's again! It really simplifies things and when I tried it helped with the water weight.

Did they actually have HWC? I've never been brave enough to ask, even when I was vlc, I'd just use half and half.
Yep they do! You just have to ask for it and deal with them when they give you a funny face.
ohcmb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #92
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
Start Date: Which time?
My first DD in a few weeks and it's going well. I wasn't able to stay as LC this past week (family vacation - does it to me every time) as I'd hoped.

So far, all I've had today is one cup of coffee w/1T HWC and am sipping on some Chai tea w/1t HWC. I do have my beloved YoCheese pudding waiting for a late afternoon snack and will have more coffee w/cream later.

Drinking lots of water to help flush out the carbs I ate. Man, I can tell such a difference when I eat carbs , even after just a couple of weeks ditching them.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:13 AM   #93
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kimmietoo
Stats: 350/269.2/??? 58 yo, hypothyroid age 8; menopausal
WOE: start JUDDD 01/24/13 at 310
Start Date: July 2009
Many vitamins for seniors or men do not contain iron or it's low doseage. Reading the labels should provide the information you need. It seems reasonable that it would be ok to take one of these on the DD's and save the iron ones for UDs. Check with your M.D. first, of course.

Kimmie
Kimmietoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:21 AM   #94
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
I've been looking through these recipes Atkins Friends Recipe Room - A bunch of Egg Nogs

I don't really understand the portion sizes so for all I know I may be recommending a DD snack of 2 thimbles of eggnog. (Recipe 3 looks relatively low cal for this.) Would an eggnog work well if it were extended with a little water/ice and glucomannan? (If no one can think why this would be A Bad Idea then I may try it for DH over the weekend.)
This reminds me of one of the Monty Python movies where someone asks for a "thimble full of mueslix".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohcmb View Post
I had some coffee with HWC this morning with plans to have a protein shake this evening, but I may try this.

You are doing great! Today will be HWC DD for me.

The man at starbucks this morning looked at me funny when I asked for HWC.
I wonder what they would say if I ask for precisely 2 T of HWC at Dunkin Donuts?
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:24 AM   #95
Senior LCF Member

I'm on for tomorrow's DD - going to try the HWC DD. Thanks everyone for all of the great information!!! you guys!

Kimmie
Old 06-18-2013, 06:24 AM   #96
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brewstate
Stats: 238/192/129
WOE: LC JUDDD (started at 190)
Start Date: April 15, 2009
I hadn't had anything to eat by about 2 pm yesterday so I decided to try this, subbing coffee with 1 chamomile tea and 1 diet hot chocolate with 2 tbsp hwc each. I did eat a few bites of veggies and sour cream dip but not more than 100 calories.

Woke up this morning to a very unexpected 4 lb loss. Of course I just got back a week ago from a 5 UD Vacation so it may be bloat weight but still good results and apparently has nothing to do with the caffeine content.
brewstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:29 AM   #97
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/187/164 5'8"
Very very interesting ! I do not like coffee at all, not really a tea drinker either. I am interested though! I don't really do any hot drinks. I will follow this and see if I can figure out a way to get the cream in something else. Thrilled it is helping so many of you! I love hearing about the "tricks of the trade."
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:59 AM   #98
Senior LCF Member

I found a great fat bomb recipe at the Blog, Until the Fat Lady Sings (Rachel Cobb)
One important note to point out here is this recipe appears to be both Gluten and Dairy Free. Not sure how the caffeine in the cocoa would compare with regular coffee.

Fat Bombs

¼ cup cocoa powder
6 Tablespoons canned coconut milk – Native Forest brand has no BPA in the lining, FYI
2 Tablespoons Virgin Coconut Oil
3 - 6 Tablespoons nut butter: I like to use 3 Tbls coconut butter, and the rest almond or peanut butter
1 Tablespoon finely chopped nuts, I used pecans here in Louisiana
Stevia to taste, I used 20 drops of NuNaturals liquid vanilla stevia or 1/4 teaspoon NuNaturals powdered** see note above
½ cup coconut flakes, toasted under a broiler while watching carefully, about 30 seconds
a wire whisk or hand beater
cupcake papers

Combine cocoa powder, coconut milk, and stevia in a small saucepan and stir. The cocoa will not mix in. Heat over medium-low heat, stirring constantly with a rubber spatula, until smooth. Remove from heat and add the nut butter. Whisk or beat on low speed together until combined. Whisk in coconut oil. Stir in nuts, and most of the coconut flakes. Reserve some for topping. Spoon into 5 cupcake papers evenly and top with remaining coconut. Arrange on a plate and place in freezer until hardened. Then, transfer to refrigerator. Eat straight from refrigerator, they will melt at room temperature. Makes 5; 3g effective carbs each, and 18.8g good-for-you fat if you use peanut butter and pecans, slightly less if you sub walnuts for pecans. If you use cashew butter & pecans/walnuts, 4.25 ECC/4.15 ECC respectively.

Last edited by Kimmietoo; 06-18-2013 at 07:04 AM..
Old 06-18-2013, 07:03 AM   #99
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Goner
Stats: 184/158/157 restart 11-1-14 175.5/
Start Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp2play View Post
Very very interesting ! I do not like coffee at all, not really a tea drinker either. I am interested though! I don't really do any hot drinks. I will follow this and see if I can figure out a way to get the cream in something else. Thrilled it is helping so many of you! I love hearing about the "tricks of the trade."
There was a time when I drank diet soda that I would stir in cream and pretend it was an ice cream soda. I remember I liked diet orange with hwc or a diet chocolate. Perhaps that would work?
Goner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:35 AM   #100
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmietoo View Post
I found a great fat bomb recipe at the Blog, Until the Fat Lady Sings (Rachel Cobb)
One important note to point out here is this recipe appears to be both Gluten and Dairy Free. Not sure how the caffeine in the cocoa would compare with regular coffee.

Fat Bombs

¼ cup cocoa powder
6 Tablespoons canned coconut milk – Native Forest brand has no BPA in the lining, FYI
2 Tablespoons Virgin Coconut Oil
3 - 6 Tablespoons nut butter: I like to use 3 Tbls coconut butter, and the rest almond or peanut butter
1 Tablespoon finely chopped nuts, I used pecans here in Louisiana
Stevia to taste, I used 20 drops of NuNaturals liquid vanilla stevia or 1/4 teaspoon NuNaturals powdered** see note above
½ cup coconut flakes, toasted under a broiler while watching carefully, about 30 seconds
a wire whisk or hand beater
cupcake papers

Combine cocoa powder, coconut milk, and stevia in a small saucepan and stir. The cocoa will not mix in. Heat over medium-low heat, stirring constantly with a rubber spatula, until smooth. Remove from heat and add the nut butter. Whisk or beat on low speed together until combined. Whisk in coconut oil. Stir in nuts, and most of the coconut flakes. Reserve some for topping. Spoon into 5 cupcake papers evenly and top with remaining coconut. Arrange on a plate and place in freezer until hardened. Then, transfer to refrigerator. Eat straight from refrigerator, they will melt at room temperature. Makes 5; 3g effective carbs each, and 18.8g good-for-you fat if you use peanut butter and pecans, slightly less if you sub walnuts for pecans. If you use cashew butter & pecans/walnuts, 4.25 ECC/4.15 ECC respectively.
I usually do the easy peasy fat bombs. This does sound delicious though!

A quick calorie estimate comes in at 1133 for the whole shebang (for 3 T of nut butter), so 227 for one. 1412 if you use 6 T of nut butter, and 282 for one (assuming it's a serving of 5).

Last edited by Librarygirl; 06-18-2013 at 07:45 AM..
Old 06-18-2013, 07:39 AM   #101
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LoriAS
Stats: 218.2/175.4/128
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/17/12
Quote:
Yes, like Goner, I mix the HWC in my diet DR pepper and it is a lovely creamy soda. I would definitely substitute this instead of coffee when/where needed!
LoriAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:04 AM   #102
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LifeIsGood2013
WOE: Intuitive Eating
Start Date: 4/2014
Has anyone tried the HWC DD using decaf coffee instead of caffeinated (I am caffeine sensitive)? If so, what were your results?
LifeIsGood2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #103

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmietoo View Post
I'm on for tomorrow's DD - going to try the HWC DD. Thanks everyone for all of the great information!!! you guys!

Kimmie
I'm with you today Kimmie. Going to try for 300 calories, but allow up to 400 in case I'm unsatisfied later in the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewstate View Post
I hadn't had anything to eat by about 2 pm yesterday so I decided to try this, subbing coffee with 1 chamomile tea and 1 diet hot chocolate with 2 tbsp hwc each. I did eat a few bites of veggies and sour cream dip but not more than 100 calories.

Woke up this morning to a very unexpected 4 lb loss. Of course I just got back a week ago from a 5 UD Vacation so it may be bloat weight but still good results and apparently has nothing to do with the caffeine content.
Wow! The fat-fast really does work miracles, especially getting water weight off quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriAS View Post
Yes, like Goner, I mix the HWC in my diet DR pepper and it is a lovely creamy soda. I would definitely substitute this instead of coffee when/where needed!
I'm going to have to try that! Also diet root beer, which I even have in the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood2013 View Post
Has anyone tried the HWC DD using decaf coffee instead of caffeinated (I am caffeine sensitive)? If so, what were your results?
I haven't tried decaf, but I don't know why it wouldn't work just as well. My gut feeling is that this has nothing (or very little) to do with caffeine, and more to do with the fat-fast aspect.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #104
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
Quote:
Wow! The fat-fast really does work miracles, especially getting water weight off quickly.
It really really does LCG! I did it again yesterday and like magic 2.5 pounds down today. And it's such an easy, calm way to approach a DD, at least for me. No thinking, just coffee (or tea or diet soda) and cream!
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #105
Big Yapper!!!!

I called Dunkin's and they have light cream, not heavy, which I know is 30 calories a T. They said they put 4 T in a large coffee, so that would be 120 calories, plus a 10 calorie unsweetened flavor shot (coconut). That's what I'm going to get at lunch one day this week, if not today.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:40 AM   #106
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I called Dunkin's and they have light cream, not heavy, which I know is 30 calories a T. They said they put 4 T in a large coffee, so that would be 120 calories, plus a 10 calorie unsweetened flavor shot (coconut). That's what I'm going to get at lunch one day this week, if not today
That sounds so good! Coconut is my favorite flavor there too, I didn't know they had an unsweetened version. I'll have to try that.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:49 AM   #107
Big Yapper!!!!

I haven't had anything to eat today, so perhaps a cream day is in order? I had two T of H&H this morning (40), and then if I get that coffee (130)...hopefully it will work with light cream just as well. I have light cream at home too.

ETA: I get how using only liquid as your calories would result in a bigger drop the next day, but doesn't it even out because of the calories...500 of HWC is still 500. I'd like to know if people are sustaining "extra" losses from doing HWC days...

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*

Last edited by Librarygirl; 06-18-2013 at 09:52 AM..
Old 06-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #108
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
I haven't tried decaf, but I don't know why it wouldn't work just as well. My gut feeling is that this has nothing (or very little) to do with caffeine, and more to do with the fat-fast aspect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I get how using only liquid as your calories would result in a bigger drop the next day, but doesn't it even out because of the calories...500 of HWC is still 500. I'd like to know if people are sustaining "extra" losses from doing HWC days...

This area of physiology/metabolism semi-hurts my head but there is an argument that a fat fast doesn't trigger the release of insulin (gross assumption here about the metabolic health of the individual). In the absence of other dietary substrates (eg, sugar/glucose) then the lack of necessity to release insulin to tidy away extra dietary glucose permits mobilisation of the body's own fat stores. (That's a horrible over-simplification and ignores the role of other hormones.)

There may also be some sodium/water regulation by the kidneys that accounts for some of the losses seen.

However, you'd need a fair amount of data over time from people who have practised this regularly to say anything definitive, particularly if it just relates to DD EOD rotations. There may be such a community and I don't know about them.

ETA: the above doesn't address the 500 calories is 500 calories, whatever the source but I feel this is a huge gap in nutrition/metabolism research that leaves everyone in the realm of opinion based on the scant evidence that is available.

Last edited by SlowSure; 06-18-2013 at 11:07 AM..
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:21 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I haven't had anything to eat today, so perhaps a cream day is in order? I had two T of H&H this morning (40), and then if I get that coffee (130)...hopefully it will work with light cream just as well. I have light cream at home too.

ETA: I get how using only liquid as your calories would result in a bigger drop the next day, but doesn't it even out because of the calories...500 of HWC is still 500. I'd like to know if people are sustaining "extra" losses from doing HWC days...
I feel that I can have more DD calories of just HWC (or other mostly fat food). Plus, for me, the fat keeps me better satisfied than higher bulk carb foods on a DD, which I've tried to make work for me, but just seems to make me hungrier. I do believe in the "metabolic advantage" Dr Atkins discussed. That eating fat helps your body mobilize its own fat, in the absence of other foods, most especially carbs.

I do say this knowing that it doesn't work as well, or feel as comfortable, for everyone. YMMV, once again.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:26 AM   #110
Big Yapper!!!!

My *gut* instinct is that *nothing but liquids in = liquids out* and excess urination. Thus, the extra weight loss, or *water* depletion. I don't know the science though, and would love to know if the fat in HWC is really more beneficial than just any liquid, and that the calories from the fat don't add up (same rate of loss, or gain). I am willing to give it a shot, if I can manage to do without food.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #111
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I saw a couple of suggestions for diet soda with cream (done that - yum). I'm not crazy about diet sodas as a rule, so I buy the flavored carbonated waters that have 0 everything (cals, carbs, etc.) and put cream in those.

LCG, I'm with you - fat keeps me satisfied. Oh, the irony. Yesterday was my first day back to JUDDD and LC and it's amazing after just one day, how much better I feel! My jeans were snug but this morning they feel much better. I didn't weigh as I'm aiming to just weigh on Saturdays, but I'm looking forward to using mainly HWC on my DDs.

Reminds of "fighting fire with fire" .. "fighting fat with fat."
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #112

I love it! Fighting fat with fat! Yesss!

I'm glad you're back 'Nilla!
Old 06-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #113
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ohcmb
Stats: 205/191/160
Start Date: 2014 Restart
Definitely helped me with some water weight! After yesterday I was down 3 pounds.

and i was extremely satisfied yesterday..already looking forward to tomorrow!
ohcmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #114

So awesome ohcmb! I'm sure enjoying my delicious coffee right now.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #115
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
I love it! Fighting fat with fat! Yesss!

I'm glad you're back 'Nilla!
Thanks!
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #116
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grannysmith
Stats: 226/ 203/ 145 53, 5'7
WOE: Half-fast diet, LC, GF
Start Date: Every day! 3.14 (repeats endlessly)
Carol, and anyone else who has trouble taking Vit D...when i was diagnosed with deficiency, my Dr gave me a 50,000u cap to take once a week, then bi-weekly. I still just take a handful (like 10 1000u caps) once a week. Vit D is absorbed and stored, so you don't need to take it every day.
grannysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #117

Thanks Lynn - I didn't know that. Very interesting. I seem to be okay on the D, I can take it on an empty stomach and feel fine. But if I miss it I won't be afraid to double up the next day.

I've heard about D's beneficial effects on all kinds of autoimmune diseases. About a year ago I read about some studies where they were giving very high doses to Lupus patients and were optimistic. I was going to ask my cousin whether she was aware or had her doctors mentioned it, but sadly she passed away last September from the disease.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:43 PM   #118
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I've heard about D's beneficial effects on all kinds of autoimmune diseases. About a year ago I read about some studies where they were giving very high doses to Lupus patients and were optimistic. I was going to ask my cousin whether she was aware or had her doctors mentioned it, but sadly she passed away last September from the disease.
I'm so sorry about your cousin LCG.

I've read a couple of studies about Vitamin D and autoimmune disease, after reading about a link between low Vitamin D and PCOS.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedee View Post
I'm so sorry about your cousin LCG.

I've read a couple of studies about Vitamin D and autoimmune disease, after reading about a link between low Vitamin D and PCOS.
Thanks Deedee.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:49 PM   #120
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMBM
Stats: 204/157/135
WOE: IF/BBD
Start Date: 02/15/2013
Definitely interested in giving it a try.
JMBM is offline   Reply With Quote