Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 09:59 AM   #181
Major LCF Poster!
 
LoriAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,158
Gallery: LoriAS
Stats: 218.2/175.4/128
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/17/12
Today is my first DD! I have to admit I am scared to death! However, it has been much easier than I initially anticipated. Granted, I am only about 1/3 of the way through my day. But I have had only decaf coffee with HWC and diet DR pepper w/HWC. I have some cabbage and laughing cow cheese at home to cook for dinner.

It will be a total of 320 cals

I also have 230 cals of eggs (actually 2 scrambled eggs w/ 1/2 slice cheese) here in the fridge if the hunger gets overpowering.

So far, so Good.

I must admit though I am typing this because the smells of everyone making their lunches and bring in their lunches is causing me to salivate! How do you all deal the the mental challenges such as this?
__________________
Lori My Blog

Goals met:
199.9 - ONEderland(10/23/12);
180s - (12/08/12)
170s - (1/7/13) (made it back 01/14) (no longer obese)
160s - (3/2/13) 50.2 pounds in 5 1/2 months!
148 - No longer Overweight
"Remember, the feeling you get from a good run is far better than the feeling you get from sitting around wishing you were running." ~ Sarah Condor, Runner/Author
LoriAS is offline  

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #182
Way too much time on my hands!
 
KeirasMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 13,136
Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/155.4/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriAS View Post
Today is my first DD! I have to admit I am scared to death! However, it has been much easier than I initially anticipated. Granted, I am only about 1/3 of the way through my day. But I have had only decaf coffee with HWC and diet DR pepper w/HWC. I have some cabbage and laughing cow cheese at home to cook for dinner.

It will be a total of 320 cals

I also have 230 cals of eggs (actually 2 scrambled eggs w/ 1/2 slice cheese) here in the fridge if the hunger gets overpowering.

So far, so Good.

I must admit though I am typing this because the smells of everyone making their lunches and bring in their lunches is causing me to salivate! How do you all deal the the mental challenges such as this?
Hi Lori! Once you get a couple of good DDs under your belt, the mental challenges seem to fade. I rarely even think about what others are having for lunch anymore. Even when we order in here at the office, I can usually find something low enough calorie to work for a DD.
KeirasMom is offline  
Old 06-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #183
Major LCF Poster!
 
LoriAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,158
Gallery: LoriAS
Stats: 218.2/175.4/128
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/17/12
I'm actually pretty excited because it is already 2pm and I am just now having a growly stomach. I am preparing green tea w/lemon and ginseng to help with that. I think my biggest fear is that I have so many errands to run after work today, I may not get to eat until around 7pm. I know I won't keel over or anything, but that seems like a LONG time.

ETA: Luckily we do not have like a group "order in" day. So I don't feel obligated to order, but there are people (cubicle community here) that bring in food from 11AM to 1:30 and it smells GOOOD!

Last edited by LoriAS; 06-19-2013 at 11:01 AM..
LoriAS is offline  
Old 06-19-2013, 11:12 AM   #184
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 135
Gallery: Macci
Lori, I am new also, but I have had some kinda difficult DD moments and what gets me through is I try to think of the hunger as a sign that the sirts are working (or preparing to get to work) in my body. In that way, I can almost embrace the hunger. And I also think about what I am going to eat tomorrow
Macci is offline  
Old 06-19-2013, 11:37 AM   #185
Major LCF Poster!
 
LoriAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,158
Gallery: LoriAS
Stats: 218.2/175.4/128
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/17/12
Thanks, Macci. I suppose it would be a great idea to plan out meals 2 days in advance so that on your DD you would know what you were looking forward to on your UD!

Great advice.
LoriAS is offline  
Old 06-19-2013, 11:51 AM   #186
Senior LCF Member
 
FairyWren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Scotland
Posts: 464
Gallery: FairyWren
Stats: 178/136/124 5'3"
WOE: LC JUDDD
Hi LoriAS and i know it's easy to say but as KeirasMom says DDs will become much easier as time passes. I found it helpful to read some of the diaries (i'm thinking especially of the one by zipp2play) and see how other people went through the exact same thing.

Wishing you good luck
FairyWren is offline  
Old 06-19-2013, 12:30 PM   #187
Major LCF Poster!
 
Doggygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: IL
Posts: 1,570
Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/184.6/152
WOE: ????
Start Date: This time: 5/19/14
Lori – I’m glad I don’t have to smell other people’s food for 2.5 hours a day!!!!

Macci – I like that thought pattern: Hunger = SIRT at WORK! I’m going to use that today because even though it’s UD (yesterday was my very first DD) I’m hungrier today than yesterday despite breakfast and lunch that I don’t think were skimpy or filled with junk! I hope this is just an adjustment! SIRT AT WORK!! SIRT AT WORK!!!

Fairy – thanks for including the suggestion and the link to Zipp2plays journal.


Well, I came here to report my hunger and whine a bit and that is already done. So I guess I’ll pack up to leave for my internship now! I'm sure once I get my mind on something else the hunger will go away. Dinner in 2.5 hours. I will definitely hit my 1800 cals today and maybe go over if I decide I *must* have a bed time snack. (I'm thinking a few bites of potato since that might have helped me sleep so well last night!!) I would rather go over by a small amount on an up OR down day than have an UUAAD (did I get the right amount of letters in that????)

Thanks!

Beth
__________________
Beth

Mini Goals:
#1: Weight 184
#2: Weight 179
#3: Weight 174
#4: Weight 169 (normal BMI)
#5: Weight 164
#6: Weight 159
#7: Weight 154
Doggygirl is offline  
Old 06-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #188
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Flutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,326
Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Welcome,.Candice! You will do great, I am sure!

Thanks, Beth, that was so sweet of you to say! I am sure you will do fabulous!

Sounds like you are having a great 1st DD, Lori! The smells can still be tough on a DD, but it does get easier overall! Hungrier DDs are more difficult, but those are, thankfully, rare!

Hi, Macci! I actually like it when my stomach is growling on DDs, especially DD evenings. For me, it sometimes means a new low the next morning and that is motivation itself!
Flutter is offline  
Old 06-19-2013, 02:44 PM   #189
Big Yapper!!!!
 
LoCarbGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 8,450
Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Lori! Congratulations on starting this wonderful WOE and finding this most supportive community. Like the others have said, the temptations do seem to fade as you get used to the DDs. Also, you'll be so motivated by losses that you won't even be tempted most of the time. It's not worth blowing a whole day's sacrifice (however far through the day you've made it when tempted).

I often cook for others on my DDs, and rarely does it get to me. Oh, it smells fantastic, and I've gotten used to not tasting (I have to say I'm a pretty good cook, so tasting on my regular dishes isn't really necessary most of the time).

Good luck and post often!
__________________
~~~LCG aka Carol~~~

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline  
Old 06-19-2013, 03:21 PM   #190
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Carly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 7,406
Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 37yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriAS View Post
I must admit though I am typing this because the smells of everyone making their lunches and bring in their lunches is causing me to salivate! How do you all deal the the mental challenges such as this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Hi Lori! Once you get a couple of good DDs under your belt, the mental challenges seem to fade. I rarely even think about what others are having for lunch anymore. Even when we order in here at the office, I can usually find something low enough calorie to work for a DD.
This^^^^ They get so much easier- really!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriAS View Post

ETA: Luckily we do not have like a group "order in" day. So I don't feel obligated to order, but there are people (cubicle community here) that bring in food from 11AM to 1:30 and it smells GOOOD!
My office orders breakfast and lunch every day. Everyone now knows that if I want to order I will seek them out- otherwise they don't have to bother asking me. Beside losing 75+ pounds, I have saved loads of money!!!!! I'm picky now too and don't want to eat gross, half cold, greasy, ordered-in food. If it's an UD and I want lunch I usually just bring my own.
Carly is online now  
Old 06-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #191
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Librarygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 8,895
Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12


My co-worker told me today, "I have new-found admiration for you. I came home late and only ate some watermellon last night, and this morning I felt like I would DIE from hunger!" I told her, "Hunger is not an emergency." She said, "It sure felt like it!" I remember it too vividly myself. In fact, I fall prey to it often enough...The hard truth is, most of us are very overweight, and we are not going to starve by missing a meal, or a day even, of eating to satiety.
Librarygirl is online now  
Old 06-19-2013, 08:45 PM   #192
Major LCF Poster!
 
Shari4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Somewhere in Texas
Posts: 1,052
Gallery: Shari4
Stats: 200/140.4/140 (190/173.6/140)65yrs
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Started JUDDD: 9/24/12 @181(again 2/1/14 @ 190)
I just want to stop by & tell all of the newbies !! I can't wait to get to know you! You've been given great tips & answers from some of JUDDD's best!!
Shari4 is offline  
Old 06-19-2013, 08:58 PM   #193
Major LCF Poster!
 
Doggygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: IL
Posts: 1,570
Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/184.6/152
WOE: ????
Start Date: This time: 5/19/14
Ahhhh.... first UD is done. My target was 1806 calories. I was very close to that at the end of dinner. I decided when i got home from work (10PM) to add 2 oz of cold boiled potato in hopes it will help me sleep like a baby again tonight! So therefore I ended up just over 1900 calories which I'm fine with for UD #1.

I'm planning a tater day tomorrow. I'm going to try to hold off until lunch for my first taters. I'm also going to try to stick with the 500 cal target. I hope the taters feel as comforting and satiating as they did yesterday!

I'm so hopeful!

Beth
Doggygirl is offline  
Old 06-20-2013, 05:08 AM   #194
Major LCF Poster!
 
LoriAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,158
Gallery: LoriAS
Stats: 218.2/175.4/128
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/17/12
Well, I made it!!
1st DD complete – 382c – 475c burned running = -93c for yesterday. How does everyone work in exercise? Do you worry about the deficit and eat more or not worry about the deficit. I usually keep my numbers (usually carbs/cals) same and do not worry about the deficite.
6/19 – 169.2 (start day) first DD
6/20 – 166.6 UD
Up day today. Resting # says I should be at 1735, light exercise says 1988. Any suggestions.

I also eat LC. I started back on Atkins 9/2012 and have lost 51+ pounds. I intend to continue to eat LC, because when I eat wheat products my joints ache badly. So any suggestions from other LC/JUDDDers would be great!

KierasMom – Thanks for the encouragement.
Evie – Thanks for the suggestion. I visited zipp2play’s journal at your suggestion and it was great to see that the struggle eventually becomes less!
Beth – Potatoes sound good. I may try that myself. While they are not LC, it would be a nice deviation.
Melinda – Yes, the toughest part of the day was the smells. But today is an UD
Carol – I know what you mean. I have 4 children and I have to cook for them every evening. I am already used to not tasting though, because I have been LC’ing and, of course, they have not. This may be a challenge on DD. Last night was ok, though. I made them muffins and taco salad and I had my fried cabbage with laughing cow cheese. I must say, mine was more appetizing!
Carly – I have a similar situation, because I have been LC’ing now for a while, everyone will say if they are going out, but I usually just hear it through the grapevine and will ask if I want something.

**I have not calculated my cals for today, but I've had eggs cheese and hamburger for breakfast and plan on taco meat/salad for lunch and roast and probably potatoes for dinner.

Going to calculate!
LoriAS is offline  
Old 06-20-2013, 05:30 AM   #195
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
SlowSure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London/Herts UK
Posts: 3,258
Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/114/115-120
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggygirl View Post
Lori – I’m glad I don’t have to smell other people’s food for 2.5 hours a day!!!!

Macci – I like that thought pattern: Hunger = SIRT at WORK! ... SIRT AT WORK!! SIRT AT WORK!!!

...I would rather go over by a small amount on an up OR down day than have an UUAAD (did I get the right amount of letters in that????)
DG, LoriAS - I usually can't stand the smell of other people's food because I tend to 'taste' smells and a mix can be horrible so I keep a small bottle of an essential oil that I like nearby so that I can pop it on a handkerchief and saturate my nose with that smell. (If it's lavender or a similar class then because of the way it saturates receptors you may need to refresh this every 30mins or so.) The other thing that works for me is to drink a very scented tea (adding kewra water or rose water to jasmine/green tea works well).

Am I the only person who read Macci's SIRT at WORK and thought of the Australian band, Men at Work? I'll be humming that wretched song all day ("I come from a land called Down Under, Where Women work and men thunder" or something like that.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggygirl View Post
Ahhhh.... first UD is done. ...So therefore I ended up just over 1900 calories which I'm fine with for UD #1.

I'm planning a tater day tomorrow....
That's fine for an UD#1 - well done. You've probably seen that one of the successful maintainers, Adi, cycles through potato DDs and hardboiled egg DDs and they work beautifully for her. My DH does likewise - it's known in our home as the Adi Hack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriAS View Post
Well, I made it!!
1st DD complete – 382c – 475c burned running = -93c for yesterday. How does everyone work in exercise? ...
I also eat LC. I started back on Atkins 9/2012 and have lost 51+ pounds. I intend to continue to eat LC, because when I eat wheat products my joints ache badly. So any suggestions from other LC/JUDDDers would be great!
...
Beth – Potatoes sound good. I may try that myself. While they are not LC, it would be a nice deviation.
Melinda – Yes, the toughest part of the day was the smells. But today is an UD ...
**I have not calculated my cals for today, but I've had eggs cheese and hamburger for breakfast and plan on taco meat/salad for lunch and roast and probably potatoes for dinner.

Going to calculate!
As per the others, we don't tend to allow for our exercise calories - there may be some exceptions to that but they're infrequent.

As I mentioned above, the other part to the Adi Hack is a DD of either potato or hardboiled eggs. Both of these are portable, convenient, and for a number of people, quite appetite suppressing. YMMV but it may be worth experimenting to see what works for you. Adi does this after a breakfast that includes cream in her coffee, and she leaves a few hours gap before eating her first solid food of the day. (The use of HWC probably continues her fast for a few hours longer and holds her appetite in check.)

I've mentioned how I cope with smells above - I'll be interested to see other people's strategies.

Tracking your calories is interesting and helps you get your eye in for the future - and it can help you to select a group of foods that are your staples for DD and UD.

Last edited by SlowSure; 06-20-2013 at 05:31 AM..
SlowSure is offline  
Old 06-20-2013, 05:42 AM   #196
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 135
Gallery: Macci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post


I told her, "Hunger is not an emergency." She said, "It sure felt like it!" I remember it too vividly myself. In fact, I fall prey to it often enough...The hard truth is, most of us are very overweight, and we are not going to starve by missing a meal, or a day even, of eating to satiety.
Wow, is this ever true! Hunger is NOT an emergency -- but tell that to myself of 3 weeks ago and I wouldn't have believed it.

JUDDD has made me realize that while it is true that I didn't eat large portions at meals, in fact I ate pretty small mealtime portions, throughout the day I was taking in way too many calories. Between the juice, cream and sugar in my coffee, the many just-a-bite s, the one or two cookies, a few nuts, the tiny handfuls of chips -- it was a non stop snack fest. So even though I only ate half a hamburger and skipped dessert when others were having it, I made up for those calories in many different ways. I see that now as I am calculating my UP days and I realize I would have been better off just to eat the whole hamburger and forgo all the grazing.

The other great thing the JUDDD WOE has done for me is it has made food stop calling my name. Sometimes I'd say to myself, I better just finish this (whatever dessert) now because it's just going to be such a distraction all day if it is sitting there. And that was the truth, not just an excuse. I would have eaten it bite or two by bite or two all day. Now, after a couple of JUDDD weeks, I could walk past it or leave it in my fridge and be okay with that. It's a freedom I have not felt in a long time.
Macci is offline  
Old 06-20-2013, 06:23 AM   #197
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Kissa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: London UK
Posts: 18,836
Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
What a great group of Newbies here. Love to see you all chatting, learning and adapting to the wonderful way of life.

The exercise issue is frequently discussed. As has been said, most of us choose not to add back the exercise calories, but for some, Christina for instance, very low DDs just don't suit. She has found that she looses better if she eats back those calories. The truth is that we are all different.

We have some serious exercisers here who simply stick to the 20% numbers. If you feel dizzy or unwell then of course drink water and reassess. Personally, I think a small protein snack in those circumstances is a better option than any high sugar 'Sport Drink'. I learnt a lot from those years of Atkins, so much of what he wrote is still true..

I am seldom tempted by the smell of food these days. Slow's idea of an essential oil is a good one. Some are even said to have appetite suppression. Peppermint oil for one.

I agree about that grazing habit Macci. It is amazing how may hidden calories are lurking there. I love coffee shop coffee and on a good day could easily drink 3 cups. Even the small ones (why do they call them Grande????) soon pack a lot of calories. Salty snack are still my downfall. They have caused too many UDs to become UUADs. Of course the fact that they often appear at the same time as a cocktail or a glass of wine only compounds the issue.

Wow I am chatty today....sorry.
__________________
Cindy

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.
Kissa is offline  
Old 06-20-2013, 07:35 AM   #198
Senior LCF Member
 
Goner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: eastcoast
Posts: 948
Gallery: Goner
Stats: 184/158/157 restart 5-1-14 165.5/164/154
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: May 2013
I'm a May Newbie myself, but like the encouragement I get from checking out this thread. Welcome to June

I can relate to grazing all day and then being AMAZED how many calories were consumed. I hadn't paid attention to calrories much prior to JUDDD. Now I think, WOW!

Last edited by Goner; 06-20-2013 at 07:36 AM..
Goner is offline  
Old 06-20-2013, 08:17 AM   #199
Major LCF Poster!
 
Doggygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: IL
Posts: 1,570
Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/184.6/152
WOE: ????
Start Date: This time: 5/19/14
Hello fellow and fabulous JUDDD coaches!!!

DD #2 today and so far so good. A mono potato day worked the first time and I'm doing it again. In fact I just boiled another batch and stuck them in the fridge - I am eating them cold (which I like anyway - maybe even better than hot) after reading the resistant starch theories, etc. Potatoes are extreme comfort food for me and for now anyway, I look forward to it!! And forever more I will think of this DD strategy as the "Adi Hack!"

Lori - congrats on your Atkins loss! What types of menus are you using for your DDs right now?

Slowsure - thanks for the advice about essential oils! (and you too Kissa - peppermint oil sounds wonderful!) I did not know that! Thanks too for the UD calorie feedback.

Macci - it sounds like you are reaching a peaceful place with food and that is what I am SOOOO hoping to find here too! You make such a good point about the grazing. How many 435395676593675 millions of times have I skimped on meals and then snacked my way into uncountable calories. Especially when I have tried to "keep my fat high" - OMG can I put away a ton of calories! I like the flexibility of JUDDD to just sort of balance everything in a sane way.

QUESTION: I have a graduation party to go to on Saturday late afternoon and it's a DD. I really want to stick to the rotation for the first 2 weeks and do it "by the book." Especially since this event is not a sit down dinner or anything, there is no reason I need to munch my way through it on all the food that will be just sitting around. There will be a lot of temptation but I just want to go in with a good workable plan and succeed. It's only food, right? I'm hoping for some feedback on this plan:

Fast on coffee/water (and my supplements) until right before we leave for the party. Have 8 ounces potatoes before we leave. When we get there, head for the veggie tray and put some veggies on my plate which will hopefully keep the food pushers at bay. Find a spot to sit away from the mountains of food and enjoy some conversation. Drink diet soda. Look forward to another 8 oz potatoes when I get back home.

Does that sound like a safe plan? I would be concerned trying to just "select" 500 cals of food at the actual event. I think that would be a slippery slope. All feedback welcome!

Beth
Doggygirl is offline  
Old 06-20-2013, 08:25 AM   #200
Junior LCF Member
 
Candiceena's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Washington State
Posts: 28
Gallery: Candiceena
Stats: 180/167/122
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18 2013
Hi everyone - just wanted to pop in here again and say hello to everyone else that came in after me, I'm excited to get to know you all and go on this journey with you.

My first DD was kind of a fail at 1200 calories (eek) but still down way way low from my normal eating levels. I went ahead and did yesterday as an UD and it kind of became an UUAD. Oopsie. I am determined to keep at this though. This morning I woke up and did 20 minutes of cardio/circuit work, drank some black coffee, packed myself about 500 cals worth of food to take to work (apple, cheese stick, cranberry walnut salad, light yogurt and a seltzer water) and am off to ROCK a brand new DD.

I'm thinking (hoping?) that the fasted morning workout will help to cull my appetitie. Along with the black coffee. I'm also going to get an iced americano with SF syrup this morning from Starbucks - a non caloric treat and I sure do love me some plain black-style coffee.

*hugs to all the other newbies*
Candiceena is offline  
Old 06-20-2013, 08:28 AM   #201
Major LCF Poster!
 
Doggygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: IL
Posts: 1,570
Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/184.6/152
WOE: ????
Start Date: This time: 5/19/14
Hi Candiceena! I'm am a fellow coffee lover!! I weaned off of full octane coffee 3 months ago, but still drink as much decaf as I ever drank of the real thing. I love it!! I'm "coffee fasting" this morning right alongside you.

Have a great day!

Beth
Doggygirl is offline  
Old 06-20-2013, 09:15 AM   #202
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Blonde with a Rose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 3,572
Stats: 240/226.6/125
WOE: Currently 5:2 w/ a 3rd all fruit & veg day
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Healing Day

Hello JB'rs! I'm not exactly a newbie, I lost 40lbs doing JUDDD in 2011. I have gained 20lbs back doing nothing at all. So, I'm back! Someone said something about dieting half the time and with JUDDD that's perfect. I've been following WW since January and managed to gain 7lbs. I cannot sustain anything else for more than a couple of weeks. Today is my 2nd down day and once I made up my mind it's surprisingly easy. I've been a very slow loser in the past and I doubt that will change but I always lose eventually with JUDDD if I just persevere. One thing I would like to share with you. I call my DD's "Healing Day" this time around. For me it's just more positive and reminds me of the healing powers of the Sirt-1 gene. When I did this before, my husband would ask "Are you up or are you down"? I didn't like saying I was down. After struggling with WW and crying in my soup, DH said "What about that every other day thing? You did great on that." And he was right.

A great meal is only 1 day away! Today, I'm healing.
__________________
Eat good food, Not too much~2014
6/01~234
6/13~ 229.4
6/27~226.6
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Blonde with a Rose is offline  
Old 06-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #203
Senior LCF Member
 
Goner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: eastcoast
Posts: 948
Gallery: Goner
Stats: 184/158/157 restart 5-1-14 165.5/164/154
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
.

A great meal is only 1 day away! Today, I'm healing.
Ah - that's nice. A healing day. I always say most things in life are impacted by our attitudes. IF we think we can, we probably will. If we think we can't. BTDT Good luck to you on your return to JUDDD. I look forward to your downward "positive" progress!
Goner is offline  
Old 06-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #204
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Blonde with a Rose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 3,572
Stats: 240/226.6/125
WOE: Currently 5:2 w/ a 3rd all fruit & veg day
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Thanks Goner, I completely agree. Attitude is everything! I look forward to weight loss progress as well but I'm working on impacting my health for the better. During my previous adventure with JUDDD my blood glucose went from prediabetic (105) to normal (95). At my last blood draw it was 118. Doh! I do know that this WOE makes me feel great.
Blonde with a Rose is offline  
Old 06-20-2013, 10:06 AM   #205
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Flutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,326
Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggygirl View Post
Hello fellow and fabulous JUDDD coaches!!!

DD #2 today and so far so good. A mono potato day worked the first time and I'm doing it again. In fact I just boiled another batch and stuck them in the fridge - I am eating them cold (which I like anyway - maybe even better than hot) after reading the resistant starch theories, etc. Potatoes are extreme comfort food for me and for now anyway, I look forward to it!! And forever more I will think of this DD strategy as the "Adi Hack!"

Lori - congrats on your Atkins loss! What types of menus are you using for your DDs right now?

Slowsure - thanks for the advice about essential oils! (and you too Kissa - peppermint oil sounds wonderful!) I did not know that! Thanks too for the UD calorie feedback.

Macci - it sounds like you are reaching a peaceful place with food and that is what I am SOOOO hoping to find here too! You make such a good point about the grazing. How many 435395676593675 millions of times have I skimped on meals and then snacked my way into uncountable calories. Especially when I have tried to "keep my fat high" - OMG can I put away a ton of calories! I like the flexibility of JUDDD to just sort of balance everything in a sane way.

QUESTION: I have a graduation party to go to on Saturday late afternoon and it's a DD. I really want to stick to the rotation for the first 2 weeks and do it "by the book." Especially since this event is not a sit down dinner or anything, there is no reason I need to munch my way through it on all the food that will be just sitting around. There will be a lot of temptation but I just want to go in with a good workable plan and succeed. It's only food, right? I'm hoping for some feedback on this plan:

Fast on coffee/water (and my supplements) until right before we leave for the party. Have 8 ounces potatoes before we leave. When we get there, head for the veggie tray and put some veggies on my plate which will hopefully keep the food pushers at bay. Find a spot to sit away from the mountains of food and enjoy some conversation. Drink diet soda. Look forward to another 8 oz potatoes when I get back home.

Does that sound like a safe plan? I would be concerned trying to just "select" 500 cals of food at the actual event. I think that would be a slippery slope. All feedback welcome!

Beth
I had a grad party last weekend on a DD. I talked with folks away from the food table. I did allow myself a raw veggie plate and think that's a great solution for you! Going to the party after a small meal at home sounds great, too. You won't bee too hungry. Fwiw, I also find myself thinking how germs hands are reaching in food bowls and that stops me from wanting a lot at these events, too. you can do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candiceena View Post
Hi everyone - just wanted to pop in here again and say hello to everyone else that came in after me, I'm excited to get to know you all and go on this journey with you.

My first DD was kind of a fail at 1200 calories (eek) but still down way way low from my normal eating levels. I went ahead and did yesterday as an UD and it kind of became an UUAD. Oopsie. I am determined to keep at this though. This morning I woke up and did 20 minutes of cardio/circuit work, drank some black coffee, packed myself about 500 cals worth of food to take to work (apple, cheese stick, cranberry walnut salad, light yogurt and a seltzer water) and am off to ROCK a brand new DD.

I'm thinking (hoping?) that the fasted morning workout will help to cull my appetitie. Along with the black coffee. I'm also going to get an iced americano with SF syrup this morning from Starbucks - a non caloric treat and I sure do love me some plain black-style coffee.

*hugs to all the other newbies*
You have a fabulous attitude! I really love how gentle you are being with yourself and easing into JUDDD, being determined to make it work for you! Wonderful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
Hello JB'rs! I'm not exactly a newbie, I lost 40lbs doing JUDDD in 2011. I have gained 20lbs back doing nothing at all. So, I'm back! Someone said something about dieting half the time and with JUDDD that's perfect. I've been following WW since January and managed to gain 7lbs. I cannot sustain anything else for more than a couple of weeks. Today is my 2nd down day and once I made up my mind it's surprisingly easy. I've been a very slow loser in the past and I doubt that will change but I always lose eventually with JUDDD if I just persevere. One thing I would like to share with you. I call my DD's "Healing Day" this time around. For me it's just more positive and reminds me of the healing powers of the Sirt-1 gene. When I did this before, my husband would ask "Are you up or are you down"? I didn't like saying I was down. After struggling with WW and crying in my soup, DH said "What about that every other day thing? You did great on that." And he was right.

A great meal is only 1 day away! Today, I'm healing.
WB!!!! Love love love the "healing" day way of thinking!!!!!
__________________
Melinda

Flutter is offline  
Old 06-20-2013, 10:30 AM   #206
Major LCF Poster!
 
LoriAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,158
Gallery: LoriAS
Stats: 218.2/175.4/128
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/17/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggygirl View Post
Hello fellow and fabulous JUDDD coaches!!!

DD #2 today and so far so good. A mono potato day worked the first time and I'm doing it again. In fact I just boiled another batch and stuck them in the fridge - I am eating them cold (which I like anyway - maybe even better than hot) after reading the resistant starch theories, etc. Potatoes are extreme comfort food for me and for now anyway, I look forward to it!! And forever more I will think of this DD strategy as the "Adi Hack!"

Lori - congrats on your Atkins loss! What types of menus are you using for your DDs right now?

Slowsure - thanks for the advice about essential oils! (and you too Kissa - peppermint oil sounds wonderful!) I did not know that! Thanks too for the UD calorie feedback.

Macci - it sounds like you are reaching a peaceful place with food and that is what I am SOOOO hoping to find here too! You make such a good point about the grazing. How many 435395676593675 millions of times have I skimped on meals and then snacked my way into uncountable calories. Especially when I have tried to "keep my fat high" - OMG can I put away a ton of calories! I like the flexibility of JUDDD to just sort of balance everything in a sane way.

QUESTION: I have a graduation party to go to on Saturday late afternoon and it's a DD. I really want to stick to the rotation for the first 2 weeks and do it "by the book." Especially since this event is not a sit down dinner or anything, there is no reason I need to munch my way through it on all the food that will be just sitting around. There will be a lot of temptation but I just want to go in with a good workable plan and succeed. It's only food, right? I'm hoping for some feedback on this plan:

Fast on coffee/water (and my supplements) until right before we leave for the party. Have 8 ounces potatoes before we leave. When we get there, head for the veggie tray and put some veggies on my plate which will hopefully keep the food pushers at bay. Find a spot to sit away from the mountains of food and enjoy some conversation. Drink diet soda. Look forward to another 8 oz potatoes when I get back home.

Does that sound like a safe plan? I would be concerned trying to just "select" 500 cals of food at the actual event. I think that would be a slippery slope. All feedback welcome!

Beth
Hi Beth!

Yesterday I had HWC in a variety of coffees and diet dr pepper from about 10am to 3 pm and for dinner (around 6:30pm) I had cabbage and laughing cow cheese wedge steamed/fried/cooked in chicken broth. I added a few spices, salt and pepper and it was amazing. I thought I was going to need more, but waited for 30 minutes and was stuffed and never thought about eating more after that.

Hope that helps!

ETA: That is my plan for tomorrow also. I purchased a bag of angel hair cabbage in a bag in the produce/packaged salad section of the grocery and used 1/2 of it last night and saved 1/2 for tomorrow night.

Last edited by LoriAS; 06-20-2013 at 10:31 AM..
LoriAS is offline  
Old 06-20-2013, 12:01 PM   #207
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Kissa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: London UK
Posts: 18,836
Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggygirl View Post

QUESTION: I have a graduation party to go to on Saturday late afternoon and it's a DD. ... It's only food, right? I'm hoping for some feedback on this plan:

Fast on coffee/water (and my supplements) until right before we leave for the party. Have 8 ounces potatoes before we leave. When we get there, head for the veggie tray and put some veggies on my plate which will hopefully keep the food pushers at bay. Find a spot to sit away from the mountains of food and enjoy some conversation. Drink diet soda. Look forward to another 8 oz potatoes when I get back home.

Does that sound like a safe plan? I would be concerned trying to just "select" 500 cals of food at the actual event. I think that would be a slippery slope. All feedback welcome!

Beth
THis sounds to me like really doable plan, and planning is so important, well done you.

Just one thing though. If you do find yourself eating more than you had hoped, enjoy each mouthful taoughtfully and don't allow that 'Ah heck, I've blown it now, I may as well eat the lot!' way of thinking get you. You haven't ruined a DD by eat a hundred or so calories more than you should.

Candi, sound as if you will do well easing yourself in to the routine. Like you plan for today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
Hello JB'rs!

One thing I would like to share with you. I call my DD's "Healing Day" this time around. For me it's just more positive and reminds me of the healing powers of the Sirt-1 gene.

A great meal is only 1 day away! Today, I'm healing.
How very good to see you back here Blonde with a Rose. Although you and I have seldom posted in the same threads, I know of you and have seen your success with JUDDD back when it was a tiny group in 'Other Plans'. How things have changed!

I truly love your Healing Day idea. Brilliant. We should all adopt that phrase.

Lori, I love your eating plan too. I haven't tried the HWC experiment yet. But I will...
Kissa is offline  
Old 06-20-2013, 01:09 PM   #208
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 113
Gallery: tandc90
Hello. I'm a newbie too. I too am planning on staying off the scale and judging my loss by how my clothes feel. I don't want to get obsessed with the scale like I used to be. I only know what I weigh now due to being at the doc's yesterday.

I'm doing either 1 or 2 days of DDs rather than every other day. Eventually I may get up to EOD. Or not. I'm far more patient about these things than I used to be as I've spent the last few months working on self-acceptance.
tandc90 is offline  
Old 06-20-2013, 01:29 PM   #209
Junior LCF Member
 
Candiceena's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Washington State
Posts: 28
Gallery: Candiceena
Stats: 180/167/122
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18 2013
Melinda - thank you for the kind encouraging words! Today is going great for me... I've been drinking a lot of tea

Also I absolutely love the idea of considering DDs as healing days. I'm totally going to start using that term!
Candiceena is offline  
Old 06-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #210
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
SlowSure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London/Herts UK
Posts: 3,258
Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/114/115-120
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
Hello JB'rs! I'm not exactly a newbie, I lost 40lbs doing JUDDD in 2011. .... I call my DD's "Healing Day" this time around. For me it's just more positive and reminds me of the healing powers of the Sirt-1 gene. .
Blonde with a Rose. Welcome back and thank you for the new term for DDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
. If you do find yourself eating more than you had hoped, enjoy each mouthful taoughtfully and don't allow that 'Ah heck, I've blown it now, I may as well eat the lot!' way of thinking get you. You haven't ruined a DD by eat a hundred or so calories more than you should...

How very good to see you back here Blonde with a Rose. ...!

I truly love your Healing Day idea. Brilliant. We should all adopt that phrase.
...
Good advice there from Kissa. JUDDD is flexible and resilient enough to cope with real life events. It's a realistic WOE that can cope with works in progress rather than sternly demanding perfection from its followers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandc90 View Post
. I'm doing either 1 or 2 days of DDs rather than every other day. Eventually I may get up to EOD. Or not. I'm far more patient about these things than I used to be as I've spent the last few months working on self-acceptance.
This is so sensible. Try out a DD, see how you get on with it. If it feels OK, do another one in a permutation that suits you. If that leads you to 6:1, 5:2, 4:3 eventually, or not, then you know you're building on a firm foundation of what works for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candiceena View Post
Also I absolutely love the idea of considering DDs as healing days. I'm totally going to start using that term!
Candiceena - good to see that you've got a plan. And, yes, healing day is such a good term.
SlowSure is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:36 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.