Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2013, 06:27 AM   #121
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Hello Suzy
Stats: 167/162/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 1/2014
Yeah, I know the UD number is not the RMR. But the calculator that JUDD uses is most probably based on some formula with assumptions that you're RMR is a certain something. I think mine is lower, so maybe my calculated calories should be lower (wish I knew for sure!). For the calculation I said I was lightly active, even though I'm probably a little more than lightly active. I'm 41.

Mentally preparing for today's DD. Woke up hungry :/

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2013, 08:49 AM   #122
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.7/126.8 5'2" 37yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello Suzy View Post
Yeah, I know the UD number is not the RMR. But the calculator that JUDD uses is most probably based on some formula with assumptions that you're RMR is a certain something. I think mine is lower, so maybe my calculated calories should be lower (wish I knew for sure!). For the calculation I said I was lightly active, even though I'm probably a little more than lightly active. I'm 41.

That is one of the reasons most of us use little to no exercise to start and adjust from there.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:28 AM   #123
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Beebop
Stats: 171.8/169.6/145 5'3" 48 yrs
Start Date: 6/4/13
Quote:

You'll do great today Suzy!! Just think of how much fat your burning when you feel hungry!!

I have a question for anyone if you could help me???I weighed myself this morning after a DD yesterday and came in at 169.6 ( down 2.2lbs.!!) Is this my "real" weight that you all post as your current or is the morning after an UD or somewhere in between???

I feel like my stomach is flatter when I wish my butt was flatter!
Old 06-15-2013, 09:31 AM   #124
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 135 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Beebop, I don't know if it's the "real" weight after a DD or not, but I own it! I think most of us take the lowest reading on the scale as our current weight. It makes most people happy.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:33 AM   #125
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 44yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Beebop, claim the Morning after DD weight girl! You have earned it!!!! Try to ignore the bounce up after your UD, too. The trend will be down, down, down!!!

Thanks friends for the kind words! Welcome again to all!
Old 06-15-2013, 09:36 AM   #126
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Quote:
First UD competed. That was kinda fun. For the first time in a LONG time, I ate pretty much whatever I wanted and didn't feel guilty or worried about it. Total cals= 1967, just under goal of 2000. And I did supposedly earn 192 extra calories for exercise (which I didn't eat) so I hope 1967 is good. Still feels like it should be lower because I'm sure my RMR must be on the low side for my size/age. I guess I'll give it a little time and see what happens. If the pounds don't start coming off, I just might go get my RMR measured to take some of the guess work out. I called one place and they wanted $500...too much. Anyone ever get that done?
Suzy, before you assume your metabolism is faulty and that your RMR is lower than average, I would recommend you try doing JUDDD at the recommended calories. I that almost all of us here, and really everyone who is heavy, probably starts out assuming or is afraid of that very same thing. And I'd bet that it's not true for most of us. I never thought this WOE would work for me. I was just sure my body would not respond, even after reading this site for a couple of months and seeing for myself real people that it was working for. There's something about us that just assumes our bodies are defective and betraying us. I know there are people who do have more metabolic difficulties, but I really do believe it's a small majority.

So give this a try "by the book" and give it some time. I'll bet you'll be pleasantly surprised!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebop View Post
You'll do great today Suzy!! Just think of how much fat your burning when you feel hungry!!

I have a question for anyone if you could help me???I weighed myself this morning after a DD yesterday and came in at 169.6 ( down 2.2lbs.!!) Is this my "real" weight that you all post as your current or is the morning after an UD or somewhere in between???

I feel like my stomach is flatter when I wish my butt was flatter!
In my book, if I see it on the scale, I claim it for that day and as my new low weight! I don't update my stats every time I bounce up. I just leave it at the last low and weight for the new low to come. So congratulations on that 2.2 pounds lost!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

Last edited by LoCarbGal; 06-15-2013 at 09:37 AM..
Old 06-15-2013, 09:39 AM   #127
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Cindy & Melinda! I definitely want to "own" the lowest weight, I just hope it continues to go down! Unfortunately I'm a daily scale jumper and get a little down with the bounce, so I'll try harder to ignore it, I know whenever we go out for pizza or chinese food on my up day I retain water like crazy and have to remember that.

Melinda, you are almost at goal!! Yea for you, great job!!

Thanks LCG, you're a great encouragement!

Last edited by Beebop; 06-15-2013 at 09:41 AM..
Old 06-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #128
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutter View Post
Beebop, claim the Morning after DD weight girl! You have earned it!!!! Try to ignore the bounce up after your UD, too. The trend will be down, down, down!!!
Yup^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
Suzy, before you assume your metabolism is faulty and that your RMR is lower than average, I would recommend you try doing JUDDD at the recommended calories. I that almost all of us here, and really everyone who is heavy, probably starts out assuming or is afraid of that very same thing. And I'd bet that it's not true for most of us. I never thought this WOE would work for me. I was just sure my body would not respond, even after reading this site for a couple of months and seeing for myself real people that it was working for. There's something about us that just assumes our bodies are defective and betraying us. I know there are people who do have more metabolic difficulties, but I really do believe it's a small majority.

So give this a try "by the book" and give it some time. I'll bet you'll be pleasantly surprised!
Old 06-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #129
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post

!
Of course my body is defective! I hear ya, and I am going to try with the 2000 for UDs. My metabolism was undoubtedly messed up, but hopefully all the free-for-all eating lately got it back in order.

DD#2 and I'm already at 317 calories. The problem is DH made a slow cook chuck roast for dinner, which I sorta feel obligated to eat which means I'll only be able to have like 3.5 oz and then my total for the day will be 524. I'd rather have a shake to keep it simple but the protein is probably good. Hopefully I can stop at just 3.5 oz! My calories burned for today should come in at 2100-2200 so 524 is probably ok for today.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #130
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MrsAndi
Stats: 174/134.2/135
uuad?

I went about 300 cals over my ud limit today. Is this considered an up up and away day? I can get back on track tomorrow by doing a dd right?
Thanks for your help!
Old 06-16-2013, 12:14 AM   #131
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsAndi View Post
I went about 300 cals over my ud limit today. Is this considered an up up and away day? I can get back on track tomorrow by doing a dd right?
Thanks for your help!
I like that! Up up and away day!!!
Old 06-16-2013, 02:04 AM   #132
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/114/118-125
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutter View Post
What Kissa said! I tried to reduce cals (via the calculator) around 25ish# down and stalled. When I went back to my original numbers, I started losing again. I'm down over 50# now at those original numbers...and even over. :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macci View Post
Does anyone know how often we need to reassess our calorie requirements via Dr. J's calculator? Every 10 lbs, 20lbs? Maybe it doesn't make a big difference? Thanks
For both of the above, I'm a firm believer in the need to keep your calories as high as possible and only dropping them when they don't work for you. It may feel frustrating in the short-term because we're understandably impatient to see a decent outcome for all of our efforts but the more I read about metabolic adaptation (the metabolism becoming so efficient that it down-regulates our overall energy consumption, and even changes the way that we partition our energy intake into muscle maintenance, fat stores etc.) the more I think it's important to take a longer term view that may be more likely to lead to successful maintenance over a period of years. So, keep to your recommended calories for as long as you're still showing bodyfat loss (whether in inches or at the scale) and only then move them down but keep an eye to your long-term maintenance needs and give yourself a good buffer.

Quote:
I may wait until I see more weight loss results before I decide to try the M,W,F DD and then see if it continues to work, would still like to see if anyone else does this?.
Yes, DH and I do M, W, F as DDs and T, Thurs as UDs with Sat/Sun as an UD/MD combination or the other way around, depending on our social/sports commitments at the weekend.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:49 AM   #133
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
Quote:
Thanks for your help!
300 calories is a blip. I wouldn't consider that an UUAD. I'd consider that a regular UD. Keep going with your normal rotations and you probably won't even see a bigger than normal bounce.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:59 AM   #134
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Thanks for your help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
300 calories is a blip. I wouldn't consider that an UUAD. I'd consider that a regular UD. Keep going with your normal rotations and you probably won't even see a bigger than normal bounce.

While I wouldn't recommend going 300 over every UD it's not a bad idea to have an occasional higher UD. It keeps the body guessing and ideally you want to be able to eat more rather than less so this reminds your body not to fully adapt to getting fed less. I can still have the occasional blow out day and I don't gain a whole bunch of weight from 1 day out of a month or every 2 months. Yes, I agree that 300 calories over doesn't really qualify for an UUAD.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:24 AM   #135
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Macci
Thanks for all the advice and info everyone. I did my 6th DD yesterday, just weighted myself and I am 5 pounds down since I started! Is 2.5 lbs per week pretty typical for the start or maybe it's a slow rate of losing? (I'll take it whatever it is. I started at 225, 5'5").
Old 06-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #136
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: windygap
Stats: Ex:166/140/127 Now. 144
WOE: Atkins now doing JUDDD and lowcarb
Start Date: April28,2013JUDDD start June 16' 2013
Hi every body,

To day is my first dd for Juddd. My numbers are 322/1612 so here goes. I have been doing lc with out much loss. I have done it off and on for the last few years and every time I come back it gets slower. That being said I am off to a new start with JUDDD.
I have been reading like crazy with one eye due to surgery Tue. I have read a lot of these threads. It sounds great so I am off to a new start. So far so good not hungry and feeling fine. Nice to meet all of you great girls. And thanks again to the girls who helped me with my numbers yesterday. Judy
Old 06-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #137
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macci View Post
Is 2.5 lbs per week pretty typical for the start or maybe it's a slow rate of losing? (I'll take it whatever it is. I started at 225, 5'5").
Congratulations on settling into JUDDD rotations.

It's difficult to say what is a typical/slow/fast rate of loss for the early weeks (or even later) as individual factors play such a substantial part. Adi (now in successful maintenance) didn't lose anything in the early weeks of JUDDD but lost thereafter at a modest rate.

Nevertheless, at 2.5lbs a week, you're currently shedding approx. 1% of your total starting body weight in just 7 days.

Best wishes for your continuing rotations.

Last edited by SlowSure; 06-16-2013 at 10:33 AM..
Old 06-16-2013, 10:31 AM   #138
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by windygap View Post
Hi every body,

To day is my first dd for Juddd. My numbers are 322/1612 so here goes
Judy and I hope that your first DD goes well. If you have any difficulties or queries, please speak up and ask and with luck somebody can get back to you.

I hope after the initial getting-to-know- you period, you and JUDDD will have a good assessment of whether you're just right for each other.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:58 AM   #139
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
For both of the above, I'm a firm believer in the need to keep your calories as high as possible and only dropping them when they don't work for you. It may feel frustrating in the short-term because we're understandably impatient to see a decent outcome for all of our efforts but the more I read about metabolic adaptation (the metabolism becoming so efficient that it down-regulates our overall energy consumption, and even changes the way that we partition our energy intake into muscle maintenance, fat stores etc.) the more I think it's important to take a longer term view that may be more likely to lead to successful maintenance over a period of years. So, keep to your recommended calories for as long as you're still showing bodyfat loss (whether in inches or at the scale) and only then move them down but keep an eye to your long-term maintenance needs and give yourself a good buffer.

Yes, DH and I do M, W, F as DDs and T, Thurs as UDs with Sat/Sun as an UD/MD combination or the other way around, depending on our social/sports commitments at the weekend.
Thanks SlowSure! Did you do the M,W,F from the beginning? and did you lose weight consistently each week? Thanks for your help, haven't decided if I want to do that because I'm worried about the two days UD/MD together.
Cyndi
Old 06-16-2013, 11:26 AM   #140
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MrsAndi
Stats: 174/134.2/135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post

While I wouldn't recommend going 300 over every UD it's not a bad idea to have an occasional higher UD. It keeps the body guessing and ideally you want to be able to eat more rather than less so this reminds your body not to fully adapt to getting fed less. I can still have the occasional blow out day and I don't gain a whole bunch of weight from 1 day out of a month or every 2 months. Yes, I agree that 300 calories over doesn't really qualify for an UUAD.
Thanks Carly and KeirasMom for the clarification!
Old 06-16-2013, 11:40 AM   #141
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Thanks SlowSure! Did you do the M,W,F from the beginning? and did you lose weight consistently each week? Thanks for your help, haven't decided if I want to do that because I'm worried about the two days UD/MD together.
Cyndi
No, I switched to it after 8 weeks of EOD rotations (I wanted to give the SIRT1s a good chance to get established as per Johnson's recommendations).

I'm a turtle for weight loss but, yes, I am losing as an overall trend. I was approx. 157lbs Jan 1st and now I'm <132lbs (I also did a potato hack in March).

I think some combination of an UD/MD works for me and my DH because we would normally be kayaking on Saturday and up to a century ride on a Sunday (100miles by bike, sometimes less, depending on commitments, weather and how we feel).
Old 06-16-2013, 11:51 AM   #142
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
No, I switched to it after 8 weeks of EOD rotations (I wanted to give the SIRT1s a good chance to get established as per Johnson's recommendations).

I'm a turtle for weight loss but, yes, I am losing as an overall trend. I was approx. 157lbs Jan 1st and now I'm <132lbs (I also did a potato hack in March).

I think some combination of an UD/MD works for me and my DH because we would normally be kayaking on Saturday and up to a century ride on a Sunday (100miles by bike, sometimes less, depending on commitments, weather and how we feel).
So it looks like you've lost a little over a pound a week? I may wait for a while like you did as well until I get into a good groove. I still need to read Dr. Johnson's book to learn a little more about the SIRT1s. But did you notice any change or slow down when you went to M,W,F? Thanks for your help!
Old 06-16-2013, 01:08 PM   #143
Senior LCF Member

Stats: +175/154/148
WOE: FMD
Start Date: February 2012/June 2013
I am starting my fourth week. Sadly, I had a a five pound spike over my last UD/DD rotation. I want to tighten up my routine and do things right. Ow ever, I have a dinner date on Wed (a DD.). Is there a proper way to flip the rotation around? Is that a MD?
Btw, I can't drink enough water today. I am so thirsty. I hope this spike in weight goes down quickly.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:50 PM   #144
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
So it looks like you've lost a little over a pound a week? I may wait for a while like you did as well until I get into a good groove. I still need to read Dr. Johnson's book to learn a little more about the SIRT1s. But did you notice any change or slow down when you went to M,W,F? Thanks for your help!
I haven't lost in a linear fashion at all.

I lost 6lbs or so in 3 weeks then spent the next 5/6 weeks cycling the same 2.5lbs. I lost approx. 10lbs over March (allowing for some bouncing) then spent weeks in April without losing anything, with a drop of almost 5lbs in a few days of the last 2 weeks then 1.6lbs overall in May with an extra 1.4lb coming and going that really made it about 3lbs (and that happened in 1 week).

So, it's not linear, it didn't slow down or speed up when I shifted to 3DD, 3UD, 1MD.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #145
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveninepointfive View Post
I am starting my fourth week. Sadly, I had a a five pound spike over my last UD/DD rotation. I want to tighten up my routine and do things right. Ow ever, I have a dinner date on Wed (a DD.). Is there a proper way to flip the rotation around? Is that a MD? .
You could do another UD on Monday, a DD Tuesday, UD Wednesday.

It's generally thought to be easier to manage if people can contrive a DD, MD, UD sequence, if they have enough time. You do, just about

This is an interesting perspective on how to be more flexible with your DD allowance once you're established, in case travel or invitations are a recurrent issue: I believe I had an epiphany...my longest post ever.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #146
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveninepointfive View Post
I am starting my fourth week. Sadly, I had a a five pound spike over my last UD/DD rotation. I want to tighten up my routine and do things right. Ow ever, I have a dinner date on Wed (a DD.). Is there a proper way to flip the rotation around? Is that a MD?
Btw, I can't drink enough water today. I am so thirsty. I hope this spike in weight goes down quickly.
I personally dislike MDs but it's recommended to think small, medium, large (DD, MD, UD) I did about 4 or 5 MDs tops. I found I stalled, but plenty of people have frequent MDs and that works for them. I tried not to switch rotations often and now that I do 5:2 for maintenance I can always fit 2 DDs in even though I almost always have them on M and W.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #147
Junior LCF Member

Pants not fitting better yet. I know, I know, it's only been 4 days but already thinking ahead here....how long should I wait before I adjust my calories? Unfortunately today I went over my goal by 300 :/ Forgot about a donut I had earlier and in the meantime ate those calories to make sure I met the goal. Then again, I put down 700 calories for a drink I had out, which might be an overestimate. Bottom line, feeling absolutely stuffed today. For those of you losing consistently, do your UDs feel almost like you're bingeing? Or does it feel more like full, but not stuffed?
Old 06-16-2013, 09:25 PM   #148
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Pants not fitting better yet. I know, I know, it's only been 4 days but already thinking ahead here....how long should I wait before I adjust my calories? Unfortunately today I went over my goal by 300 :/ ?
JUDDD is not a rapid fat loss programme in the early stages for most people.

Big drops in the first few days are about losing sodum and fluid because of substantially lower insulin levels (relating to both calorie intake and possibly carb intake) and/or they reflect loss of glycogen from the muscles or liver (if carb intake is much lower and the glycogen stores are being depleted, plus glycogen is stored with approx. 3-4 times itself in water so it gives a deceptive scale whoosh when it leaves).

You may well be advised to at least wait out your induction period of 2 weeks of solid rotations in which you make your numbers because it's useful to use the induction to get used to the DD and UD difference and see if there are any wrinkles that need to be sorted.

About going over the UD allowance, it's no big thing as it's helpful to use induction to learn about such things then move on. Progress, not perfection - as so many good taglines say.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:02 PM   #149
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
I haven't lost in a linear fashion at all.

I lost 6lbs or so in 3 weeks then spent the next 5/6 weeks cycling the same 2.5lbs. I lost approx. 10lbs over March (allowing for some bouncing) then spent weeks in April without losing anything, with a drop of almost 5lbs in a few days of the last 2 weeks then 1.6lbs overall in May with an extra 1.4lb coming and going that really made it about 3lbs (and that happened in 1 week).

So, it's not linear, it didn't slow down or speed up when I shifted to 3DD, 3UD, 1MD.
so is a MD about half of an UD? Crazy how the weight fluctuates so much, but what really matters is that you've lost in the long run and enjoyed yourself!
Old 06-17-2013, 02:41 AM   #150
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Pants not fitting better yet. I know, I know, it's only been 4 days but already thinking ahead here....how long should I wait before I adjust my calories? Unfortunately today I went over my goal by 300 :/ Forgot about a donut I had earlier and in the meantime ate those calories to make sure I met the goal. Then again, I put down 700 calories for a drink I had out, which might be an overestimate. Bottom line, feeling absolutely stuffed today. For those of you losing consistently, do your UDs feel almost like you're bingeing? Or does it feel more like full, but not stuffed?
4 days is a bit too soon to see a difference. I would recommend you stick with your calculated numbers till you hit a stall (more than 2 weeks). In the beginning I felt very stuffed by my UD calories, but this will change so enjoy it while you can.

Quote:
so is a MD about half of an UD? Crazy how the weight fluctuates so much, but what really matters is that you've lost in the long run and enjoyed yourself!
A MD is equal to 60% on Dr. J's calculator. What other woe can you lose weight by "dieting" only half the time?
Closed Thread