Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2013, 01:19 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LifeIsGood2013
WOE: Intuitive Eating
Start Date: 4/2014
I Want the Health Benefits Only, No Weight Loss

I am so confused and I apologize to those that have answered similar questions from me but I just can't seem to figure this out

I came to JUDDD in search of the potential health benefits only. I'm already below my goal weight so I'm strictly looking to this for my health, not to lose anymore weight (I'm finally done with living a restrictive/deprived diet lifestyle and now I want to get on with my life).

I started out my doing a little longer JUDDD Induction Phase (10 DD's instead of 7, on EOD rotations - which, if I understand the book correctly, is long enough to activate the SIRTs).

What is the best way to keep the SIRTs flowing without doing low DD's (I'm interested in increasing my DD calories to make this more doable for life)?

I'm thinking of a few different options but don't know if either will help me achieve my goal, which is flowing SIRTs for my health.

1) 5:2 or 4:3 rotations (do I have enough SIRTs built up to do this)? If not, how long would I need to stay on EOD rotations before switching to 4:3/5:2?

2) keep doing EOD rotations but increase my DD calories to the 50% level so that I don't lose anymore weight and also so I don't feel restricted like I'm still on a 'diet'?

Recap - I want the health benefits of SIRTs, not weight loss, and definitely not a restrictive 'diet-type' lifestyle.

Also, I don't know if this is normal or not but I used to have a ton of energy on UDs and the first 1/2 of my DDs, however, during this past week I have felt really exhausted and have needed to nap every day (not normal for me). Thoughts?

Thanks a ton for your help, again!
LifeIsGood2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2013, 02:09 PM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
It's hard to say for sure. Do you feel the benefits of being SIRT saturated? If you do, I would think 5:2 would work if your 2 DDs were very low. Otherwise 4:3 at around 600- 700. It's hard to say. I don't know your stats and that could make a difference. I think eod at 50-60% would work too.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:27 PM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Any DD is going to feel like a "diet", no matter how high you go. If it is a Down Day, it's necessarily going to be way under "normal" calories. If your goal is to eat normally every day at maintenance levels, then IF is not for you. You can go as high as 50-60% 4:3, as Carly said, or do 5:2 with low DDs, if your SIRTs are already active. As far as I can tell from other JBs, the "magic" is very individual, and does not happen at the same time for everyone. It might help to read Dr. Johnson's book, or Dr. Moseley's 5:2 book, to find out the health benefits. I hope you find what works best for you!

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*

Last edited by Librarygirl; 05-31-2013 at 02:28 PM..
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:16 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
If I were you, I would just fast in the window either 16:8 or similar. Much simpler and will give you the fasting edge.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:40 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for your replies.

Carly - my stats are - 5'4", 111 lbs., age 45 female. I don't know what SIRT saturated is supposed to feel like so I'd say I'm not there yet. Can I get there by doing any/all of the following: 4:3, 5:2, or 50-60% DD's or would I need to continue low DD's with EOD until I feel the Magic?

Cindy - I guess I should have said that DDs at 295 (according to the JUDDD calculator) aren't going to work for me long term as it feels like a restricted diet. At 50% which is 737 or 60% at 884, now that is very doable for me. I read Dr. J's book (The Alternate Day Diet) but not 5:2. Will have to see if I can get my hands on a copy.

Sunday - I have been trying to eat 16:8 and I also make sure I work out before I eat while in a fasting state. What is the 'Fasting Edge'?

Another question - does there have to be a minimum of 1000 calorie spread to keep the SIRTs active?
Old 05-31-2013, 03:44 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, and take pterostilbene.

Quote:
Importantly, markers of cellular stress, inflammation, and AD pathology were positively modulated by pterostilbene but not resveratrol and were associated with upregulation of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor (PPAR) alpha expression. Taken together our findings indicate that at equivalent and diet-achievable doses pterostilbene is a more potent modulator of cognition and cellular stress than resveratrol, likely driven by increased peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha expression and increased lipophilicity due to substitution of hydroxy with methoxy group in pterostilbene.
Low-dose pterostilbene, but not resveratrol,... [Neurobiol Aging. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI
Old 05-31-2013, 03:51 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Fasting edge is same as benefits of Sirt-1, such as cleaning out your cellular damage and regenerating your metabolism. Therapeutic indications for SIRT1 activation include the following benefits: metabolic disease, neurodegenerative disease & inflammation.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:57 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood2013 View Post
Sunday - I have been trying to eat 16:8 and I also make sure I work out before I eat while in a fasting state. What is the 'Fasting Edge'?

Another question - does there have to be a minimum of 1000 calorie spread to keep the SIRTs active?
If you are eating in a window, which some scientists believe 14 hours is all that is necessary for women/ 16 for men. I have kept w/ 16 hrs because I am still in WLM as well. Then you just eat however many cals you would normally eat in 8 hours. I have been eating to satiation but no more. I feel best w/ 1200- 1400 cals daily, but have definitely gone above on occasion and less as well.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:10 PM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Thanks for your replies.

Carly - my stats are - 5'4", 111 lbs., age 45 female. I don't know what SIRT saturated is supposed to feel like so I'd say I'm not there yet. Can I get there by doing any/all of the following: 4:3, 5:2, or 50-60% DD's or would I need to continue low DD's with EOD until I feel the Magic?

Cindy - I guess I should have said that DDs at 295 (according to the JUDDD calculator) aren't going to work for me long term as it feels like a restricted diet. At 50% which is 737 or 60% at 884, now that is very doable for me. I read Dr. J's book (The Alternate Day Diet) but not 5:2. Will have to see if I can get my hands on a copy.

That should be more than adequate to keep SIRTs flowing (bolded section). If you wanted to do 4:3 maybe around 600 I don't know if anyone has the official answer to this.

Regarding "the magic": do you have increased energy, decreased imflamation, decreased appetite, better mental clarity or focus? Those are just a few of the effects, but common ones. If you feel those now after induction you will just want to make sure you don't lose them by increasing calories too much, but there is no way to know without experimenting.

I just do 2 DDs and try to keep both under 200. I eat pretty much what I wish on the other days, but by most peoples standards that is not a whole lot. However, I'm not very big so my body does not require a whole lot. My UDs vary tremendously probably between 1100-1700. I don't count anymore on UDs, but I never have breakfast and lunch is rare, but today it was a 100 calorie yogurt with 2 deli pops and a laughing cow wegde= 155 calories and I was stuffed. Dinner will be a slice of pizza with a couple cups of coffee during the day.

When I switched into maintenance I started with 4:3 same as above and lost 3 additional pounds in 4 weeks, but 5:2 ground my losses to a halt, but I definitely feel that my SIRTs are still flowing.

Experiment! And let us know what you learn
75.8 lbs were evicted in less than 14 months!
Called goal on 2/5/13 at 126.8. I can wear size 4P!

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Old 05-31-2013, 04:21 PM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:

Also, I don't know if this is normal or not but I used to have a ton of energy on UDs and the first 1/2 of my DDs, however, during this past week I have felt really exhausted and have needed to nap every day (not normal for me). Thoughts?

Thanks a ton for your help, again!
This is not normal and one would expect the opposite. Many people have increased energy with SIRTs. Are you eating healthy foods that are nutritious? Do you feel good at your current weight? It is on the thin side. I know I usually feel really blah before TOM, but wanting to nap every day is not so great... I'd be really if I was feeling like that daily. However, I'm consistently energetic when fasting and even a small lunch can make me want a nap, which is why I usually wait till evening to eat. I really hope you start to feel better with regard to this
Old 05-31-2013, 04:34 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Sunday - I'll definitely pick up the ptero and will check out more re: fasting edge.

Carly - I felt great until this week and then wham, low energy. Maybe the SIRTs were starting to flow and then I lost them after my Memorial Day gorging - LOL. I can do 250 cal DDs but I really don't prefer to do it for the long-term. It feels too much like the restrictive eating I did for way too many years. I admire you for being able to keep yours so low with what seems like little effort!

Thanks again! I guess I'm kind of a guinea pig here since it seems most do JUDDD for the weight loss and the health benefits are icing on the cake. I'll play around with the suggestions and let you all know what happens.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:47 PM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

It's just so individual. 2 low DDs don't feel restrictive since 5 days I pretty much don't have any real restriction. For me it's a very small price to pay to maintain my weight and I hesitate to say I'm paying a "price" because I feel quite good on DDs. I guess if I were really hungry I'd eat higher DDs, but I guess I'm lucky that I just don't feel starved on my 2 DDs.

I think you will be able to help a lot of people in the future who pick this woe to maintain or enter maintenance and don't know how to proceed. You'll have to keep us posted with what works or doesn't work.