Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lc-chica
Stats: 164.4/152/140 5'5"
WOE: Judd
Start Date: 4-14-13
Dr's visit

I went to the Dr today. She asked me if I have made any changes in diet or exercise. I hadn't planned on telling her (lol) but did tell her, first said intermittent fasting then she asked for specifics and I told her - every other day under 500 calories, Up days 1800-2000. I simplified it a little bit. She feels that it is very bad, and it is putting me in starvation mode, and that on my eat days my body will hold onto everything (that doesn't explain why I am LOSING weight). And she wants me to eat 1300 every day instead. Yikes, I believe THAT will cause starvation mode. Anyways I kind of agreed to give her suggestion a try (kind of) although I think she knows better. Also she doesn't feel that EOD fasting is doable long term.

I didn't argue because I know she just wants what is best, but it kind of threw me off. I felt like MAYBE she would've said "great! awesome!" lol.

All I know is it's working, it's fairly easy, and it's more doable long-term than ANYTHING I've tried before. I am not stopping.

Oh and she also believes it messes up insulin levels, but I told her I really feel that it's made my insulin levels more stable. When asked what makes me feel that way, I said "I can feel it." I really believe that, as I have come to be very aware of my body. However, my insulin wasn't tested this time with my labs, so she put it down for next time, mainly b/c I wanna know

Btw it was an endo Dr that I saw if that makes a difference. I consider this office to be pretty knowledgeable about their stuff.
lc-chica is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2013, 11:31 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
I've gotten so used to not telling doctors what I'm doing to lose weight from being low-carb that it doesn't even cross my mind to be honest these days.

Quote:
Oh and she also believes it messes up insulin levels, but I told her I really feel that it's made my insulin levels more stable. When asked what makes me feel that way, I said "I can feel it." I really believe that, as I have come to be very aware of my body. However, my insulin wasn't tested this time with my labs, so she put it down for next time, mainly b/c I wanna know
There are more than a few of us diabetics doing JUDDD and so far it's been wonderful for us as far as I know! My endo was shocked at my 4.8 A1c at my last visit. I would have told her how I got it down if I thought she'd be receptive, because who knows how many other patients this might be the solution for? Doctors are frustrating sometimes. Keep up what you're doing since you know your body best!
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Stillman's
Start Date: February 2010
I would just tell her that you are following the "food pyramid" (or whatever it's called these days. My Plate or something like that?) because that's the most "balanced" plan, right?
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:02 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lc-chica
Stats: 164.4/152/140 5'5"
WOE: Judd
Start Date: 4-14-13
Lol, thanks all.

Actually they recommend low carb, although their idea of low is not as low as Atkins. I think they once told me to stay below 150 (carbs) per day. And of course no sugar, no refined carbs, mainly veggies, some fruits, etc etc.

So they aren't too bad.

I am interested to see what my A1C is! I take it lower is better? I just remembered they had a new note on the wall that said average for their patients A1C is 7. I am guessing that means they have it under control? Compared to most drs, they actually are pretty great.

But I am going to do what works for me.

My mom just started Judd to lose weight, and when I told her about the visit, she said "yeah it's probably not good for sugar but to lose weight, then you can maintain it another way." I have tried to get her to read up on it, and not just go by what I tell her, but so far she hasn't read much. I can only explain the details just so clearly. (She also goes to the same endo dr, and has insulin resistance.) I really believe it is healthy in so many ways, and I plan to do it as maintenance too!
lc-chica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
Quote:
I am interested to see what my A1C is! I take it lower is better? I just remembered they had a new note on the wall that said average for their patients A1C is 7. I am guessing that means they have it under control? Compared to most drs, they actually are pretty great.
7 seems rather high actually. I think the American Diabetes Association considers anything under a 5.6 "normal" or non-diabetic.

I didn't expect JUDDD to help with my insulin resistance, but it truly did. And that's with eating waaay more carbs than I used to. Just every other day! I hope you have the same positive results in terms of blood sugar, and it seems you're already experiencing them in all the other ways JUDDD offers.
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:00 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I did JUDDD for 13 months and 5:2 for another 4 months. My endo asked what I was doing and seemed to support it. I see her for thyroid disease, not diabetes, but I would think she would have told me if she had a problem with it. I don't think, at any time in that almost a year and a half, that I went into starvation mode. I lost around 120 pounds. Feel free to share that with your endo.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:04 PM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I remember over a decade ago, when I was doing LC, people telling me over and over how unhealthy it was. And I would look them in the eye, and say "more unhealthy than being 100 pounds overweight?" That usually stopped them in their tracks. But of course, you don't have even close to that amount to lose (thank goodness!). I think doctors, most of whom are sorely undereducated in nutrition related issues, should stop pushing the "party line" and open themselves up to some new ideas.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
It's really disheartening when you realize that your doctor is less informed than you are about some things. I feel that many of them must have been good students (smart) and got their degrees/then jobs and started making money. As far as continued education, they probably mostly go on what's generally accepted in medical books. I don't know, of course, but it leads one to speculate wildly.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:23 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DeltaBigBoy
Stats: 342/263.4/?160?
WOE: Intermittent Fasting
I just tell everyone I'm just eating less.
DeltaBigBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
My endo looks at me like I'm kinda nuts, but he watched me lose 75 pounds and bring my A1C from 9.8 to 5.6 so he doesn't say much. He just asks are you still following your diet? And are you eating at night? Answers are Yes and not like I used to... In that order
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:44 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/108/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Some of the PHD women (Sunday, Key Tones) are taking unmodified potato starch as a supplement and reporting stable BS and lower FBGs. I know Tatertot reported a week of his results using a BS meter.

Within JUDDD and other WOE such as PHD it seems there are several interesting case reports about improved glucose regulation. And people like Carly who have reported reduced HbA1C which is the useful long term indicator.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:17 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Whitlin'
Stats: 162/149/149
Start Date: March, 2009
((lc chica)) Sorry you had to endure that. I would smile at the doctor's being out of touch, but it's sorta not funny. This is one of those moments when the doctor may actually look up what you said, especially since you used some very contemporary "in-the-news" phrases like intermittent fasting. When she does (and she'll have to come across it eventually - it's everywhere), she'll see that calorie restriction has been going mainstream-medical while she was out of the loop. At your next visit, you might want to be gentle with her because unless she refuses to read (not good for a doctor) she will have read a lot of good things about your way of eating and remember that you told her so. Hugs to you.

About your mother.... she's got a point. Just losing weight is a great goal even if we don't look at the diet any further than that. Dr. Johnson is one of many doctors who have speculated that that loss of weight itself is a health-enhancing goal to strive for, even if we don't criticize what foods are chosen. That's controversial. But this is one of the reasons he didn't restrict any foods.

Best wishes. Keep yourself informed. ((( hugs )))

Lost 13 pounds on JUDDD in 2009 and began happy maintenance. Slipped up in 2012, but JUDDD got me back to goal!
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote