Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Starting JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/804963-starting-juddd.html)

ohcmb 05-28-2013 07:48 PM

Starting JUDDD

Hi all!

25 year old female. I have struggled with weight my entire life.

I topped out at just over 300 pounds at the age of 19. I had a vertical sleeve gastrectomy (no bypass; just cut off part of my stomach to decrease capacity). I lost 140 pounds down to 170 pounds by the time I was 20. I maintained that weight loss for a couple years. I didn't make the best choices in the weight loss stages and I think I may have killed my metabolism and burnt a lot of muscle. On top of that I then started making up for all the things I had always missed out on in life when I was overweight. So in the last 2-3 years I have allowed myself to gain 30 pounds back.

I have reached my ultimate low and knew I had to regain control of myself. I stumbled across JUDDD while looking at some IF stuff this morning and I truly feel like it was meant to be. I think this is something sustainable that I can do.

My doctor didn't bless me with a tiny sleeve. Being so young I wasn't comfortable going really small. I can eat a fair amount of food. I am able to eat normal portions but not really overeat. I can overeat if I graze though.

My stats:

5'7
197 pounds
~37% Body Fat

UD: 2051
DD: 410

I will keep you all updated on how it goes for me this first week! I look forward to getting to know you all and feel like I already know same of you from all my reading today! Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

reptogirl 05-28-2013 08:03 PM

Yay!!!! You won't be sorry, I love juddd!!!! Best of luck to you :)

LoCarbGal 05-28-2013 10:28 PM

:welcome: to you! Wow, it sounds like you've already been through quite a battle with weight in your young life and major surgery to boot. I think IF is a wonderful thing, with benefits far outweighing just the weight loss aspect, although that is my major motivation, I'll admit. The health benefits are also wonderful. I see this as being sustainable for a long, long time, at least in some form or another. I hope it'll be just what you've been looking for!

ohcmb 05-28-2013 11:20 PM

thank you for the well wishes!

I definitely have been through a lot in the way of weight loss.

I am excited to get into this! Way back when I was at my low weight I was eating mostly primally and incorporated IF in my diet. I never felt better or looked better than I did back then.

The lifestyle was not sustainable for me though. I think this style of IF will work out much better and as far as my diet goes just trying to eat as clean as possible rather than focusing on being 'paleo' is a better fit for me.

I am going to keep this thread updated as my place for accountability and updates.

Carly 05-29-2013 03:33 AM

:welcome: ohcmb! I hope you will love juddding as much as I do!

Librarygirl 05-29-2013 03:39 AM

:welcome: ochmb!!!

zipp2play 05-29-2013 05:25 AM

YOU have come to the right place. We have people that have lost 100+ on this plan and people who only need to lose a few and did so and now successfully maintain!

Jump here and chat, we are a lively bunch! :welcome:

KeirasMom 05-29-2013 07:47 AM

JUDDD is phenomenal. I hope you find it as wonderful as I have! You're young enough still where this can be a great way to get where you want to be and maintain for the rest of your life, with no further surgery or expensive diet plans, and you can enjoy the rest of your life with one less thing hanging over your head. Good luck!

Flutter 05-29-2013 07:51 AM

I bet a lot of us here have struggled with our weight from our teens (or earlier) on. It is AWESOME that you have found Juddd so early in life! I sure wish I had! Kudos to you and welcome! Post often, jump right in!

ohcmb 05-29-2013 09:39 AM

Day 1 Begins!

So far so good. I woke up late due to not being able to sleep last night but I feel strong and confident so far that I can make it through this day!

I am about to run to costco with my mom though so the samples will be tempting :yummy: . I will be fine without though! It will be a good test for me!

Menu today goes like this...

Protein Shake: 200 cal
Cup of Soup: 100 cal
Protein Shake: 200 cal (if needed..)

LoCarbGal 05-29-2013 10:10 AM

Good luck with Day 1 ohcmb. It's a challenge at first, but so worth it. Just keep telling yourself you can have what you want tomorrow. Keeping that in mind really does make it easier to do!

desertgirl 05-29-2013 10:58 AM

:hiya:

I'm new here, too. I started 3 weeks ago. I have only lost 5 lbs, but I didn't have that much to lose.

I had a few rough DDs in the beginning, but they have become easier. Last night was hard, and I had to tell myself, "You can eat what you want tomorrow" about 10 times between 9 and 10 pm. :annoyed:

I am doing JUDDD in conjunction with Fast 5 - and trying to keep my eating in a 5 hour window. I did that years ago (not with Juddd) and it really helped my digestion. I should never have stopped......

Good luck!

FairyWren 05-29-2013 11:44 AM

:hiya: ohcmb and :welcome:

Good luck with your first DD

bkm 05-29-2013 01:44 PM

:welcome: and best of .. Hmm, I don't want to say luck, that implies no work on your part... And you're definitely putting out effort! It's hard to change your eating habits, it's hard to experience hunger when surrounded by tasty food - but JUDD makes it doable, and it is so worth it! So, best of everything with your new WOE!

Kissa 05-29-2013 03:45 PM

Welcome to this great way to live. You are so lucky to have found this while you are young. The health benefits will work their magic for you and keep you slim, healthy and full of life.

ohcmb 05-29-2013 05:33 PM

Thank you everyone! You are all so very inspiring!

First DD didn't go quite as well as I had planned. I don't think it was a failure but it could have been perfect and it wasn't. I do have a bit of a headache and I am hoping it will be gone and I can sleep peacefully tonight since I didn't get much sleep last night.

I ended up having a shake, some hummus & wheat thins, and a cup of soup with a sprinkle of cheese.

My calories ended up being 600. Only 100 over but still don't feel great about this. My usual protein shake I mix is only 100 calories and the one I had to have today on the go was about 200. I didn't account for that and realized after all was said and done. I am taking it as a learning experience though for my Ddays.

I had a bit of my shake around 2pm and the rest around 4pm. I had some of the hummus with crackers at 3 and the rest of them when I finished my shake. 8pm I went for my soup and it was the most delicious treat. If I had known how great the soup would have been I could have held off on the crackers and hummus I think or at least not had quite as many of them. I think my plan for Friday will be just the protein shake and soup! Maybe some extra soup if I must because I will still have 160cal after that if I want them.

It was only my first day but I feel like this may be the one! Plan that is ha. Knowing that tomorrow I can eat normally has helped tremendously. You can do anything for one day.

TryingJudd 05-29-2013 06:50 PM

Welcome and congrats on a great start!

ohcmb 05-30-2013 05:08 AM

Down 1.7 from yesterday! Probably water and will probably bounce back but thats okay!

Day 2! UD! Feeling good this morning. I did go over on my calories some on my first DD but still feel very confident and I am ready for my next DD already so I can get them going perfect!

Eating this much today scares me. It took a lot of menu tweaking before I got up to my calorie goal. I am doing 1700 instead of the 2000 the juddd website calculates for me. I have had my RMR calculated at the doctors office and also after doing a hydro body fat test done and those were both 1600-1700.

Breakfast today:
225cal
2 eggs
2 double fiber wheat bread
1 laughing cow

Lunch:
360cal
Homemade Chili (even though its way too hot for that)
RF Sour Cream

Dinner:
550cal
Going to Doc Greens with a friend tonight. Will probably have a buffalo chicken wrap.

Snacks:
570cal
Hummus and Wheat Thins
Green Protein Smoothie

Mamatomany 05-31-2013 03:46 AM

Looks like you ahve had a fun UD :) Makes me hungry! Keep up the good work hunny! Your gonna do great on this WOE! Menu planning is huge and counting everything is so critical to success.

Carly 05-31-2013 05:14 AM

Is the 1600- 1700 number for weight maintenance? Just remember that EOD you are eating 500 or below so hopefully that 1700 isn't too low, but your menu plan seems great!

KeirasMom 05-31-2013 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carly (Post 16448231)
Is the 1600- 1700 number for weight maintenance? Just remember that EOD you are eating 500 or below so hopefully that 1700 isn't too low, but your menu plan seems great!

:goodpost: I agree with Carly. Whenever I went below what the calculator gave me, I stalled. It may work well for you, but I worry it's not enough to take you out of the stress response caused by the lower DDs.

Kimmietoo 05-31-2013 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohcmb (Post 16446139)
Knowing that tomorrow I can eat normally has helped tremendously. You can do anything for one day.

Absolutely! In my opinion this is JUDDDs greatest advantage!

Don't be dismayed about going over 100 on your first DD. They really do get easier as you go along and develop your own menus that work for you.

We're glad that you're here!

Kimmie

ohcmb 06-01-2013 12:40 AM

Keira and Carly-

Thanks for the tip. I wasn't sure because I thought either in the book or on the website the information was conflicting. I can't remember which I thought said which. But one I thought said go with the calc and the other I thought said you could use an online calculator or if you have have your numbers from other means...

I want to try to do this correctly before I start tweaking so for the next week or so I am going to try to reach the calculator goals for myself and go from there.

and Kimmie nice to see someone also in Atlanta!

SlowSure 06-01-2013 12:48 AM

RMR would just be your ticking over number of calories if you lay still and did nothing for the day. You may need the extra calories (as per the calculator) to get nearer to your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE).

Kinucan and Kravitz have a decent explanation:
Quote:

Human metabolism represents the sum total of the living cells’ energy producing and energy utilizing reactions. Energy balance can be thought of as the combined processes of caloric intake, caloric storing, and caloric expenditure. Total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) is the term used to describe how much energy is used (or how many calories are burned) by an individual during a 24-hour period. TDEE is made up of three primary components: resting metabolism rate (RMR), the thermic effect of physical activity (TEPA), and the thermic effect of feeding (TEF). RMR, which accounts for 60-75% of all calorie-burning processes is the amount of energy required to keep homeostatic processes (the regulation of organ systems and body temperature) performing efficiently. The second component of energy expenditure, TEPA, accounts for 15-30% of daily calorie burn depending on an individual’s activity level, which includes structured exercise as well as non-structured activity such as shivering and fidgeting. Most recently, this non-structured movement has been coined the name NEAT, for non-exercise activity thermogenesis (Levine et al., 2005). The final component, TEF, is the energy required for the digestion, absorption, transport, metabolism and storage of consumed food. It accounts for approximately 10% of daily calorie burn.

ohcmb 06-01-2013 04:02 AM

thank you so much slow for that! that helps me a lot!

Carly 06-01-2013 07:50 AM

I'm glad you are going to try the calculator number. As we lose that number goes down and I would hate to think you got your body used to less when you could have had more! At my weight my UD is about 1580 or so, but I can eat more than that on occassion by having low DDs and keeping my metabolism humming by having eaten up to or really close to my UD numbers through out my juddd journey.

ohcmb 06-01-2013 11:23 AM

Do you believe this plan can fix a broken metabolism? I believe mine is severely damaged.

Thank you so much for giving such great advice and helping me and others on the board! You are a huge inspiration.

LoCarbGal 06-01-2013 01:18 PM

I believe JUDDD can do all kinds of wonderful things. You'll have to just watch it all unfold for you, since we're all so different. But the journey is fun, illuminating, fascinating, confusing, confounding, surprising...I could go on and on. It's great!

Carly 06-01-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoCarbGal (Post 16450320)
I believe JUDDD can do all kinds of wonderful things. You'll have to just watch it all unfold for you, since we're all so different. But the journey is fun, illuminating, fascinating, confusing, confounding, surprising...I could go on and on. It's great!

:goodpost:

Travelgirl70 06-04-2013 10:11 PM

Hi!
I am a little behind the power curve, but am starting today.

I am 43 146 and have been looking at Intermittent fasting for a while. I ordered the book, so the next coup,e of weeks are going to be a trial run

Looking forward to trying this out.

Tracey