Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2013, 11:31 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cynthialynn
Stats: 180.6/136/125
WOE: JUDD
Question for those who started JUDD w/diabetes

A friend of mine has been very impressed with my weight loss on Judd and would like to start the plan. Because she is diabetic - she was wondering if others have done it without doing it low carb. Low carb dieting is just not sustainable for her and she has lost and then regained lots of weight.
She is worried a bit about the swing in calories causing blood sugar crashes but she really wants to start something new. Her doctor wants her to eat 6-8 small meals a day - but that does not seem to be helping her BS or her weight.
She takes 500mg metformin twice a day. Could Judding help her?
cynthialynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: reptogirl
Stats: 333.2/317.2/ next weigh in 5/19
WOE: Induction 72
Start Date: March 30 2014
i hope the answer is yes my mom wants to try as well!!!
reptogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Carly started diabetic and on Metformin. She is now off her meds. While I'll let her tell her complete story I do know she only did LC for the first bit (a month I think?) then added carbs back in. Even though the name of this site is "low carb friends" there are more JBs who are NOT LC than who are...at least, that's my impression from reading the postings.
She is now completely off meds and her A1C is in a healthy range.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #4

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
it depends on the person. how old is she? how bad is her diabetes? how overweight is she?

it's MUCH more important to keep her blood sugars under control than lose weight. People think diabetes is caused by being overweight, but really, they are both symptoms of the same metabolic malfunctions in the people who have a tendency to diabetes. sometimes losing weight helps, but a lot of times not much... doctors are so prejudiced against the obese, you know how they blame EVERYTHING on our being fat!

the only thing is for her to try it. take her blood sugars on UDs, after her biggest meals, and be honest with herself. the highest numbers should stay under 140 to prevent longterm complications.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I was on the Byeatta injection 2x per day with an A1C of 9.8 after 1 month of juddd following 1 month of LC I was able to come off the Byeatta and my A1C was 5.6 at my last check up which was after a year of juddding with carbs.

I take nothing what so ever for diabetes and my endo said as long as the weight stays off I only have to come in 1x per year!
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

That's fantastic Carly! Congratulations!
I hope my friend has the same success. She is so ready to get healthy!
Old 05-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
it depends on the person. how old is she? how bad is her diabetes? how overweight is she?

it's MUCH more important to keep her blood sugars under control than lose weight. People think diabetes is caused by being overweight, but really, they are both symptoms of the same metabolic malfunctions in the people who have a tendency to diabetes. sometimes losing weight helps, but a lot of times not much... doctors are so prejudiced against the obese, you know how they blame EVERYTHING on our being fat!

the only thing is for her to try it. take her blood sugars on UDs, after her biggest meals, and be honest with herself. the highest numbers should stay under 140 to prevent longterm complications.
Good points. Whenever she drops weight - her BS numbers improve drastically so there is a correlation there.
She just can't seem to stick to any program for the long run. Probably because she has only tried VLC diets.
I think JUDD is doable for the long run - so I'm hoping she does well with it.
She just turned 50 and is 5'4 230 lbs.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
It sounds like your friend is not on insulin? Which will make it much easier for her to JUDDD than otherwise.

I can only speak from my own experience, but I am a diabetic and prior to JUDDD was very low carb, which helped control my blood sugar. I assumed that as I added carbs back in (and I've added them ALL back in at one point or another while on JUDDD) my blood sugar would start to be out of control. But after six months on JUDDD, my A1C was a 4.8, which was lower than it's ever been even on very low carb.

But everyone's experiences are different. Even if your friend has to still be moderately low carb, or limit her carbs in one sitting to ensure her bg stays within range, JUDDD may still help with her IR. It has for me and others. I've had no issues with hypos, but she may have to watch out for that in the beginning as her body adjusts to fasting. It may help her to have some small amount of protein throughout the day even on her DD's.
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Sorry, Carly. Messed up again. But glad you chimed in.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for your words of wisdom deedee and congratulations on your success.
I hope JUDD is just the thing to help my friend.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:22 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
Quote:
Thanks for your words of wisdom deedee and congratulations on your success.
I hope JUDD is just the thing to help my friend.
I hope so too! It'll probably help your friend to track everything she eats, not only to ensure she's actually following the proper calorie spread, but to see what types of foods spike her bg higher than others after she tests. Not all carbs effect all diabetics the same way. Good luck to your friend and I hope she loves JUDDD!
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedee View Post
I hope so too! It'll probably help your friend to track everything she eats, not only to ensure she's actually following the proper calorie spread, but to see what types of foods spike her bg higher than others after she tests. Not all carbs effect all diabetics the same way. Good luck to your friend and I hope she loves JUDDD!
Thanks!
Old 05-26-2013, 06:02 PM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
Sorry, Carly. Messed up again. But glad you chimed in.
No worries I was pretty darn impressed you remembered as much as you did! A+ for you!
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote