Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 04:37 PM   #31
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood2013 View Post
Will the JUDDD Magic eventually kick in if I am not doing EOD rotations but rather a 4:3 or 5:2 rotation schedule?
I did every other day rotations for 11 mos, 1 month of 4:3 and have been doing 5:2 since April. I have kept my Juddd magic, but my 2 DDs each week are about 160 calories so I think that helps keep the SIRTs flowing. I have no idea if I would have gotten the magic with out the year of rotations.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2013, 08:16 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood2013 View Post
Will the JUDDD Magic eventually kick in if I am not doing EOD rotations but rather a 4:3 or 5:2 rotation schedule?
I answered this somewhere else, I'll see if I can find it. Short answer: In my opinion, no. If I can't find my old post I will try to remember to come back & explain why.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Found it! From April Newbies Chat Here, page 7, post #188.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
Like Carly said, I'm not sure there is a definitive answer to this but here is my opinion based on reading, learning, personal experience and some knowledge of the physiology of how the gene is activated.

I think 5:2 would not build up the SIRTs, or, if it does, it would take a very long time. On your first DD, SIRTs are activated and then you "rescue" yourself by eating the next day. There are still a few SIRTs floating around during the subsequent UD, not many but some. Each DD, you re-activate the SIRTs and there is an accumulation of the molecule, a build up - if you will - that then allows for essentially full-time SIRTS after 2 weeks of strict EOD rotations. You then have enough SIRTs built up to have them working full time, and each DD you replenish whatever has been used up the previous UD. For gals like Carly in maintenance, or the 5:2 crowd, they've already done their EODs to get their levels high. Nancy said once, somewhere, that it takes about 2 weeks of being completely OFF rotations for you to "run out" of SIRTs, so with 4 DDs every 2 weeks, the maintainers or 5:2 JUDDDers are still getting their SIRT on.

If 2 weeks is some sort of magic number for induction of SIRTS, that's 7-8 DDs, which would take twice as long to accomplish with a 5:2 system. Maybe if the 5:2 was combined with Fast 5? That might work to activate SIRTs sooner as you're doing a mini-fast each day along with the 2 DDs?

I guess if it were me, I'd tell him to "suck it up" and do the EODs for 2 weeks if he's truly after the health benefits because we KNOW that works!
Forgive the seeming non sequitur at the end, this was posted in relation to someone asking about their hubby wanting to JUDDD or 5:2 for the health, not weight loss, benefits but didn't want to do EOD, IIRC.

I guess I've revised my opinion since even writing this - I do not think 5:2 would give you enough DDs to get a good build up of SIRTs. If it takes EOD to really build them up, I can't imagine a scenario where you'd be able to build up enough if you're starting from scratch, having 1 DD to every 2.5 UDs. So I guess I'm taking my official position away from the "Maybe but it will take a long time" and moving it over to the "No, 5:2, as I understand it <eat when you want, no window, but 2 DDs and 5 UDs per week> will not appreciably build SIRTs to a level that someone would experience the JUDDD magic." I'm happy to be convinced otherwise but until then, this is my newly adopted official position.

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LifeIsGood2013
WOE: Intuitive Eating
Start Date: 4/2014
I forgot to mention that I did EOD rotations for the first few weeks . 10 out of first 22 days were DD's when I started. Since then I have migrated towards only 2 or 3 DD's a week though. Do you think I need to go back to EOD for awhile or will I eventually feel the magic now that I'm doing 5:2/4:3?

Last edited by LifeIsGood2013; 05-30-2013 at 10:13 AM..
LifeIsGood2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:22 AM   #35
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/151/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
It depends if the sirts were built up before you switched to fewer DDs, I would imagine. Dr. J (from what I've read here) seemed to indicate that, once you're saturated, the sirts stay active in your body for a couple of weeks, even without fasting during that time. That's why so many can go away for vacation with little or no damage, or damage that is easily fixed with just a couple of DDs.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:27 PM   #36
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I second what Dawn said. I have kept the great feeling and lack of hunger through JUDDD, 5:2 and a lot of vacations.

Just now I am JUDDDing to lose my vacation weight but will go back to 5:2 to maintain.
Kissa is online now   Reply With Quote