Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   UD Calories--Do You Count Them? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/804681-ud-calories-do-you-count-them.html)

amethyst 05-23-2013 10:15 AM

UD Calories--Do You Count Them?
 
Hi, I'm new here, and I've been reading a bit. It looks like most people here count their UD calories. I haven't been doing that. I know I consistently go over my UD calories (the number generated by the calculator on the JUDDD site).

Does anyone here not count their UD calories and just eat as much as they want? Thanks!

calichris 05-23-2013 10:20 AM

I started out not counting my UD calories, and lost great. Until I didn't (in my 2nd month) and then started counting. It's funny, a lot of people starting out have trouble getting their UD calories in, but when you've been doing it for awhile your body adapts and will compensate on UDs. (Dr. Johnson mentions this in the book). So, if you're losing without counting, even knowing you are going over, do that ... if you're not losing, time to count. :up:

adillenal 05-23-2013 10:36 AM

I have to count or I will eat 2000 - 3000 calories and think I am not. And since I count if I eat something extra I know how far over I have gone.

deedee 05-23-2013 11:13 AM

I didn't in the beginning and still lost. Then I hit a long stall and realized every UD can't be an UUAD! But boy it would be fun if they could be.

If you're still losing and not counting on UD's, I'd stick with that as long as possible, because when/if you do ever hit a stall, lowering your UD to the calculator numbers may break it.

texas_child 05-23-2013 11:28 AM

I'm just eating until satisfied on up days.
I have this theory that by not restricting and being as natural as possible on that day I wont freak my body out in starvation mode.

Thats just me though! :)

Goner 05-23-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calichris (Post 16437130)
It's funny, a lot of people starting out have trouble getting their UD calories in, but when you've been doing it for awhile your body adapts and will compensate on UDs. (Dr. Johnson mentions this in the book).

May I ask what "your body adapts and will compensate on UDs" means? I admit I haven't gotten the book yet. Thank you.

Flutter 05-23-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goner (Post 16437312)
May I ask what "your body adapts and will compensate on UDs" means? I admit I haven't gotten the book yet. Thank you.

For lots of folks, their bodies get hungrier on UDs after awhile. It learns the pattern and wants more food. ;)

As for counting UD cals, I always have and still do. I like to be able to look back and see what I was doing when I was losing well, or hit a stall, etc. plus it helps me stay on track.

Never Too Late 05-23-2013 01:01 PM

Although I started JUDDD in late March, I've religiously counted calories since Jan 1st of this year. And I've counted all my up-day calories, even on the rare days I've eaten above my calorie limit.

Now, for my confession. I've counted calories all these months until this week. I admit to slacking off and not counting 2 up days ... sigh. I think I'm suffering from burnout and lack of focus.

I also notice that I do good on my DDs all day long, counting every morsel and being a good girl -- until the late evening, when I seem to sabotage all my efforts and have a small binge that sends me up to 700 calories sometimes. This has occurred twice in the past several weeks.

Ugggh. I'm disgusted with myself. I did so well losing weight the first month, but this month I've lost 3 pounds and don't want to start gaining.

Sirtain 05-23-2013 01:06 PM

I do not count on my Up Days. I DO stay low-carb primal(for the most part). I have been doing JUDDD for 11 weeks now, and am still losing steadily (1-2 pounds per week, average). If I stop losing, I will consider counting on my Up Days, but I haven't been tempted to yet.

I know I cannot/ will not count calories on a long-term basis, so I am trying to avoid making it part of my weight-loss plan. Even for my Down Days, I counted in the beginning, but now I just eat the same type of things each time, and don't worry about measuring exactly.

SlowSure 05-23-2013 01:19 PM

I always count on UDs. I draw up a meal plan for 2 weeks ahead (I change it if the weather varies or something drastic happens) and batch cook so I know what I'm eating.

I tend to leave a gap of about 200-400kcals so that I have the freedom to accept something that I've been offered or to include a pudding/cheeseboard.

Scarlett46 05-23-2013 01:30 PM

I count it all... And I am terrible at remembering what's what, so I do it everytime in my online calorie counter! I tend to fail miserably when I don't plan ahead, so I plan at least a few days out, figuring what works best to equal what I need each day (with what's available in my house), and then I just consult the plan whan it's time to pack my lunch or cook dinner.

I always cook a big batch of something on the weekends (like chili or lentil soup), and freeze it all in individual containers for my weekday lunches. Makes for quick & easy mornings, and they are added as "favorites" in my counter.

Stash'sWife 05-23-2013 01:39 PM

I do not want to count calories long term, either. I feel like these first few weeks are a time to learn what my "normal" intake levels are for the foods I like to eat most often, and then I can "ball park".

I am worried about an "increased hunger mechanism". I do this WOE to not feel constantly hungry and deprived. Now I hear my body will adjust, causing me to feel hungry/deprived

:(

LoCarbGal 05-23-2013 01:44 PM

Well, the fact is that things are constantly changing on JUDDD. At least for me they have been. DDs started out hard and become heroically easy, and then recently kinda tough again. UDs became challenging for awhile, then eased off. It seems to be cyclical, and if you're willing to be open to what your body is telling you at any given time, you can ride the wave and still have success. It's such a learning process!

Flutter 05-23-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stash'sWife (Post 16437446)
I do not want to count calories long term, either. I feel like these first few weeks are a time to learn what my "normal" intake levels are for the foods I like to eat most often, and then I can "ball park".

I am worried about an "increased hunger mechanism". I do this WOE to not feel constantly hungry and deprived. Now I hear my body will adjust, causing me to feel hungry/deprived

:(

I didn't mean to imply EVERYONE'S bodies adapt and they get hungrier! I just meant it has certainly been talked about before! I am going through this right now, in fact.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoCarbGal (Post 16437451)
Well, the fact is that things are constantly changing on JUDDD. At least for me they have been. DDs started out hard and become heroically easy, and then recently kinda tough again. UDs became challenging for awhile, then eased off. It seems to be cyclical, and if you're willing to be open to what your body is telling you at any given time, you can ride the wave and still have success. It's such a learning process!

I echo LCG completely here. JUDDD seems to be like raising children to me. Just when I think I understand my body and how it does with JUDDD, it changes and surprises me!!!!

Try not to worry, stash's wife, go with the ride! :heart: :laugh:;) you will do fine!!!

lc-chica 05-23-2013 04:09 PM

I started out counting on UDs .. like the first week .. then it all came back to me, from when I used to count calories in the past. I tend to remember things, and I eat a lot of the same things all the time. So I don't actually count anymore. I keep track in my head, ball park, throughout the day and try to leave plenty for dinner (and dessert :) . So far it is working for me, but I realize eventually I may need to keep better track. I actually found myself the opposite of a lot of people -> in the beginning, I could EAT on an UD. But now I am eating less, not feeling as ravenous. I also try to eat low DD (as low as I can go) so that if I go a little over on an UD, hopefully it evens out. :dunno:

So far I LOVE Judd.

KeirasMom 05-23-2013 04:29 PM

I count everything, every day. I've relaxed a bit in maintenance, but when I was in WLM, I counted SF gum, coffee, tea, etc. When I say everything, I mean it. :hyst:

I didn't get fat eating "normally" so, at least for me, it's worth it to count, even or maybe especially in maintenance.

Stash'sWife 05-23-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flutter (Post 16437629)

Try not to worry, stash's wife, go with the ride! :heart: :laugh:;) you will do fine!!!

Thanks for the support~ ! The way I see it, if I DO have issues with hunger 8-12 weeks in, I can try going back to CNS (I never, ever have to go hungry on CNS, just restrict carbs most of the time).

Meanwhile, I will be thinner than I was 8-12 weeks ago! :)

Thanks again for the support!!

KeirasMom 05-23-2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stash'sWife (Post 16437702)
Thanks for the support~ ! The way I see it, if I DO have issues with hunger 8-12 weeks in, I can try going back to CNS (I never, ever have to go hungry on CNS, just restrict carbs most of the time).

Meanwhile, I will be thinner than I was 8-12 weeks ago! :)

Thanks again for the support!!

What's CNS?

Librarygirl 05-23-2013 05:16 PM

Central Nervous System? I am wondering too.

calichris 05-23-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stash'sWife (Post 16437446)
I am worried about an "increased hunger mechanism". I do this WOE to not feel constantly hungry and deprived. Now I hear my body will adjust, causing me to feel hungry/deprived

:(

It's a good thing to eat your up day calories. Sometimes people new to JUDDD have a hard time doing that, but it became not hard later, for me. I won't say I have never ever wished for more up day calories, but I am rarely left hungry by my up day calories and almost always find them very satisfying. It's just that I also do not usually have any trouble eating them all and they just feel normal rather than "a lot" the way they once did. For me that is not a bad thing ... I've been doing this for 10 months now and can't believe I'm still going strong. :up:

Yennie 05-23-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16437720)
What's CNS?

She posted earlier about her WOE - it's like "Carb Night Solution" or something. It was not a WOE I'd ever heard of.

Anyway, to answer the question: I count religiously, like Dawn, everything that goes in my mouth EXCEPT I do not count my potato days, I eat until satiety. Except (again that word) when I counted my 7 day hack for curiosity sake so I know about how many potatoes I can eat and what kind of calories I'm taking in. But I'd like to add that I absolutely DO NOT cheat my potato days so...

Like Dawn, I didn't get 70# overweight knowing how to eat correctly. I've made it into a bit of a game - can I guess how many calories are in this <enter food item here> before weighing & calculating. I'm getting better, but I am still off enough that I feel it would cause problems.

The only other time I did not count was on my 2 short vacations since starting JUDDD but I did eat sensibly.

Librarygirl 05-24-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calichris (Post 16438032)
It's a good thing to eat your up day calories. Sometimes people new to JUDDD have a hard time doing that, but it became not hard later, for me. I won't say I have never ever wished for more up day calories, but I am rarely left hungry by my up day calories and almost always find them very satisfying. It's just that I also do not usually have any trouble eating them all and they just feel normal rather than "a lot" the way they once did. For me that is not a bad thing ... I've been doing this for 10 months now and can't believe I'm still going strong. :up:

:goodpost: I never feel deprived really, on UDs. It's only that I *could* eat more than I'm alloted. Not that I'm hungry, or go to bed hungry by any means. I hope that never changes, lol.

Goner 05-24-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flutter (Post 16437328)
For lots of folks, their bodies get hungrier on UDs after awhile. It learns the pattern and wants more food. ;)

As for counting UD cals, I always have and still do. I like to be able to look back and see what I was doing when I was losing well, or hit a stall, etc. plus it helps me stay on track.

Thanks for the explanation.

I write everything down and count calories. I measure and weigh. I hope that as a result I will be able to visualize what I should be eating "someday" and not have to count calories forever. Also if I were to stall, I'd have a clear record of what I had done. I also constantly remind myself of things that appear to "work well" as I go along, if I did not have the record written down, I would not remember.

I was not one to count calories before, although I would note how many were in certain foods more out of curiosity. It is an interesting process to now realize how much or how little I can eat when I count. More bang for your buck, KWIM? I'm enjoying the count for now. YMMV

Carly 05-24-2013 11:20 AM

I counted in the beginning, but now I don't. I stopped a couple months in since overeating while awake was never an issue that I struggled with. I gained my weight from sleepwalk eating and had to take some extreme measures to ensure that was eliminated or very close to eliminated. If I had a history of overeating while awake I'm certain I would continue to count UDs, just like I have kept measures in place to minimze risk if I sleepwalk eat.

Shelly_S 05-24-2013 01:36 PM

I counted DD cals but I didn't count UD calories for the first two weeks and lost nothing. Once I started counting UD cals I realized I was going over 500-1500 cals on each UD those first 2 weeks. Keeping my UD cals at the right number on the calculator has kept me losing about 2 lbs per week. I've done 10 weeks now and I haven't noticed any increase in appetite except on some pre-TOM days. Both DD's and UD's are easier than when I started.

Librarygirl 05-24-2013 05:52 PM

I usually have one UD a week that I don't count. It means slower losses, but it's a choice I've made. I've also taken a few breaks where I didn't do DDs and didn't count. I was too scared to do it for more than 5 days at a time, and so far no damage done. I am not losing a whole bunch, but I'm not gaining either.

amethyst 05-28-2013 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carly (Post 16438689)
I counted in the beginning, but now I don't. I stopped a couple months in since overeating while awake was never an issue that I struggled with. I gained my weight from sleepwalk eating and had to take some extreme measures to ensure that was eliminated or very close to eliminated. If I had a history of overeating while awake I'm certain I would continue to count UDs, just like I have kept measures in place to minimze risk if I sleepwalk eat.

Wow, that's crazy! How did you find out that you were sleepwalk eating?

And thanks for all the responses, everyone! I just started my third week and have lost three pounds so far. I have a feeling that the weight loss has stopped. But I'm going to give it another week, and if I don't lose any more, I'll start counting my UD calories. I'm just so sick of weighing everything. But if I'm going to count, I have to weigh b/c I'm really bad at eyeballing volume.

adillenal 05-28-2013 11:27 AM

My food scale is a permanent ficture in the middle of my kitchen counter. Guess it is a habit now. I still can't guestimate ounces.

Kissa 05-28-2013 01:29 PM

I recommend counting UDs and DDs. Do as I say, not as I do. :lol::lol::lol:

Seriously I did count very seriously in former times. I am a little more casual these days.

Carly 05-28-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amethyst (Post 16443506)
Wow, that's crazy! How did you find out that you were sleepwalk eating?

Well I gained 140 pounds in 18 months when it started and every morsel of food in the house disapeared EVERY night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I weighed 92 pounds and went up to 230. I lost 110 doing Atkins in 2003 and lived alone so I kept no food what so ever at home. I ate all three meals at the hospital where I worked). I woke up sick to my stomach and my previous SO as well as current DW felt free to tell me all about it the next day. I also left a huge mess most nights and often cooked in my sleep so woke up to find the gas going on the stove. I used to smoke and I would smoke in my sleep and burned myself all the time.

It was not pretty. I still sleepwalk and will eat if anything is available, so we don't keep much of anything in the house and DW hides any little bit of snacks we have. I never seem to search for food outside of the kitchen so if she hides it in the second bedroom or even in the dining room I never go looking for it. This has been going on for almost 16 years. I don't think it's going to stop anytime soon. So I cope with it. I also shave 200 calories off my DD and UD just in case.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:06 AM.