Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Rant (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/804467-rant.html)

Demonica 05-19-2013 09:43 PM

Rant

My dad is in the hospital overnight. Doctors think he had a "mild stroke". My stepmother assured me he is alright and they are only keeping him overnight for observation purposes. They told her that their diet and exercise brought it on.:confused: Now I'm not sure what specifically what kind of diet and exercise program they are following (could possibly be low carb but I really don't know cuz she didn't tell me) but I would think that the only way exercise would cause that would be if he already had a clot and strenuous exercise could have jarred it loose. But diet causing it? No, I don't think so.

grannysmith 05-19-2013 10:24 PM

:console:hmmm...hopefully stepmother just wasn't processing info very well? That doesn't make sense. Hope it's not anything serious!

LoCarbGal 05-19-2013 11:34 PM

I'm so sorry to hear this! I hope he is doing okay and will recover quickly. I agree with you. It may be their standard answer for folks who eat the SAD and do very little exercise, but it doesn't seem to be the time to talk about that when he's just experienced the incident. Seems like something they would discuss a little later. I also hope it was a misunderstanding on your stepmother's part. Keep us posted. :aprayer: coming to you all.

Trigger828 05-20-2013 04:36 AM

Sorry for his troubles. I hope he recovers quickly and all is ok.

I would double check what smom was told. Right now she is probably in a state of shock over the whole thing anyway.

when you get more info later let us know.

Your family is in my prayers!

Carly 05-20-2013 05:06 AM

Hope your dad is doing better. I'm sure you can inquire about what was meant regarding their diet and exercise. :hugs:

Whitlin' 05-20-2013 05:23 AM

They probably just said many strokes are brought on by diet and exercise choices and dropped it - it would be doubtful they started diagnosing his diet at that moment.

Why not do some research and learn what the newest studies suggest for stroke-preventative diet. I believe tomatoes are considered wise, for instance, and perhaps salmon. Your ddad might appreciate the info.

I hope this was just a minor health set-back.

Mamatomany 05-20-2013 05:44 AM

Hope he is feeling better this morning!

Librarygirl 05-20-2013 05:56 AM

Hope your dad is doing better today, Demonica. I agree that they might have been told that his diet and maybe (lack) of exercise was the cause? Seems premature to make a diagnosis of any kind, but I am not an expert of course.:console:

Flutter 05-20-2013 06:43 AM

Huh, diet? That is odd! However, you never know what is going to "stick" with people when they are going through a trauma like this. Whatever the hospital staff said, I am sure sorry that your family has extra stress because of any comments made. That stinks! I hope your dad is going home today and recovers quickly and easily! Be extra kind to yourself girl! :hugs: :heart: It is so emotional having a parent ill. XO

deedee 05-20-2013 07:45 AM

I hope your dad is doing better today, what a scary and traumatic experience!

KeirasMom 05-20-2013 10:42 AM

:hugs: I know first hand ATM how information can get convoluted in stressful times. I hope that's what's going on with the diet/exercise comment. Wishing you well.

tobelowcarber 05-20-2013 11:17 AM

:hugs: hope you Dad is better today

Demonica 05-20-2013 01:22 PM

Haven't heard anything else, so I assume he is back home now and doing well.

gotitnow 05-20-2013 01:45 PM

Glad to hear this Demonica.:hugs: :aprayer: for continued improvement and good health.:)

Phyl:heart:

Flutter 05-20-2013 02:14 PM

Great news!!

grannysmith 05-21-2013 01:19 PM

It's weird, this year so far I've had three friends who've had TIAs (transient ischemic attacks), which is what is usually referred to a a "mild stroke". Their ages range from 40 to 53, and they all went through thousands of dollars worth of tests, which came up with zilch result-wise. So I guess what I'm saying is, no news is...the status quo!

Demonica 05-21-2013 08:03 PM

My stepmother just updated me. The MRI was clear and all tests came back normal. The dr just thinks it was overexersion. And after what I heard that he's been doing at work (because he still thinks he's 25), overexersion is an understatement! It was a form of amnesia, but he's got 98% of his memory back now. Wasn't a stroke after all. *major relief!*

LoCarbGal 05-21-2013 11:10 PM

OMGosh! That sounds scary, but so glad it wasn't strokes. You must be so relieved!

dawnyama 05-22-2013 06:15 AM

Good news!! And so glad to hear it was not his diet. I know that stress does awful things to the body. Hopefully he will take this as a sign to slow down.

deedee 05-22-2013 08:17 AM

I'm so glad it wasn't a stroke! But wow, who knew overexersion could cause temporary amnesia? Thank goodness he's on the mend.

JMBM 05-22-2013 07:00 PM

Glad to hear it wasn't a stroke. Hope he feels better soon.:)

tobelowcarber 05-23-2013 04:18 AM

Glad to hear it was not a stroke. You must feel relieved.