Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Tasty way to get a little fiber (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/804452-tasty-way-get-little-fiber.html)

calichris 05-19-2013 03:59 PM

Tasty way to get a little fiber

Has anyone tried the chocolate Vita Cakes in the freezer section of the supermarket? They are not really like a brownie or even cake, but they are chocolately, and I do like them, and they are only 50 calories and 5 grams of fiber, which is 20% of the recommended daily fiber for a woman. Although they are kind of smallish (a bit smaller than a pack of cards), if I have one with tea or something I find they fill me up, maybe because of the fiber. :up:

Carly 05-19-2013 05:04 PM

I've never heard of them. I'll check them out. Do they taste like a dessert?

calichris 05-19-2013 05:21 PM

Kind of! They are chocolate with chocolate chips, but low fat and kind of mildly sweet. They help for me with a sweet tooth, although they are not as good as a true dessert. :)

LoCarbGal 05-20-2013 12:05 AM

Sounds quite interesting. Do they give you gas (sorry!)? Fiber bars and things like that give me such bad gas I can hardly function. Very loud (tummy grumbling, not....you know), very painful.

calichris 05-20-2013 08:24 AM

They have not affected me that way. I don't know how the 5g of fiber compares to a typical fiber bar?

Whitlin' 05-20-2013 08:58 AM

There's a Chocolate Raspberry one, and that's my favorite flavor combination, so I will probably have to look for those.

Thanks.

lc-chica 05-20-2013 03:08 PM

I've tried them. They're good but small. I didn't notice the amount of fiber. They didn't bother me and I am very sensitive to too much fiber (especially when it comes from weird ingredients). So this must not be "weird" fiber. Lol.

stephdray 05-22-2013 11:14 AM

It's so strange that you should mention this, because I was just about to wax poetic about the vitalicious brownie. So, one day I had one on an up day as a before dinner snack. And I was like, "This is totally not worth the 100 calories. It is not delicious. It's ok tasting. What is the point of this? I'd rather have a real brownie."

However, three hours later, I was still full. And I didn't want to eat dinner.

So, with trepidation, I tried it the next day on a down day. I was worried, because I like to keep my down days pretty low carb. But, to my astonishment, the damned brownie was so filling, it helped me do a super low down day! (Also, tasted much better on a down day.)

Because of this, I'm making them a staple in my house. I'm not sure I want to spend 100 calories on a so-so brownie on an up day, but they may become my regular Down Day treat.

lc-chica 05-22-2013 08:18 PM

Ive only tried the really small ones, the 50 calorie ones. I checked today and mine (chocolate) have 6 grams fiber. Not super filling though, I have only had it once on a DD. However that was early in my Judd journey, so who knows.

calichris 05-23-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephdray (Post 16435585)
It's so strange that you should mention this, because I was just about to wax poetic about the vitalicious brownie.

I haven't tried the brownie! I'd like to compare ... may need to give it a test. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by lc-chica (Post 16436402)
Ive only tried the really small ones, the 50 calorie ones. I checked today and mine (chocolate) have 6 grams fiber. Not super filling though, I have only had it once on a DD. However that was early in my Judd journey, so who knows.

You're right! 6 grams fiber. Even better!
For me, they aren't immediately filling. But after maybe 20 minutes, when consumed with a beverage? I've really started to notice a satiating effect for me. I may not have early in my JUDDD journey though. :)

jdforshort 05-24-2013 02:54 PM

Have to check this one out, Chris! Sounds great to have with my afternoon Tea!:goodpost:

Kismet311 05-25-2013 08:08 AM

I've had the 100 calorie chocolate pomegranate brownie (or cake I forget) and it was pretty good. I keep them in my freezer for a quick snack. I like the cranberry muffin tops too. Can't beat it for 100 calories! I will have to look for the 50 calorie ones also.

stephdray 05-30-2013 06:49 PM

Am going to keep these in my freezer for all down days. They are now a staple. I never expect them to fill me up for the day but they almost always do if I drink a cup of tea with a brownie about 1pm, I can go till dinner without misery.

Kismet311 05-30-2013 07:01 PM

Now that we get free coffee at work I might keep one in the freezer at work for DDs. Maybe the liquid you drink with the brownie makes it (the fiber in it) expand and make you fuller LOL

Kimmietoo 05-30-2013 07:25 PM

Something new to check on...thanks JBs!

Kimmie

sorenkkg 05-30-2013 09:52 PM

I'll be in CA in a couple weeks and will totally try these! Also found a davids tea near my hotel so i can try it with my fav tea!

stephdray 06-03-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kismet311 (Post 16447801)
Now that we get free coffee at work I might keep one in the freezer at work for DDs. Maybe the liquid you drink with the brownie makes it (the fiber in it) expand and make you fuller LOL

That might be it. I dunno. But I'm not gonna knock a good thing. Whatever works.

luvmyzoe 06-03-2013 04:08 PM

I found them at my local Safeway here in California, but they were over $6 for 4!! Ouch! A little too steep for a "snack" for me......

Kismet311 06-03-2013 04:27 PM

Yikes! I only get them when they are on sale 2/$7. Regular price is over $4 a box. I had a coupon a few times but I really don't like spending that much!