Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 08:14 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: QuietStorm
Stats: 168/168/120s
WOE: LC/JUDDD
Start Date: 5/15/13
First Week Question

Hi Everyone,

I just introduced myself over on the "introduce yourself" thread. I am new to JUDDD but a veteran of Atkins. I am hoping to combine the two to lose weight a bit faster. Also, the convenience of JUDDD and some IF-ing really appeals to me. I find if I plan what I am going to eat on certain days - and know it's very little - then I don't worry. I also know that I just don't eat after 3 p.m. Case Closed, no obsessing, no worry!

Anyway, my question: today I gained a pound, which never ever happened when I did Atkins. I always consistently lost. I know I only started, but still:
Here's what I've been doing. My UD/DD numbers are: 2011 and 402 in 20% wt. loss mode and with no exercise (although I do leisurely walk everyday - about 2 miles and am starting Callanetics). I just don't think it's enough to merit light exercise because I don't break a sweat.

So, here's what I did all week:

Monday: 910 Calories (medium day prior to starting and coming off a pretty serious weekend binge).
Tuesday: 400 Calories
Wed. 1262 Calories.
Thurs. 362 Calories.

Why, after a DD, am I up a pound? I had no sodium. Is this a bad sign? Should I just hang in there?

Thanks for any advice and I am glad to meet you all and be a part of this group!
-QS
QuietStorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2013, 08:17 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Your calories seem high. I can verify if you give me age, gender, height, and weight.

Also, if your calories are correct, you're eating way too little on your UD. The magic lies in the swing between the UD and DD. You're not getting that eating only 1200 for your UD.

Weight loss is not linear, especially with JUDDD, and one pound isn't even a minor blip in the road. I wouldn't worry about it at all, but I would want to make sure you have your calories figured correctly, and that you're following them.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:28 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

oops - I mean, 1810 and 362. I lost track of the exact #'s (going by 1800 and 350 this week) and then when I retyped the data had the age wrong.

Yes, I thought that perhaps I needed to have at least a 1,000 point spread on UDs. The first one was a bit low, but I have calorie fear (a colleague recently told me 1500 was way too much for any woman and I am trying to get over that!!!).

Anyway, thanks for your advice. I will hang in there.....
Old 05-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

and will eat more today since it's an UD
Old 05-17-2013, 08:31 AM   #5

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
That's the spirit!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:58 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DeltaBigBoy
Stats: 342/263.4/?160?
WOE: Intermittent Fasting
Don't let the scale get u down. I usually weigh myself everyday or other day. I fluctuate constantly, sometimes as much as 8 lbs. Just something to get used to.

Like Dawn said. Get your UDs up. Eat!!

Last edited by DeltaBigBoy; 05-17-2013 at 09:00 AM..
DeltaBigBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
Something I started doing when I first started JUDDD was I went online and found a weightloss calendar and printed it. Everyday I would weigh myself and after a while I was able to know by the bounces what my new low weight was gonna be by the end of the week. Dont let the bounces get you upset, they are a part of the whole process!!! I found for me personally when I would find myself higher at after a DD, I would be 2-3 pounds lower for the week! You will start to see your own pattern!

Also you really need to get within atleast 100 calories of your UD's!!! I learned the hardway that! I started keeping hard boiled eggs around, and when I was short on my calories I would have one or two or three depending. It helps!! Besides if you can have 500 more calories in a day why not use them before your fasting day!!!

1st goal 163 puts me at Overweight!
2nd goal 139 puts me at Healthy weight!
3rd goal 125 puts me at Goal!

Long term, realistic goal....no medications!
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I agree with what everyone has said so far. Definitely get in those UD calories. And forget about anything a colleague/friend/relative tells you about weight loss or health (unless they happen to be an expert in that field, and even then sometimes...). Most people don't know what the heck they're talking about, but love to spout off. Most people get their health info from the likes of Dr. Oz (I'm no fan, sorry if anyone is) who seems to flip flop and give out contradicting advice at every turn.

The bounce is perfectly normal. Check out our daily weigh in threads - there's a new one each month, so you could even go back and look at past months. We all have the ups and downs, but the trend is usually a pronounced down.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:46 AM   #9

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
I agree with you LCG! DR OZ is a quack. I heard him say once that if you couldn't lose the 20 pounds you needed to lose, then you should look into weight loss surgery. REALLY for 20 pounds?
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Everyone - Delta and Krow!....I am eating now and it feels good, I must say. I was a little sluggish, too, as I am getting used to things. I am at 1477 right now (and 18.8 total carbs) and that's with enjoying heavy cream in my coffee! I try not to eat past 3 p.m. (due to my IF-ing) but since I have so many cals. left, I may have another snack before I leave the house at 5 p.m. And, I don't feel bloated!

And, yes, I will keep track of my patterns of loss. It's way too early, I think to tell anything. I learned a lot about how my body reacts by doing Atkins last summer and journaling so I will learn to pay attention again, I am sure! I may also be bloated because my body isn't used to DD's just yet.

My colleague is not an expert by far - the only authority she has is that her partner lost some weight on the paleo plan and she keeps close tabs on everything her family eats. But, she doesn't study this stuff in any scientific way - just probably subscribes to the general belief that lower cal all the time is always better....And, if I do say, she has a prejudice against people who cannot "control" their eating, in her opinion. A pain!
Old 05-17-2013, 12:14 PM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quiet Storm, if you are JUDDDing, you are IFing. Eating within a certain time frame (or window) is also IFing, but without fasting eod. You can still eat within a certain time and JUDDD, but there's no need to not eat after 3 pm, if you're fasting the next day anyway. Dr. Johnson calls it fasting if it's 35% or under your daily caloric needs.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
QuietStorm! Try not to worry about the bounce. Weightloss on juddd is not linear. Check this out The daily bounce doesn't rock my world (anymore)
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:47 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Ug, fellow anti- Dr Oz'er here too!
QS - sounds like you're off to a great start, with some number tweaks already recommended. Let us know how you fair with the new targets!
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:09 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DeltaBigBoy
Stats: 342/263.4/?160?
WOE: Intermittent Fasting
Not a Dr. Oz fan either. Seems like a flip flopper driven by money.
DeltaBigBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:20 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Wow - thanks Carly! That does help. Looks like we have similar stats, too, so it's extra helpful

I am putting the scale away on Tuesday (I just want to track my own progress in a week), but today it went down - after my UD - 2 pounds (at 166 today). So, it looks like I had to gain to lose, which seems about right with JUDDD. So, all's well!

What I really like is that I had more dairy than I usually would yesterday - all within Atkins plan limits, but still.

So, today is my DD and I am still trying to figure that out. Sorry - chatty today: I generally do one meal, which is a veggie smoothie with SF protein powder and some almonds. I know the almonds are high caloric, but they are satiating. I generally use the rest on coconut oil so I can keep my fats high enough and some broth if I need it. Also, if I stay to these foods, I stay on plan. I am TERRIBLE when it comes to moderation. I don't trust myself just yet to have the control to eat a low-cal meal of real food and not have seconds.

As far as OZ goes: if one just goes to his website and clicks around on the varying links, you'll see highly contradictory information - from low-cal to low-carb to fruits are bad to eat this fruit and lose weight, etc. I agree that it's all about the $$$$, and who is paying him this week to endorse X product/supplement/book, etc.